PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Should Walmart ration ammunition?

Ifticar
04-25-2009, 3:42 PM
The USA is currently experiencing shortages of ammunition. Walmart get regular shipments of ammuntion which it sells for a great prices. This has led to some individuals buying up entire shipments or significant portions of shipments for resale or for hording..

Should Walmart limit the sale of any given ammunition SKU on a per customer per day basis? For example 5 boxes of a single SKU per customer per day?

Yes
No
No opinion.

ENTHUSIAST
04-25-2009, 3:46 PM
Where is the option for...

*%#@ NO!!!

forynot
04-25-2009, 3:48 PM
I buy everything I can get...They had 15 boxes of 40 S&W I took them all.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
04-25-2009, 3:49 PM
No and most WMs don't.

donsnnk
04-25-2009, 3:50 PM
=DDDD

ENTHUSIAST
04-25-2009, 3:50 PM
This is America welcome to capitalism bro... you wanna tell me how many loaves of bread or how many gallons of milk that I can buy too!!! :cuss: :icon_bs:

RobG
04-25-2009, 3:55 PM
Hell yes!! If WM won't regulate the supply, the gov't needs to step in and do it for them. There is no reason anyone needs more than 50 to 100 rounds at one time. What, are you planning on starting a war?

STOP WHINING, KEEP LOOKING, AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW YOU HAVE NO AMMO. NO ONE CARES:rant:

gunhohulk
04-25-2009, 4:26 PM
well it appears that RobG might not belong here... maybe he would also like the government to tell the rest of us how many miles a year we can drive in our cars also! It blows my mind that there are people around that could possibly think like this. the last time i checked our country was founded by people who believed in a free market and one of the biggest flash points that started the revolution was the fact that the people were being over regulated (including the attempts to ration their ammo i.e. lead and powder) by a bloated government that was totally disconnected from the people. the man who thinks that the government has the capacity to dictate how much ammo i can buy is no friend of mine and should be ashamed to call himself a firearms enthusiast.

tempdrummer
04-25-2009, 4:38 PM
well it appears that RobG might not belong here... maybe he would also like the government to tell the rest of us how many miles a year we can drive in our cars also! It blows my mind that there are people around that could possibly think like this.

Well, it blows my mind that you didnt read robg's whole post. Otherwise you would have realized he was being sarcastic

scrappy
04-25-2009, 4:56 PM
let's all write Eric Holder and ask him to look into it
http://sensico.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.jpg

Joe
04-25-2009, 5:09 PM
I voted yes. 5 boxes per person, per sku number in one day sounds very reasonable

Shane916
04-25-2009, 5:14 PM
I'm mostly troubled by other gun stores purchasing all of Walmarts ammunition then turning around and selling it for more at their store.

I have recently had several friends purchase firearms for the first time after going shooting with me. Like them, I am unable to enjoy this hobby because of a few greedy individuals escalating the prices of ammunition to the point of it being unaffordable.

JDoe
04-25-2009, 5:51 PM
I voted yes.

It is Walmart's best interest to have people coming to their stores and NOT calling up every five seconds and badgering the clerk about if there is ammo there or when it might be coming in.

If the limit on ammo was set to X boxes per person per day then there would be a steady stream of people going to Walmart to get ammo and the clerks could do something productive instead of answering the phone every five seconds. Right now fewer people are going to Walmart and as a consequence are buying fewer other items at Walmart as well.

Regular Walmart ammo buyers unable to find ammo at Walmart are turning to other sources including online and getting "trained" to find ammo elsewhere. This isn't in Walmart's best interest in the long run.

FWIW, I have my ammo so the ammo shortage doesn't affect me.

Rationing makes sense for the capitalists that run Walmart. :thumbsup:

U2BassAce
04-25-2009, 6:29 PM
I have plenty of ammo. (for disclosure sake) At this moment I think it is better for all of us if they put a reasonable limit so newbies (sounds like we have atttracked a lot of new people of late to our sport) can at least buy enough ammo to get some practice in and get the stoke we all enjoy from our sport. When things loosen up they should lift it PRONTO. 5 boxes as suggested above sounds good to me.

jkchan83
04-25-2009, 6:31 PM
I voted no.

1. All of the capitalism, freedom, liberty, right to pursue happiness, etc. reasons.

2. I don't think that it benefits Wal-Mart to put a cap on sales: if 1 person comes in a buys all of the inventory, then that clerk doesn't have to spend time checking ID (for handgun ammo), processing payment, bagging or boxing, etc. for each purchaser. Now, the issue is comparing that amount of time saved to the current time wasted on answering the phone, which they would still have to do. (Each Wal-Mart will still get different deliveries, items will still sell out, and people will still call before driving over.)

Also, Wal-Mart has faced competition from the internet for years (in other areas as well as ammo). They still have 2 big advantages: 1) if they do have ammo, you can get it RIGHT NOW vs. waiting weeks or months for an online backorder; 2) they are still the cheapest place to buy ammo and right now, people are looking at price as much as availability.

I don't like the fact that certain gun stores or individuals are going in and buying entire lots of ammo from Wal-Mart and reselling at higher prices. However, no one is holding a gun to our heads (sic) to force us to buy ammo from these people, either. Vote with your dollars and stop going to those stores. Or go in but don't buy anything. If those gun stores are stuck sitting on thousands (tens of thousands?) of dollars of inventory, they will start to feel the pain, too. And what do retailers do when inventory isn't moving? Lower the price.
But, if someone is willing to pay the price that the store is asking, then more power to them. They have found a market and a profit-making business, for now.

bluestaterebel
04-25-2009, 6:40 PM
well it appears that RobG might not belong here... maybe he would also like the government to tell the rest of us how many miles a year we can drive in our cars also! It blows my mind that there are people around that could possibly think like this. the last time i checked our country was founded by people who believed in a free market and one of the biggest flash points that started the revolution was the fact that the people were being over regulated (including the attempts to ration their ammo i.e. lead and powder) by a bloated government that was totally disconnected from the people. the man who thinks that the government has the capacity to dictate how much ammo i can buy is no friend of mine and should be ashamed to call himself a firearms enthusiast.

WALMART IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT! and yes it is capitalsim but it is not in walmart's capitalistic interest to be a wholeseller to gun stores.

it is to walmarts interest to bring low prices to as many customers as they can.

having numerous customers coming in the stores and buying ammo and then actually SHOPPING and buying other products is better than one gun store employee coming in at 6AM and buying up all the ammo and nothing else

RaceDay
04-25-2009, 9:09 PM
I voted yes. I'm all for capitalism but I also have a life and a job and don't spend my days trolling all the Walmarts in a tri-state area like some do. I've got my stash so if I see ammo when I am at Walmart, I buy some more. If there isn't any, I've still got my supply to go shooting with. But its a shame that you can't run to the store in the morning, go buy 500-1000 rds, and then go blast it at the range all day long. Until November, that was the norm for gun owners. I don't see how we get new folks interested in the sport if you have to camp out for ammo or buy from the losers that raid Walmart and then sell at a profit.

mydogsmonkey
04-25-2009, 9:24 PM
they already ration ammo in arizona, its kind've a pain but i guess it depends on how the salesperson is feeling, i bought 3 boxes of buckshot but the lady said she'll be nice and let the extra 1 slide since i waited for her(took about 30 mins for someone to finally get to the desk). anyway, it would've sucked to only walk away with 2 boxes as it was 15 rounds of winchester 00 buckshot for only 10$. now thats a deal especially now prices

high_revs
04-25-2009, 10:59 PM
why do we keep on circling about these silly topics. people get hell bent on their point of view of whether it should be controlled or not. the corporations will do what they need to do. you can call/contact them to support or not. i know i will if they start in the local stores i frequent.

look at it this way, the govt wants to control your 2nd amendment right. think about that before you answer whether ammo should be rationed and be controlled also.

and yes, i voted. i voted no. you don't want to make the effort of hunting for it and just expect it to be there as you leisurely walk in knowing there's shortage? your problem. i don't sell my ammo or get into long term storage. it actually gets used!

berto
04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
They do where I live. Our ration is zero.

