PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy F'n Carter on a new AWB

berto
04-26-2009, 9:31 PM
I'm about speechless. He's stooped to a new low.
__________________________________________________ ___

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/opinion/27Carter.html?ref=opinion

April 27, 2009
Op-Ed Contributor
What Happened to the Ban on Assault Weapons?

By JIMMY CARTER
Atlanta

THE evolution in public policy concerning the manufacture, sale and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons like AK-47s, AR-15s and Uzis has been very disturbing. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and I all supported a ban on these formidable firearms, and one was finally passed in 1994.

When the 10-year ban was set to expire, many police organizations — including 1,100 police chiefs and sheriffs from around the nation — called on Congress and President George W. Bush to renew and strengthen it. But with a wink from the White House, the gun lobby prevailed and the ban expired.

I have used weapons since I was big enough to carry one, and now own two handguns, four shotguns and three rifles, two with scopes. I use them carefully, for hunting game from our family woods and fields, and occasionally for hunting with my family and friends in other places. We cherish the right to own a gun and some of my hunting companions like to collect rare weapons. One of them is a superb craftsman who makes muzzle-loading rifles, one of which I displayed for four years in my private White House office.

But none of us wants to own an assault weapon, because we have no desire to kill policemen or go to a school or workplace to see how many victims we can accumulate before we are finally shot or take our own lives. That’s why the White House and Congress must not give up on trying to reinstate a ban on assault weapons, even if it may be politically difficult.

An overwhelming majority of Americans, including me and my hunting companions, believe in the right to own weapons, but surveys show that they also support modest restraints like background checks, mandatory registration and brief waiting periods before purchase.

A majority of Americans also support banning assault weapons. Many of us who hunt are dismayed by some of the more extreme policies of the National Rifle Association, the most prominent voice in opposition to a ban, and by the timidity of public officials who yield to the group’s unreasonable demands.

Heavily influenced and supported by the firearms industry, N.R.A. leaders have misled many gullible people into believing that our weapons are going to be taken away from us, and that homeowners will be deprived of the right to protect ourselves and our families. The N.R.A. would be justified in its efforts if there was a real threat to our constitutional right to bear arms. But that is not the case.

Instead, the N.R.A. is defending criminals’ access to assault weapons and use of ammunition that can penetrate protective clothing worn by police officers on duty. In addition, while the N.R.A. seems to have reluctantly accepted current law restricting sales by licensed gun dealers to convicted felons, it claims that only “law-abiding people” obey such restrictions — and it opposes applying them to private gun dealers or those who sell all kinds of weapons from the back of a van or pickup truck at gun shows.
What are the results of this profligate ownership and use of guns designed to kill people? In 2006, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported more than 30,000 people died from firearms, accounting for nearly 20 percent of all injury deaths. In 2005, every nine hours a child or teenager in the United States was killed in a firearm-related accident or suicide.

Across our border, Mexican drug cartels are being armed with advanced weaponry imported from the United States — a reality only the N.R.A. seems to dispute.

The gun lobby and the firearms industry should reassess their policies concerning safety and accountability — at least on assault weapons — and ease their pressure on acquiescent politicians who fear N.R.A. disapproval at election time. We can’t let the N.R.A.’s political blackmail prevent the banning of assault weapons — designed only to kill police officers and the people they defend.

Jimmy Carter, the 39th president, is the winner of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize.

gcvt
04-26-2009, 9:37 PM
Wow, that last sentence is just......wow.

Saigon1965
04-26-2009, 9:39 PM
Carter is still talking - Shouldn't he be down on the peanut farm -

paul0660
04-26-2009, 9:41 PM
I met Jimmy once at a Habitat for Humanity function........he is literally a goober.

yellowfin
04-26-2009, 9:44 PM
Could Rock River, DPMS, Noveske, et al. sue him for this, stating that they deliberately engineer murder?

paintballergb
04-26-2009, 9:44 PM
He is not dead yet?

