PDA

View Full Version : Men piss me the eff off sometimes

Maddog5150
04-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.

nick
04-25-2009, 12:19 AM
The next time they come, can you, please, ask them how they managed to make their girlfriend/wife/etc. shoot .22? :)

BONECUTTER
04-25-2009, 5:52 AM
My first responses is "Well my mom is 55 and carries a P99 in .40."

Then I try to gauge how much they want to shoot/train with it. I push everyone who wants it "just in case" and has no interest on shooting toward revolvers for the simplicity. The lack of safeties, magazines, cocking, ect... all are beneficial in an emergency when you have not trained recently. I usually recommend 357 but tell them to load it with 38+p for the 357 frame will help with the recoil it is and it will still allow the (tool) they brought with them to fire off some magnum and still feel like the tough guy he is. Last thing I want is to sell someone a gun they won't figure out in a panic and won't go bang when they need it to.

Those who are interested in shooting I always send to local range and tell them to try out as many handguns as they can in....38...9...40....45. I tell them to find one that feels good in the hand, one that does scare them when it goes bang, and one they get on paper the best with. Then I tell them to please come back and buy it from me. :thumbsup:

If any ladies have anything else I should add please let me know.

movie zombie
04-25-2009, 12:41 PM
ticks me off when guys here at calguns post that they want the female in their life to have a gun and then it really seems what they're wanting is an excuse to buy the gun they really want. they'll ask another man's opinion rather than asking a woman. and they don't take the woman in question to a range to fire the guns herself and get her involved in the process.

also, i didn't buy at a bay area shop recently because while i get decent service when i go in by myself, the last time my hubby went with me and while the gun was my idea and for me [i'd been in to see it before], all the eye contact and conversation was directed to hubby. and i was a repeat customer having bought two used guns there prior to my hubby ever stepping into the place.

thanks for your post! guys say they want women involved in the "sport" and 2nd amendment issues but their actions speak louder.

mz

Darklyte27
04-25-2009, 12:45 PM
"i want a 22 for the wife"

Oh yea? you afraid she will out shoot you?

let him turn red..

halifax
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Maybe they figure they'd have a better chance of surviving a shot from a .22 :p

Damn. Darklyte beat me to it.

sorensen440
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
My gf would kick me if I suggested a 22 for self defense
She prefers the feel of a full size 45 acp

WallyGeorge
04-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Maybe the customer is pissed that you aren't listening to what they want and subjecting them to an opinion/agenda? (Trying to be helpful here...)

n2k
04-25-2009, 1:01 PM

I think Darklyte was saying the wife will out shoot the man,

your stating the wife will shoot the man.

If Scenario 2 is more likely, don't get her one.....:p

Seesm
04-25-2009, 1:37 PM
I am building my lady a Ar pistol in 5.56 as we speak to protect her at home.... So I am with you.

Saigon1965
04-25-2009, 1:40 PM
Just get me the ladies' phone numbers is all I ask -

ke6guj
04-25-2009, 1:42 PM
Maybe the customer is pissed that you aren't listening to what they want and subjecting them to an opinion/agenda? (Trying to be helpful here...)

There is nothing wrong with suggesting an alternate and trying to explain it.. Now, if you keep harping on it after they have heard your suggestion and decined it, then they may be justified in being upset.

triggerhappy
04-25-2009, 1:45 PM
Why is it douchebags always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.

You're obviously trying to steal their women... Be a team player. Even if she's an IPSC champ, sell her the .22, it's the proper thing.

Maddog5150
04-25-2009, 1:59 PM
LOL. Your right. Im trying to steal these women who are old enough to be my mother. No offense but I'm not as old as I feel :P
I always ask what they are using the firearm for. If its just target shooting I butt out.
More often than not its to protect the home. My mother is almost sixty and uses a 357.
lol. I even brought up the mock trial of the guy from back east who actually shot someone with a .22 and it bouncing off his head :p

nick
04-25-2009, 1:59 PM
Just a thought. Has any one of you ever considered that it's a good idea for a new shooter to start with a .22?

My girlfriend and I got our first two handguns (at her insistence, actually, she wanted to learn how to shoot) a year ago; a Glock 35 and a Taurus Tracker 627. The idea was that we'd also get a .22 conversion kit for Glock 35 that she'll start learning on, but to make the long story short we only got our first .22 some months later. In the meantime she ended up initially not liking the Taurus (that's changed though) and loving the G35. However, she's acquired a lot of bad habits as a result of starting off with a bigger round. It took a .22 handgun (which she doesn't like and calls a firecracker. I had to almost force her to use it to correct her bad habits (almost, for you don't force a Scandinavian woman with a gun in her hands if long-term survival is your goal)), a misfire in one of our 9mm, and a lot of work for her to get rid of those habits. The habits that could've been avoided if she started off with a .22.

Maddog5150
04-25-2009, 2:06 PM
Ive taught many many people to shoot for the first time with a 9. I understand that a 22 will be good to start and learn off of but why does that even have to be genderspecific? Guys thinks its ok to hand thier buddies a 45 off the bat. We are fifty years beyond that. Women can do all sorts of things. Also, he wanted to get her something for HOME DEFENSE.

nick
04-25-2009, 2:09 PM
Yes, I saw that in your original post, and I had no problem with bashing the people who do that. It was just funnyhow many people here jumped on the bashing bandwagon without even a shred of doubt.

That being said, I still think that sing .22 for learning or teaching how to shoot is the best way to go. It helps people avoid many mistakes, and less money is wasted in the process.

nick
04-25-2009, 2:12 PM
As for self defense, if it was good enough for a Green beret, it's good enough for you! :p

Heck, they've been making .22 handguns for self-defense for decades. Did our heads get thicker, or what? :p

mvpatriot
04-25-2009, 2:19 PM
My wife shoots 22lr, 9mm, 45acp, 223, 7.62x39 and shotguns all with no problems.
IMO 9mm is the smallest handgun cartridge to even be considered for home defense.
Teach then to shoot a 20g shotgun, perfect for home w/slugs.

coq
04-25-2009, 2:24 PM
We're guys. We're jerks. Period.

gmcal
04-25-2009, 2:29 PM
When it was time to get my wife her pistol she decided she wanted me to buy it (she didn't want to go through the hassle of the HSC to buy just 1 gun). I did most of the talking because I saw the guy behind the counter was trying to push a M&P 9 compact on her. I think a full size is best if not being used for CC, a little easier handle while shooting and easier to rack the slide. He stated that most women like small pistols because they are less intimidating, and at first my wife agreed with that logic. I then explained to her how smaller handguns don't handle as well and asked her to try a full size. My wife liked the way it felt and trusted me on the handling issue. Since my wife had almost no shooting experience, I took the gun first to verify it was unloaded then handed it to her. Over a year later and she is still happy with it. Now, the decision about which to get was hers, I prefer Glocks to M&P's, but that doesn't mean that she couldn't use my help or that I think she isn't a capable person. If I did, I wouldn't have encouraged her to buy a gun in the first place.

