PDA

View Full Version : Armed Continental pilot gets neighbor's wrath / paranoia

alpha_romeo_XV
04-27-2009, 2:23 PM
Saw a local news clip last night that had some firearms/2A tones to it. San Marcos Calif, some “neighbors”/soccer moms tried to file R/O against ex-marine pilot, now Continental Air pilot, essentially because he "owned" a handgun. The handgun, is the one which he is now allowed to carry in the cockpit at his job, post 911. Could only find a video link for the story ~4 minutes, sorry no hard copy on-line, but not a bad watch.

http://www.10news.com/video/19302557/index.html

New couple to the neighborhood has 4 year old w autism. Kid gets picked on by the others and his dad probably had a reasonable talk with their parents. Neighbors make issue that dad “has a gun” and he or the boy will use it (against them). 3 families file for R/O against the austism family attempting to confine them to their house and driveway. :TFH:

Good news! Judge rules against the R/O (unfounded) and awards the austism family $12,000 in attorneys fees.:p I guess the soccer dads are going to be a bit alarmed at the bill their wives caused them in their zeal to make the world a safer place.

The only firearm in question was the handgun pilot had for his job. But I'm glad to see a judge that ruled in favor of 2A and against irrational fears. A couple of questions this story posed for me about armed pilots:

1. Is the HG issued to the pilot by TSA or is it a personal weapon?
2. If issued, what is the std model / caliber? I would guess you want frangible ammo in an aircraft
3. Does it stay in the cockpit (truck gun) or do they carry back and forth from home to airport?

Hoop
04-27-2009, 2:28 PM
Yeah I saw that, stupid yuppies. Thankfully the guy won.

pullnshoot25
Right on. Serves that stupid soccer mom right.

ke6guj
2. If issued, what is the std model / caliber? I would guess you want frangible ammo in an aircraft
3. Does it stay in the cockpit (truck gun) or do they carry back and forth from home to airport?

IIRC, it is issued by the TSA. It is a SIG, and is issued along with a TSA-approved Holster that the handgun is to be locked in. Apparently, the required locking method has caused at least one ND.

hoffmang
04-27-2009, 2:30 PM
Here is the list of TSA approved firearms (http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/editorial_2273.shtm) though I have read conflicting data that they can only use an H&K in .40S&W.

Pilots have poor rules about when they have to lock and unlock a special holster that the handgun is kept in. They carry it with them to and from the plane.

-Gene

grahlaika
04-27-2009, 2:33 PM
I wonder how the neighbors found out he had a handgun in the first place. I don't tell anyone other than my wife that I have any weapons, much less my neighbors.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-27-2009, 2:34 PM
Wow, what dickheads for neighbors. Sounds like the wives got a lot more than they bargained for when they made this crap up.

Silencer
04-27-2009, 2:37 PM
I like this story. Puts a smile on my face. :)

I'm mad at the judge, though. He/she should have ordered a 72 hour psych evaluation on the soccer idiots. Irrational fears are a form of mental illness, you know?

AEC1
04-27-2009, 2:41 PM
I go shooting with 4 of the 6 neighbors on my street...

IGOTDIRT4U
04-27-2009, 2:48 PM
I like this story. Puts a smile on my face. :)

I'm mad at the judge, though. He/she should have ordered a 72 hour psych evaluation on the soccer idiots. Irrational fears are a form of mental illness, you know?

lol, that woul dbe funny, especially if they later try to buy a gun, or already have one! (Never know what the husbands don't tell the wives)

Vtec44
04-27-2009, 2:48 PM
Wow, that's a heart warming story. It makes me smile that stupid people don't always get away with filing baseless lawsuits.

bulgron
04-27-2009, 2:51 PM
Brings a whole new meaning to the term, "Desperate housewives," doesn't it?

Untamed1972
04-27-2009, 2:53 PM
The names of those idiot soccer moms should be plaster all over the place so everyone can know what f-ing idiots they are!!!

Glad to see the judge gave them a $12K kick in the butt too!

