PDA

View Full Version : Legal to hunt here?

evan69
04-26-2009, 8:29 PM
I want to go hunt coyotes in the mt. diablo foothills, because, as I understand it, you do not need a hunting license for them. I do, however, have concerns about whether or not that area is still considered the state park (I don't think it is), and whether it is legal to hunt there at all. I have never seen another person while trail riding there in the past, and it would be a great spot to hunt, but I do not know what rules apply, and if those rules would prohibit hunting.

I did a bunch of searching and could not figure out if it was inside the state park or not...

Help?

XDshooter
04-26-2009, 8:58 PM
You always need a hunting license to take anything ANYTHING in California.

You just don't need any tags to hunt varmits. Coyotes are considered varmits and can be hunted year round.

5150Marcelo
04-26-2009, 8:59 PM
YOU NEED A HUNTING LICENSE TO HUNT COYOTES IN CA.

Eroland7
04-26-2009, 9:01 PM
Why would you possibley think that you wouldn't need a HUNTING liscense to HUNT coyotes?

scr83jp
04-26-2009, 9:09 PM
I want to go hunt coyotes in the mt. diablo foothills, because, as I understand it, you do not need a hunting license for them. I do, however, have concerns about whether or not that area is still considered the state park (I don't think it is), and whether it is legal to hunt there at all. I have never seen another person while trail riding there in the past, and it would be a great spot to hunt, but I do not know what rules apply, and if those rules would prohibit hunting.

I did a bunch of searching and could not figure out if it was inside the state park or not...

Help?
you'll need a license to hunt in ca; go to ca dept of fish and game web site and check the regulations regarding state parks

5150Marcelo
04-26-2009, 9:10 PM
Why would you possibley think that you wouldn't need a HUNTING liscense to HUNT coyotes?

Cuz in some states you dont.

calixt0
04-26-2009, 9:17 PM
several people have said you need a license to hunt anything in california. unless the regs have changed from a couple of years ago that is true with 1 exceptions... Pigeons... pigeons used to be able to be shot and killed as vermin without a liscence. Again not sure if it has changed.. I learned this hunting down in the California/Arizona/Mexico boarder.

evan69
04-26-2009, 9:29 PM
sry I was referring to specific tags, I know you need to license. My terminology is just skewed I guess.

Rule .308
04-26-2009, 10:32 PM
That is correct, there are no specific tags required to shoot coyotes but a hunting license is required.

tincan715
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm not aware of any public land in the Mt Diablo area that is available for hunting - the state park and the EBRPD parks prohibit hunting. Hunting on private land in that area without permission is likely to get you in a LOT of trouble. The ranchers have many problems with cattle rustling and vandalism and trespassing is not a good idea.

westcoastr
04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
there is no public hunting areas on mt diablo that I have ever heard of. might be some bird areas, i've never looked into it

Army
04-27-2009, 2:26 PM
GAME animals require a license. Some NON-game specie require a license. But not all hunting requires a license.

I inquired just this from F&G last year. I asked about needing a license for shooting ground squirrels. No. But having one on your person was recommended in case other varmint were to get in my sights.

Obviously, killing mice in your house is legal for anyone, despite them being a fur bearing mammal..........

.......but you need a few dozen to make a pair of fur lined boxer shorts :D:D

Hunter
04-27-2009, 9:00 PM
GAME animals require a license. Some NON-game specie require a license. But not all hunting requires a license.

I inquired just this from F&G last year. I asked about needing a license for shooting ground squirrels. No. But having one on your person was recommended in case other varmint were to get in my sights.

Obviously, killing mice in your house is legal for anyone, despite them being a fur bearing mammal..........

.......but you need a few dozen to make a pair of fur lined boxer shorts :D:D

From the regs.
1054.2. Every person while engaged in taking any bird, mammal,
fish, amphibian, or reptile shall have on his or her person or in his
or her immediate possession, or where otherwise specifically
required by law to be kept, any license, tag, stamp, or permit that
is required in order to take the bird, mammal, fish, amphibian, or
reptile.

4150. All mammals occurring naturally in California which are not
game mammals, fully protected mammals, or fur-bearing mammals, are
nongame mammals. Nongame mammals or parts thereof may not be taken or possessed except as provided in this code or in accordance with
regulations adopted by the commission.

One exception to these rules are for non-game species that are causing property or crop damage. Then that non-game animal maybe taken at any time and under any means. But this can only be done by the land owner whose property is being damaged or by written permission of said owner. So shooting ground squirels under any other circumstances does require a hunting or trapping license.

Another exception to the above depredation kills is for SOME rodents that are identified as:
(1) Gophers.
(2) House mice.
(3) Moles.
(4) Rats.
(5) Voles.

For these rodents, one doesn't need a trapping license to pursue these non-game mammals. But if not on your own property or without permission from the property owner, one cannot shoot mice, moles, ect without a hunting license. But you could trap them without permission.

chip3757
04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
In California public hunting can be done on National Forest Land, BLM Land, or State owned refuges overseen by the DFG (ex. San Jacinto Wildlife Area...Estelle Mountain Ecological Reserve). The state owned properties are listed on the DFG website with regs for each location. When you combine those 3 you actually have quite a bit of acres to hunt all over the state. My first year hunting i spent more time on the phone and the web trying to find a legal place to hunt than i did in the field.