There are some things my wife trusts me to handle, ie which vehicle/appliance/electronics to pick and I trust her with what investments to make and what schools our kids should go to. When we go to talk to our advisor she does most of the talking.

dwa
04-25-2009, 2:43 PM
my concern with women especially older ones is ability to work the slide.

Shane916
04-25-2009, 4:59 PM
I am building my lady a Ar pistol in 5.56 as we speak to protect her at home.... So I am with you.

Very kind of you, but the 5.56 is horrible round for home defense.

Furthermore, the whole bullet button idea also kills the capability of quickly reloading/removing the mag in a stressful situation.

liketoshoot
04-25-2009, 9:02 PM

That would be my wife and daughter, neither one of them feel they can work the slide although they are strong enough to. So to keep the peace I got my daughter a revolver and my wife uses one of mine. The wife said I own enough revolvers for her to choose from and my daughter wanted her own and chose the new Ruger .327 magnum.
Anyway I look at it as long as they are comfortable with it and will use it, it works for me.

Seesm
04-25-2009, 9:26 PM
Very kind of you, but the 5.56 is horrible round for home defense.

Furthermore, the whole bullet button idea also kills the capability of quickly reloading/removing the mag in a stressful situation.

Nah frangible rds and she can outshoot me and most others so I think she is good to go unless 11 people come into the house. :)

Midian
04-25-2009, 9:28 PM
My wife said the other day

"Really like that Springfield 1911."

Good girl.

My friend's AR-15 scared the hell out of her, however.

Steyrlp10
04-25-2009, 10:38 PM
It's refreshing to always read these fun-filled posts from you gents. I appreciate it when the sales people talk to me directly when I'm trying my best not to drool over a gun I see under the glass instead of frantically searching for the man I'm with to talk to him instead.

I have nothing against .22s, but like most of the women on here, I also own a few CF pistols because I want to get better at shooting 3-gun matches.

As for home defense, I usually opt for a fork... it's that "up close and personal" that gets me going!

vwynn
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
how about a ... .223 heh.

But yea regarding the husband answering for the wife.. or bf gf.. you shoulda been like.. "Sir, i was asking HER the question not you."

itll make him shutup and her smile =p

TheBundo
04-26-2009, 12:34 AM
A .22 worked pretty good on Robert Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, James Brady, etc.

Maddog5150
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
It's refreshing to always read these fun-filled posts from you gents. I appreciate it when the sales people talk to me directly when I'm trying my best not to drool over a gun I see under the glass instead of frantically searching for the man I'm with to talk to him instead.

I have nothing against .22s, but like most of the women on here, I also own a few CF pistols because I want to get better at shooting 3-gun matches.

As for home defense, I usually opt for a fork... it's that "up close and personal" that gets me going!

... are you single? Marry me!!

how about a ... .223 heh.

But yea regarding the husband answering for the wife.. or bf gf.. you shoulda been like.. "Sir, i was asking HER the question not you."

itll make him shutup and her smile =p

Still gotta be civil though and that would piss them off

A .22 worked pretty good on Robert Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, James Brady, etc.

Didnt STOP regan though ;) Luckily

radioburning
04-26-2009, 4:16 PM
I figure the best thing to do is let her find out for herself what will work for her. I took her to a range with rentals and told her to pick out whichever guns seemed interesting to her. She didn't like the ones she picked out, but fell in love with the Ruger SP101, after trying it on a whim.

M. Sage
04-26-2009, 4:36 PM
I usually pick stuff I'm somewhat familiar with, and go from there.

My wife managed 25 rounds of .357 magnum from a 3" SP101 in one sitting, so the girls aren't as frail as a lot of guys think they are.

Our hands were killing us after that... and I'm toughened a lot from being a mechanic.

Seed
04-26-2009, 5:55 PM
I would love to find a woman who knows how to handle a gun. Especially something bigger than a 22! You go ladies. Yes I'm single. :)

Travis8128
04-26-2009, 6:14 PM
i think all women should have side by side 12 guages for HD. I wouldnt piss her off;)

sactoshooter
04-26-2009, 8:16 PM
I would probably be the guy who asks for a .22 for the wife. I have several pistols in several different calibers and she likes shooting the .22 ..... She likes shooting but to be honest she doesnt like the recoil or sound that my other handguns produce. She knows how to use them all but she prefers to shoot a .22 when we go to the range. I sure hope in an home invasion situation she doesn't reach for the .22

rbetts
04-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Not to stir the pot here, but I would match my model 317 S & W Kit Gun with 8 shots in the revolver using an Aguila Super Sniper .60 grain .22lr round against any handgun out there. This round from this gun penetrate flesh farther and with MORE damage than the big boys. In the hands of my beloved, it's manageable not heavy and has every bit of stopping power she needs.

I carry this little firecracker in the shop and will get off all rounds before you get your gun out of the holster. Just one mans informed but humble opinion.

Futurecollector
04-27-2009, 1:41 AM
Haha, I started my 5 foot 3 inch 105 pound freind girl on a Mossy 500 with a 3 inch buck shot, she now knows she can shoot anything lol, my 60 year old mother wont shot anything but a G-21, I HATE WOMEN WHO SHOOT SIG 9MM!!!! I dont get it, everytime I see a women with a Sig 9MM shes putting the damn bullets in the same damn hole I just dont get it lol,

Nessal
04-27-2009, 1:01 PM
My GF wants an AR pistol. Go figure.

Army GI
04-27-2009, 1:17 PM

LOL, good one:thumbsup:

...wtf am I doing in the ladies forum:eek:

moreno
04-27-2009, 1:39 PM

Both my Mother in law and my wife could not pull the slide back on my new XD40 . I have video of my wife shooting my .40 and its not pretty lol

Nemo
04-27-2009, 2:24 PM
Racking the slide is usually a matter of training, rather than strength (check out Kathy Jackson's tutorial on corneredcat.com).

I've only met one woman, out of the dozens I've taught to rack the slides on semiautos, who wasn't able to rack the slide--and she was 70 and had arthritis in her hands. She shoots .38 +Ps out of her S&W 19-4 instead.

Vtec44
04-27-2009, 3:41 PM
My wife prefers .223 over 7.62x39 because it's easier with follow up shots. She has no problem racking the slide on my XD9 with her her 120lbs frame :D

stormy_clothing
04-27-2009, 5:07 PM
To the OP, quit yer *****ing!!! Communication is the ability to convey a message. Some people would rather say they are looking for a girl gun than try to explain why they want a 22 pistol for there wife ect.

It's actually people like you that get offended by these statements that give power to them.

dexter9659
04-27-2009, 5:44 PM
Its funny, my ex would ONLY shoot my USPc 45, and nothing else. She did have a P22... but I always suspected it was for comic relief as I cannot ever recall her shooting it.

MontClaire
04-27-2009, 5:58 PM
My wife gets a .40 and none of that kids stuff.

Maddog5150
04-27-2009, 6:09 PM
To the OP, quit yer *****ing!!! Communication is the ability to convey a message. Some people would rather say they are looking for a girl gun than try to explain why they want a 22 pistol for there wife ect.

