PDA

View Full Version : Cow Palace Gun Ban.

nicki
04-27-2009, 4:06 PM
Went to Sac today, interesting watching the Senate working on other bills.

The money issue is really on everyone's mind.

When it came to talk on Leno's bill, only one person from San Fran spoke for it.

CRPA, NRA, GOC and the NSSF all spoke against it.

I got a chance to make a few comments, I just couldn't resist mentioning about Nordyke and how the 2nd amendment now applies in Cali.

I suggested to the Senate that it might be prudent to hold of on all guns until the legal issues are settled. Lawsuits are expensive.

Mark Leno made a closing statement in support of his bill. He said that he introduced it at the request of the SF Board of supervisors.

Here is the real public safety concern he brought up, I'm not kidding.

There is a middle school 500 feet from the COW Palace and holding gun shows is a danger to the children.

Well, I guess I am really OLD SCHOOL, because back in the day when I went to school, I went MONDAY THRU FRIDAY and had WEEKENDS OFF.

Now, the COW PALACE has other things and if we ban gun shows for the sake of the children, what is the next thing they will ban.

If Gun shows are gone under the premise of protecting the children, how long will it be before someone goes after the EXOTIC EROTIC BALLS that are held around Halloween and NEW YEAR'S EVE.

Nicki

IGOTDIRT4U
04-27-2009, 4:17 PM
Good for you for getting the Nordyke comment out there. At least the legislature can't say they did not know about when they propose bills for now on that are very likely to be struck as illegal in view of Heller/Nordryke.

Legasat
04-27-2009, 4:54 PM
Let's see...

How many years have they been holding guns shows there? How many children have died as a result?

Hmmm...

fairfaxjim
04-27-2009, 5:03 PM
I bet if you got the real stats, there are more assaults on the grounds of the middle school in that neighborhood than at the Cow Palace, particularly during gun shows.
Let's see Mark, Sat & Sun 3 or 4 times a year, several thousand people WHO KNOW HOW TO HANDLE FIREARMS, along with a boat load of uniformed LEO's inside and out, compared to the remaining 357 days a year with all of the gang bangers, jr. gang bangers, gang banger wanna-be's that go to and hang out at the middle school. I think we should have someone sponsor a bill to close the middle school since it is too dangerous for those kids. (Smilie purposly left blank!)

Mark Leno actually does try to do something for his constituents, neither I nor most on this board would agree with what they want, but he tries. I think he has just been doing goofy things for goofy constituents for so long he can no longer separate out the lunacy from the plain old ridiculous.

m0topilot
04-27-2009, 6:01 PM
Nicki, thanks for going and the report back.

When I was a kid I used to go to the WWF wrestling matches and I saw a dude drunk off his mind slamming one of those huge metal parking rails... I have never seen anything like that a Gun show.

Ishoot
04-27-2009, 6:18 PM
Hey thanks for the update. Interesting on how Leno justifies his stand.

B Strong
04-27-2009, 6:28 PM
Thanks for the hard work Nicki.

WileyWilly
04-27-2009, 7:59 PM
I was searching for something else and came up with this gem:
http://www.closup.umich.edu/research/workingpapers/papers/gunshows-sept08-final.pdf

It's 49 pages but the conclusion starts on page 33

VII. Conclusion
Thousands of gun shows take place in the U.S. every year. Gun control advocates argue
that the “gun show loophole” that exists in many states makes it easier for potential criminals to
obtain a gun. Gun shows may also affect suicide rates by increasing the ease with which
individuals who are contemplating suicide can obtain a more lethal device. On the other hand,
opponents of gun show regulations argue that gun shows are innocuous because potential
criminals and other individuals can acquire guns easily through other channels.
In this paper, we have investigated the effect of gun shows using eleven years of data on
the date and location of every gun show in the states of California and Texas, the nation’s two
most populous states. We have combined this with information on the date, location, and cause
of every death occurring in these same two states during our eleven-year study period. We focus
our attention on homicides and suicides, with firearms accounting for 61 percent of the combined
106,205 deaths from these two causes in California and Texas during the 1994 to 2004 period.
Our identification strategy tests whether the number of homicides or suicides changes in
the weeks immediately following a gun show. We investigate separate models for the two states
given that they sit at opposite ends of the spectrum with respect to their regulation of gun shows,
with California arguably the strictest and Texas among the least stringent.
To the extent that regulations such as those in place in California reduce any deleterious effects of gun shows, one
might expect to detect a larger effect in a relatively unregulated state such as Texas.
Our results, however, provide no evidence to suggest that gun shows lead to a substantial
increase in the number of homicides or suicides in either California or Texas. If anything, we
find evidence of a modest decline in the number of homicides following the average gun show in
Texas, though our aggregate implied effects amount to just one percent of all homicides in the
state of Texas. Taken together, our results suggest that gun shows do not increase the number of
homicides or suicides and that the absence of gun show regulations does not increase the number
of gun-related deaths as proponents of these regulations suggest.

Steyr_223
04-27-2009, 8:51 PM
Thanks for speaking up Nicki!

Trader Jack
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
:thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to make your case. We need more of that type of action.