7x57
04-26-2009, 9:51 PM
It's sort of odd. I got my AK finished (up to the furniture, which I haven't decided on yet) at the build party today, and not once did I think of killing a policeman or shooting up a school. Perhaps I was just too busy trying to finish it--does that delay the onset of the evil thoughts and voices? When should I expect to hear those voices? There are so many owners of evil rifles on Calguns that surely someone can clue me in about how this process works.

7x57

jasilva
04-26-2009, 9:53 PM
He is not dead yet?

Unfortunately only his brain, but not his mouth.

dasmi
04-26-2009, 9:54 PM
What an *******. Yes, he should be sued.

Two Shots
04-26-2009, 9:59 PM
Wow, Carter's peanuts have killed more people then my AK.

About 100 people per year die from peanut allergies.
My AK has a zero record.

Peanuts have been singled out for Salmonella poisoning and have been recalled, but some run and do need to be hunted down........By Mr. Peanut hisself.
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/Mr_Peanut_Warning.jpg
http://www.2dolphins.com/images/blogpix/assaulted-peanut.jpg

lioneaglegriffin
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
It's sort of odd. I got my AK finished (up to the furniture, which I haven't decided on yet) at the build party today, and not once did I think of killing a policeman or shooting up a school. Perhaps I was just too busy trying to finish it--does that delay the onset of the evil thoughts and voices? When should I expect to hear those voices? There are so many owners of evil rifles on Calguns that surely someone can clue me in about how this process works.

7x57

run a wet patch of holy water, every so often and that that should keep the demons at bay.

oh and have a priest bless it too that should keep the demons out for maybe a month. (unless its a black AK they are the spawn of the devil in which case you should just burn it)

Travis8128
04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
because kids with every ak47 and ar15 10 police officers and 15 women and children die. The statistics in my head prove it!!

This guy needs to take a break.

Id like to see the percentage of LEGALLY owned ar15's or ak47's have been used in crime.

Im sure its a very very tiny percentage.

Seesm
04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
He is a toolshed.... (waaay past just being a tool) I was a little kid when he was our president but now I know why some people I new (adults) did not like him... He is lame.... Yeah that final sentence is truly hurtful seriously i have never thought off killing cops... wtf?

RomanDad
04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Did you hear Ben & Jerry's is naming a Flavor after him?

"Just Plains Nuts"

lioneaglegriffin
04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
because kids with every ak47 and ar15 10 police officers and 15 women and children die. The statistics in my head prove it!!

This guy needs to take a break.

Id like to see the percentage of LEGALLY owned ar15's or ak47's have been used in crime.

Im sure its a very very tiny percentage.

even real assualt weapons (class III guns) arent used in crimes.

04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
The gun lobby and the firearms industry should reassess their policies concerning safety and accountability — at least on assault weapons — and ease their pressure on acquiescent politicians who fear N.R.A. disapproval at election time. We can’t let the N.R.A.’s political blackmail prevent the banning of assault weapons — designed only to kill police officers and the people they defend.

I guess that Jimmy has forgotten that police are under no obligation to defend me.

lioneaglegriffin
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I guess that Jimmy has forgotten that police are under no obligation to defend me.

to forget something you have to know it in the first place. ;)

yellowfin
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
I wonder if even suing him as being an NRA member myself as well as an aR15 owner. Is this not clear libel?

SKSer
04-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Its Jimmy F***ing Carter for crying out load, who cares what this weiner thinks.

lioneaglegriffin
04-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I wonder if even suing him as being an NRA member myself as well as an aR15 owner. Is this not clear libel?

i dunno does generalizing an entire group of people count as libel or does it have to be a specific person?

such as asians can't shoot cuz they have slanty eyes (racist i know)

or jay araki hit runs over puppies because he cannot see.

Legasat
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Up until Carter, ex-presidents went home and got on with their life or wrote their memoirs. If they did give a speech, it was about old events and historical perspective. They made loads of money and kept their mouth shut.

Hard to believe this guy is Naval Academy Grad and a former Boomer Skipper.