So then whats with the women next to them that they are handing the firearm to and babying them as they hold it? Not for them? If someone wants a 22 for target practice whats wrong with that. if they want it for home defense simply because she is a woman, thats just belittling thier wives/gf

glock_this
04-27-2009, 6:55 PM
wow.. I had a post edited because I said "chick".... but you get to say "douchebags".. interesting

masameet
04-27-2009, 7:46 PM
So then whats with the women next to them that they are handing the firearm to and babying them as they hold it? Not for them? If someone wants a 22 for target practice whats wrong with that. if they want it for home defense simply because she is a woman, thats just belittling thier wives/gf

Naw. A .22 LR pistol is just a "gateway" handgun. After the wifey/GF learns how to shoot the .22, she'll ask for a bigger handgun. Women are logical creatures after all, man.

"But you've got a bigger semi-automatic, honey!" she'll remind you. "Now it's my turn. Let's see, I think I want a .45. No, maybe a 9 mm. Oh, wait a minute. Maybe a .40! Hmmm ... Those .38 revolvers are kinda nice too ... Oh, heck, honey. I think we should let me get all four!"

lol

Can't you just imagine hearing that after a few months of her shooting at the range and demonstrating she's better at hitting the target than you?

Maddog5150
04-27-2009, 10:34 PM
wow.. I had a post edited because I said "chick".... but you get to say "douchebags".. interesting

I changed it for you. I use that word too much and most of the time I'm not trying to be offensive as I use it a LOT to replace nouns. Kind of like Marlarks from southpark :D

CHS
04-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Guys bring their wives/GF's/etc into the store all the time to buy guns for themselves. They ask all the questions while the wife/gf/etc just sorta stands behind them looking bored.

When they finally decide on something and I start getting them filling out the 4473, one of the things I *ALWAYS* tell/ask them is "And you're taking her out to shoot it FIRST, right?".

The wife/gf always gets the biggest grin on her face while the man sheepishly and embarrassingly answers "oh yeah, yeah.."

madmike
04-28-2009, 2:36 PM
I would like to apologize for being a man.

That being said, I felt that a .22 was the ideal caliber for my wife to learn to shoot with. She has no real interest in shooting, but I want here to have a basic understanding of safety, and a little marks(wo)manship because there are guns in the house, and always will be. I hope that after some practise she will start to have some fun and ask to try the bigger stuff.

Once again, I am deeply sorry for being a man.;)

-madmike.

Maddog5150
04-28-2009, 3:09 PM
lol. you dont understand what I'm saying though. Theres nothing wrong with 22s. The issue lies in the fact that, "my woman needs something to protect herself and the kids. she's a woman (really? did you have to point that out?) so she needs something small for her fragile little tiny hands to handle.(ok that last part was an exageration) Give her a 22. Honey, if you ever have to use it, aim for the crotch and you will shoot the bad guy in the chest. ok?"
Believe it or not, I hear that ALL the time. I believe we are 50 years past that thinking. Women in general can do a lot and why should they have to accept that something physically smaller is better for them?
Example. Our number one opposition in the war for our gun rights are soccar moms. The media tells them that our firearms come to life in the middle of the night and go on a killing and raping spree. The media also tells them that our firearms are children seekers. A lot of these women from an early age are taught that guns are for men. That they dont need to touch them as men are supposed to use them for war or hunt and that women are supposed to gather and cook so a lot of women just dont trust firearms to begin with. We need to educate women and show them that its not just a mans sport. Its an everybodies sport and game and that just because they may physically be smaller, they dont need an NAA mini revolver to protect her children.
Obviously most of this doesnt apply to the women on this board and everyone here on a firearms board more than likely is able to educate thier female counterparts just fine but as with any political battle, ignorance from within is our number one undoing.
I like 22s. I like duty caliber handguns also. I LOVE women. I hate doing one on one instruction with women who shoot for the first time because they end up shooting my 1911 better than me :(

glock_this
04-28-2009, 3:12 PM
I changed it for you. I use that word too much and most of the time I'm not trying to be offensive as I use it a LOT to replace nouns. Kind of like Marlarks from southpark :D

funny thing is, I couldn't care less if you use it.. no offense to me. I use 'chick' and never trying to be offensive.. just a word to me no different than 'lady'.. but the mods thought otherwise enough to change it :)

Steyrlp10
04-28-2009, 6:31 PM
i think all women should have side by side 12 guages for HD. I wouldnt piss her off;)

GMTA... that was the next thing on my shopping list after my latest ammo order comes in. I shoot pistol matches extensively, but I never had a chance to "meatloaf" a target.

As soon as I finish my incarceration as a juror, I'm going to sign up for a shotgun class. If Elmer Fudd can do it, I supppose I have a chance...

movie zombie
04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
shotgun is on my list of next to buy, also.

mz

MasterYong
04-29-2009, 4:27 PM
Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.

If it makes you feel any better, when I realized that my GF only owned a .22LR Single-shot marlin (the really short kiddie one with the wood stock) and a .22LR Beretta Bobcat, I bought her an AR-15 and a S&W Model 340 in .357 Mag..........

/There's no way in hell I'm letting my backup carry a .22LR unless it's the ankle gun that gets used after the primary and secondary and gone!

movie zombie
04-29-2009, 6:58 PM
If it makes you feel any better, when I realized that my GF only owned a .22LR Single-shot marlin (the really short kiddie one with the wood stock) and a .22LR Beretta Bobcat, I bought her an AR-15 and a S&W Model 340 in .357 Mag..........

/There's no way in hell I'm letting my backup carry a .22LR unless it's the ankle gun that gets used after the primary and secondary and gone!

love it!

mz

Nemo
04-30-2009, 7:12 PM
I accompanied my gf to DROS a Mossberg 500 combo just the other night. .22s are great, but they're recreational more than they are defensical. ;)

movie zombie
04-30-2009, 8:04 PM
defensical?! LOVE IT!

mz

Tillers_Rule
04-30-2009, 9:12 PM
I would think chances are, if a guy is going to the gun store with his girlfriend/wife or whatever and picking something like a .22 out, then that girl probably isn't in law enforcement or military.

I've taken a girl friend out shooting and by far her favorite gun to shoot was my 1911, though she wasn't able to load the magazines or pull the slide back. I suggested she stick with the revolvers for that reason. At first she was kind of taken back but then after the range time she understood.

Dragonfly
04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Okay, I've got to add my two cents in too....

First, I'll forgive any man for being a man - you just can't help it and I totally understand...;)

As for the guy(s) wanting to get a 22 for his gf/wife/mother because she is a woman for protection and the rest of the story. Well, I'm shaking my head for few reasons - First is that I've been treated like that woman by my ex-husband and I'm the one who got him into shooting. I talked him into getting a 9mm Taurus for home protection. Second is I'm the woman who will walk into a store and be the one eying a pretty piece of work and the guy I'm with is the one who is being talked to about the gun I want. Or not taken seriously when I don't have a guy with me. And third, I've been the woman who had salesmen try and talk me into getting a 22 because I'm a woman. (Yes, I love the look that comes across their face when I tell them what I already have.)