Scotty
04-27-2009, 3:02 PM
The dad should use the money and file a R/O against the other kids and moms for picking on a Autistic kid.

SenorJefe
04-27-2009, 3:06 PM
Here is the list of TSA approved firearms (http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/editorial_2273.shtm) though I have read conflicting data that they can only use an H&K in .40S&W.

Pilots have poor rules about when they have to lock and unlock a special holster that the handgun is kept in. They carry it with them to and from the plane.

-Gene

That is 100% correct. TSA only allows HK .40s

JDay
04-27-2009, 3:09 PM
The only firearm in question was the handgun pilot had for his job. But I'm glad to see a judge that ruled in favor of 2A and against irrational fears. A couple of questions this story posed for me about armed pilots:

1. Its issued, choice between H&K P2000 and a Sig (P226?)
2. .40S&W afaik
3. Stays in the cockpit, firearms are not allowed into the passenger area of commercial aircraft. Pilot takes the pistol with him when leaving the plane, has to be locked up during transport through the airport.

JDay
04-27-2009, 3:11 PM

-Gene

Wow, they've added a lot of firearms to that list.

truthseeker
04-27-2009, 3:17 PM
I wonder if all of those are on the "CA Roster"?

Legasat
04-27-2009, 3:23 PM
Glad to hear the Pilot beat their ***.

swaits
04-27-2009, 3:36 PM
1. issued HK USP 40 Compact
2. non frangible ammo (surprising but true)
3. carried - able to bypass the TSA checkpoint shenanigans with credentials

CWM4A1
04-27-2009, 3:42 PM
It's nice to know this judge still have some common sense. I would believe husbands of those 3 families who filed RO against the pilot should've known what their wives are doing; but if not, these ladies sure got a lot to explain why there is an extra $4000 expense. "Uh... I am sorry hon, my irrational fear and stupidity got the best of me..."

wash
04-27-2009, 3:49 PM
I'm sure that $12,000 only covered his legal fees.

He should have got money for damages, including the cost of moving away from those idiots.

slick_711
04-27-2009, 3:51 PM

Interesting story, glad the court did right by everyone involved.

As to your questions, there may be some variation, but from what I've seen:

The Air Marshalls (armed Federal agent riding as passenger) carry Sigs in .357Sig, and do use frangible ammunition. The FFDOs ("Federal Flight Deck Officers", the actual armed pilots) carry HK P2000s in .40S&W, I don't think it was frangible ammo but I don't remember for certain.

I've never seen an Air Marshall with anything other than a Sig, and I've never seen an FFDO with anything other than an HK. The Air Marshalls have full blown federal agent CCW status and carry through the airport. It is my understanding that the FFDOs are to have their guns locked up (they use a lockable holster) at any time they are not on their plane; but it does remain with them. I think in the case of both types of personnel that the handgun is issued, but I've never asked. I do know HK has a sweet FFDO/LEO purchase deal, and a number of the FFDOs have purchased HK P2000s (which is part of what makes me think they're issued, why buy a 2nd one?).

This is all first hand info garnered from my conversations & observations with both. They do their San Diego quals @ the range I work at. However, there could be regional differences or policies I don't know of.

JDay
04-27-2009, 3:53 PM

He should have got money for damages, including the cost of moving away from those idiots.

Why should he have to move? He won!

RomanDad
04-27-2009, 3:54 PM

Thats a different lawsuit.

Dr Rockso
04-27-2009, 4:11 PM
Favorite quote:

"I am concerned that Gary or his son will gain access to Gary's firearms."
-Kelly Plaster, stupid neighbor

By the way, is the 'autistic child area' sign really necessary? Couldn't it just be a regular 'children at play' sign?

The SoCal Gunner
04-27-2009, 4:20 PM
What dirtbags trying to take away a person's livelihood.

Theseus
04-27-2009, 4:33 PM
:26:

RomanDad
04-27-2009, 4:33 PM
Favorite quote:

"I am concerned that Gary or his son will gain access to Gary's firearms."
-Kelly Plaster, stupid neighbor

By the way, is the 'autistic child area' sign really necessary? Couldn't it just be a regular 'children at play' sign?