He really needs to stick to peanuts.

tombinghamthegreat
04-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Its disturbing to see a former president imply that people who own military style rifles are criminals who are out to kill people....its a sign that we must be ready for the liberal agenda to start sweeping though the US, hopefully heller along with the post cases will stop the anti gun movement.

ZRX61
04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Uzi's are semi automatics????

Soldier415
04-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't know whether to vomit in disgust or smack the crap out of a bag of peanuts

GW
04-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Poor ol' Jimmy
This is just his way of saying
"I'm not dead yet!"

Still trying to be relevant...:rolleyes:

StudioDison
04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
He is not dead yet?

Ya, no kidding. He is past due.

MP301
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Jimmy Carter against AW's? NO! Duh, no surprise here

Roadrunner
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Well, we could fill up his mailbox with alot of email and tell him what a POS he is and was as President, or we could ignore his rantings and conclude that he's just an old man seeking attention. I think everyone's energy is better spent keeping the banners paranoid about implementing a new ban. He has no more power than anyone else that spouts the same garbage. If we ignore him, he will go away.

vrylak
04-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Pity this old man. The guy has no idea what the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights truly is.

gcvt
04-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Pity this old man. The guy has no idea what the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights truly is.

That qualifies him to run for Governor.

Seesm
04-27-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey you all know he (jimmy) probably still has secret service protecting him....Yes no maybe? I am gonna lean towards YES.

gcvt
04-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Hey you all know he (jimmy) probably still has secret service protecting him....Yes no maybe? I am gonna lean towards YES.

I think all former Presidents that are still living do.

Seesm
04-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah I get that butI bet they are using "nra blackmailed cop killers" yes no maybe? :P

CCWFacts
04-27-2009, 12:35 AM

Yes, every living former president has Secret Service protection for life. For himself, and probably also his immediate family. Jim Carter will never have to worry about being mugged, or having someone break into his house, having someone attack his daughter, or having to wait for the bus, or being shot in a mass shooting. All of those things are nearly impossible because he will have the top protective service in the world guarding him and his family as long as he is alive. Oh, and this protective service can carry any type of weapon they can dream up, including on airplanes and probably also on most international trips.

If AWs are not appropriate for us to have, then he can take the first step and get his SS guards to ditch their M4s and machine guns, and switch to pepper spray (where legal).

Dark&Good
04-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Tell me, Jimmy, why aren't you as enthusiastic about the Bill of Rights as you are about sh**tin* on it?
You know what, Jimmy? Even on my planet, there is a tiny minority that occasionally wanna try to play tricks on us. And you know what we do?
We grab one of those new Xanthic Re-Structron Destabilized Zenon Emitters...

Nodda Duma
04-27-2009, 6:32 AM
I don't know whether to vomit in disgust or smack the crap out of a bag of peanuts

ok I lol'ed on this one.

-Jason

HowardW56
04-27-2009, 6:42 AM
WHat is different about that statement and his attitudes while he was president?

Gator Monroe
04-27-2009, 7:03 AM
The Democrat party is the Anti-Party (And no ammount of middle of the road blue dogs and oppertunist hunters like Kerry & Clinton should chang anyones mind about this !)

Gator Monroe
04-27-2009, 7:10 AM
That qualifies him to run for Governor.

He already was Gov , where were you ?:confused:

GP3
04-27-2009, 7:12 AM
Wow. I didn't know the AR15 was designed to kill cops.

What about cops that carry AR15s in their patrol car? Are they hunting their fellow brethren?

fairfaxjim
04-27-2009, 7:47 AM
Up until Carter, ex-presidents went home and got on with their life or wrote their memoirs. If they did give a speech, it was about old events and historical perspective. They made loads of money and kept their mouth shut.

Hard to believe this guy is Naval Academy Grad and a former Boomer Skipper.

He really needs to stick to peanuts.

