The media didn't hesitate to paint the pirates as the victim:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/ap_on_re_af/piracy_suspect_profile

Poor pirates, *barf.

Legasat
04-25-2009, 2:31 PM
The media at it's best [/sarcasm]

Dark&Good
04-25-2009, 2:36 PM
What do you expect in a place run by an unethical private business that uses media and lawsuits as it's main tools?

colossians323
04-25-2009, 2:53 PM
What do you expect in a place run by an unethical private business that uses media and lawsuits as it's main tools?

America???:TFH:

demnogis
04-25-2009, 3:09 PM
Abdiwali should consider himself lucky to be alive and testifying.

HowardW56
04-25-2009, 3:29 PM
The media didn't hesitate to paint the pirates as the victim:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/ap_on_re_af/piracy_suspect_profile

Poor pirates, *barf.

Pirate = TARGET

aileron
04-25-2009, 4:19 PM
Lets recap.

He lived in one of the worst places in the planet. With some of the worst living conditions.

He had to resort to piracy to survive in his war torn country when he wasn't trying to catch fish. (Speculating how this came about)

He might not always have had three square meals a day.

He now has.

Free room and board.
Three square meals a day.
A bunk bed that is probably more comfortable than the one he had at home.
Probably TV
Free medical.
Free dental.
He's also famous back home.
And we will probably educate him, if he so chooses.

Seems to me he's moved up in the world. I don't think I would paint him as a victim at all. One lucky Somalian is what I see.

lioneaglegriffin
04-25-2009, 6:22 PM
also south park broke out the violin for the somali pirates, but the ending of that episode was awesome.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m41QQhg5kcg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m41QQhg5kcg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1BigPea
04-25-2009, 10:50 PM
She said her son often spoke of the American dream, longing to cross the seas and strike it rich in the richest country in the world.

He sure looks happy in that photo...

redneckshootist
04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/icl53n.jpg

M. Sage
04-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Still don't understand why he continues to waste oxygen. I always thought pirates were supposed to be killed on sight.

lioneaglegriffin
04-26-2009, 9:22 AM
Still don't understand why he continues to waste oxygen. I always thought pirates were supposed to be killed on sight.

Jack sparrow had a right to a ritualisticly long hanging preceding. :p

jamesob
04-26-2009, 9:37 AM
lets give the guy a new home and a new toyota to drive along with government aid for the rest of his life.

yallknowho
04-26-2009, 3:56 PM
It's a tragedy that people have to resort to piracy to support themselves. I'm not defending the pirates here, but understand that hundreds of millions of dollars worth of fish are taken from Somali waters through illegal, unlicensed and unregulated fishing with no taxes paid to the Somali people. Since it's unregulated these illegal fishermen use illegal fishing methods that rob the Somali fishermen of fish and destroy the ecosystem.

In addition to the illegal fishing going on people dump tons of toxic and nuclear waste in these waters too. Somalia doesn't have a coast guard so they resort to piracy to defend their waters.

M. Sage
04-26-2009, 4:29 PM
Somalia doesn't have a coast guard so they resort to piracy to defend their waters.

Lol, I hope that post is a joke (try a smiley). They're not hijacking fishing boats, and they're not defending their waters. They're robbing people at gunpoint. Quite different.

American_pride
04-26-2009, 4:42 PM
It's a tragedy that people have to resort to piracy to support themselves. I'm not defending the pirates here, but understand that hundreds of millions of dollars worth of fish are taken from Somali waters through illegal, unlicensed and unregulated fishing with no taxes paid to the Somali people. Since it's unregulated these illegal fishermen use illegal fishing methods that rob the Somali fishermen of fish and destroy the ecosystem.

In addition to the illegal fishing going on people dump tons of toxic and nuclear waste in these waters too. Somalia doesn't have a coast guard so they resort to piracy to defend their waters.

LMFAO :rofl2::rofl2: WHATEVER!!!!

Hey Somalia! Take care of your crap before the USN/USMC has to!

shark92651
04-26-2009, 5:31 PM

Got a source for this toxic and nuclear waste dumping story? And who in their right minds would fish in Somali waters? Isn't that an invitation to be ransom-fodder? How does that kool-aid taste?

lioneaglegriffin
04-26-2009, 5:41 PM
Got a source for this toxic and nuclear waste dumping story? And who in their right minds would fish in Somali waters? Isn't that an invitation to be ransom-fodder? How does that kool-aid taste?

like freshly squeezed cyanide.

Liberty1
04-26-2009, 6:45 PM
Muse was born on an old sack on the floor of a thatched-roof house in Bur Yaqab, a village in central Somalia.

:chris:

All he is doing is what he leaned from American democracy: if you can't earn it take it from others by force.

Long live the Republic.

HowardW56
04-26-2009, 6:47 PM

I guess Bank Robbers are justified, as they have no money...

Pickpockets are ok too, they don't have wallets...

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt321/HowardW56/bsflag.gif

:confused: :eek: :confused:

ybz
04-26-2009, 9:10 PM
illegal fishermen use illegal fishing methods that rob the Somali fishermen of fish and destroy the ecosystem.
In addition to the illegal fishing going on people dump tons of toxic and nuclear waste in these waters too.

fishing in nuclear contaminated water... the outrage over a possible mercury will look like an infomercial... and who would buy toxic fish from the somalis?

popndrop
04-26-2009, 10:52 PM
he'll probably get a book deal when he gets out in 3-4 years after we've forgotten all about his crimes. then he'll make more money than had they just paid the damn ransom or shot his a**. Now it will cost the already distressed american taxpayer millions to try him, and jail him. We should have just set him adrift in that life boat in the middle of the ocean with a bottle of water and a snickers - the $2.00 solution.