PDA

View Full Version : New Sacramento FFL and Internet AR Retailer

rbetts
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
All right. The website is running, the paperwork is in order and inventory is stacking up. . . . . so here goes.

Announcing the Grand Opening of Golden State Tactical, Sacramento's newest FFL and AR-15 Friendly Gun Dealer. We specialize in California Compliant parts and Accessories. We stock OLL's Bullet Buttons, Wonder Tools and Maybe even AK Bullet Buttons and are continuously adding to our product mix.

We transfer firearms at only $35.00 plus DROS and try to be available when you are. We are internet based for our products and Fair Oaks, CA based for gun transfers. If we do not have it, we'll find it (as those of you who found us on google, yahoo and Gunbroker know) We are also a GunsAmerica Premium Drop off point for any gun you'd like to ship. We are signed up with the BIG Boy Distributors, so we can get you a deal on most things you are looking for. We provide World Class Customer Service-No Lie!!

Take a look at our Website and feel free to give us a call.

ck867
04-26-2009, 12:32 AM
wow good to see a new ffl in sacramento! It states you guys charge $35 transfer fee...do you charge tax on the gun if we buy off gunbroker and have it shipped to you for transfer or is it strictly a $35 flat fee?

rbetts
04-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Great Question!. BOE says I should:mad:, I'd like to keep my license. It was a pretty penny just to get this far. If you buy something off of GB, I might be able to find it for you cheaper using dealer pricing even with tax.:thumbsup: What are you looking to buy?

ck867
04-26-2009, 12:45 AM
nothing in particular at the moment. Just wanted to get that question answered since it is pretty common in regards to ffl's doing transfers.

Blackhawk556
04-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I don't mean to be thread crapping, but my local ffl doesn't charge tax. Why is it that some charge tax and others don't? (honest question)

DarkHorse
04-26-2009, 1:18 AM
I don't mean to be thread crapping, but my local ffl doesn't charge tax. Why is it that some charge tax and others don't? (honest question)

There's a thread on here somewhere about why some charge and some don't. As the OP stated, Board of Equalization requires a tax on all items that are mail/internet ordered into the state of CA. When you fill out your tax forms, you'll notice a line called the "Use Tax." That is what this tax covers. A Use Tax is not technically a Sales Tax. Practically speaking, it's the same thing, but not legally.

The state of CA realizes that most people probably don't claim the proper amount of Use Tax against themselves, and so they try to use intermediaries when possible. Meaning, since you HAVE to go through an ffl to buy your gun, and that ffl has a business license, they put pressure on the dealer to collect the use tax. This is considered by some to be another Underground Regulation, as apparently there is no code that allows BOE to force dealers to do this. Dealers do not collect sales tax. They are pressured to collect the Use Tax.

Some dealers don't do it, well, I don't know why, I've haven't been in that situation, yet. I guess it's because it's not the legal responsibility of the dealer to do it. Somebody else hashed this out, and I forget what codes are pertinent.

The rule of thumb is to just be prepared to pay the Use Tax on the claimed amount of the purchase, as the dealer won't know how much you paid for the item.

Mozzetti
04-26-2009, 1:20 AM
The ones that do just don't know any better, but don't want to take any risk. A lot on the line for them over a small amount of money.

Pretty simple answer.

I honestly don't know though what is the right answer. I mean we don't pay tax when you order something from out of state while you are in CA. Except for cars, boats...vehicles that need to be registered with the DMV. When you go to register these with the DMV they will collect $ right on the spot or you don't get to regisster. But they are the Govt. and a gun dealer is not.

Welcome Golden State Tactical!!!

shirow
04-26-2009, 1:30 AM
Great to have another OLL friendly FFL in town! Best of luck to you guys.

On the topic of use tax, does this apply to used guns off Gunbroker?

steven_m64
04-26-2009, 6:05 AM
if the "used" item on gunbroker is from a individual it should not be required to pay a use tax since its not a retail sale.

now if the sale of the used firearm is from a FFL then it would be a retail sale and requires a use tax.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqusetax.htm

Edit:

i have also been looking into getting a new Rock island 1911 tactical for a fair price, id love to see what i could get one for from you. ;)

sactoshooter
04-26-2009, 9:39 AM
sweet ! Its always good to see a new ffl in town !

Darklyte27
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
I thought I posted in this thread but maybe its in another section?.. welcome again!

Also wheres the thread on the sales/use tax?
How convenient it is to be the same %?...