Poor ol' Jimmy didn't have any memoirs that anybody wanted to buy - he was a pretty worthless as presidents go. He has had to become a mouthpiece for all sorts of ultra left wing groups to make the "loads of money." Once you sell your soul to the devil, it doesn't make any difference where you graduated from or what you did before, you are a tool of the devil. (I actually liked the "tool shed" remark. :) )

westcoastr
04-27-2009, 7:56 AM
sad rantings of bitter one-termer

jerryg1776
04-27-2009, 7:59 AM
Poor ol' Jimmy
This is just his way of saying
"I'm not dead yet!"

Still trying to be relevant...:rolleyes:

That or he is actually trying to make a mark in history still... do something in his mind that is relevant and good since his administration and actions as a sitting president were ineffectual, weak, mindless and gutless. I think he is trying to make up for his 4 wasted years in office or trying to prove out that he was on the right course, juts before his time.

bill104
04-27-2009, 8:15 AM
I think Jimmy carter has been drinking to much of his Brothers beer, and Peanuts, hes just Plain Lost his Marbles.

bumDharma
04-27-2009, 8:17 AM
*shakes his head* Very sad. Guns continues to be a poison pill issue that will haunt the Democratic party until the end of time it seems. I just can't understand for the life of me why they continue to hold onto this flawed and failed view. Sixty-five Democrats sent Eric Holder a letter telling him that pursuing an new AWB was a bad idea and that they wouldn't support it. We can only hope that more people will continue to join that 65 over time.

Legasat
04-27-2009, 8:36 AM
I think Jimmy carter has been drinking to much of his Brothers beer, and Peanuts, hes just Plain Lost his Marbles.

Of Course! I had forgotten about Billy Carter and all if his shenanigans & beer.

HE always puts Jimmy into perspective for me.

Thanks for the smile!

AEC1
04-27-2009, 9:23 AM
All ex presidents rate SS protection, most give it up after a few years, Nixon, Reagen, and Bush SR all have. I am sure Clinton still has his goven his wifes role.

GunSlinga
04-27-2009, 9:27 AM
If the M-16 (and, by extension, the AR-15) is "designed only to kill police officers and the people they defend" (per Carter), why do we issue this rifle to our servicemen?

Last time I checked, cop-killing wasn't part of the job description of members of our Armed Forces...

lehn20
04-27-2009, 9:30 AM
Please prove your statement and show me when they gave it up?.
Hillary has both DSS and SS because of her being former First Lady and now SecDef which falls under DSS.

cadurand
04-27-2009, 9:34 AM
Hillary has both DSS and SS because of her being former First Lady and now SecDef which falls under DSS.The law was changed with George W. Bush. He gets protection for 10 years folliowing his Presidency. As well as all Presidents from now on. Make sense given all the money these guys make in "retirement".

The Presidents before W. got protection for life. That includes the First Lady.

I know I'd read Nixon paid for his own and I think Ford did as well. I don't think anyone actually gives it up. Some just feel like they should be paying for it out of their own pockets.

HowardW56
04-27-2009, 9:37 AM
All ex presidents rate SS protection, most give it up after a few years, Nixon, Reagen, and Bush SR all have. I am sure Clinton still has his goven his wifes role.

Where did you hear they gave it up?

The last I heard Nancy Reagen still has Secret Service protection...

AEC1
04-27-2009, 9:45 AM
Hillary has both DSS and SS because of her being former First Lady and now SecDef which falls under DSS.

Cant prove it, I am not a member of the secret service and do not have the original documents that would stand up to the burden of prof. I can gowever use google and it came up with lots of articles about nixion being the first and regan to follow suit, I couldent find anthing for the first bush so I may be wrong on that.

I know that Google is not prof and if you like you cna argue all day long, but it will only be with yourself.

CCWFacts
04-27-2009, 9:48 AM
Ah, I found in the Wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secret_Service), they change the law so that they only get it for 10 years.

However, I would assume that post-9/11, they still get some security service somehow.

AEC1
04-27-2009, 9:52 AM
Where did you hear they gave it up?

The last I heard Nancy Reagen still has Secret Service protection...

It was re-instated durring the time of the Gippers death with all the media. But it is gone again.

jafount
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Uzi's are semi automatics????