Gryff
04-25-2009, 11:05 PM
When supply is this short, I'm all for it.

bluestaterebel
04-25-2009, 11:11 PM
look at it this way, the govt wants to control your 2nd amendment right. think about that before you answer whether ammo should be rationed and be controlled also.

again, walmart is NOT the government! and we are already being rationed by the gun store owners, and like berto said, that ration is zero.

SEANZILLA
04-25-2009, 11:12 PM
We let me voice my opinion......

If i'm there and there's a new shipment just in HELL NO!!

But if there someone ahead of me in line ready to buy it all up HELL YES!!

So i guess I'm a little two face:chris:

mike452
04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought you people hate Walmart. Didnít some of your protest signs calling for the end of capitalism at Walmart regarding employment?

Stop buying up all the ammo! Please leave one box for me!

MikeinnLA
04-25-2009, 11:58 PM
The day I picked up 1,400 rounds of .223, No

The other 15 times I went there and found nothing, Yes

Yeah, I'm a hypocrite....but an honest one.:thumbsup:

Mike

eric90503
04-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Hell No! We shouldn't have to have Walmart or the Government regulate ammo sales.

We should regulate ourselves.

I saw this dude pay for ammo split between three friggen credit cards...

Not going to get into politics about America and our self-control, but you get the picture.

Blackhawk556
04-26-2009, 12:31 AM
NO, first come first serve.

If someone didn't find ammo, too bad keep looking. You should have woke up earlier to go to your local wal mart. (not you specifically)

glbtrottr
04-26-2009, 1:19 AM
It's the most annoying thing. A lot of Walmarts already do.

Cerritos? Posted 10 boxes per customer.

Joe at your local San Clemente says two - just because he can. So will Norm in Laguna Beach. Other clerks implement their own limits depending on how they want to dominate their little corner of the world.

Ask 10 out of 10 clerks, and they will all blame it on Obama, regardless of their political leanings.

Some will talk about how we "ship brass to China" now instead of the ammo manufacturers.

Others are blown away, or simply don't understand the issue.

Personally, I hate the crap. But I'd rather have the ammo I need regardless of how I obtain it, not worry about supply, and hope to get all the 45 and .223 I need. Rationing won't work but it will only make people get goofy in the process.

Wild Squid
04-26-2009, 3:00 AM
This is America welcome to capitalism bro... you wanna tell me how many loaves of bread or how many gallons of milk that I can buy too!!! :cuss: :icon_bs:

If there was a natural disaster in CA, then yes, I would tell you how many gallons of milk and loaves of bread you can buy.

In these times, I would vote yes, Walmart should be regulating how much ammo one can buy. Maybe it will help calm down the fear mongering. And besides, whether they do or don't, we can't do anything about it. It's their store, they can do what they want. THAT'S CAPITALISM. Not all this friggin BS hoarding and scalping. The only thing you can do is boycott Walmart and not shop there. But then you are only hurting yourself as you will be paying higher prices elsewhere, and Walmart will never feel a dent in their bottom line.

ENTHUSIAST
04-26-2009, 6:22 AM
If there was a natural disaster in CA, then yes I would tell you how many gallons of milk and loaves of bread you can buy.

...And besides, whether they do or don't, we can't do anything about it. (Oh yea, See below) ... Not all this friggin BS hoarding and.... (See below)

Trust me... NO... you wouldnt...
:43:
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/ikeepitmoving2/DSC00989.jpg?t=1240752038

BWAHHHAHHHAHHHAHHHH!!!!!!!!

ENTHUSIAST
04-26-2009, 6:38 AM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/ikeepitmoving/DSC00951.jpg?t=1240752781

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/ikeepitmoving/DSC00948.jpg?t=1240753071

Your PAWNAGE is now Legendary!!!!!!!! :patriot:

cgseanp1
04-26-2009, 6:39 AM
I don't see why people compare the ammo shortage to other things, like bread and milk.. If bread and milk were as hard to find as ammo, then YES, they should limit the amount one person can buy. People need to eat. And I wouldn't mind if they put a temporary limit on the amount of ammo you can buy, at least just until the panic dies down. Mainly just to piss of the ammo resellers that completely wipe out a store. Not to mention, it's because of those D bags that there is such a huge ammo shortage.. I know a lot of people that buy a ton of ammo when they see it, only because they know if they don't, some other a hole will. If those guys weren't buying it all up, and there actually was ammo on the shelf for more than 10 minutes, then other people might not feel the need to buy a ton. I know that's how I am, I feel like I HAVE to buy a lot.. I don't really want to, and I'm not a hoarder. Whatever though, I have had decent luck finding ammo.. I just got tired of getting up so early so I haven't tried in a while.

tenpercentfirearms
04-26-2009, 7:44 AM
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/ikeepitmoving2/DSC00989.jpg?t=1240752038

IT IS A HORDER! I bet he is flipping it and gouging us! Let's get his IP address and have the KGB knock down his door and redistribute his wealth to the proleteriet! We must take action!

LOL. Enthusiast you are freaking awesome. You hording bastard. I love it.

Hoop
04-26-2009, 8:37 AM
Most do already. Local one won't sell more than 2 cases of ammo of any caliber to anyone. If a store wants to, that's fine. It's their inventory, and large retailers want people to come in for more than just one item.

socalgunrunner
04-26-2009, 8:56 AM
Here we go...yet another Walmart whining thread. :banghead:

RobG
04-26-2009, 8:58 AM

:rofl2: Should have read further. Funny, your second post is saying maybe I don't belong. Again, hilarious.

Look, the ammo "shortage" seems to be short for many of those that sit around their PC all day hoping someone will find ammo for them. I tell people all the the time when WM in ELK GROVE CALIFORNIA has ammo. Then I see 5 threads how "I can't find ammo in XYZ." I again tell them its in ELK GROVE. No, thats like an hour away, I would rather cry about it then take a trip so I can shoot my gun. Hell, go to Guns Fishin and Stuff. They have ammo all the time. Its really not the lack of ammo people b$%th about, its the lack of CHEAP ammo. Guns are a hobby generally and not a cheap one. Put your hobby aside for a while until the ammo "shortage" is over. Now, I am going to count up all my 45, 223, and 22 I have hoarded away:p Oh, did I mention I found primers galore at a small shop nearby:43:

LexLuther
04-26-2009, 8:58 AM
Yes, they should at least until the shortage is over. You horders really suck. You drive up the price just so the ammo can sit in your closet while others of us who would actually get some enjoyment from shooting the ammunition are stuck with none. Or even worse you bastards are turning arround and reselling the ammo at a higher price. All this hording does is jack up the price and screw up the supply for the rest of us who just want to shoot. My friend and I wanted to go shooting one weekend, WM had .22 on thursday evening, maybe 50 boxes off bulk packs, by the time my friend could get there the next day, the clerk told him "sorry some guy bought the last 16 boxes just before you" Really you jerk, what do you need with 8,000++ rounds??? My walmart put in a limit of 2 per customer per caliber and it was about time.

RobG
04-26-2009, 9:05 AM
All this hording does is jack up the price

I have been buying 45 WWB at the same WM for almost two years. The price has gone up 2.00, and not at all since the "hoarders" are buying at all.

Buying to resell at 100% increase is ridiculous but, not as ridiculous as those actually paying it.

easy
04-26-2009, 9:35 AM
No.

Go early in the morning. Stop calling.

DNA
04-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Where have you guys been able to score the 22lr bulk pack? Shoot...

Enthusiast... all I have to say is NICE! Wish I had the foresight to stock up... :P

Dan

Ifticar
04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
It is evident that many of the old timers in this sport resent all the new comers. The OT attitude seem to be obtaining ammo should be trial similar to a frat initiation or boot camp. If the newcomer really wants to participate, he needs to getup early in morning,, skip work, drive for hours (no calling), pay outrageous prices and suffer verbal abuse and ridicule.

Obama is sending them to us. The old timers are sending them back.

kermit315
04-26-2009, 1:33 PM
Here is a question for those participating in this thread, and others watching.

What is your opinion on the whole "support your local stores over walmart, because walmart has so much clout that they can undercut/buyout the supply of the local guys, putting them out of business."

I know I have read these threads here before, just wondering where everybody stands on the topic.

berto
04-26-2009, 2:22 PM
Here is a question for those participating in this thread, and others watching.