Personally - 22s are great for practices and learning how to shoot. I've had both my older boys taught to shoot on a 22. But (personally) for home protection I prefer either a 12 gauge (love the sound) and/or a 9mm... I like something that is going to give a big punch from a distance. I'll avoid the hand to hand combat if possible - I like keeping my knives clean of human blood.
I have practiced with 22s also but my issues (nasty low left flinch) doesn't show up when I'm shooting a 22.

As a woman, thank you to whom ever said to try and hold the conversation with the woman who the gun is for. It makes us feel more respected and part of the process. If the guy is going to be the type who has to talk for her, my suggestion would be to say something to the effect of "If you are buying her a gun then let's make sure she is comfortable with it and can I interest you in this (point to something super cool) for you too." What better then to politely show respect for the woman and possibly getting more money out of the jerk.

Steyrlp10
05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Ditto. On the topic of ex-husbands, it figures. Thank goodness we have the ability to upgrade in that area -- just like guns!

movie zombie
05-01-2009, 4:43 PM
Ditto. On the topic of ex-husbands, ....... Thank goodness we have the ability to upgrade in that area -- just like guns!

amen!

mz

Hunter158
05-04-2009, 8:35 AM
Ditto. On the topic of ex-husbands, it figures. Thank goodness we have the ability to upgrade in that area -- just like guns!

Goes both ways... :eek: My ex-wife hated guns and motorcycles... I have both, and upgraded tremendously with wife.2 She not only has her own guns, but also has two motorcycles. :thumbsup:

This is my first post in this area since I am not female. I've stayed away since I thought it was reserved. This topic just caught my attention. Anyway, back on topic.

The reason most "guys" feel they have to talk for the woman, etc goes back to providing for and protecting their family. (right or wrong, or way out of sync with current situations) Just the way it is. They may also feel that the idiot guy behind the counter will talk over her head (in some cases), just to show what a ***** he is. (gotta admit that happens too) :confused:

I used to teach the Motorcycle Safety Program classes. I can't count the number of times couples came to class and I had to separate them. Usually pulling each aside to have "the talk". With him;"shut the F up... she has to go home with you and if you are telling her what to do while I'm telling her something different, it's going to get us both pissed off at you!!! She doesn't have to go home with me, let me be the bad guy and tell her her mistakes, and you be the good guy and give her praise for doing well, and listen when she vents about the strict teacher" With her;"I need you to listen to me... I'm the one that will be administering the test, and will pass or fail you. I will not tell you that he is right or wrong, I don't know, or have the time in class to work that out. I can tell you that in most cases, long time riders come here and learn new things. Also, if he just backs off a bit, you will have a happier home life in the end." It didn't help that these classes were taught on Honda 250 Rebels and Nighthawks. Our class even had to tell John Elway to go sit down!!! Yes, THAT John Elway. :cool2:

All of that being said... I use the step method. I start EVERY new shooter with a .22. A Ruger 22/45 or Mark II. When they realize they don't need to be afraid of the bang, they can learn the basics of sight picture, etc. Then move up to a 9mm. If they do OK, and want to move up, I go to a .45. Each step is only if they want to. Just like with motorcycles, there is no reason to scare someone on purpose.

I don't understand the mentality of giving someone a 2" air-lite with 357 magnum rounds loaded for their first shots any more than putting a new rider on the back of a 185 horsepower GSXR1000 as their first ride, or for that matter put them on the back and do 150+ popping wheelies just to scare them. :mad:

I sometimes help host mixers/social events at the local indoor range. (focused on introducing women to shooting) For the guy that knows everything and just won't shut up... I'm happy to offer him a Garand, M1a or 12ga loaded with slugs. With fair warning of course. :43:

MrSigmaDOT40
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM

No way i would want my girl using a .22 for protection, thats just silly. what if she has to protect me from some crazed burglar, or drive-way car jacker. Man i sure would feel good knowing my girls coming out blazing with the .22 :rolleyes:

movie zombie
05-04-2009, 5:06 PM
I don't understand the mentality of giving someone a 2" air-lite with 357 magnum rounds loaded for their first shots ......

agreed: in fact, having done that i almost didn't pick up a gun again. however, i was renting guns and didn't know any better at the time......but i learned fast. i wouldn't own one even now with all the .357's i own and now shooting a .45acp......

mz

CHS
05-04-2009, 5:43 PM
agreed: in fact, having done that i almost didn't pick up a gun again. however, i was renting guns and didn't know any better at the time......but i learned fast. i wouldn't own one even now with all the .357's i own and now shooting a .45acp......

mz

I went out shooting with my buddy on the night he picked up his S&W Airlight/Airweight .357 snubby. It was the model with the titanium cylinder, the extra-lightweight one.

It was NOT FUN to shoot. It was like having a concussion grenade going off in my hand every single time. Even .38 specials were not fun.

I even enjoy shooting big crazy dangerous stuff. But this is one gun that I just don't ever want to shoot again or ever own.

DeepSeaDouble
05-04-2009, 5:49 PM
I actually think guns like this can cause nerve damage in hands if shot extensively with hot ammo, seriously.

compsoftstation
05-07-2009, 12:09 AM
I took my lady friend, former ex to ta local gun shop. I recommended the XD .40 Compact and the salesman handed her a .22 instead. :shrug:

kalguns
05-07-2009, 7:53 AM
My 125lbs wife loves her 10mm Dan Wesson bobtail.

Purdue
05-07-2009, 9:16 AM
HAHA! I can relate to all of this. I'm cracking up reading it. First time my BF and I went to the local gun store, they only spoke to him. He plainly told them "it's her gun - ask her". Then they showed me some "dainty" guns without a lot of kick and that "wouldn't hurt me". When I tell them I can shoot a 454 just fine their eyes get big and they dont know how to respond. LMAO! I actually find it funny but I feel sorry for the women that let their "significant others" make all of their handgun decisions for them and tell them what they should be shooting. IMHO, a handgun is a very personal choice. My oppinion to new women shooters: keep trying different guns (even if you just pick it up for feel and don't even shoot it at first) to see what feels the most natural and comfortable in your hands. Then shoot the ones that you like most and make your decision from there. I think that if more gun shops had knowledgeable female employees, their gun sales would probably go up if a female felt she could go in a store and feel comfortable.

movie zombie
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I took my lady friend, former ex to ta local gun shop. I recommended the XD .40 Compact and the salesman handed her a .22 instead. :shrug:

at least you tried!

mz

Musclemom
05-07-2009, 4:59 PM
I do have to say that there is one gun shop I refuse to deal with because I can't get the time of day even if I'm the only one in the store. I actually bought a gun from them a long time ago and dealt with a salesperson who is no longer there. The last time I was there I had to really be pretty aggressive to get any help at all, and even then they weren't interested in talking with me at all. The treated me about like a homeless guy might get treated when he asks to test drive a brand new BMW. Then in comes two guys and the staff immediately turn all attention to them to them. I walked out and will never go back.