The only one I ever shot was.

gcvt
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
He already was Gov , where were you ?:confused:

Uh oh, someone left their sense of humor at home today :p

highpowermatch
04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Its no wonder this country is going in the can, how many times are we going to elect sheep who think the 2A is about hunting??? give me a break!

postal16
04-27-2009, 1:16 PM
A majority of Americans also support banning assault weapons.

If this was true than a AWB would not be politically risky now would it Jimmy boy? It amazes me to no end how ignorant the anti's are...and I am insulted that he infers that those who own AW do so only so they can kill as many cops before they off themselves...WTF?

Dark&Good
04-27-2009, 1:38 PM
Non-NRA CalGuns members: besides answering threads such as this, please join the NRA.

GunSlinga
04-27-2009, 2:24 PM
Ah, I found in the Wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secret_Service), they change the law so that they only get it for 10 years.

However, I would assume that post-9/11, they still get some security service somehow.

See below, especially the boldface "Provided..."

18 U.S.C.A. § 3056

United States Code Annotated
Title 18. Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Part II. Criminal Procedure
Chapter 203. Arrest and Commitment
§ 3056. Powers, authorities, and duties of United States Secret Service

(a) Under the direction of the Secretary of Homeland Security, the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect the following persons:

(1) The President, the Vice President (or other officer next in the order of succession to the Office of President), the President-elect, and the Vice President-elect.

(2) The immediate families of those individuals listed in paragraph (1).

(3) Former Presidents and their spouses for their lifetimes, except that protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage unless the former President did not serve as President prior to January 1, 1997, in which case, former Presidents and their spouses for a period of not more than ten years from the date a former President leaves office, except that--

(A) protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage or the divorce from, or death of a former President; and

(B) should the death of a President occur while in office or within one year after leaving office, the spouse shall receive protection for one year from the time of such death:

Provided, That the Secretary of Homeland Security shall have the authority to direct the Secret Service to provide temporary protection for any of these individuals at any time if the Secretary of Homeland Security or designee determines that information or conditions warrant such protection.

(4) Children of a former President who are under 16 years of age for a period not to exceed ten years or upon the child becoming 16 years of age, whichever comes first.

(5) Visiting heads of foreign states or foreign governments.

(6) Other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad when the President directs that such protection be provided.

(7) Major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates and, within 120 days of the general Presidential election, the spouses of such candidates. As used in this paragraph, the term “major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates” means those individuals identified as such by the Secretary of Homeland Security after consultation with an advisory committee consisting of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, the majority and minority leaders of the Senate, and one additional member selected by the other members of the committee. The Committee shall not be subject to the Federal Advisory Committee Act (5 U.S.C. App. 2).

(8) Former Vice Presidents, their spouses, and their children who are under 16 years of age, for a period of not more than six months after the date the former Vice President leaves office. The Secretary of Homeland Security shall have the authority to direct the Secret Service to provide temporary protection for any of these individuals at any time thereafter if the Secretary of Homeland Security or designee determines that information or conditions warrant such protection.

The protection authorized in paragraphs (2) through (8) may be declined.

Hoop
04-27-2009, 2:34 PM
Why does Jimmy Carter get any attention at all?
Non-NRA CalGuns members: besides answering threads such as this, please join the NRA.

This too.

Gator Monroe
04-27-2009, 3:31 PM
*shakes his head* Very sad. Guns continues to be a poison pill issue that will haunt the Democratic party until the end of time it seems. I just can't understand for the life of me why they continue to hold onto this flawed and failed view. Sixty-five Democrats sent Eric Holder a letter telling him that pursuing an new AWB was a bad idea and that they wouldn't support it. We can only hope that more people will continue to join that 65 over time.

You know the other 200+ are solid Anti so why tout that 65 ?

B Strong
04-27-2009, 5:25 PM
Doesn't Habitat for Humanity keep Goober busy enough for him to leave the grownups alone?