JDMIS300
04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Great to see another Calguns active FFL in Sacramento. :thumbsup:

Just a quick question, what is your policy on DROS for AR lowers regarding it as being a "long gun"? Is your policy lower with a stock installed can be DROS'd as a rifle or is it complete only? Thanks!

Sky_DiveR
04-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome to Sac, Golden State Tactical. Could use another FFL in Sac-Town.

I couldn't find an address for PPT or X-fers (or sales?). Are you appointment only? If so, how do we contact you, email, land-line, homing pigeon? Actually what is your preferred way?

Anyways, welcome again and I hope to see ya soon.

Shane916
04-26-2009, 12:28 PM
All right. The website is running, the paperwork is in order and inventory is stacking up. . . . . so here goes.

Announcing the Grand Opening of Golden State Tactical, Sacramento's newest FFL and AR-15 Friendly Gun Dealer. We specialize in California Compliant parts and Accessories. We stock OLL's Bullet Buttons, Wonder Tools and Maybe even AK Bullet Buttons and are continuously adding to our product mix.

We transfer firearms at only $35.00 plus DROS and try to be available when you are. We are internet based for our products and Fair Oaks, CA based for gun transfers. If we do not have it, we'll find it (as those of you who found us on google, yahoo and Gunbroker know) We are also a GunsAmerica Premium Drop off point for any gun you'd like to ship. We are signed up with the BIG Boy Distributors, so we can get you a deal on most things you are looking for. We provide World Class Customer Service-No Lie!!

Take a look at our Website and feel free to give us a call.

This is awesome!!

Bump for a fellow Fair Oakian!!! :thumbsup:

sierra
04-26-2009, 2:21 PM
glad to see another FFL going live!

re: tax

my local FFL does not charge tax on Gunbroker (etc.) new or used incoming stuff. he specifically said "you're supposed to report the purchase on your state taxes and pay any tax that might be due yourself".

in the libertarian sense, some FFL's don't want to be playing tax collector for taxes that are questionable. in the conservative sense, some FFL's realize many people may have structures where they have no state tax liability when filing time comes around, so giving an out-of-state sales tax to the BOE to hold for a year, ESPECIALLY when they've suspended refunds, is not just.

just as a heads-up, an FFL that wants to stay in the absolute safety zone by collecting sales tax directly on out-of-state items, when they don't have to, will find it difficult to be competitive on transfers - if i've got a $1,000 rifle coming in, i'm not going to be processing it through someone who's going to take an extra $85 for the state up-front.

personally, an transfer FFL collecting out-of-state tax seems silly - they're not selling me anything. it would be like the postman or UPS delivery driver collecting sales tax on all my Amazon purchases.

rbetts
04-26-2009, 3:04 PM
Welcome to Sac, Golden State Tactical. Could use another FFL in Sac-Town.

I couldn't find an address for PPT or X-fers (or sales?). Are you appointment only? If so, how do we contact you, email, land-line, homing pigeon? Actually what is your preferred way?

Anyways, welcome again and I hope to see ya soon.

Hi All, Back from Church and plugged in. Please visit the website and Click on FFL Transfers for info.

My Number is 916.961.7189.

If we do business, I'll fork over the residential/business address.

Contact infor is Rob@goldenstatetactical.com.

Stags are in on Wednesday if anyone's interested!

DarkHorse
04-26-2009, 4:04 PM
I thought I posted in this thread but maybe its in another section?.. welcome again!

Also wheres the thread on the sales/use tax?
How convenient it is to be the same %?...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173782&highlight=sales+tax

rbetts
04-26-2009, 4:14 PM
There's a thread on here somewhere about why some charge and some don't.

Here is the link where I (much to my surprise) got my info. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2285978

My rule of thumb is that if I buy it, you pay the tax. If you buy it, It's your responsibility. The BOE says otherwise. Which sucks!

Take a look at the thread, and then you can see why the BOE is such a PITA. I'd like to be around to help you guys out with your gun purchases and will do what I can to earn your business. Most Times, my price for the item you are looking for including tax can still be less than what you are paying. (Screaming Deals excluded.)

That being said, Time to change the subject to something fun.

STAG ARMS Lowers now in stock. P-Mags on the way! Who want's what?

rbetts
04-26-2009, 4:51 PM
Great to have another OLL friendly FFL in town! Best of luck to you guys.

On the topic of use tax, does this apply to used guns off Gunbroker?

BOE states that they consider any out of state transfer with the exception of a PPT a "Use" taxable event.

Here is an excerpt from the FFL Sales Tax post from Gene Hoffman

BOE is wrong. However, they've issued memos/letters that express their wrong policy. Until someone has time to pull together the OAL Underground Rulemaking petition on this, the safe thing to do is to collect sales tax on your best guess of the value of the firearm.

