PDA

View Full Version : Anti Gun Author Speaking in Mountain View THIS Wednesday night

GS2AC President
04-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The anti gun author of a book on Columbine will be speaking THIS Wednesday night at Books Inc. 301 Castro St., Mountain View CA 7:30 pm.

The guys name is Dave Cullen . The book is titled " Columbine ". The Brady Center is trying to leverage the Columbine anniversary and this book as part of their fundraising efforts.

I encourage everyone who can to show up and challenge this guy on the facts.

If you want some neat information about Columbine and mass shootings:

1. This article includes testimony from the seller of the TEC 9 used at Columbine. Proves the gun was not bought at gun show as is claimed by Brady Center

Heather Pitzel, " Manes: 'I made a bad mistake' Seller of gun says he had no idea Harris, Klebold dangerous " Rocky Mountain News , April 19, 2004 http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_2819128,00.html

This article includes comments from the Brady Center where they lie about the guns coming from the gun show.... they also call the guns " assault rifles "... when in fact they were semi autos.

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, " Brady Background Checks at Gun Shows: Closing the Gun Show Loophole " http://www.bradycampaign.org/action/gunshowloophole/background/

2. The following articles talk about how gun free zones like that at Columbine lead to high death tolls....... mass shooters look for easy targets.

Ohio trainer makes the case for single-officer entry against active killers
Force Science News May 14 2008
http://www.policeone.com/active-shooter/articles/1695125-Ohio-trainer-makes-the-case-for-single-officer-entry-against-active-killers/

How does one mass shooting beget others?
By Scott Canon McClatchy Newspapers Pantagraph.com Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:50 PM CST
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/20

demnogis
04-27-2009, 10:38 AM
What was that? Show up and carry?

I would definitely love to do so... The Bay Area is too far a drive for me on a weeknight... I doubt I could make it there in 2 hrs from work, even breaking the speed limit on the bike.

Bring your facts with you when you inquire to the validity of the author's book.

vladbutsky
04-27-2009, 7:59 PM
I will be there. It would be nice to have at least a few more people with common sense there. Is anyone else going to visit this event?

GS2AC President
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I will be there. It would be nice to have at least a few more people with common sense there. Is anyone else going to visit this event?

I have talked with a number of people who are planning to attend. I will try and forward their contact info to you tomorrow.

glockwise2000
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
:) :) :)

N6ATF
04-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Ah crap, I just heard him interviewed on John and Ken Saturday and didn't detect VD. Here's the e-mail I sent after the interview and before reading this thread:

I wonder if in your research, you came across the Colorado legislature's final passage of a concealed carry bill on the same day or day before (ach, should have been after) the Columbine massacre. I read that this may have been a factor in planning the massacre to be on that particular day, as a mass murder with guns would almost certainly cause the bill to go down in flames.

JDoe
04-28-2009, 8:25 AM
Looks like it is going to be entertaining to say the least...

MSL209
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Someone NEEDS to bring a video camera.

Flopper
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
i can make it.

are we gonna meet somewhere beforehand, or are we just gonna do the secret handshake so we know who our allies are? :p

PatriotnMore
04-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Will people attending be able to debate his facts, as in this an open discussion?
Or, is this a designed as a medium for the
author to sign and present his book in a manor which does not include answering questions?

I think it is a fair question, so those who may attend can plan for being seen as a heckler, and be treated hostile by the book store.

It might help to have some written literature from reliable sources to hand out to those there, as well as, debate from.

People who are not used to public speaking can become intimidated, lose track of their thought, or fumble for answers, or become flustered in that type of setting. They also have a habit of trying to interrupt, or speak over the other person when they are supplying an answer. How you present yourselves is as important as what you say.

N6ATF
04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Ah crap, I just heard him interviewed on John and Ken Saturday and didn't detect VD. Here's the e-mail I sent after the interview and before reading this thread:

I wonder if in your research, you came across the Colorado legislature's final passage of a concealed carry bill on the same day or day before (ach, should have been after) the Columbine massacre. I read that this may have been a factor in planning the massacre to be on that particular day, as a mass murder with guns would almost certainly cause the bill to go down in flames.

Just got his reply:

Hi JR.

If I am thinking of the same law, it was passed after columbine.

Regardless, they had been planning for at least a year, so nothing that late
Inspired them.

I also saw no sign that they cared about such things. Our laws meant nothing to them.

D

Sent on iPhone. Typed with thumbs.

OldGunTard
04-28-2009, 4:44 PM
OP, are you sure that this guy is particularly anti-gun? Remember, Cullen was the guy on the Maddow show on Columbine where there was hardly even a mention of guns, and there was no mention at all of gun control.

Cullen's reply to N6ATF, "I also saw no sign that they cared about such things. Our laws meant nothing to them." sounds remarkably like a variation on a guns-are-not-the-problem mantra.