Ishoot
04-27-2009, 5:39 PM
I've always wondered whenever a politician goes anti, if it's for political gain or just plain ol' ignorance. With "Goober", I'd go with the latter.

TOMBSTONE
04-27-2009, 5:52 PM
Obviously, Carter has peanuts on the brain and should go back to the rest home he came from ; with the other dinosaurs...

BTF/PTM
04-27-2009, 5:53 PM
All opinions aside, Carter does deserve a lawsuit over that last line. To say that any gun is manufactured expressly for murder, especially (as mentioned earlier) the ones that throughout history have been issued to multiple nations' militaries in the name of the defense of their countries, is slanderous and insulting. I lose complete respect for any person's argument on anything at all once it becomes a matter of opinion rather than fact. I hope the entire U.S. military and every manufacturer of AR-15 and M-series guns sues Carter.

Gator Monroe
04-27-2009, 6:01 PM
He is a big anti (anti-zionist):eek:

damon1272
04-27-2009, 7:18 PM
HAs he not done enough damage to this country during his life? I would say the only thing decent he does is build houses but they are falling down too!

AaronHorrocks
04-27-2009, 7:47 PM
Police are always on the right side of the law, aren't they? ;)

http://ghostline.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/gestapo1.png

:rolleyes:

shark92651
04-27-2009, 7:53 PM
It's best to ignore the comments from the peanut gallery :rolleyes: Mr. Peanut admit's to owning "sniper rifles", yet somehow his magical guns are for fun and sport while those evil assault weapons shoot special bullets that penetrate cop body armor! What a crack-pot, someone please put him out to pasture.

cousinkix1953
04-27-2009, 7:55 PM
Its Jimmy F***ing Carter for crying out load, who cares what this weiner thinks.
This is the same old fogey, who got taken to the woodshed; because he lost his daddy's original pre-64 Winchester model 12 shotgun! He thought it was funny enough to brag about on ESPN's Saturday morning hunting and fishing shows. I wouldn't trust this old fart with my toy US Army surplus potty training rifle...

Silencer
04-27-2009, 8:04 PM
Jimmy Carter is a racist.

To summarize, he said anybody who wants to own an assault weapon wants to do so for the purpose of killing officers, school children or students and coworkers. His statement is not based on facts and by prejudging people who want to own a semi-automatic rifle. That statement is founded on ignorance and prejudice.

Ignorance + Prejudice = Racism

mvpatriot
04-27-2009, 8:08 PM
carter is a total douche. Thank god he will kick off soon and take his rhetoric with him.

radioburning
04-27-2009, 8:10 PM
What an idiot.

cousinkix1953
04-28-2009, 3:09 AM

Ignorance + Prejudice = Racism

He hates Israel and supports the PLO terrorists and Hamas. He belongs to an off-shoot Baptist cult that molests rattlesnakes even though this illegal. A woman got killed playing with an Eastern Diamond back at a church in Kentucky not long ago...

Hoop
04-28-2009, 7:25 AM
He belongs to an off-shoot Baptist cult that molests rattlesnakes even though this illegal.

Maybe the headline will read "Jimmy Carter dies of Heart Attack while doing the Rattlesnake-Shake in Church".

dfletcher
04-28-2009, 8:53 AM
Unfortunately guys like this are looked on by most folks as having a certain amount of legitimacy - they're viewed as "one of us" & if they say it, well - it must be true. That it's Jimmy Carter and not a lesser known on unknown gun owner may actually be less damaging. At least there are alot of people out there who do not have a favorable opinion of this guy.

I'd like to know though, given that the "new & improved" AW ban would hit M1 Carbines and perhaps Garands and other plain old semi auto rifles - just how many "AWs" did Mr Carter's administration put on the street via CMP and similar programs? How many AKs, SKS, FALs and such did he allow to be imported when he was President? Better to improve our balance of trade deficit (a enjoy a bit of political gain) than save a few lives I suppose?

cousinkix1953
04-28-2009, 7:04 PM
Carter lost his legitimacy when he embarassed the nation in the Iran hostage crisis. A new program, called NIGHTLINE, was created just to track his 444 consecutive days of sheer incompetence. Ronald Reagan beat his drum in a landslide election in 1980...