What is your opinion on the whole "support your local stores over walmart, because walmart has so much clout that they can undercut/buyout the supply of the local guys, putting them out of business."

I know I have read these threads here before, just wondering where everybody stands on the topic.

WalMart doesn't sell ammo in my county or one of the neighboring counties. I'd have to drive for at least 45 mins. to get to any WalMart that sells ammo. I might consider it if I had the money to stock up and there was a ready supply. The savings would need to beat the gas money, possible bridge toll, and time.

It's Big5 or the local shop for me. I'd love to save money but my options are limited. Paying more to help the local shop stay afloat isn't a bad thing.

sierra
04-26-2009, 2:26 PM
I try not to buy more than half of any one product.

It sucks when you see some jackass clear everything out, just to add to his stockpile in the basement. There are others who need stuff for their safety. There are others who need to sight-in their weapons. Etc.

12voltguy
04-26-2009, 3:48 PM
I voted yes. 5 boxes per person, per sku number in one day sounds very reasonable

and 1 handgun per 30 days.... 10 day wait, no MG's, no suppresors, no SBR, no SBS,.............uh o......that already happened, dumb ***:rolleyes:
local wallmart is now 2 boxes max:rolleyes:

RobG
04-26-2009, 3:53 PM
I will say it again; IF THE GOV'T RATIONED AMMO EVERYONE WOULD BE UP IN ARMS. WHY THEN SHOULD WM????????

RobG
04-26-2009, 3:54 PM
WalMart doesn't sell ammo in my county or one of the neighboring counties. I'd have to drive for at least 45 mins. to get to any WalMart that sells ammo. I might consider it if I had the money to stock up and there was a ready supply. The savings would need to beat the gas money, possible bridge toll, and time.

It's Big5 or the local shop for me. I'd love to save money but my options are limited. Paying more to help the local shop stay afloat isn't a bad thing.

You are in the area so you probably have gone but, El Cerrito Big 5 has been decent as of late. Prices are just so-so. Not WM low unfortunately.

kermit315
04-26-2009, 4:08 PM

I am not limiting this to ammo in particular, but all goods/markets that walmart deals in.

Seems to me that the same people against walmart would be the ones up in arms here also. Because they "come in and close down the mom and pop shops with their buying power", it is the same thing as local shops buying up all the ammo at walmart, shutting out the non shop locals.

In my scenario, walmart is replaced by local shops/ranges, and the local shops are replaced by local non shops/regular consumers.

Seems there has been a paradigm shift, at least as it relates to ammo, I wonder how people feel now about wanting to keep walmarts from communities because they run the locals out of business.

I wonder of there are people that are all for keeping a walmart from being put up because of the impact on the local economy, but they still dont see any problem with using walmart tactics to shut others out of shooting.

My personal opinion on this whole mess is that it is capitalism. However, I have to recognize the irony in the situation, of the same local shops that complain (as a group, not singling any one shop out) about walmart, using the same tactics when it benefits them.

11Z50
04-26-2009, 4:11 PM
Shopping around at the gun show in Fresno revealed even MiWall is boosting prices, but people aren't going for it like they were. MiWall was trying to sell Federal 9mm for $20/50 and there was plenty left on the table this afternoon. Wal-Mart, and to some degree Sports Authority and B-5 are keeping prices down so locals are content to wait a bit and make a score at a local box store.

If the big chains started to boost prices I think it would really start a panic, but if one is patient, one can still get 9mm for less than $10/50 and 45 for $15/50. Rather than buying just to buy it, I buy as much as I can when the price is right. For the next few weeks, if you have not stocked up, you may be SOL and forced to pay an inflated price if you want to shoot. I have yet to pay more than usual pre-crisis prices for most ammo, and it is really a matter of buying as much as you can when you can get a good price. The last 9mm I bought at Wal-Mart a few days ago was $8.96/50, which is about what I was paying last October.

My prediction is in a few weeks we'll see the major suppliers, like Natchez, get some shipments in and the prices will be right. This will take the pressure off Wal-Mart and the others, and supply will catch up with demand.

tenpercentfirearms
04-26-2009, 4:13 PM
Man the whining about fair and unfair is incredulous. Seriously, this is a free market. No one has to share with anyone. You just need to try harder to get ammo.

And newbies who can't find it aren't giving up because someone else horded it all. Give me a break.

If someone wants to buy 8000 round of .22 LR and have it sit around, that is their right just like it is your right. Quit being a bunch of crybabies because mommy and daddy aren't there to hand out your ammo to you and God forbid you might have to actually become a grown up and search it out for yourself.

Seriously amazing. No one this state sucks so bad. Way too many people expect life to be fair.

And Walmart will never drive the local gun store out of business. #1: Walmart no longer sells guns, which is a pretty important factor in running a successful gun shop. So if I have guns and they don't, I am going to get your business. #2, if I manage to get any kind of ammo in, it won't matter what price I sell it for, you are going to buy it right now. Even then, I tell people to buy ammo at Walmart all the time. They still come back for the guns.

People who complain that big chain stores drive them out of business are failing business models. The only reason my gun store in Taft will ever fail is if I get tired of it or guns are banned. People want guns and I have them. It really is that simple. Walmart, Big 5, Bass Pro Shops, and Cabelas cannot stop me.

RobG
04-26-2009, 4:19 PM
kermit315 and Wes, exactly! Like I said earlier. People are more pi#$ed about not being able to find CHEAP ammo, not ammo in general. Hell, I even sold some ammo for pennies more than I paid. You know what, I had two buyers and no others interested. One guy wanted me to drive 35 miles to him since I was making 1.35 per box:rolleyes:

kermit315
04-26-2009, 4:27 PM
I understand the frustration of going to walmart looking for ammo and not finding any. I get it. To be quite honest, I have 20 rounds of 9mm, 20 rounds of .40, maybe half a brick of .22, and maybe 40 rounds of 12ga right now. I dont have any extra money to get more, either, because I am financing my mothers illness and saving up for a cross country move. When I get a few extra bucks, I like to go to walmart, then head to the range and pop a few off.

However, I do realize that people are free to do what they want, buy what they want, etc.

I am all for walmart. I have liberals in my workcenter that swear that walmart is the devil, and they need to be regulated. Microsoft needs to be regulated, etc. I ask them why, and get back "well, they are too big and will run others out of business."

My response is always "so, they offer what people want, at the price they want, and are good at selling it, and you want to penalize walmart for their success, and turn local business' into welfare recipients via sanctions on said walmart. I always get a yes answer from them.

drexotic
04-26-2009, 4:40 PM
I can't believe you cry babies!
If you want to get yours just get to Wall Mart early.
I talked w/ the sporting goods managers at the Aero Dr. and Clairmont stores. Both stalk ammo at night and it's typically available early.
Just adjust your schedule so you can be there when ammo goes on sale and buy all you need.

Futurecollector
04-26-2009, 4:59 PM
YOu guys are all funny, but you know what really sucks?!?!?!?! when you go to your local wal-mart and they have 5-WWB 100 VP .45, 6-WWB 100 VP 9mm and Blazer Brass, and I cant buy any of it! not because its taken, its sitting right there, but because I didnt bring my dad with me LMAO, Im only 18 lol. NOW THAT BLOWS lol

Joe
04-26-2009, 5:10 PM
just say its for your 9mm rifle. I used to do that all the time. They'd ask me what rifle I had and I'd tell them a 9mm AR.

tenpercentfirearms
04-26-2009, 8:48 PM
just say its for your 9mm rifle. I used to do that all the time. They'd ask me what rifle I had and I'd tell them a 9mm AR.

That works at my shop.

pbwhite
04-26-2009, 8:51 PM
SCREW WalMart they or a puppet of the peoples republic of china and no one should shop there ever they are destroying america.. but that is my opinion

EGGSPLITTER
04-26-2009, 9:53 PM
I wonder how many "YES" voters here have bought-up AR lowers, LPK's etc just to turn them over at an outrageous profit. :confused: Apples and oranges?.......Yes. Both practices hoarding and making a buck in a supply/demand situation? YES! Also. Me personally? NO EFFEN WAY I EVER THINK AMMO REGULATION AT ANY LEVEL IS ANYTHING BUT A BAD THING! :mad: It will just be the start.