Yeah.... That seemed a bit much.

AlexBreya
04-27-2009, 4:34 PM
I wonder how the neighbors found out he had a handgun in the first place. I don't tell anyone other than my wife that I have any weapons, much less my neighbors.

you dont tell ANYONE but your wife and all of us calgunners. :)

radioman
04-27-2009, 4:36 PM
it's fools like that that make it hard to live here, where do they come from? calling CPS taking out R/O's. for what? this man has a hard job, an ill kid, he sounds like a good man! so why should some POS try to f%$# him over like that.12 grand. they got off light, it's because of fools like that we have gun control and not crime control.....

wash
04-27-2009, 4:39 PM
Why should he have to move? He won!
Because moving is expensive and I'm pretty sure the courts won't make the idiots move.

It sounds like they had problems with his autistic son which is not very sympathetic.

Unless the kid is like Chris Chan.

WokMaster1
04-27-2009, 4:48 PM
The media should go ask those idiot moms why they pick on an autistic child. Their face should be shown for all to see. Society should look negatively on these folks.

bombadillo
04-27-2009, 5:35 PM
At least the news seemed to spin the responsible firearms owner for the good of the story this time.

hvengel
04-27-2009, 5:45 PM
The names of those idiot soccer moms should be plaster all over the place so everyone can know what f-ing idiots they are!!!

I guess you didn't watch the video. It had photos of the three woman along with their names and at the end the reporter actually confronted them and they refused to make a statement. They ended up looking very bad. The piece was very sympathetic to the airline pilot and his family.

glock_this
04-27-2009, 5:47 PM
I didn't know San Marcos had yuppies or soccer moms

it would be awesome if anyone knew the 'soccer moms' and could email them this thread to see how many people think them low low low

GunSlinga
04-27-2009, 6:04 PM

Here is a link (http://www.10news.com/news/19306624/detail.html) to a text article.

Unfortunately, it says the $12K was just to reimburse the family's legal fees in defending the frivolous lawsuit.

The three "soccer moms" are all identified by name.

Suvorov
04-27-2009, 6:20 PM
Although this was a righteous decision by the Judge, don't get to starry eyed that it was really a RKBA pro-2nd decision.

Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDOs) are FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS (although with very limited jurisdiction), so the ruling in this case is really no different than if the defendant was FBI, ICE, BP, etc.

A couple other points to clear up about the FFDO program:
1. Issue weapon is ONLY the HK .40 USP Compact with LEM trigger, they DO NOT carry the Sig (Federal Air Marshal) or the P2000 (Boarder Patrol).
2. When not being carried, the weapon must be locked in its holster however the FFDO may transport it in that condition.
3. The FFDOs jurisdiction is limited to the Flight Deck of their aircraft.

Actually, the month's SWAT magazine has a very good article on the program and would be worth reading so people don't have to guess at the facts.

rabagley
04-27-2009, 6:33 PM
It's the fact that the media went with a story that can be summed up as:

"Gun-owning parent of autistic kid wins moronic lawsuit brought by petty and destructive neighbors."

The details of the story do matter, and I don't mean to minimize your argument about the pilot being a LEO of sorts, but it's one of those rare examples where the MSM portrays a gun owner as a good guy with brass knobs on.

The neighbors were smeared up and down the street for their destructive little game, so score one for all gun owners in the MSM!

audiophil2
04-27-2009, 6:34 PM
Although this was a righteous decision by the Judge, don't get to starry eyed that it was really a RKBA pro-2nd decision.

Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDOs) are FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS (although with very limited jurisdiction), so the ruling in this case is really no different than if the defendant was FBI, ICE, BP, etc.

A couple other points to clear up about the FFDO program:
1. Issue weapon is ONLY the HK .40 USP Compact with LEM trigger, they DO NOT carry the Sig (Federal Air Marshal) or the P2000 (Boarder Patrol).
2. When not being carried, the weapon must be locked in its holster however the FFDO may transport it in that condition.
3. The FFDOs jurisdiction is limited to the Flight Deck of their aircraft.

Actually, the month's SWAT magazine has a very good article on the program and would be worth reading so people don't have to guess at the facts.

Correct.
Does the article mention how dangerous the weapon retainment system is to the safety of the deck officers?

ke6guj
04-27-2009, 6:38 PM
Correct.
Does the article mention how dangerous the weapon retainment system is to the safety of the deck officers?

Pzzzcw27iGw

pullnshoot25
04-27-2009, 6:42 PM
Imagine if one OC'd in that locale...

Suvorov
04-27-2009, 6:54 PM
Correct.

The article does in fact mention that there are several issues with the program. I agree with probably the majority here that the locking holster is a bad idea. I oppose it for the same reason that I oppose trigger locks; in my opinion (for what very little it is worth) the ONLY thing that should ever go into the trigger guard is a finger.

That said, the ND on the US AIRWAYS flight was due to the FFDO not following SOP. Still, the FAMS (who oversee the FFDO program) are aware of the holster issues and are currently exploring new options.

slick_711
04-27-2009, 8:24 PM
The holster is a HUGE issue. I once had to cut the lock off of an FFDO's holstered gun because he had lost his keys. And the gun was loaded.

That is the only issue I've see with their training/carry method.

Roadrunner
04-27-2009, 8:35 PM
I see one major mistake that can solve all future accidental discharges and that is to holster and lock the gun without a round in the chamber.

audiophil2
04-27-2009, 9:11 PM
I see one major mistake that can solve all future accidental discharges and that is to holster and lock the gun without a round in the chamber.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. There are specific rules about how the FFDO must handle his weapon that contribute to the level of danger of the holster.
FFDO's should have the same rules as FAM's or any other LEO flying armed.

Tillers_Rule
04-27-2009, 9:14 PM
He needs to counter sue them for being stupid, so glad he won that dumb case.

Suvorov
04-27-2009, 9:44 PM

So you would suggest the pilot not fly with a loaded firearm? Then when Johny Jihad decides to rush the door, the pilot has to draw, rack the slide and then engage? That method only seems to work well in the movies. The amount of time the FFDO has to engage a terrorist may be only seconds.

The last place you want to be load or clear the weapon is in the cockpit of an airliner, airport bathroom, or hotel room.

Hopefully FFDOs will soon be allowed to carry on their persons while transporting firearms, but this will be a wait and see.

A big part of reason for the lock is that Clinton made a law that all Federal LEOs must keep their weapons locked when they are not carrying them.

hoffmang
04-27-2009, 9:49 PM
As an aside. I continue to be positively astounded by the skill set and knowledge that exists on this lowly little internet forum...

-Gene

bernieb90
04-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I would hate to see what these ladies would have done if they had moved next door to a cop, or better yet a SWAT officer. I can see it now "I want a Restraining Order against the cop next door because he has guns". I wonder if these people have ever been on a plane, and thought the pilot was a menace to them, and their children. The outcome should be the same regardless of the reason for the firearms. Lawful possesion of a firearm is lawful possesion of a firearm. He should get a restraining order against them so they don't leave their houses any more, and do stupid things.

N6ATF
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I see some new entries to the no-fly list.

audiophil2
04-27-2009, 10:34 PM
As an aside. I continue to be positively astounded by the skill set and knowledge that exists on this lowly little internet forum...

-Gene

If you only knew what your not allowed to know, then you'd be :eek:

gcvt
04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Ah, it's nice to see stupid soccer moms get their asses handed to them :)

audiophil2
04-27-2009, 11:00 PM
This one hits a nerve with me. I have a 3 year old with autism and, this may be shocking, a gun (or 2).
What happens if one of my neighbors files a RO against me under similar malicious circumstances? I would not want my son any different than he is now and refer to him as "my Heaven on Earth" but I see on a daily basis how he will be treated differently for the rest of his life in a negative manner. It's a shame that I have to set aside money for inevitable legal fees when something like this happens down the road or some other God given, government protected, or morally needed right of his is trampled upon just because he is different.

glockwise2000
04-27-2009, 11:18 PM
F those 3 families who file R/Os. Kudos to the judge. Puts a big smile to my face:)

steel-cut
04-27-2009, 11:34 PM
The dad should use the money and file a R/O against the other kids and moms for picking on a Autistic kid.

+1 and order those stupid soccer moms to attend classes and learn about autistic children and be less self centered.

pullnshoot25
04-28-2009, 1:39 AM
+1 and order those stupid soccer moms to attend classes and learn about autistic children and be less self centered.

+1. I have only met one autistic child and he lives down the street from me. Other than being undiagnosed until I brought it up at age 11 and being a little bit on the strange side, he was/is a good kid. It turns out that he is a higher functioning autistic with a scarily good tendency towards math.

My little niece has some autistic tendencies (referring to herself in the third person, etc) but she is a total sweetheart.

wildhawker
04-28-2009, 5:31 AM
I doubt there would be any bridge-building with a sentence of court-ordered classes or sensitivity training, nor much to be gained. Better a quick end to the entire situation.

Vectrexer
04-28-2009, 6:40 AM
The best outcome of this involvement of the courts is the established history of the harassing, and in my opinion lying, mothers next door.

They just gave the pilot and his family the best evidence in the world they are unjust, paranoid people. Great to use in fighting any future issues.

Also good to use in showing what a bunch of bored people with nothing to do in their lives can resort to.

So,,, would this story demonstrate the paranoia of "Soccer Mom's" vs "Hockey Mom's"? Just kidding! My own mother was a soccer mom ho had defensive projectile weapons around when she was alive.

pullnshoot25
04-28-2009, 7:15 AM
The best outcome of this involvement of the courts is the established history of the harassing, and in my opinion lying, mothers next door.

They just gave the pilot and his family the best evidence in the world they are unjust, paranoid people. Great to use in fighting any future issues.

Also good to use in showing what a bunch of bored people with nothing to do in their lives can resort to.

So,,, would this story demonstrate the paranoia of "Soccer Mom's" vs "Hockey Mom's"? Just kidding! My own mother was a soccer mom ho had defensive projectile weapons around when she was alive.

Might want to fix that typo... ehehehe.

BobB35
04-28-2009, 7:22 AM
Where is Jerry brown and the rest of the justice department. Here was a Federal Law enforcement officer who what harassed in multiple ways. Police called, CPS called, his employer called, etc.

I would think the internet was used in many of these cases so couldn't a slander, liable or terrorism charge be brought against these mom. At the least a conspiracy charge, because there were 3 of them that had to get together to make this S*** up.

Wow the priorities of this state are so backwards, it is comical. The coming decade is going to see this state implode under the liberal policies. Just hope it happens before they try to take all you guns...

wash
04-28-2009, 7:44 AM
I really hope that kid isn't like Chris Chan.

That's an autistic guy who has a restraining order against him, he can't go to the mall.

It's entirely justified.

If you don't want to throw up, do not type Chris Chan in to google or read his encyclopedia dramatica entry.

Stan_Humphries
04-28-2009, 9:04 AM
Crazy biased muck-raking media is at it again...

Talk about only showing one side of an issue!

What they aren't telling you is that Gary went over and used harsh words to tell his neighbors to keep their own kids in line. We all have seen this situation before, neighbor one is less than friendly with neighbor two, and the next thing you know it's a McCoy / Hatfield reenactment.

I say kudos for the vigilant soccer moms. They are only concerned that the 4 year old will undo the lock on Gary's holster, pick up the weapon, then muster the 7.3-8.5 lbs of trigger pull it takes to shoot the HK P2000 V2.

Clearly, Gary should be restrained from leaving his property except as otherwise necessary to go to and from work. As for his weapon, can we really trust an armed pilot who has the audacity to let his 4 year old run around the neighborhood and play?

But of course, Gary has a special needs child, so he gets a pass from the bleeding-heart liberal media.

Vtec44
04-28-2009, 9:36 AM
What they aren't telling you is that Gary went over and used harsh words to tell his neighbors to keep their own kids in line.

Even with that, why would you want to get someone fired? That's a bit out of line even if there was a dispute between 2 parents. Why should someone be restrained to only within his property when the police came and had nothing to report regarding the "harsh words" incident?

JWC6
04-28-2009, 9:44 AM
Why, do you know something different?

What they aren't telling you is that Gary went over and used harsh words to tell his neighbors to keep their own kids in line. We all have seen this situation before, neighbor one is less than friendly with neighbor two, and the next thing you know it's a McCoy / Hatfield reenactment.

I say kudos for the vigilant soccer moms. They are only concerned that the 4 year old will undo the lock on Gary's holster, pick up the weapon, then muster the 7.3-8.5 lbs of trigger pull it takes to shoot the HK P2000 V2.

Clearly, Gary should be restrained from leaving his property except as otherwise necessary to go to and from work. As for his weapon, can we really trust an armed pilot who has the audacity to let his 4 year old run around the neighborhood and play?

But of course, Gary has a special needs child, so he gets a pass from the bleeding-heart liberal media.

Jpach
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
This genuinely sickens me. How can people be so irrational and completely clueless about life? Those women are a waste of space and life.

Jpach
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM

This is a joke right? Armed pilot who has the audacity to let his 4 year old run around the neighborhood and play? Restrained from his property? I really hope this is a joke, I cant even take it seriously. If not then YOU are the one who needs to be restrained. Preferably in a room with padded walls.

Theseus
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
It was a joke people! Gee!

Vtec44
04-28-2009, 10:54 AM
It was a joke people! Gee!

I certainly hope so... I was confused for a while there... :D

MP301
04-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah, it was a joke...but it had me going for a second too...I was about to right a novel over here...hahah

zatoh
04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
This one hits a nerve with me. I have a 3 year old with autism and, this may be shocking, a gun (or 2).
What happens if one of my neighbors files a RO against me under similar malicious circumstances? I would not want my son any different than he is now and refer to him as "my Heaven on Earth" but I see on a daily basis how he will be treated differently for the rest of his life in a negative manner. It's a shame that I have to set aside money for inevitable legal fees when something like this happens down the road or some other God given, government protected, or morally needed right of his is trampled upon just because he is different.

Same here X2. My 2 boys (4 and 8, both autistic) are a crack up and make me laugh everyday. My oldest knows the rules but still needs training. The youngest loves hanging from the spokes of the handle on the safe - so we have a bit to go there. In the back of my mind I realize what kind of a stink a "do gooder" neighbor could do just because of what I happen to own. Fortunately my neighbors seem to be level headed and have much better things to do with their lives.

I'm not sure I'd want the sign posted though. I would much prefer that the neighbors take some sort of training/class to learn about autism rather than wallowing in their ignorance/revulsion. Those kids look awesome. They made me smile and brought tears to my eyes at the same time.

When does the defamation suit come out?

bobby56
04-29-2009, 8:40 PM

Page 2 of the California "Notice of Hearing and Temporary Restraining Order" form orders that the you must turn in any guns than you possess or control. The neighbors never had any specific knowledge of any weapons. The neighbors only surmised that because the son was playing cowboy or Marine or police et. al. that there must be a weapon in the house. Otherwise boys never would think to pretend that a stick is a gun.

bobby56
04-29-2009, 8:42 PM
Gun is issued by the TSA, pilot is an FFDO.

bobby56
04-29-2009, 8:48 PM
When a TRO is issued, you have to turn in any guns that you may control or possess. Gary had to disclose that he had the gun and the purpose. Prior to his declaration, the neighbors never knew of the gun or that he was an FFDO. They only surmisec because the son liked to make believe sticks or his fingers were guns. Otherwise, normal little boys don't do things like that!

dreyna14
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
That sounds like an awesome ruling and true justice. There's no reason any god American like this should be subjected to an irrational and frivolous use of the courts. I think that $12,000 isn't quite enough of a punishment for these hippy morons.

DDT
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
When a TRO is issued, you have to turn in any guns that you may control or possess. Gary had to disclose that he had the gun and the purpose. Prior to his declaration, the neighbors never knew of the gun or that he was an FFDO. They only surmisec because the son liked to make believe sticks or his fingers were guns. Otherwise, normal little boys don't do things like that!

The story quotes one of the idiots mothers "in court papers ... Kelly Plaster added, 'I'm concerned that Gary or his son will gain access to Gary's firearms.'"

dirtyJ
04-30-2009, 2:18 AM
I love it when idiotic morons like this get their just desserts. Even more fun that their names and faces got plastered all over the news so the rest of the city can see how worthless they are.

ViPER395
04-30-2009, 8:20 AM
Glad for that outcome!

ENVYGREEN
04-30-2009, 9:32 AM
I didn't know San Marcos had yuppies or soccer moms

it would be awesome if anyone knew the 'soccer moms' and could email them this thread to see how many people think them low low low

Serious? Drive that neighborhood its called san elijo hills, multiply those moms by 1000, bored yuppie suburbia at its best, 20 to 30 moms on organized stroller walks roaming the trails, Try not to puke in your mouth as you drive through.

Untamed1972
04-30-2009, 10:17 AM
The dad should try and file some kind of civil rights suit against those moms for trying to use the sons disability as an excuse to strip the family of it's rights to freedom of movement and so on.

alpha_romeo_XV
04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
One of the reasons I posted this was because when I first saw the news clip I was a truly stunned that it was not a gun bashing story by the media. One poster noted the atypical media coverage with a tongue in cheek post (some may not have recognized his sarcasm right off). I think the autism element clearly helped with media taking a more sensitive and objective look at the situation, however, I think the outcome of legal system was probably atypical as well.

The reason the pilot prevailed was because he put up a good fight, albeit at the cost of high attorney fees. Which is why he was awarded the attorney fee recovery judgment. Many would not have had the money, time, or spirit to fight it. I think they were mostly driven by love to protect their son’s rights. Once the boy gets to school they will have many more battles. When the boy’s mom said “ a part of me died that day (autism diagnosis)” it was not indicating a lack of her love but because she new how the boy would be treated by society for the rest of his life.

I’m sure the neighbor moms thought there would be no consequences to them at all for the grief they tried to impose on the pilot and his family. The mainstream thinking is that you can call 911, CPS, and cry wolf about gun ownership, with total impunity.

I am happy to see that consequences were imposed in this case. Often they are not which is why the behavior has become so prevalent. If I were Gary, I would have filed liens against the houses of each neighbor the next day to protect his recovery of the judgment. This would ding their credit. If the judge did not specify the terms of payment of the judgment, I would file a wage garnishments against the husbands. Then see how they liked those apples?

DDT
04-30-2009, 11:28 AM
The parents should throw an "autism awareness" party at their house once a month and bring in all the kids they know with special needs.

I'm sure the neighbors would worry about it bringing down the home values having all "those people" in the neighborhood.

Untamed1972
04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
If I were Gary, I would have filed liens against the houses of each neighbor the next day to protect his recovery of the judgment. This would ding their credit. If the judge did not specify the terms of payment of the judgment, I would file a wage garnishments against the husbands. Then see how they liked those apples?

Most of the people up in that overpriced neighborhood are prolly upside down on their houses right now anyway.

ENVYGREEN
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
"San Elijo Hills" has such a better ring to it then "the place where the old landfill was"

bobby56
05-06-2009, 7:46 PM
Cam Edwards interviewed Gary Trussell this past Monday night, May 4th in the last hour. Check it out www.nranews.com

bobby56
05-06-2009, 7:47 PM
"San Elijo Hills" has such a better ring to it then "the place where the old landfill was"

Isn't there a quote about a pig and lipstick, it's still a landfill!