That said, end buyers who complain about this problem are just admitting on a public forum that they're use tax cheats.

-Gene

rbetts
04-26-2009, 4:54 PM
i have also been looking into getting a new Rock island 1911 tactical for a fair price, id love to see what i could get one for from you. ;)

I had another Guy ask me the same Question. RI is made by Armscor now so I should be able to find a good price. Availability is another question. . . more to follow. I'll PM you!

rbetts
04-26-2009, 5:00 PM
Great to see another Calguns active FFL in Sacramento. :thumbsup:

Just a quick question, what is your policy on DROS for AR lowers regarding it as being a "long gun"? Is your policy lower with a stock installed can be DROS'd as a rifle or is it complete only? Thanks!

An AR Lower is considered a Rifle by the ATF. As for the state, The DROS asks for only Long Gun or Handgun Info. If Handgun, Great Detail is needed. If Long Gun, Only Serial number , Make, Model and quantity is asked.

Hope this Helps,

Look forward to working with you soon!

sierra
04-26-2009, 5:19 PM
Most Times, my price for the item you are looking for including tax can still be less than what you are paying. (Screaming Deals excluded.)

That being said, Time to change the subject to something fun.

STAG ARMS Lowers now in stock.

So putting your statement to the test (I'd love a local dealer with good prices!!!), what's your price for a Stag lower + tax?

They're in-stock at $150 + $16 Priority Mail = $166.00 . . . at a popular online retailer. And this doesn't qualify for the Screaming Deal exclusion, as they were on sale for $130 at the same place a couple days ago. (won't post the link since this is your thread)

EDIT: nevermind, clicked into your website - i'd probably pay the difference for same-day local pick-up on an important item. nice site, it looks like you're really looking to get people informed and stay legal. i hope you do well.

rbetts
04-26-2009, 5:22 PM
glad to see another FFL going live!

re: tax

my local FFL does not charge tax on Gunbroker (etc.) new or used incoming stuff. he specifically said "you're supposed to report the purchase on your state taxes and pay any tax that might be due yourself".

in the libertarian sense, some FFL's don't want to be playing tax collector for taxes that are questionable. in the conservative sense, some FFL's realize many people may have structures where they have no state tax liability when filing time comes around, so giving an out-of-state sales tax to the BOE to hold for a year, ESPECIALLY when they've suspended refunds, is not just.

just as a heads-up, an FFL that wants to stay in the absolute safety zone by collecting sales tax directly on out-of-state items, when they don't have to, will find it difficult to be competitive on transfers - if i've got a $1,000 rifle coming in, i'm not going to be processing it through someone who's going to take an extra $85 for the state up-front.

personally, an transfer FFL collecting out-of-state tax seems silly - they're not selling me anything. it would be like the postman or UPS delivery driver collecting sales tax on all my Amazon purchases.

For the most part and personally, I agree with you and live in the retail no tax world that you do also. EXCEPT and here is my dilema. . . I want to be uin business, and provide you with an excellent local avenue to transfer and purchase guns.

I just spent over $10,000 to start this business, I am being told by my government, at a state level how to play. They have provided me with crystal clear instructions that will ensure my future existance. One of these instructions revolves around Sales tax and Use tax. They say, they want me to be the responsible party to pay the proper tax for your purchase. If you do not pay, they have the right to audit my books and charge me for EACH item that I did not collect tax on that I should have. With the number of calls I have received in the last 3 days for my services, these transfers can and will number in the hundreds REAL SOON. Doing this type of math, means that I have to pay several thousand dollars in tax for those of you that choose not to.

So here is my question. .. Given this scenario and wanting to continue to be in business, do I not charge you tax and lose money, risk prosecution and my new livelihood? Or do I do the right thing albeit distasteful and charge you tax. What would you do given these 2 choices?

I am up front and honest in every regard. I want to do the right thing and have a clientele that respects me for the great service I provide. Tax or no tax, that is the most important thing to me. Reputation and integrity. Here is Gene Hoffmans response on the Tax issue as reference to the problem we FFL's face:

BOE is wrong. However, they've issued memos/letters that express their wrong policy. Until someone has time to pull together the OAL Underground Rulemaking petition on this, the safe thing to do is to collect sales tax on your best guess of the value of the firearm.

That said, end buyers who complain about this problem are just admitting on a public forum that they're use tax cheats.