The shop I currently deal with I was unsure of at first since my first trip there was with my husband. At first they just talked with him, but once they realized I knew what I was talking about too, they warmed right up. I actually get better service when I'm there alone. Some there still have the tendency to direct their attention to hubby when we are together. Maybe it's that I already know what I'm looking for, and hubby has to ask a lot of questions. :p The first time we were there, we were looking at two handguns and mentioned we'd get them both. The guy says "you can only buy one every 30 days." I responded "yup, per person. I'm buying one, he's buying the other."

compsoftstation
05-08-2009, 1:08 AM
I have to admit us men are retarded sometimes and we need our women to warm us up!

Maddog5150
05-09-2009, 1:48 PM
I have to admit us men are retarded sometimes and we need our women to warm us up!

Totally :D
I enjoy women in the sport. Especially cute ones since (especially here in cali) women tend to think your a serial killer or a wierdo when they find out your into guns :p

Musclemom
05-09-2009, 7:17 PM
women tend to think your a serial killer or a wierdo when they find out your into guns :p

You're not?!?! :confused:

It's OK though. I can relate. Men who don't have any guns pee a little when they find out how many I own. :rofl2:

Angie
05-09-2009, 7:40 PM

It's OK though. I can relate. Men who don't have any guns pee a little when they find out how many I own. :rofl2:

Even better is when you proceed to school them on gun related info.

4 Brigada
05-09-2009, 8:33 PM
It's OK though. I can relate. Men who don't have any guns pee a little when they find out how many I own.

When I was dating my ex wife, she mentioned that she enjoyed shooting so we had something in common. We agreed to go to a local indoor range (handguns only), I took my only handgun, a HP 9mm she brought a S&W model 29 .44 magnum 6 inch barrel. I did fell inadequate for about three minutes :rofl:

added later

I forgot to add the she probably is still a better shot than I am both handgun and long guns.

highpowermatch
05-10-2009, 8:25 AM
I went to front sight firearms training institute and this couple was there. At the end we get to practice are new skills on a steel target competition. She had a .380 per her husband’s advice. She was a great shot and hit the targets very quickly but the .380 would not knock them down so she lost. If she would have had at least a 9mm she would have gone the distance with her quick acquisition and accuracy. Boy the look she gave her husband! I bet his ride home to California was rough! Men, do not underestimate the ladies. Most are naturally very good shots. Unless they specifically want a very small caliber don’t purposely steer them in that direction.

Happy Mothers Day to all the Calguns Moms! :thumbsup:

davidsfreepony
05-22-2009, 9:46 PM
When I need to kill a snake or a gopher I always get my wife, she is a much better shot!

TheBundo
05-23-2009, 2:04 AM
My wife likes to shoot everything up to the 454 Casull I used to have. And she really likes shooting at the BLM land on a hot sunny day, because she can take her top off and get a tan. Unfortunately, she won't let me take videos of it, and if there are women around with their men, she won't because the women get catty

Redlinegts
05-23-2009, 2:21 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=183202

I built my lady that rifle a few weeks ago :) I believe in equal rights, and as long as a woman knows how to handle herself around a firearm, then I don't think we should be so discriminating. However, the women who don't, I would work on them a little longer ;)

Shoot-it
05-23-2009, 10:11 AM
The job behind the counter is to sell who cares what gos on on the other side, 99 percent of the time women have not clue about firearms.

Dr. Peter Venkman
05-23-2009, 11:15 AM
The job behind the counter is to sell who cares what gos on on the other side, 99 percent of the time women have not clue about firearms.

Such bravado. :rolleyes:

pTa
05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
3dit a smilie onto that.

Youd better be joking.

CHS
05-25-2009, 4:13 PM

I have a couple of female customers that would loooooove to have a long "chat" with you :)

Meplat
05-25-2009, 10:34 PM

Jeff Cooper said that any woman could handle the mod 1911 .45 automatic. And said if she could not, "get her a .22 and teach her to shoot for the eyes." Very Few handguns have ever actually hurt me. I'm a 280lb man but I doubt there are many guns the average woman can't use effectively. The key is to start small and work up, getting her used to it. I think any woman can master a .357 or .45 auto. Both are "enough gun" for men AND women.

Meplat
05-25-2009, 10:42 PM
thanks for your post! guys say they want women involved in the "sport" and 2nd amendment issues but their actions speak louder.

mz

Make no mistake you girls saved our *** on handgun control.

Thank you.

Meplat
05-25-2009, 10:45 PM

I always figured if my wife shot me, I probably needed shooting.

And I've been divorced 20 years.

CLUTCH
05-26-2009, 2:54 PM
ticks me off when guys here at calguns post that they want the female in their life to have a gun and then it really seems what they're wanting is an excuse to buy the gun they really want. they'll ask another man's opinion rather than asking a woman. and they don't take the woman in question to a range to fire the guns herself and get her involved in the process.

also, i didn't buy at a bay area shop recently because while i get decent service when i go in by myself, the last time my hubby went with me and while the gun was my idea and for me [i'd been in to see it before], all the eye contact and conversation was directed to hubby. and i was a repeat customer having bought two used guns there prior to my hubby ever stepping into the place.

mz

there could be a somewhat reasonable answer for that. when im at work and i see a couple i "usualy" look or talk to the guy cuss i have had bad experiences in the past with guys getting jealous just cuss im talking and making eye contact with there "girl" and not directly to them.. i only do that cuss id rather avoid any "possible" confrontation. has nothing to do with the with the fact that she is a woman only that some men tend to get jealous even if they dont say anything or show it. hope that makes u feel a little better.

Meplat
05-30-2009, 1:37 AM
I think Darklyte was saying the wife will out shoot the man,

your stating the wife will shoot the man.

If Scenario 2 is more likely, don't get her one.....:p

My position has always been that if your wife shoots you, you probably needed shooting. If only for being stupid enough to hitch up with the dingy broad!

Meplat
05-30-2009, 1:58 AM

Man you are so PC it's painful!:rolleyes:

Meplat
05-30-2009, 6:05 PM

I once watched a salesman in our highest end local sporting goods store talk up a pre-war Baby Browning .25auto to a young woman as a great choice for her for self defense. She thought it was “cute” and the man could smell a sale. Her BF kept suggesting maybe she should consider something a little more powerful and expressing misgivings about the reliability of a (at that time) 60 year old automatic that had probably been through a war. You could tell that she was listening more to the salesman because he was the “expert” and was telling her what she wanted to hear.

Most gun store clerks are honest and ethical, but I had known this guy for years and knew HE knew better. I lost all respect for him. It’s not always the BF that is blowing smoke up your skirt ladies. But I expect most on here can hold their own regardless.
:thumbsup:

serkerone
05-30-2009, 9:06 PM
i know this lady that shoots a .375 H&H and goes on those safari hunting adventures in africa. shes killed elephants, buffalo and what not with that thing

compsoftstation
05-30-2009, 9:22 PM

Musclemom, you missy is a keeper!!

mountaindweller
05-30-2009, 9:45 PM
Tell'm girl....it's a common societal steriotype. I think if my girlfrined/wife was interested in a firearm I would go to the range with her and let her decide for herself.