Gator Monroe
04-28-2009, 7:17 PM
He was a Pioneer of the ultra modern Democrat Social progressive agenda (Put down America & American Ideals ,especially when overseas, and espouse Anti-Zionist pro arab/PLO whenever you have the chance ...

mike_schwartz@mail.com
04-28-2009, 8:32 PM
I was born the year he was elected. Who voted for this guy? I mean really...who? And why?

I read about presidents a lot and the more you read about them, the more impressed you have to be with them. I have yet to be impressed by anything Carter has done or said.

I mean he built some houses...that's cool and all...but gees. I am speechless.

SubstanceP
04-28-2009, 9:27 PM
I don't know what's so shocking about Carter. All libs are as pathetic as him. Look at the loser we have as POTUS now.

TheBundo
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
I forget, did everyone in America with an assault weapon in 1994 have to register them, like they did in CA?

cousinkix1953
04-28-2009, 11:18 PM
NO! They just stopped selling them in the stores. High capacity magazines were dated 1994-2004 or labeled "military or police use only"; so they weren't sold to the public by accident. It didn't affect the price of used guns or magazines sold between private parties, but the prices went up too...

dfletcher
04-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I was born the year he was elected. Who voted for this guy? I mean really...who? And why?

I read about presidents a lot and the more you read about them, the more impressed you have to be with them. I have yet to be impressed by anything Carter has done or said.

OK, I'll confess. I voted for him in 1976. I was young, Ford was viewed as dimwitted, had pardoned Nixon which was, at the time, seen as a terrible offense. The "Poland is not dominated by Russia" comment didn't help. WIN pins and the swine flu bit didn't help his image. Carter was viewed as the outsider not tainted by politics, so to speak. Having had 4 Presidents from '63to '74 (one dead, one run out, one resign and one unelected) the "I've never done this before" guy looked OK.

Which looking back on doesn't make a whole lot of sense - I mean, you wouldn't get on an airplane or be operated on by someone who says "Hey - this is my 1st time, but I must be better than the guy who's done it for a while, right?"

postal16
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Carter got elected the same way that BHO did...people were tired of the percieved staus quo, as dfletcher stated things had seemingly sucked for some time, and people thought Change would be good. Carter came in with high expectations, and ended up a presidential failure in most respects. BHO has come in with high expectations, the next 4 years will be interesting to say the least.

Vectrexer
05-25-2009, 11:15 AM

April 27, 2009
Op-Ed Contributor

By JIMMY CARTER
Atlanta

An overwhelming majority of Americans, including me and my hunting companions, believe in the right to own weapons, but surveys show that they also support modest restraints like background checks, mandatory registration and brief waiting periods before purchase.

Let me make this clear Mr. Ex-President Carter:

The ONLY restraint for using any firearms from the 17HMR and below up to the 16 inch and above should come form the proper education and training of our young to be responsible and educated users.

Any involvement by our government to try and legislate restraint only results in the self destruction of the part of the basis our country was founded on. Legislation of restraint also promotes the abdication of responsibility not only by the user of the firearm, but also by the generation this was supposed to educate the new user. In effect you are promoting the abdication of not only a personal responsibility, but also the civic duty to learn, know, and exercise a right guaranteed by our found. By extension Mr. Ex-President you are personally and falsely stating that our founders had a mistrust of the citizens who run the country. A concept that is wholly untrue.

I appreciate the good work you have done on some topics of humanity. But as you fade into your final years please realize your once bold actions based on knowledge and experience are now being converted into fear of oblivion by a frail and failing body that can no longer support a healthy mind. So please restrict you effort to help humanity to to areas where you can positively contribute and stop trying to further your goal of social fascism using the tools of fear uncertainly and doubt against your fellow citizens and responsible human beings.

