PDA

View Full Version : New stock and barrel vs trigger kit for my 10/22

Quemtimebo
04-25-2009, 6:58 PM
I've got about $200 to spend on my new toy. I'm wondering what be the most effective way to improve the accuracy of my factory 10/22 for that amount of money: a Hogue stock with something like a Green Mountain barrel, or a VQ trigger kit. Eventually I plan on upgrading the whole shebang, but it's going to have to happen over time.

I've got the VQ bolt buffer pin and takedown screw already.

Recommendations?

wellfedirishman
04-25-2009, 7:23 PM
All you need to improve the 10/22 trigger is the VQ target hammer, $35 approx at Midway. It will drop the trigger pull to 2.5 lbs approx, much better.

Then get the bull barrel and stock and you are set.

Sig357
04-25-2009, 8:03 PM
IMO:If you have decided to go with a Hogue stock and a Green Mountain barrel I say buy it. Then mod your stock trigger for a lighter smoother pull until you can buy the Volquartsen Action Kit. Don't forget you also need a scope.

Read these instructions from Rimfirecental.com.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251177

crazyfinn
04-25-2009, 9:38 PM
Fix the trigger first. You might be surprised how much that helps. I put in a Rimfire Technologies trigger group and really like it.

Then get a GM barrel and new stock. Oh, and a scope helps too! ;)

wellfedirishman
04-26-2009, 7:41 AM
Consider a BSA Sweet 22 scope, they have a range adjustment feature that allows you to just dial the range you want, and it is accurate. Its great for hunting or shooting at different distances without having to mess around with the elevation screws.

xibunkrlilkidsx
04-26-2009, 9:55 AM
All you need to improve the 10/22 trigger is the VQ target hammer, $35 approx at Midway. It will drop the trigger pull to 2.5 lbs approx, much better.

Then get the bull barrel and stock and you are set.

thats what i did 1st thing. it was great. i wouldnt buy a whole tigger group or any of that shebang. not worth the money.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=145851. that will work very nice.. and still have money for a decent scope.

Dick Thomas
04-26-2009, 7:26 PM
Check out the KIDD products -- If you ever get a chance to use one of their triggers you will never go back. The most amazing 10-22 trigger I have ever used. A bit expensive, but as in all things in life, you get when you pay for.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/index.html

NeoWeird
04-27-2009, 5:21 PM
For about $50 you can have a VERY nicely modified Ruger 10/22.

People are quick to drop money like it's going out of style on parts, but the Ruger parts are not THAT bad with a little tweaking.

Rimfire central already has guides on how to turn the factory bolt lock into the auto-releasing bolt lock in about 10 minutes of work. There is a DIY trigger job that can be done with a polishing stone and a file. There is a DIY to take up the creep and let off with JB Weld. There is also a DIY on how to setup a multiple point adjustment and over-travel stops with a hand drill, tap, and set screws. Bolt chamfering with a belt sander. Custom tuned extractor with a hammer, small torch, and some hardening compound. Remove the barrel band to remove barrel bind. Recrown the barrel (factory barrels are reported by MANY people at RFC to have groups cut in half or more by simply recrowning); one person even had a method of doing this by hand with a marble and some varried grits of polishing compound. Barrel can be free floated with a wood dowel and some sand paper. Action can be bed with a number of bedding agents that can be picked up at any hardware store. Extended magazine relase from a chopped and filed bolt with a hole drilled and tapped into the factory release. Etc. etc. etc.

One guy at RFC even won a MAJOR rimfire match using a near stock Ruger 10/22 with custom DIY at home mods and he was not a gunsmith or machinist. The only things non-factory? A non-metal bolt stop pin (I want to say it was a Weaponkraft) and the scope. Everything else was factory.

Now if you don't want to drop a couple hours and would rather drop money, then by all means go for it. But if you're on a budget, there are a LOT of tips and tricks over at RFC to turn a factory Ruger 10/22 Carbine into a tack driving monster for less than a C-note.