ChuckBooty
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
The only thing that I have a problem with is gun stores buying all of the ammo and marking it up 500% at their stores. I know it's a free market but that's F'd up.

DREADNOUGHT78
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Now it is hitting home!I went to buy ammo on Friday at the only place still not raping us for ammo and low and behold 10 bucks a box for PMC brass 223
$500.00 a case for 1000! I guess even the 1 gunshop in town with decent prices couldn't avoid the hype!

glock_this
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO

the mere fact anyone on this forum would vote yes flys in the face of all of the work that is being done to further our rights as gun owners & limit the endless controls and restrictions.. and then to applaud such further restrictions - even if for a private vendor like Walmart - it makes me sick to my stomach that there is even 1 yes vote as its implications extend farther beyond just Walmart.

there is nothing at CalGuns that I abhor more than the ones of those people here whining and complaining about "ammo hoarders" and "we need ammo restrictions".

ammo benevolence will not get you into heaven, nor does anyone care at the end of the day but you - those of you that post up about how great of people you are for saving a box of ammo on the shelf "for the next guy" are like the Pharisees, making it known in public how good you are just to be seen as "a good guy". Bah!

kermit315
04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
or, maybe they feel it coincides with their personal morals.

I think you might be using quite a broad brush with that last statement.

glock_this
04-26-2009, 11:00 PM
"personal morals".... such as?

what actual morality is at stake or in question when it comes to limiting ammo purchasing or - for the sake of argument - hoarding ammo??

morals are reserved for issues like theft & stealing, lying & cheating, hurting a person, etc... but what moral conundrum could you possibly create for yourself to use that as your reason for wanting ammo sales restriction.. a totally legal thing to do. ammo benevolence? that is a moral issue? "yeah, I need to leave a box fo rthe next guy" or "yeah, we really need to limit how much we buy so we can spread the ammo around to fellow shooters"..

it is such poppycock, it is nutty.. do any of you who feel this way practice this in all things in life - or just here on the boards when you complain or tell others how good of a guy you were by leaving a box or support walmart for doing so? I really really doubt it..

cousinkix1953
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
The USA is currently experiencing shortages of ammunition. Walmart get regular shipments of ammuntion which it sells for a great prices. This has led to some individuals buying up entire shipments or significant portions of shipments for resale or for hording..

Should Walmart limit the sale of any given ammunition SKU on a per customer per day basis? For example 5 boxes of a single SKU per customer per day?

Yes
No
No opinion.
The anti-gun media is watching them. We are treated to regular news reports about gun and ammo hoarding. Anti-gun politicians might do it for Wal*Mart on a permanent basis; if they can't do it for themselves and slow down this greed. So what, if they limit how many boxes you can buy at a time. Get some more at another location.

Other FFLs are buying entire shipments, jacking up prices and screwing Wal*Mart's regular customers. They are no better than those price gouging gas stations, who ripped us in last year's contrived fuel shartages...

SanMiguel3
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Other FFLs are buying entire shipments, jacking up prices and screwing Wal*Mart's regular customers. They are no better than those price gouging gas stations, who ripped us in last year's contrived fuel shartages...

I keep reading this claim, and yet last time I requested verification of such claim no one stepped forward with such proof.

Oh, and I voted "No" on the poll. To read this board you'd think Walmart is the only place that sells ammo. :rolleyes:

Scout2Diesel
04-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Telling/making/forcing other people to do what you want is a pure form of selfishness.

Over hearing the regular WM clerk being told that another manager was instructing to limit purchases of ammo. I let them know ... thats great except for the next guy who wants to buy a case. I dislike having odd lots of ammo.

If a gunshop, range or whoever gets there before me so be it.... I'd hate to own a firing range and have no ammo to sell. I've been in that situation in my profession and it was all caused by government regulations... writen by the under informed. (FYI prices tripled in that situation and available products were mainly substandard)

Clinton
04-27-2009, 12:12 AM
The "yes" voters here are casting their votes out of shear frustration. There simply isn't any ammo available at WM or any other local gun shop. If WM takes it upon themselves to limit purchases, that's not the same thing as government control.
I wanted to take the kids out to shoot 22's and I can't even get enough of it right now to do it. (unless I wanted to let them shoot CCI Stinger ammo)

tmncali
04-27-2009, 1:38 AM
I have been frustrated at walmart on a almost a daily basis, but I would not want them to limit my ability to purchase what I want when it is available. There is already too many restrictions placed upon gun owners, why add more? I just keep looking and some days I get lucky and buy what I can afford at the time. I guess if I could afford it and I found enough I might try and buy some and sell it for more.... what the free market might support.. This happens with all high profile items, when new game consoles come out, the gotta have Christmas toy. If people were not willing to pay the inflated prices, then these people could just sit with their stockplies, and they would stop going out to buy it for resale. It is late I may not be making sense... But I say no.. and I say this after being told yes we have ammo, driving to the store and it is all in one person's cart, they were luckier than me that day. NO. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

cousinkix1953
04-27-2009, 1:41 AM
Telling/making/forcing other people to do what you want is a pure form of selfishness.

If a gunshop, range or whoever gets there before me so be it.... I'd hate to own a firing range and have no ammo to sell. I've been in that situation in my profession and it was all caused by government regulations... writen by the under informed. (FYI prices tripled in that situation and available products were mainly substandard)
Those people should have the kind of licenses needed to purchase truck loads of ammo directly from factories!!!

Wild Squid
04-27-2009, 1:47 AM

Fantastic! Give yourself a pat on the back! :thumbsup:
But wheres the stash of 10,000 loaves of bread and 1000 gallons of milk? :p

CnCFunFactory
04-27-2009, 1:58 AM
they should regulate ammunition
i don't think its fair that some people are buying up huge shipments
and not giving others a chance to get some ammo
but then its first come first serve so whatevers

Boo hoo.

tenpercentfirearms
04-27-2009, 5:28 AM
Now it is hitting home!I went to buy ammo on Friday at the only place still not raping us for ammo and low and behold 10 bucks a box for PMC brass 223
$500.00 a case for 1000! I guess even the 1 gunshop in town with decent prices couldn't avoid the hype!

$10 a box is not bad. Your mom and pop store are getting no where near as cheap as Walmart. I think the last load of PMC I got in was nearly a year ago and if I remember right I got it for no less than like $6.05 a box. At $10 that would put me in the 65.29% range. Actually a decent mark up for once, but hardly gouging. And again, that is assuming the mom and pop store just didn't pay $7.99 for it which would put it at 25.16%.

RaceDay
04-27-2009, 7:37 AM
$10 a box is not bad. Your mom and pop store are getting no where near as cheap as Walmart. I think the last load of PMC I got in was nearly a year ago and if I remember right I got it for no less than like $6.05 a box. At $10 that would put me in the 65.29% range. Actually a decent mark up for once, but hardly gouging. And again, that is assuming the mom and pop store just didn't pay $7.99 for it which would put it at 25.16%.

It sounds to me like you mom and pop stores need to wise up and get out there earlier and get better prices for yourself so you can survive with a decent markup. Stop whining and do something about it. :eek:

12voltguy
04-27-2009, 8:00 AM
No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO No No NO No NO NO NO NO

the mere fact anyone on this forum would vote yes flys in the face of all of the work that is being done to further our rights as gun owners & limit the endless controls and restrictions.. and then to applaud such further restrictions - even if for a private vendor like Walmart - it makes me sick to my stomach that there is even 1 yes vote as its implications extend farther beyond just Walmart.

there is nothing at CalGuns that I abhor more than the ones of those people here whining and complaining about "ammo hoarders" and "we need ammo restrictions".

ammo benevolence will not get you into heaven, nor does anyone care at the end of the day but you - those of you that post up about how great of people you are for saving a box of ammo on the shelf "for the next guy" are like the Pharisees, making it known in public how good you are just to be seen as "a good guy". Bah!