-Gene

I know several of the FFL's around, those that do and those that don't charge. BOE lurks on every corner. I plan on being in business, providing great service and hopefully making money many years into the future. Sometimes 87.50 is worth having a great FFL around that will bend over backwards to help you in the Future. IMHO

Best Regards,
Rob

Joe
04-26-2009, 6:20 PM
Grats on opening your new business. PM sent!

rbetts
04-26-2009, 10:55 PM
So putting your statement to the test (I'd love a local dealer with good prices!!!), what's your price for a Stag lower + tax?

They're in-stock at $150 + $16 Priority Mail = $166.00 . . . at a popular online retailer. And this doesn't qualify for the Screaming Deal exclusion, as they were on sale for $130 at the same place a couple days ago. (won't post the link since this is your thread)

EDIT: nevermind, clicked into your website - i'd probably pay the difference for same-day local pick-up on an important item. nice site, it looks like you're really looking to get people informed and stay legal. i hope you do well.

Yes, know the site and the people there very well. They raised their prices because they realized they were low in the marketplace. Still, a good price for someone that has their FFL lined up. My Goal was to price the Stags for the local guy. Been in a shop lately and seen the price they charge?

I look forward to working with you. Thanks for the compliments. How many do you want??

rbetts
04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Placed an order, thanks.

Got it, Its packaged and ready for Post Office drop off in the morning. Thanks Tom!!

springy101
04-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Awesome price on the transfers, it'll definitely be worth the drive to save $40 bucks.

sierra
04-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Placed a trial order just for fun :)

rbetts
04-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Placed a trial order just for fun :)

Shipped that Trial Order just now. Post office probably will deliver by Wednesday at the latest. Thanks for the Biz. If your ever in Fair Oaks, Stop By and we can talk rifles!

silver2k2
04-27-2009, 8:30 AM
Nice, I am in Rancho so this is close to me

I am looking for either a Walther p22 or Sig Mosquito

Thanks,

Jared

Shane916
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Rob,

If I were to purchase a handgun from a CA dealer (paying CA tax) and have it shipped to you, would I be required to pay sales tax again?

Shane

rbetts
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Rob,

If I were to purchase a handgun from a CA dealer (paying CA tax) and have it shipped to you, would I be required to pay sales tax again?

Shane

Hi Shane,

NO, you would have met the states tax requirement by paying it at the other place. You are good to go and no tax due a second time.

Arteel
04-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Any pistol lowers. :D

rbetts
04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice, I am in Rancho so this is close to me

I am looking for either a Walther p22 or Sig Mosquito

Thanks,

Jared

Hi Jared, There is not a Walther to be found at any of the distributors, I'll check on the Sig. I'll have the Reps at the Distributors get to work on it also.

Shane916
04-27-2009, 8:35 PM
Hi Shane,

NO, you would have met the states tax requirement by paying it at the other place. You are good to go and no tax due a second time.

Rob,

Superb. Thanks for the quick reply and free bump!

Thanks,

Shane

rbetts
04-28-2009, 8:41 AM
Any pistol lowers. :D

Non available yet. Sorry, I do have Stag Arms Lowers in Stock now

rbetts
04-29-2009, 4:18 PM
All right Gents! Of the 30 lowers I have in, 17 are paid for and DROS'd. That means only 13 left. Get them while they are hot.

Thanks to all that have called and stopped by. Life is BZ right now. This is FUN!!!

rbetts
05-06-2009, 1:20 AM
Just a quick note to all that My S & W MP15 Lowers are in and so are the Kaiser Defense Lowers. Locals get the pick of the litter. Also, HAve Hogue Grips, will soon have 10/20 round Pro Mags built and even a few 10/30 C-Products SS Mags. Feel free to call with requests>

Rob

Super Spy
05-06-2009, 1:24 PM
Hmmm I'd be keen to hear what you could get the Rock Island for as well....

Super Spy
05-06-2009, 1:30 PM
How about some 308 OLL Lowers, prefer DPMS style..

Kelvrick
05-06-2009, 2:34 PM
Hmmm I'd be keen to hear what you could get the Rock Island for as well....

Also interested in a rock island.

rbetts
05-08-2009, 12:41 AM
I just place an order for 10,000 dollars worth of guns for a charity auction. I am trying to slide in a few Rock Islands for going with this particular distributor. I'll let y'all know how it goes!!

gucci pilot
05-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Bump for Robby. Any word on upper assemblies?

djbwow2008
05-09-2009, 8:57 PM
Did a transfer through Rob today at Golden State Tactical. I recommend everyone give this guy a shot at your business. He is a really good guy to deal with. Paid $35+$25 (dros) -$60 OTD.