JJ1911
05-30-2009, 10:44 PM
When I first brought my GF shooting, we gave her a .22 ruger to start off with. She didn't have that much fun. Wasn't exciting enough for her.

Next time she used my .45 1911 and loved it. She's a tiny girl and can handle the .45 which she describes as more of a "push". She won't shoot anything smaller than 9mm, and still prefers .45 over other calibers. Stereotypes are baaaaad

CABilly
05-31-2009, 4:19 AM
Not really related, but it's confession time so I'll hide it in here. I really like the look of the Lady Smiths, so I can't wait to have a gf who is into shooting so I can take her to a shop and get one for "her".

I've taken all of my female roommates shooting, and they all liked my Tracker loaded with .38 +p+ the best.

xbimmers
05-31-2009, 10:40 AM
I bought my wife a Smith and Wesson model 65 in .357 with a 3 inch barrel. I gave her .38 +p ammo.

So we went shooting...she shot it and said.....I like your Glock 17 better.....

My wife can shoot or use any of my 25 gun and rifles....

CHS
05-31-2009, 5:39 PM
Next time she used my .45 1911 and loved it. She's a tiny girl and can handle the .45 which she describes as more of a "push". She won't shoot anything smaller than 9mm, and still prefers .45 over other calibers. Stereotypes are baaaaad

I tend to encourage .45's for women and believe that there are some very good reasons to.

On a physiological level, womens wrists are weaker than mens. This is not a stereotype, it's not a sexist thing, it's just a fact of biology. Are there exceptions to every rule? Yes of course. But it's also a very safe generalization.

People assume that because 9mm is smaller than .45, the recoil is going to be less and therefore it's better for women. BZZZ! Not true.

9mm and .45 have almost the same recoil and almost the same downrange energy. There are, however, serious differences in how that energy is felt. The 9mm, with its much higher velocity has a sharper and faster impulse of recoil energy than .45, which is exactly why the .45 feels like more of a push while the 9mm feels like a sharp snap.

That "push" is much better for a weaker wrist, whether it's a woman or a new male shooter who hasn't gotten used to recoil yet.

Again, this is biology and physics, not sexism.

My GF loves her .45 (Kimber Custom II 1911), but now that her wrists have gotten a lot more used to shooting is liking her 9mm (Sig P226) even more.

KAVEMAN762
05-31-2009, 6:12 PM
.22's are the most un-reliable cartridge Ive ever shot. I dont know why they would want their spouses to have one?? Ive shot the pistols, revolvers, rifles and .22 AR conversions and they are sooo unreliable. Out of 10 to 20 rounds the .22lr cartridge did one, or all of the following: Not fire, even if loaded twice(not good to do anyways), failure to feed and failure to eject. Rimfire is pew pew for that reason....

Meplat
05-31-2009, 7:35 PM
.22's are the most un-reliable cartridge Ive ever shot. I dont know why they would want their spouses to have one?? Ive shot the pistols, revolvers, rifles and .22 AR conversions and they are sooo unreliable. Out of 10 to 20 rounds the .22lr cartridge did one, or all of the following: Not fire, even if loaded twice(not good to do anyways), failure to feed and failure to eject. Rimfire is pew pew for that reason....

My results may vary.:thumbsup:

Meplat
05-31-2009, 8:01 PM
In “Ride The Wind” the biography of Cynthia Ann Parker, a white woman who was taken as a child by the Apaches and adopted into the tribe. She relates how if you were a woman you were not barred from the use of, or training in, the art of the bow, the lance, the knife, or the gun. The only difference between you and a man was that it was not EXPECTED of you. You had a choice, where a man did not. A man who was not a hunter and warrior was considered worthless.

Cynthia her self often went on hunts and war parties.

That is my position on the subject. However personally I would rather be with a woman who has my six, and can protect the family if I’m down.

CHS
05-31-2009, 8:10 PM
My wife can shoot or use any of my 25 gun and rifles....

My girlfriend can shoot or use any of my guns and rifles.

And all of HERS too :)

rimfire17
06-05-2009, 9:04 PM
I love a good .22 for fun shooting, but for home defense I have both a .45 ACP and a shotgun.

KAVEMAN762
06-07-2009, 11:33 PM
My results may vary.:thumbsup:

Very true :thumbsup: But in general, the .22LR cartridge is very unreliable compared to most centerfire rounds. They can and will get the job done, but as any sort of defense round, I personally would not trust it (unless your defending yourself against a rabid squirrel), especially for my girlfriend.......I would hate for my women to be in such situation. When she fires the first shot it goes *bang*, then the follow up shot is *click* or vice versa. Of course it wont do that all the time, but I would rather minimize failure....

Smitdogg
06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Does size REALLY matter?
I hear a lot of macho stuff on here from both men & women about big guns. This is just my opinion: I started my 12yo daughter shooting last year. She loves it, as do I. I started her out with a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver. She's 13 now, been shooting less than a year, & has already asked to step up 2 something bigger. So last time we were @ the range I let her shoot my Sig .4o S&W. Not a whole lotta holes in the bull's eye, but she handled it well. So I feel comfortable with getting her a 9mm now. I'm sure she'll do fine with it. But the point I'm tring to make here is there is nothing wrong with starting out small, while you get comfortable with shooting. Sometimes the fear & antisapation of the recoil can take some of the fun, pleasure, & accuracy of getting started. Then there's the cost. We can shoot that .22 for a half day, for just over $10.00! ($1.47 for a box of 50 @ Walmart!) I can only afford to shoot 50 to 100 rnds out my .40 cal these days. Now, she's a kid, & I'm a Dad, so I'm gonna advise, & help make choices for her. Now if she were a grown woman, (Wife, Gf, whatever) and ASKED me to help her get started in shooting, and/or wanted something for HD, I would still start her out with the .22. Again, it's fun, get comfortable first. For HD, or for carry, for the average woman starting out, I'd recommend the 9mm. I think most would agree that this has the min. stopping power, & light recoil. I love my .40, I'm comfortable with it, & I'm confident it will do what I need it to do. At this point in time, I don't need or want a .45. But if in the future, my daughter, or any woman I may be dating, (single & LOVIN it!) wants a .45, we'll rent one @ the range first, & if they like it & want one, we'll go shopping. And if either of them should get better than me, Great! My daughter is already a 'lil Annie Oakley! (But Daddy has a real good eye, & she has her work cut out for her!) I'm just really glad she likes shooting, & this is something we can share quality time in together. We are both very competitive, & have a blast! As to the Ruger .22, I was thinking about trading it for a 9mm, but I think I'll keep it & just buy her one. This is a great gun for startin folks out on, (both men & women) fun & cheap to shoot.
Have fun!
Smit

Smitdogg
06-30-2009, 8:30 AM
As to the rimfire .22 being an "unreliable" round, all I know is I buy the cheap stuff from Walmart, Federal, Remington, Winchester, whatever they have in stock, I would say we put at least 800 rnds through the Ruger, and not ONE dud, (FTF Failure to Fire) (honestly) Now this is a revolver, so Failure to Feed, (FTF) is not an issue, but isn't FTF more a problem with the inner workings, & function of the gun itself, rather than the ammo?