NO **** !
these guys don't "GET IT":rolleyes:

pingpong
04-27-2009, 8:02 AM
There's nothing wrong with hoarding ammo, but something just gets to me if someone has a special relationship with Walmart to be able to buy all the ammo before it's even made available to regular customers. At that point, it doesn't seem like a free market anymore...

tenpercentfirearms
04-27-2009, 6:36 PM
It sounds to me like you mom and pop stores need to wise up and get out there earlier and get better prices for yourself so you can survive with a decent markup. Stop whining and do something about it. :eek:I am not whining about anything. If you think $10 a box is too much, go wait in line at Walmart. I simply stated $10 a box is not gouging or "falling for the hype". It is ammo in stock if you want to buy it.

As I have stated before, Walmart is not a threat to my business. You will never find me complaining about them. They don't sell guns at all, let alone AR15s.

matrix056
04-27-2009, 6:48 PM
For those of you who "hoard" ammunition....I would like to personally thank you. I am an LEO and I cannot get ammunition to practice with my duty weapon. An no, my department doesn't give me any to practice with. Sorry, just venting......:cuss:

rkt88edmo
04-27-2009, 6:58 PM
No - I am 0/4 streak on Walmart casual stops for ammo so far, which means no WWB .223, WWB 9mm or fed.22

Lyte-
04-27-2009, 7:01 PM
I'm mostly troubled by other gun stores purchasing all of Walmarts ammunition then turning around and selling it for more at their store.

I have recently had several friends purchase firearms for the first time after going shooting with me. Like them, I am unable to enjoy this hobby because of a few greedy individuals escalating the prices of ammunition to the point of it being unaffordable.

I stop by every walmart I can find several times a week. If I see ammo that My self or my friends need then I buy it. I will sell it to them for the same price I bought it for not for a profit (even though it cost me gas money to get it) because thats just the type of person I am.

How ever most walmarts have started limiting ammo to 2 boxes per caliber of ammo.

glock_this
04-27-2009, 7:16 PM
I wonder how much of the walmart debacle with ammo rationing is due to the fervor kicked up here on the boards by everyone yacking away about "this WM has this", "that WM has that", and in the end, CalGuns posters get people all whipped up to go buy for fear of not being able to get ammo and so everyone is rushing in and buying and/or getting disappointed. Kind of an ironic thought if you think about it... how many "Walmart" updates threads are here telling everyone where to go get ammo, where it's out, what WM is expecting shipments and people go and are pizzed when it is gone as there are like 500 other people reading here and going and doing the same thing... go figure... but what do you expect? maybe everyone just needs to stop posting about friggen "ALERT ALERT WM ammo update" and, invariably, spreading the word to hundreds of people and thus, maybe chill out the feeding frenzy so you can get your boxes.

or, is it just to dame late as eeevvvvrrrrryyyoonnneee knows to go to WM.

kermit315
04-27-2009, 7:17 PM
"personal morals".... such as?

what actual morality is at stake or in question when it comes to limiting ammo purchasing or - for the sake of argument - hoarding ammo??

morals are reserved for issues like theft & stealing, lying & cheating, hurting a person, etc... but what moral conundrum could you possibly create for yourself to use that as your reason for wanting ammo sales restriction.. a totally legal thing to do. ammo benevolence? that is a moral issue? "yeah, I need to leave a box fo rthe next guy" or "yeah, we really need to limit how much we buy so we can spread the ammo around to fellow shooters"..

it is such poppycock, it is nutty.. do any of you who feel this way practice this in all things in life - or just here on the boards when you complain or tell others how good of a guy you were by leaving a box or support walmart for doing so? I really really doubt it..

Each person has their own moral compass. Just because you reserve your morals for issues like theft/stealing, lying, cheating, hurting others, etc, does not mean that everybody else does. Have you ever heard of the golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you? Because, some people use that as part of their personal moral compass.

It might be nutty, but who are you to judge how somebody else lives their life.

And, maybe you should go back and reread my post earlier in this thread, instead of jumping in in the middle: I am on the side of capitalism, not setting rations/limits.

diegodog2
04-27-2009, 9:57 PM
news flash wallyworld in San Marcos (san diego) has a clipboard and you list the ammo you want...they call you when it arrives...They called me and asked if I wanted any 9mm.....two boxes per person...the ammo does'nt even make it into the case!!!!:17:

Bizcuits
04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Hmm, so today Walmart rations ammo to one box a customer, tomorrow new legislation rations one box of any caliber per month to any citizen.

bigcalidave
04-28-2009, 12:17 AM
In related news, we lost another walmart to the rationing battle... First the Redding store started doing it, to which I filed a complaint with their corporate office and got some contacts there, now as of yesterday, the Anderson superwalmart has enacted the same policy. I'll be calling again tomorrow. Hope I can work out this damn problem once and for all.

No, rationing is not ok. Even the moderators here have posted numerous times to SHUT UP about it!!! So can we PLEASE lock these damn threads????

Ifticar
04-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Did your new buds at the corporate office get Redding to stop rationing?

I suspect not. Given the attitude you displayed in your post they probably gave you the old "nod and smile" dodge.

Chewyoates77
04-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I bet obama is the one that started this thread.
Your fighting obamas battle for him if you say yes to rationing.
No to rationing. If you don't get any buy it for double somewhere else...

bigcalidave
04-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Did your new buds at the corporate office get Redding to stop rationing?

I suspect not. Given the attitude you displayed in your post they probably gave you the old "nod and smile" dodge.

The attitude I displayed? I'm posting on an internet forum, as are you. And I'm making progress.

Ifticar
04-28-2009, 1:00 AM

Please tell me that you don't really believe that Walmart rationing ammo is the same as the gun control that that sneaky little *****, Obama, wants to foister unto us. I would like to think that you are being sarcastic but I am not sure. Are you really serious?

Ifticar
04-28-2009, 1:05 AM
And I'm making progress.

Oh, so you did get Redding to stop rationing.. Good for you, big guy. You won. I lost.

bluestaterebel
04-28-2009, 1:15 AM
Hmm, so today Walmart rations ammo to one box a customer, tomorrow new legislation rations one box of any caliber per month to any citizen.

If Walmart rations ammo its because of supply not some political agenda.

Wild Squid
04-28-2009, 3:55 AM
I wonder how much of the walmart debacle with ammo rationing is due to the fervor kicked up here on the boards by everyone yacking away about "this WM has this", "that WM has that", and in the end, CalGuns posters get people all whipped up to go buy for fear of not being able to get ammo and so everyone is rushing in and buying and/or getting disappointed. Kind of an ironic thought if you think about it... how many "Walmart" updates threads are here telling everyone where to go get ammo, where it's out, what WM is expecting shipments and people go and are pizzed when it is gone as there are like 500 other people reading here and going and doing the same thing... go figure... but what do you expect? maybe everyone just needs to stop posting about friggen "ALERT ALERT WM ammo update" and, invariably, spreading the word to hundreds of people and thus, maybe chill out the feeding frenzy so you can get your boxes.

or, is it just to dame late as eeevvvvrrrrryyyoonnneee knows to go to WM.

I think you're right. I never used to save ammo as much as I do now. Heck, I don't even go shoot anymore.

Hoop
04-28-2009, 8:17 AM

No, you're not, because there is a buyer out there for every box of wally world ammo AND you can COME BACK THE NEXT DAY AND BUY MORE (if there is anymore, I bought 2 cases one day, nothing there the next).

Mazilla
04-28-2009, 9:31 AM
Ration that **** so the greedy dip****s(you know who you are) stop ruining this hobby for so many people. It's not socialism, it's not part of the big plan to control guns, people who believe that are borderline retarded. Considering the numbers in the poll, I would say that half the people here agree with me.

r1ghtw1ng
04-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I voted no. The guys who are driving all over the bay area buying cases at a time at ungodly hours on their credit cards are actually paying a premium with their time and energy and upfront cost. Those aren't free. Their markup is justified if the market will bear it.

I recently paid a couple bucks over retail for some Walmart ammo because I don't have the time or energy to drive to Milpitas or Tracy. It's the reality of the free market that prices will go up when demand goes up. Grin and bear it.

RobG
04-28-2009, 3:09 PM
For those of you who "hoard" ammunition....I would like to personally thank you. I am an LEO and I cannot get ammunition to practice with my duty weapon. An no, my department doesn't give me any to practice with. Sorry, just venting......:cuss:

Really? If thats the case, your dept. has bigger issues. I seriously doubt anyone "hoarding" 10000 rounds of .22 bulk is hurting you.

