View Full Version : 80% lower pistol build

04-25-2009, 10:31 PM
If I understand the law correctly, an 80% lower is not a firearm YET, but at 81% it is a firearm. So, if one were to purchase an 80% lower, and begin work on it to get to at least 81%, and mark the thing as a pistol, could you legally then purchase a pistol upper and still comply with constructive possession?

I'm not sure how long the project would take me, given I am pretty busy these days, but it would be nice to be able to buy parts as they came available.

04-25-2009, 11:31 PM
First off, AR pistols are in my opinion Grey Area of law. If you are going the 80% route, I would make sure it's 100% completed and functional lower before ordering any upper less then 16 inches period. In regards to pistol lowers, it would be wise to have at least one lower DROS/registered under you name and make sure you don't have any AR lower laying around without an upper on it! It's your choice but, I wouldn't cut any corners on this. Im sure other guys with more experiece will chime in anytime.:thumbsup:

04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
No, a 100% is a receiver. Completely finished, as opposed to a 0% which has no work done. 0%, 40%, 60% and 80%s are just a way of saying approximantely how much work is done.