PistolCrockett
07-23-2009, 2:30 PM
"i want a 22 for the wife"

Oh yea? you afraid she will out shoot you?

let him turn red..

Well, not OUT shoot me, but if she shoot ME, I'll have a better chance of surviving that 22rd then a 9mm or .45rd...

sorsi
07-30-2009, 10:30 PM
My ex was the opposite! He kept offering me the 'bigger' guns and kept making me shoot his 1911 and shotgun (for which I smacked him because the shotgun hurt me really bad). I finally settled for a Ruger 10/22 and it was perfect for me. He still made sure I got to shoot all the other guns though. :)

Digital_Boy
07-31-2009, 1:06 AM
My ex was the opposite! He kept offering me the 'bigger' guns and kept making me shoot his 1911 and shotgun (for which I smacked him because the shotgun hurt me really bad). I finally settled for a Ruger 10/22 and it was perfect for me. He still made sure I got to shoot all the other guns though. :)

Everybody has a different comfort level. A lady friend of mine shoots a 10/22, .410 pump shotgun and her husband's USP .40 just fine, but due to wrist injuries from her teen years, the recoil from a .40 is as much as she can tolerate in a handgun, and a 12 gauge is out of the question.

I'm not dissing the 10/22 (I have one, and love it.), but for a situation where I might have to fire shots in self defense, I'd want something that delivers more kinetic energy on impact than a 30 or 40 grain .22LR slug.

----------------
Now playing: Ministry - Scarecrow (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/ministry/track/scarecrow)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

HondaMasterTech
08-03-2009, 1:01 PM
To OP: I encourage my wife to shoot. If she can pull the trigger, she can shoot it.

kemasa
08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
One story that I really liked was a guy who was out shooting and let some others try his 44 magnum. One guy said that the recoil was a bit strong, to which the owner replied that his 12 year old niece did not have a problem with it.

xibunkrlilkidsx
08-06-2009, 9:19 PM
lol. i used to work at lowes, and i would be walking around with one of the girls who worked in doors and windows. and i would always have men coming up and asking my technical questions on installation. i would always just point to her and tell them to ask her she knows more about it than i do.

scarville
08-07-2009, 3:20 PM
My wife hates recoil. I finally got her up to a 22 magnum revolver (S&W Model 17) and I am working on getting her to try my Security Six loaded with 38 spl. Maybe I can convince her to use the PC-9 if I can find a good scope for it. We went to a range to try out some rentals but they only had autoloaders. She will not use a semiauto unless absolutely necessary.

kemasa
08-07-2009, 4:37 PM
One funny thing is that typically women do better at firearms instruction as they listen and don't let their ego get in the way. Often men assume that they know how to shoot and don't need anyone telling them what they are doing wrong.

Vanguard
08-07-2009, 5:21 PM
My wife wants a Sig .380. She shot my dad's and likes it. I call it a wussy gun for two reasons:

1. It ruffles my dad's feathers. :D
2. I WANT her to get somthing bigger! :)

kemasa
08-07-2009, 5:33 PM
And what does she want? or is that not important? :-)

Adehtla
08-08-2009, 5:49 PM
I've taken my girlfriend shooting a few times, and while it's not her thing, she knows how to handle my XD40. She wanted to start small, so I had her shoot a Ruger MkII. After that it was a Browning Highpower in 9mm. Then finally the XD. All of this in a few hours.

No matter who I teach to shoot, or what gun I use, I always focus on the basics. With those, it doesn't matter what you shoot. The gun only has to do with comfort. And if you're going to use it to defend yourself, well, I don't think comfort really enters in to that situation.

If any girl I know wants to buy a gun, I'll gladly go with them. But it's their show, because it will be their gun. If they want a 1911, more power to them. If they choose a .22LR revolver, more power to them. I refuse to make the choice for them though. If the salesperson only looks at me, I'm very quickly going to make it clear that I'm not the one they're selling to.

Blue
08-08-2009, 6:03 PM
My wife and sister both prefer the P22 when shooting. That said, I know if the SHTF they'd be fine with my XD9.

Pistolwhipped
08-17-2009, 3:38 PM
Not all women are as bada** as the Calguns girls. I made the mistake of letting my ex shoot my GSR 1911 and after the first shot she got so scared by the recoil she dropped my beautiful Nitron finish GSR on the concrete barrel first. The slide was chipped and my heart was broken. No thats not the reason she is my ex. She was a ***** thats why.

So what I'm trying to say is some girls are girly and some are... ummm... not girly. My heart still hurts and my GSR is still scarred.:owned:

movie zombie
08-17-2009, 8:20 PM
dude, you're not winning friends by saying that women with guns can't be girly........we even wear lipstick. perhaps a better choice would have been.....well, what would have been a better choice ladies? i think i know what Pistolwhipped is trying to express but i'm not sure that girly is the right word......what say the women of calguns?

what would we call a guy who dropped one of our guns? something printable, that is...........

mz

CHS
08-17-2009, 8:29 PM
what would we call a guy who dropped one of our guns? something printable, that is...........

Male or female.
Old or young.

There is NO excuse for dropping a gun and oh LORD the profanities that would issue forth from my mouth......

Angie
08-17-2009, 8:55 PM
Like MZ said, "girly" may be the wrong choice of words.. ;)

I consider myself girly, wear heels and lipstick and dresses, and I can shoot almost any gun you'd care to test me with.

But I agree, there is no excuse for dropping a gun!! If she was unfamiliar with the recoil, shouldn't someone stand behind her to monitor her? I don't care what the gender of a new shooter is, but if they are unfamiliar with a caliber or new gun, isn't it best to have a spotter?

Though I've gotta ask; why was she shooting that particular gun? Had she already had experience with firearms? Was she asking to shoot that or was she nervous to begin with? I don't have particulars about that story so I don't want to judge prematurely....