RobG
04-28-2009, 3:18 PM
Ration that **** so the greedy dip****s(you know who you are) stop ruining this hobby for so many people. It's not socialism, it's not part of the big plan to control guns, people who believe that are borderline retarded. Considering the numbers in the poll, I would say that half the people here agree with me.

Actually, about 35% agree with you. There is no way to ration ammo. They would have to ration it out to you every day/week/month or whatever and keep numbers of every persons ammo count. If I buy 5 boxes (the limit) per day until they are gone, what has that done? Hell, if my WM starts it, I will keep quiet when they have ammo and not post it on the forum like I do now.

12voltguy
04-28-2009, 4:10 PM

yup, proves 35% of you are insane:rolleyes:.........& you can't do basic math

Ifticar
04-28-2009, 4:17 PM
If I buy 5 boxes (the limit) per day until they are gone, what has that done?

That has allowed a lot of people to also buy their five boxes. Something they could not have done with you or someone like you sucking up the entire shipment in one gulp. That is, after all, what this is all about.

Ifticar
04-28-2009, 4:31 PM
Hell, if my WM starts it, I will keep quiet when they have ammo and not post it on the forum like I do now.

I don't think your updates will be missed since you have not posted any since March 4. :p

rkt88edmo
04-28-2009, 4:38 PM
There is a ration - if you're first you get some, if not, no soup for you!

247Nino
04-28-2009, 4:47 PM
well, the rationing has started.

MarioS
04-28-2009, 5:33 PM
I don't have a problem with really high demand but I do have a problem with greed and selfishness...that's all. In the end, I vote no for rationing, but it is annoying and inconsiderate when one or two people buy everything BEFORE it hits the shelves. I can play that game too if I wanted but I don't want buying ammo to become such an "under-the-counter" deal type of thing with the employees. After it hits the shelves, fair game, but a little consideration would be really nice. Last time I found some ammo I wanted at Wally World, I left a handful of boxes on the shelf hoping it would help someone else out there. I figured the hoarders had already been there.

jumbopanda
04-28-2009, 8:41 PM
I give the idea of rationing ammo, two "lulz" and a "hawhaw!"

bigcalidave
04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Oh, so you did get Redding to stop rationing.. Good for you, big guy. You won. I lost.

Go whine somewhere else. 6 boxes of anything vs 2 of each is better than ... well... 2 of each! lol. Why do you post if you only have a negative attitude about everything?

11Z50
04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I did a small roadtrip to Sac yesterday and checked all Wal-Marts that were close to the freeway. Madera had 1 box of Blazer brass .45 ACP, (I had to scoop it up) and 10 333 rd .22LR value packs. (I took 4). Turlock had the 333 value packs as well, so I bought another 4. Modesto had an old codger behind the counter who was gleefully scotch-taping the new ammo limit policy to the glass doors of the ammo shelves. This knucklehead started to brag about how he saw to it the policy was enacted, and if it was up to him, there would be a 1 box limit rather than the 6 box per day the boss went with. Made me wonder what it would be like to have being in charge of ammo at Wal-Mart being the apex of one's life.:cool:

I called Wild Sports when I got to Sac, and for the first time I can remember, nothing was on special. On the way home I stopped at Bass Pro in Manteca and bought a couple 500-rd 22LR value packs and some 22/250 value packs. I also bought a .36 cap and ball revolver, and checked out the Marlin .22 semi-autos on sale for $119.....nice!

Soooooo, it looks like the limit folks are having some success, but the free market system still prevails, at least for now. I wonder what will happen when the distributors get the big dump of ammo in June and Wal-Mart gets stocked to the hilt with ammo. Should be interesting. The same folks who are whining about wanting to limit purchases may have it backfire on them when the inventory catches up and they can't buy more than 2 boxes at a time!

In the meanwhile, it is great fun to check all the Wal-Marts for ammo and sometimes hit a nice score. It gives me something to look forward to!

Ifticar
04-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Why do you post if you only have a negative attitude about everything?

What me negative? Was it me that said:
STFU about people buying all the ammo
or
SHUT UP about it!!! So can we PLEASE lock these damn threads

No? That must have been you.

gordon freeman
04-29-2009, 1:19 AM
..... I don't see how we get new folks interested in the sport if you have to camp out for ammo or buy from the losers that raid Walmart and then sell at a profit.

Ya, those same losers, can be seen camping out in the toy department looking for today's Walmart exclusive Barbie doll or the NEW and ultra improved Titanium X-Wing Fighter ...
:xwing::xwing::xwing:

gordon freeman
04-29-2009, 1:33 AM
I did a small roadtrip to Sac yesterday and checked all Wal-Marts that were close to the freeway....

.....Modesto had an old codger behind the counter who was gleefully scotch-taping the new ammo limit policy to the glass doors of the ammo shelves. This knucklehead started to brag about how he saw to it the policy was enacted, and if it was up to him, there would be a 1 box limit rather than the 6 box per day the boss went with. Made me wonder what it would be like to have being in charge of ammo at Wal-Mart being the apex of one's life.:cool:

....In the meanwhile, it is great fun to check all the Wal-Marts for ammo and sometimes hit a nice score. It gives me something to look forward to!

I guess the apex of your life is trolling WM? :rolleyes:

ENTHUSIAST
04-29-2009, 2:34 AM
Ya, those same losers, can be seen camping out in the toy department looking for today's Walmart exclusive Barbie doll or the NEW and ultra improved Titanium X-Wing Fighter ...

Slip a $20 Dollar bill and your cell # to the right late night Wally World drone and you can get regular updates on when all your favorite calibers are coming off of the truck in wrapped pallets...

...but I am sure that all you advocates of Nanny-State Socialism are sharp enough to figure out what Capitalism, Freedom and a little Ingenuity in a FREE MARKET economy can do!!! :thumbsup:

P.S. Just in case you arent here is another hint ALL WMs in the ENTIRE AREA get the SAME Calibers on the SAME DAY... AT THE SAME TIME!!! :cool:

I have said too much already but I hope this helps all the whiners... now if only your boss/parents/wife and/or who ever else holds your hand and straps the helmet on your head when you leave the house... will let you go out that late to get it!!! :p

ENTHUSIAST
04-29-2009, 2:38 AM
I did a small roadtrip to Sac yesterday and checked all Wal-Marts that were close to the freeway. Madera had 1 box of Blazer brass .45 ACP, (I had to scoop it up) and 10 333 rd .22LR value packs. (I took 4). Turlock had the 333 value packs as well, so I bought another 4. Modesto had an old codger behind the counter who was gleefully scotch-taping the new ammo limit policy to the glass doors of the ammo shelves. This knucklehead started to brag about how he saw to it the policy was enacted, and if it was up to him, there would be a 1 box limit rather than the 6 box per day the boss went with. Made me wonder what it would be like to have being in charge of ammo at Wal-Mart being the apex of one's life.:cool:

I called Wild Sports when I got to Sac, and for the first time I can remember, nothing was on special. On the way home I stopped at Bass Pro in Manteca and bought a couple 500-rd 22LR value packs and some 22/250 value packs. I also bought a .36 cap and ball revolver, and checked out the Marlin .22 semi-autos on sale for $119.....nice!

Soooooo, it looks like the limit folks are having some success, but the free market system still prevails, at least for now. I wonder what will happen when the distributors get the big dump of ammo in June and Wal-Mart gets stocked to the hilt with ammo. Should be interesting. The same folks who are whining about wanting to limit purchases may have it backfire on them when the inventory catches up and they can't buy more than 2 boxes at a time!

In the meanwhile, it is great fun to check all the Wal-Marts for ammo and sometimes hit a nice score. It gives me something to look forward to!

LMFAO!!! Some get drunk from all of the raw POWER of the Ammo Cabinet key!!! LOL! ^^^

ENTHUSIAST
04-29-2009, 2:46 AM

So Police ranges sell ammo to LEOs at so much of a mark up that our local LEOs have to go to Wal-Mart for a deal on ammo WTF!?!

*How many LEOs out there are doing this??? Can anyone verify... I mean specifically for your ammo for duty weapon not your 10/22 OK...???

donsnnk
04-29-2009, 3:20 AM
Boo hoo.

you should have put a sad face = (
haha looks better

jumbopanda
04-29-2009, 3:30 AM
If your ability to shoot your guns depends solely on the availability of ammo at Walmart, you're doing something wrong.

RobG
04-29-2009, 9:32 AM
If your ability to shoot your guns depends solely on the availability of ammo at Walmart, you're doing something wrong.

:thumbsup: No kidding. You would think WM is the end all be all of ammunition in the country.

That has allowed a lot of people to also buy their five boxes. Something they could not have done with you or someone like you sucking up the entire shipment in one gulp. That is, after all, what this is all about.

I actually do not "suck up" all the ammo available. I do buy what I can afford at the time which is no where near the entire rack full. No updates since March 4th? Thats because I am sitting on my "hoard" of ammo. But I will be sure to let WM know that "Ifticar" from Calguns.net is in need of ammo so please save it until he can get by to make a purchase:p

BroncoBob
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
No, I may want to buy a pallet or two of ammo

gd-bh
04-29-2009, 1:30 PM

I've found that many times the "hunt" is at least as much fun as the "score", if not more. Rationing is a bad bad bad bad bad bad idea, at least here in America.

Scout2Diesel
04-29-2009, 2:56 PM
Those people should have the kind of licenses needed to purchase truck loads of ammo directly from factories!!!

?... Ah Gunshops, Shooting Ranges are licensed. If you want whoever to be licensed the are many band wagons you can jump onto for that ends...but here? This is not that Choir.

If a restaurant runs out of something should they wait to get what they need from a wholesaler?

It seems all the whinning is about somebody buying a cartfull or two and not a truck load. Lets not be silly.

There is a lot of risk involved with resale of ammo in quanity without a license...let alone with one. I don't think people have thought it out completely.

Don't worry this will all change...

high_revs
04-29-2009, 5:35 PM
again, walmart is NOT the government! and we are already being rationed by the gun store owners, and like berto said, that ration is zero.
if you're willing to accept this control, what else are you willing to accept.

that's what i was referring to in my post.

gunhohulk
04-29-2009, 6:38 PM
robg, oops my bad you were right i should have read further. i guess i was in such a hurry running off to walmart to get some of those wwb's...

on another note there doesnt seem to be too bad of a shortage in folsom either. i do hate walmart with a passion but i do go there for ammo. they are usually the only place around where you can get cheap ammo after 8 or so.

qua77ro
04-29-2009, 7:13 PM
Walmart on clairemont mesa blvd in san diego has 9mm blazer in stock.. 4 box limit

cgseanp1
04-29-2009, 7:21 PM
Walmart on clairemont mesa blvd in san diego has 9mm blazer in stock.. 4 box limit

And why exactly is it in stock?? Because of there limit:) I was there this morning at 7am and they had a bunch. Without a doubt, it would be long gone by now without the limit, probably to one or 2 people ;)

ENTHUSIAST
04-29-2009, 7:43 PM
And why exactly is it in stock?? Because of there limit:) I was there this morning at 7am and they had a bunch. Without a doubt, it would be long gone by now without the limit, probably to one or 2 people ;)

NO... it is because I ONLY hoard Federal and WWB! ;)

cgseanp1
04-29-2009, 7:51 PM
NO... it is because I ONLY hoard Federal and WWB! ;)

good for you. I can tell you I would have bought a sh*t load of the blazer if I could have :) But I don't mind, I didn't need it and now other people get the chance. Plus I picked up 5 100WWB 9mm at another wally world. I left one box for someone else :)

NoSmoke
04-29-2009, 8:48 PM
I always say...... "You have to get it before the hoarders do."

cgseanp1
04-29-2009, 9:00 PM
I got to walmart off aero dr at 7am and they only had 6 boxes of wwb 9mm. I wonder if somebody else cleaned them out that fast.. I should have asked the guy.

RaceDay
04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
My local stores are all rationing now. I guess they don't care about the poll results. And there is actually ammo at the stores. I guess Walmart figured it was worth it to get more sales and the foot traffic of people who actually buy other stuff too (diapers, DVDs, dog food, etc.) rather than the locusts who come and clear out the store.

NoSmoke
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Doesn't matter what we think. It's already being done at my local Walmart. 6 items per person per day.

Atleast WM is trying to keep as many customers happy as they can. Hoarders will just have to visit more often. After all, WM realizes that ammunition sales right now is only because many hoarders feel the future supply will not be available or the price will go up. So, a chosen few ****s it up for everyone else.

Once everyone has bought all they can afford, in guns & ammo, demand will fall like a ROCK. And, prices will follow. It's no different from any other market, suppply & demand. I think we've seen the peak in demand or will in the near future. Then, you'll be seeing "falling prices" like at Walmart.

Wild Squid
05-06-2009, 3:14 AM
If a restaurant runs out of something should they wait to get what they need from a wholesaler?

If they were buying up all the stock of whatever I normally buy at a retailer, then yes, they should have to wait too.

Wild Squid
05-06-2009, 3:20 AM
Slip a $20 Dollar bill and your cell # to the right late night Wally World drone and you can get regular updates on when all your favorite calibers are coming off of the truck in wrapped pallets...

...but I am sure that all you advocates of Nanny-State Socialism are sharp enough to figure out what Capitalism, Freedom and a little Ingenuity in a FREE MARKET economy can do!!! :thumbsup:

P.S. Just in case you arent here is another hint ALL WMs in the ENTIRE AREA get the SAME Calibers on the SAME DAY... AT THE SAME TIME!!! :cool:

I have said too much already but I hope this helps all the whiners... now if only your boss/parents/wife and/or who ever else holds your hand and straps the helmet on your head when you leave the house... will let you go out that late to get it!!! :p

You know, you strike me as the rich type that looks down on people who have less money than you.

SOCOM75
05-08-2009, 1:16 AM
This thread is funny... couldn't help but read all the way through.

Quit talking about socialism, capitalism, Obama and taking our frickin guns. You're off-topic and overcomplicating a simple story: One side looks like they just want to pick up a few boxes of WWB on the way to the range. The other side wants to buy them all and F anyone who has a life and can't make Wal Mart their first destination of the day.

There probably shouldn't be any rationing by Wal-Mart... but somebody here made a good point... ration yourself. Did that guy that posted a pic of his pallets of ammo REALLY need to buy pallets of ammo?

You want to talk capitalism? OK, simple: supply and demand. There really is no rise in demand here. It only seems like that's the case because there's been an artificial shortage of supply for the cheaper ammo at Wal-Mart. Sure, we can go to Big5 or some other stores and just buy there... but we prefer Wal Mart because let's face it... we're a bunch of cheap bastards. At least I know I am.

But I understand this point also. There's some folks here who live with mom and dad and have the luxury of spending all their money on all the ammo at Wal Mart. They most likely don't have a family, so they have all the time in the world to hit Wal Mart everyday. And that high stakes job manning the cash register at the local grocery store or big box retailer... well, I guess they don't mind that you're a few minutes late because you had to stop at Wal Mart first. So for the hoarders, BRAVO, you win! For the dude that had all that ammo in the pictures - I don't envy that you have all that ammo, I only envy that you must have no mortgage or car payment to worry about since all your money goes to ammo.

And no, I'm not whining... I just wanted to explain to the whiners why the hoarders are able to get so much ammo. :D

S107
05-08-2009, 5:23 AM
my local wm posted a corp. email thaat stated there will be a 6 item limit too. The only reason i like it is that hopefully it gives me a chance to buy some before someone else buys them all up. on the other hand now i always bring 2 people with me now just in case i get lucky and see some ammo left.

Cnynrat
05-08-2009, 5:38 AM
The Industry WalMart has also imposed a 6 item limit on ammo. Seems like this is quickly becoming universal - probably a corporate decision.

It might be OK if it meant you could count on ammo being available most times you went into the store. At least so for that doesn't seem to be the case.

ilbob
05-08-2009, 6:38 AM
I think WalMart took a good middle ground, no rationing, but making it harder for the resellers to grab it all up so that their regular customers have a shot at it (pun intended).

fastpowerstroker
05-08-2009, 7:02 AM
This thread is funny... couldn't help but read all the way through.

Quit talking about socialism, capitalism, Obama and taking our frickin guns. You're off-topic and overcomplicating a simple story: One side looks like they just want to pick up a few boxes of WWB on the way to the range. The other side wants to buy them all and F anyone who has a life and can't make Wal Mart their first destination of the day.

There probably shouldn't be any rationing by Wal-Mart... but somebody here made a good point... ration yourself. Did that guy that posted a pic of his pallets of ammo REALLY need to buy pallets of ammo?

You want to talk capitalism? OK, simple: supply and demand. There really is no rise in demand here. It only seems like that's the case because there's been an artificial shortage of supply for the cheaper ammo at Wal-Mart. Sure, we can go to Big5 or some other stores and just buy there... but we prefer Wal Mart because let's face it... we're a bunch of cheap bastards. At least I know I am.

But I understand this point also. There's some folks here who live with mom and dad and have the luxury of spending all their money on all the ammo at Wal Mart. They most likely don't have a family, so they have all the time in the world to hit Wal Mart everyday. And that high stakes job manning the cash register at the local grocery store or big box retailer... well, I guess they don't mind that you're a few minutes late because you had to stop at Wal Mart first. So for the hoarders, BRAVO, you win! For the dude that had all that ammo in the pictures - I don't envy that you have all that ammo, I only envy that you must have no mortgage or car payment to worry about since all your money goes to ammo.

And no, I'm not whining... I just wanted to explain to the whiners why the hoarders are able to get so much ammo. :D
Check this out. I worked last night. Stop by my local 24hr WM to see if I could get some ammo for my new sig at 4:30am. Well they had plenty. I asked the guy stocking fishing supplies if I could by a couple of boxes. He said they don't sell ammo till 7am. :mad::censored::censored: I was so pissed I just walked out. I would of gone back but my daughter has to get to school. It will be gone by the time I get back there

SOCOM75
05-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Check this out. I worked last night. Stop by my local 24hr WM to see if I could get some ammo for my new sig at 4:30am. Well they had plenty. I asked the guy stocking fishing supplies if I could by a couple of boxes. He said they don't sell ammo till 7am. :mad::censored::censored: I was so pissed I just walked out. I would of gone back but my daughter has to get to school. It will be gone by the time I get back there

Well according to the hoarders, that's just too bad for you huh? They say, "quit whining" about it... Basically my friend, they mean to say, it's too bad you have a daughter to take to school(and that's not their problem). They on the otherhand, rise and shine early from mom and dad's basement and hit every Wal Mart within a few minutes driving distance. If they're actually employed and not getting an allowance from the folks, then their shift at the local Quik-E-Market doesn't start till the afternoon so they've got all morning to drive around and stock up on ammo they'll never use; and will probably sell for a meager $2.00 profit. But that's capitalism. And if you don't think that's fair... well you're just a whiny socialist. So buck up my friend, and forego one day of your daughter's education, take her to Wal Mart and have her help you carry out the pallet of ammo you'll be able to get! Because even though you're dead tired from your graveyard shift and you have a responsibility to get your daughter to school... by ignoring these things and running to your local Wal Mart early in the morning like these so-called capitalists, you'll score the motherload of ammo baby! Heck, with all that ammo... you might as well quit your job and spend everyday, all day at the range! Oh, and take your daughter with you... school's overrated anyway. That way, she'll be able to grow up to be an ammo hoarder. WINNER! :thumbsup:

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-09-2009, 1:22 AM
I was at walmart today well two of them actually and I could have bought well over 2000 rounds of ammo and re sold it at a 75% mark up. Did I? No I pulled out my iphone logged on to cal guns and posted how much 40 each wal-mart had to let my fellow cal gunners know. We re all in this hobby and we should be willing to share. How many time have one of you guys walked into walmart to pick up a box or two of ammo and not gotten any because someone else came in right before you and bought all they had. Just my 2 cents

5thstreet@sbcglobal.net
05-09-2009, 1:27 AM
Tell you what Im going to do Im going to buy all the ammo from wal mart, of the popular rounds that is (say 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, .22lr). And re sell it here for exactly what I pay for it and limit each person that wants it to 1 or 2 boxes per person

MontClaire
05-09-2009, 1:31 AM
you guys are driving the craziness and prices up by posting this thread with walmart shelf updates! When r you gonna understand that? Watching your threads is like watching a train wreck. Stop it for at least 2 weeks and see what happens. geess.......:banghead:

tenpercentfirearms
05-09-2009, 9:54 AM

LOL. That was a good one. No rise in demand. Then why in the heck does Walmart not have any ammo? They are out because everyone wants to buy it. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about this.

I don't have empty shelves at my store and multiple phone calls a day about whether I have handgun ammo in stock because the demand is the same.

Seriously, people have no freaking clue. It is like they want to live in their own little dream world devoid of reality.

For example the claims that ammo is going to be way over stocked soon and the prices will be bottom dollar. LOL.

Ammo gets used. Many people don't buy it to hoard it. They buy it to shoot it. Then they need more. Ammo is not like the housing market. You buy one house and live in it. You buy a thousand rounds of ammo and you shoot it and need some more.

You guys crack me up.

SOCOM75
05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Then why in the heck does Walmart not have any ammo?

Very simple answer tenpercent... because of people like this guy:

WINNER! :thumbsup:

hotwls13
05-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I just saw a sign at my local WM that say's "limit 6 ammo items per customer". I asked if they meant 6 of a particular brand/caliber and she said "NO, that's six items of ammo from the locked cabinet". She then laughed and said "not like there is anything in there to buy anyway".

Mazilla
05-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I sure hope all the hoarders who are marking prices up and reselling copious amount of ammo out of their home have the proper licences in place and are reporting their profits to the government. I'd hate to see somebody rat them out over something stupid like that, tempers do tend to get out of hand when dealing with this whole ammo thing.

One of my other hobbies is saltwater reef tanks, and I know a few people who tried to make a couple of bucks selling livestock out of their homes only to be reported by a jealous competitor/customer/retailer. I don't see why ammo would be any different....

proudamerican831
05-09-2009, 12:50 PM
deleted

supermario
05-10-2009, 5:17 PM
I wonder how many employee's buy it before it hits the floor and sells it on the Internet? They could make far more than what Wal Mart pays them, maybe buy insurance and be able to afford McDonalds once in a while. What in the world will everyone do with all the ammo they have once all this mess is over with and prices fall?

I seriously doubt it, everytime i go to any walmart, they hardly know anything about hunting, ammo, etc. All they know is that its being bought up buy people with enough money to buy all the cases at once. I go in and just try to buy a couple of value packs to go shooting and the guy at walmart tells me, one guy came in and bought all the cases.. I think thats wrong but what can you do. Sorry to say but its people on calguns that are buying it all up, but oh well.

Joe
05-10-2009, 5:30 PM
Its people behind the counter too. I've been told many times by the clerks that they and other employees buy up all the blazer and wwb before it hits the shelf.

SpecV
05-10-2009, 5:51 PM
now we see that the poll says that there should be no limit, I wonder what it will take for them to change their policy.

Joe
05-10-2009, 8:12 PM
probably when ammo is stocked heavily on their shelves again. My guess, 1-2 years

Jerm
05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
What kinda makes me mad is to see other shop owners go to WM to buy cases of ammo and take it to their shop and double the price. I wonder if wally world is selling ammo for less than these shops can get it from their wholesalers it is starting to kinda look that way. I am sure wally world goes to the manufacturers and says to them you want us to sell your products you better get your pencil sharp and it works for them they probably sell more ammo in the US than any other retailer. All of which does put the local guy at a severe disadvantage. I am glad though that wally world no longer sells guns in CA I prefer buying mine from a knowledgeable gun shop because they know from what you tell them what you are looking for where some person walmart hires for minimum wage could really give a crap. I do buy a significant portion of my ammo at walmart due to the extremely low prices compared to other retailers. Wally world is a retailer not a wholesaler if they want to wholesale ammo sell it a Sams club by the case for the shop owners!

Ifticar
05-11-2009, 10:24 AM
......... I just wanted to explain to the whiners why the hoarders are able to get so much ammo. :D

You did a good job of it. Good post.