It is a lot more productive then supporting a business in central Ca. that is circumventing the law by putting "rube Goldberg" fixes on assault weapons so they can sell them at a 150% markup.

Can'thavenuthingood
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Nice find WileyWilly, 2 states treating gun shows differently with no difference. Somebody been hiding that study?

Thanks Nicki for jumping up there and speaking your piece. More of us need to do that at the local level City Council mtgs as well as the state level.

Vick

Can'thavenuthingood
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
:thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to make your case. We need more of that type of action.

It is a lot more productive then supporting a business in central Ca. that is circumventing the law by putting "rube Goldberg" fixes on assault weapons so they can sell them at a 150% markup.

Its the convoluted laws that makes Captialism get all knotted up trying to survive.

Vick

glockwise2000
04-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey thanks for the update. Interesting on how Leno justifies his stand.

eeeee but failed.

cousinkix1953
04-28-2009, 5:37 AM
Went to Sac today, interesting watching the Senate working on other bills.

The money issue is really on everyone's mind.

When it came to talk on Leno's bill, only one person from San Fran spoke for it.

CRPA, NRA, GOC and the NSSF all spoke against it.

I got a chance to make a few comments, I just couldn't resist mentioning about Nordyke and how the 2nd amendment now applies in Cali.

I suggested to the Senate that it might be prudent to hold of on all guns until the legal issues are settled. Lawsuits are expensive.

Mark Leno made a closing statement in support of his bill. He said that he introduced it at the request of the SF Board of supervisors.

Here is the real public safety concern he brought up, I'm not kidding.

There is a middle school 500 feet from the COW Palace and holding gun shows is a danger to the children.

Well, I guess I am really OLD SCHOOL, because back in the day when I went to school, I went MONDAY THRU FRIDAY and had WEEKENDS OFF.

Now, the COW PALACE has other things and if we ban gun shows for the sake of the children, what is the next thing they will ban.

If Gun shows are gone under the premise of protecting the children, how long will it be before someone goes after the EXOTIC EROTIC BALLS that are held around Halloween and NEW YEAR'S EVE.

Nicki
San Fransicko even has a Hookers Ball, and prostitution is illegal. Is a medical marijuana ball, featuring stoners from the local rock bands far behind?

Jeff P
04-28-2009, 6:25 AM
Nicki,

Thank you for standing up and speaking on this issue.

Untamed1972
04-28-2009, 8:32 AM
I bet if you got the real stats, there are more assaults on the grounds of the middle school in that neighborhood than at the Cow Palace, particularly during gun shows.
Let's see Mark, Sat & Sun 3 or 4 times a year, several thousand people WHO KNOW HOW TO HANDLE FIREARMS, along with a boat load of uniformed LEO's inside and out, compared to the remaining 357 days a year with all of the gang bangers, jr. gang bangers, gang banger wanna-be's that go to and hang out at the middle school. I think we should have someone sponsor a bill to close the middle school since it is too dangerous for those kids. (Smilie purposly left blank!)

Mark Leno actually does try to do something for his constituents, neither I nor most on this board would agree with what they want, but he tries. I think he has just been doing goofy things for goofy constituents for so long he can no longer separate out the lunacy from the plain old ridiculous.

Ditto that.....When I'm at a gunshow I always think of that sticker I often see sold somewhere at the same show that says "A gun society is a polite society." Of all the large public events one can attend I find the people at gunshows to be the most polite. Even with the madhouse at the ammo tables at the last couple of shows, people are still very polite, no pushing or shoving or cutting in line or loudmouth obnoxious behavior and all the other crap one usually has to deal with at a crowded public event.

dfletcher
04-28-2009, 9:36 AM
San Fransicko even has a Hookers Ball, and prostitution is illegal. Is a medical marijuana ball, featuring stoners from the local rock bands far behind?

All in favor of Stoners at the Cow Palace raise your hands. :clap:

cousinkix1953
04-28-2009, 7:56 PM
The Hookers Ball is around Halloween on a weekend...

nicki
04-29-2009, 1:05 PM
All in favor of Stoners at the Cow Palace raise your hands.

Well, Carlos Santana did publically state that if Marijuania was legalized his guitar solos would get really lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.:43:

There was even a comment by I believe Sen Runner that the state was even considering selling the "Cow Palace" at one time and if that ever happened, the bill would be moot.

Nicki

johnny_22
04-29-2009, 2:09 PM
Last year, when his bill came up in committee, no one could understand how a popular hall could be considered surplus, since it was in use for rodeos, trade shows, concerts, and some gun shows.

Yee backed down and made his bill only concern the upper parking lot.

fairfaxjim
04-29-2009, 2:21 PM
Last year, when his bill came up in committee, no one could understand how a popular hall could be considered surplus, since it was in use for rodeos, trade shows, concerts, and some gun shows.

Yee backed down and made his bill only concern the upper parking lot.

That sounds like SF reasoning - since you can't shut it down, take a venue that may be one of the few in/around SF with proper parking and sell off the parking. At least if you can't shut it down, you can make it impossible to attend the events there. That Leland Yee has learned well! Who the hell votes for these zeros???:confused: