PDA

View Full Version : Interesting question on legality with regards to 10rd mags

zcrehan
04-27-2009, 3:19 PM
I recently became the owner of a SigPro 2009 9mm. Unfortunately the firearm came with only 1 magazine.

SigPro 10rd 9mm magazines are in the ~40$ range.
SigPro 10rd .40 magazines are in the ~10$ range.

The .40 mags will function in the sp2009 with 12 rounds of 9mm, is this legal?

I don't wish to break any laws and I am not excited about having a whole 2 more rounds in a mag. What I am excited about is saving 30 dollars per magazine... But I'm guessing this falls into one of those "you could but probably shouldn't" grey areas.

:confused:

wash
04-27-2009, 3:36 PM
You must have forgotten about that box of magazines you stashed away before the ban...

zcrehan
04-27-2009, 3:39 PM
No I still have those but they aren't as pretty as the new ones :)

Untamed1972
04-27-2009, 4:07 PM
Is there a way to put a block in the .40 mags so they will only hold 10rds of 9mm? I know all the "simple possession of hi-caps isn't illegal" thing....but if you want to completely avoid and possible issues then as long as a LEO can't stuff more then 10rds of 9mm in it then you'd have nothing to worry about.

CHS
04-27-2009, 4:08 PM
If you don't modify the magazines in any way, and they feed 9mm without issues, then it's legal.

If you have to modify the magazines to function (like bending the feed lips or something) then you've just manufactured a 12rd mag, which is against the law.

wash
04-27-2009, 4:13 PM
If you don't modify the magazines in any way, and they feed 9mm without issues, then it's legal.

If you have to modify the magazines to function (like bending the feed lips or something) then you've just manufactured a 12rd mag, which is against the law.
Unless they were modified preban...

Untamed1972
04-27-2009, 4:18 PM
Unless they were modified preban...

The question is was the gun the mags go with even made pre-ban?

JDay
04-27-2009, 4:21 PM
The question is was the gun the mags go with even made pre-ban?

That shouldn't matter, there are plenty of pre-ban magazines around that fit into post-ban handguns. I also doubt the police are going to check the capacity of your handgun magazines.

CHS
04-27-2009, 4:29 PM
Pre-ban or not has *NOTHING* to do with this argument and question.

The OP wants to buy brand new mags right now, but he wants to save money by buying the .40S&W mags instead of the 9mm mags which go for more than 30$ more.

If the .40S&W mags work in his 9mm without any modifications whatsoever, but happen to hold 12rd's of 9mm, it doesn't matter. The mags are still legal and legal to use in his firearm.

If the OP has to modify the 10rd .40S&W mags in order to feed properly in the 9mm, then that would be manufacturing and is against the law.

wash
04-27-2009, 4:39 PM
But those magazines he's been sitting on since 1998 are OK.

Even if he dropped a magazine, dented the tube and had to replace it with a new one.

Justin Brimm
04-27-2009, 5:42 PM
More interesting to me is how you're getting 9mm to feed properly out of a .40 magazine. The cartridges are very similar but different enough that 9mm should fit very loosely within the .40 magazine and I don't understand how you wouldn't get feeding problems.

mblat
04-27-2009, 6:03 PM
I understand that search function sucks on this forum..... but common.... this has been beaten to death....

There is absolutely no problem what so ever to put more than 10 rounds in "larger caliber" magazine. Outside of feeding issues if there is any, of cause.

Now.... Of cause DA can charge ham sandwich...... but it is much safer proposition than "finding" some magazines that you "had before the ban" :rolleyes:

CHS
04-27-2009, 6:17 PM
but common

You mean "Come on?"

Common: com⋅mon
   /ˈkɒmən/ –adjective
1. belonging equally to, or shared alike by, two or more or all in question: common property; common interests.