Sgt Raven
04-29-2009, 10:32 AM
OP, are you sure that this guy is particularly anti-gun? Remember, Cullen was the guy on the Maddow show on Columbine where there was hardly even a mention of guns, and there was no mention at all of gun control.

Cullen's reply to N6ATF, "I also saw no sign that they cared about such things. Our laws meant nothing to them." sounds remarkably like a variation on a guns-are-not-the-problem mantra.

I heard this guy on Ron Owen's show this morning and he said that Harris and Klebold had "sub-machine guns to mow down the kids that escaped after they set off their bombs". :TFH:

Soldier415
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I always have to miss the fun :(

vladbutsky
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
I just came back from this event.
There were about 40 people and overall event was educational (at least for me). Nobody ever suggested anything about gun control. The author (David Cullen) is an intelligent guy with common sense but not too knowledgeable about guns (not may people are anyway). He multiple times mentioned "automatic" weapons and "fast shooting" shotgun that can shoot once every 8 seconds :)
But I do not believe that he wanted to mislead anyone or make a point there - he just didn't know better and he didn't believe that guns were important in this story. In his view this story is more about psychology of participants and guns are just tools. He stressed that "shooters" plan went wrong for them because their bombs didn't go off so they reverted to secondary tools - guns.
There was one question from the audience about how can we prevent such events from happening again. I was prepared to hear something like "we need to make guns less accessible and blah blah blah..." but instead David said that in most case (about 80%) would-be shooters talk to someone before the action and if these "someones" would listen and take them seriously at least some tragedies could be prevented. Next he said that "zero tolerance" policy in schools makes it a lot more difficult to spot potential active shooters because kids, knowing that telling adults about their friend's "jokes" about guns would bring a lot of trouble to their friend, would not talk! So instead of getting help and potentially preventing bad situation they hesitate to get their friends in trouble because of misunderstood or bad joke.
Overall I would not say that David is anti-gun. He is just not knowledgeable about guns (that is not a big deal at all).:thumbsup:

DDT
04-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Overall I would not say that David is anti-gun. He is just not knowledgeable about guns (that is not a big deal at all).:thumbsup:

Sounds like a range day invite is in order.

N6ATF
04-29-2009, 11:45 PM
The author (David Cullen) is an intelligent guy with common sense but not too knowledgeable about guns (not may people are anyway). He multiple times mentioned "automatic" weapons and "fast shooting" shotgun that can shoot once every 8 seconds :)

Sounds like the slowest shooting shotgun to me.

Sounds like a range day invite is in order.

His e-mail address via PM if anyone wants to invite.

Cru Jones
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Shotgun that can shoot once every 8 seconds? Who's the shooter, a guy with one arm?

DDT
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Shotgun that can shoot once every 8 seconds? Who's the shooter, a guy with one arm?

One arm and a break-gun....

highpowermatch
04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the report vladbutsky! :thumbsup:

Sutcliffe
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like the slowest shooting shotgun to me.

His e-mail address via PM if anyone wants to invite.

Most people have learned a follow up butt to the face is far better and faster than racking the slide on that beast.

N6ATF
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I have played Halo 2 actually.

macadamizer
04-30-2009, 2:05 PM
I just came back from this event.
There were about 40 people and overall event was educational (at least for me). Nobody ever suggested anything about gun control. The author (David Cullen) is an intelligent guy with common sense but not too knowledgeable about guns (not may people are anyway). He multiple times mentioned "automatic" weapons and "fast shooting" shotgun that can shoot once every 8 seconds :)
But I do not believe that he wanted to mislead anyone or make a point there - he just didn't know better and he didn't believe that guns were important in this story. In his view this story is more about psychology of participants and guns are just tools. He stressed that "shooters" plan went wrong for them because their bombs didn't go off so they reverted to secondary tools - guns.
There was one question from the audience about how can we prevent such events from happening again. I was prepared to hear something like "we need to make guns less accessible and blah blah blah..." but instead David said that in most case (about 80%) would-be shooters talk to someone before the action and if these "someones" would listen and take them seriously at least some tragedies could be prevented. Next he said that "zero tolerance" policy in schools makes it a lot more difficult to spot potential active shooters because kids, knowing that telling adults about their friend's "jokes" about guns would bring a lot of trouble to their friend, would not talk! So instead of getting help and potentially preventing bad situation they hesitate to get their friends in trouble because of misunderstood or bad joke.

I couldn't make the talk, but I did hear his interview during the aformentioned Ronn Owens program on KGO, and I came away with the same impressions as vladbutsky -- he was much more interested in the psychology of the situation, and the guns really weren't discussed any more than the bombs. They were just the tools.

OldGunTard
04-30-2009, 9:26 PM
Right, and that was my impression from his appearance on Maddow. Hence my query a little previous in this thread.

Tillers_Rule
04-30-2009, 9:30 PM
Well, that's good to hear. He sounds like an intelligent guy and sound like the event went well!