Mr. Ex-President Carter your hunting rifles are every bit the killer of policemen as is the ill-named assault weapons. In fact, they are more capable as penetrators of defensive armor than many of the firearms you may desire try to selfishly name as a distinct class. I would not try to have your cache of firearms restricted removed or destroyed. Neither should you try to restrict my choice of firearms on the basis that it is different from yours added to the fact you now distrust your fellow Americans.

Mr. Ex-President Carter I put it you that the political difficulty facing our nation at this time is not the defense against the ill-named assault weapons, but rather the defense against the attack and destruction of our country's values and personal involvement by people such as yourself who falsely portray themselves as supporting our founding values while at the same time committing themselves to the undermining of those same values for current and future generations.

Mr. Ex-President Carter please leave my country and stop committing political terrorism against our proud, just, responsible, and legal citizenry of The United State of America.

artherd
05-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I thought we were done with Carter when his ban on Fast Breeders sent us back into the Nuclear Energy Stone Age(TM).

fnman
05-25-2009, 5:18 PM
Worst president of my lifetime and I'm 49, His missteps in foreign policy are still being felt today, Check out Iran and if you think this recession is bad try it with 18 % interest rates on a home loan. He was a one term lame president whose brothers claim to fame was having had a beer named after him.

tankerman
05-25-2009, 5:27 PM
I'm pretty sure someone picked all the peanuts out of that peanut farmers sack.

odysseus
05-25-2009, 5:33 PM
He must be out of his mind writing something based on this premise. However though, there are sadly quite a lot of people brainwashed into this line of thinking that he is speaking to. He is not speaking to us obviously, he is trying to rally those whom actually believe this stupidity - and there are a lot of them out there.

That too.

glockwise2000
05-25-2009, 5:45 PM
Carter mentioned 30000 died from firearms incidents. I wonder how many are from AKs and ARs from legally-owned rifles. I bet he doesn't have that figure because he is so whacked that he could think. Geez. You should be just eating your own peanuts. Literally your peanuts.

MolonLabe2008
05-25-2009, 6:12 PM
Wasn't Jimmah a single termed failed President? ;)

HowardW56
05-25-2009, 6:15 PM

Yes, after one term the American people had enough of President Peanut and sent him back home to be plain old Mr. Peanut...

luchador768
05-25-2009, 7:30 PM

Yep, and he is currently cleaning out a space for Obama to put that "award" up on his mantle.

Seriously, kill cops and kids? Why not cover the whole spectrum and say they are for shooting pregnant, gay cops holding puppies in a wheelchair?
What a donkey.

Gator Monroe
05-25-2009, 7:43 PM
Yes, after one term the American people had enough of President Peanut and sent him back home to be plain old Mr. Peanut...

sounds like the wave of the future ?

Dark&Good
05-25-2009, 8:00 PM
Carter mentioned 30000 died from firearms incidents. I wonder how many are from AKs and ARs from legally-owned rifles. I bet he doesn't have that figure because he is so whacked that he could think. Geez. You should be just eating your own peanuts. Literally your peanuts.

Some more exact statistics here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=176447

Riodog
05-25-2009, 9:52 PM

April 27, 2009
Op-Ed Contributor

By JIMMY CARTER
Atlanta
But none of us wants to own an assault weapon,

Instead, the N.R.A. is defending criminals’ access to assault weapons and use of ammunition that can penetrate protective clothing worn by police officers on duty.
[B][I] We can’t let the N.R.A.’s political blackmail prevent the banning of assault weapons — designed only to kill police officers and the people they defend.

The same retarded bull**it he spouted when he was prez. He's a ***** and always has been. He's a major reason the ragheads are still killing Americans.

Nobel Piece prize? How about the Nobel ***** Prize?
There's a reason he's considered the worst prez in the history of the USA.

Rio

Sutcliffe
05-26-2009, 5:48 AM
I don't think he does anything at all until somebody ponies up the cash for him to take a stand or an opinion on anything. Maybe Soros or the Joyce Foundation gave him money to kill jews or something equally admirable for him to voice his opinion on the constitution he swore to uphold.