Anyway I choose to accept that comment about CG girls being bad*ss as a compliment, but I (and the rest of us lady CGers) are living proof that bad*ss and girly can go hand-in-hand :38: :kiss: :)

wildhawker
08-17-2009, 10:53 PM
dude, you're not winning friends by saying that women with guns can't be girly........we even wear lipstick. perhaps a better choice would have been.....well, what would have been a better choice ladies? i think i know what Pistolwhipped is trying to express but i'm not sure that girly is the right word......what say the women of calguns?

mz

eh, *man*ly? ;)

steelrain82
08-17-2009, 11:04 PM
most girls dont want a big gun. so they want the cute cun with the cute little bullets. and a .22 will stop you just as dead as a .45 and its easier to shoot and train new users with

Pistolwhipped
08-18-2009, 12:41 AM
MZ: Dude, I guess girly was not the best word to use. I cant seem to keep it straight. Some girls hate being called girly and others seem to embrace it. I didn't realize being girly was a good thing. My Bad. How about a not as bada** as calguns girls. What I was trying to get across was that some LADIES just cant handle a bigger gun thats all. I'm sure there are guys out there that cant handle a big gun too. Thats all my story was trying say. :D
Angie: And Hell yeah you should take the BadA** as a compliment how could it be any other way;). It was out first trip to the range together and she was going on and on about shooting with her dad. Once she saw me empty a mag through my once beautiful GSR she had to try it. I helped line her up but she seemed to have a good handle on things so I stood about 2 feet behind her. First shot went off and I saw that thing dancin around in her hands the last thing I was thinkin about was trying to catch my pistol. I was Diving face first in to the shrubbery.
:willy_nilly:

Pistolwhipped
08-18-2009, 12:46 AM
People all the way on the rifle side her one loud F***!! then the cries of an utterly broken man sitting on the ground cradling his baby.

Male or female.
Old or young.

There is NO excuse for dropping a gun and oh LORD the profanities that would issue forth from my mouth......

movie zombie
08-18-2009, 9:26 AM
Pistol, maybe she was trying to impress you with her stories about her dad and guns.......? lesson learned: #1 when taking a date to the range, take a .22 for the date to fire before handing her the love of your life pistol. #2 bad***** is ok when referring to calgun women.

mz

Pistolwhipped
08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
I will never make the same mistake twice. She shot my 22 with ease and seemed to enjoy it so when whe asked to shoot the 45 I said sure. I'm sure her saying that was just to impress.
Anyways, lessons learned. :(

Pistol, maybe she was trying to impress you with her stories about her dad and guns.......? lesson learned: #1 when taking a date to the range, take a .22 for the date to fire before handing her the love of your life pistol. #2 bad***** is ok when referring to calgun women.

mz

TMC
09-03-2009, 5:46 PM
Tell them there are 13 year old girls shooting action pistol with a 8-shot 627 and a Glock 34 and she is all of 78 pounds soaking wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CDB6DCq14

BananaTyrant
09-04-2009, 12:19 AM

I want my gf to get a 9mm. She herself is too scared of the gun and wants a .22 revolver. Of course she's never shot anything besides a .22 rifle, and that's all I have right now. I'd take her to a range we could rent guns, but the closest one is something like an hour away and I don't have a car.

kemasa
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
If she is scared of the gun, then it is a bad idea. Get a .22 revolver and hopefully she will try something else later. I think it is a bad idea to force the issue and push what you want, instead of what she wants. You might also find an instructor to show her how to shoot or find a friend who has a 9mm. Not all firearms are the same. Just remember, for a new shooter only put one round in the firearm.

wksun88
09-04-2009, 1:35 PM
Not all women are as bada** as the Calguns girls. I made the mistake of letting my ex shoot my GSR 1911 and after the first shot she got so scared by the recoil she dropped my beautiful Nitron finish GSR on the concrete barrel first. The slide was chipped and my heart was broken. No thats not the reason she is my ex. She was a ***** thats why.

So what I'm trying to say is some girls are girly and some are... ummm... not girly. My heart still hurts and my GSR is still scarred.:owned:

OH god.... my condolences

BananaTyrant
09-04-2009, 3:45 PM
If she is scared of the gun, then it is a bad idea. Get a .22 revolver and hopefully she will try something else later. I think it is a bad idea to force the issue and push what you want, instead of what she wants. You might also find an instructor to show her how to shoot or find a friend who has a 9mm. Not all firearms are the same. Just remember, for a new shooter only put one round in the firearm.

I never intended to force her to get a 9mm. If she wants a .22 then that's what she'll get. I'm just hoping I can eventually get her to a range that rents guns so I can get her more comfortable with guns first. Thanks for the advice about one round for a newbie, I hadn't heard/thought of that before, it's a good idea(I too am relatively new to guns).

Liberty Belle
09-04-2009, 5:56 PM
My first gun was (and still is) a FN9 9mm Semi-auto. I'm very comfortable with it and I'm not a big person at all. Since then, I've acquired and regularly shoot a Bushmaster carbon 15 and a Socom 16 9now THAT's a gun!

kemasa
09-05-2009, 11:33 AM
If you are new to firearms, you might consider taking a basic firearms course. There is the NRA Basic Pistol course, which should be taken after the Basic Firearms Safety course. It is really a good idea. I became an instructor and learned a lot and it can make a difference.

mmartin
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
mz

thank you, that's a point. maybe "delicate"... or "fragile". a few years ago my hubby's shooting club hosted the Swedish Bikini Team for a SWPL match... none had ever shot before, so he and a couple of other guys took them through some basic training. let me tell you what, those girls are *girly*. two of them also turned out to be pretty good shooters.
Megan

mmartin
09-07-2009, 1:12 AM
I never intended to force her to get a 9mm. If she wants a .22 then that's what she'll get. I'm just hoping I can eventually get her to a range that rents guns so I can get her more comfortable with guns first. Thanks for the advice about one round for a newbie, I hadn't heard/thought of that before, it's a good idea(I too am relatively new to guns).

you know, I think its not so much how big the gun is, it's about how "in control" she feels it is.

My first and still favorite pistol is a Glock .45, full size, not the compact. I shot just about everything the shop had before I decided, and I bought that one because it fits my hand, the weight is reasonable, when I pick it up and shoot it, it shoots just where I think it will. I don't have to think about my grip, about the angle of my wrist, about the sights, I just pick it up and shoot it and I get nice groupings just where I think they'll be.

things that made a big difference... one of the selling points on some of the pistols I tried was they were heavier so less recoil... guess what, I'll take the recoil to have the gun be lighter. I find I can hold a lighter gun more still and stable than a heavier one and I don't tire as fast, so my shooting stays more accurate for longer. managing the recoil takes a little more skill, but overall I feel more "in-control" of the position of a lighter gun.

proper fit of the grip to my hand matters, because then when I pick it up I know right away if I'm holding it in proper position or not. that's more in-control too.

proper angle of the grip to match my natural position helps too, I bring the gun up, and there's the sight picture... sights line up without my having to hunt for them, it's just right there. natural.

My hubby has a couple I don't like shooting because 1) they're too heavy, 2) they're not stable in my hand, 3) they have WAY too much recoil, or 4) because the're too small... yep, won't shoot the 22 derringer because I don't feel like I can ever get a secure grip on it... too darn small.

women generally have different physical strengths than men... you've got upper body and grip strength we don't (at least not in the same proportions). so we need to address problems a bit differently than you do. I can't hold a heavy gun at arms length for nearly as long as my hubby can, I tire faster when it comes to brute arm strength. so a lighter gun works better for me. with a long gun, I need one that's weight balanced towards the back, if the weight's out front, I lose accuracy much faster. he just holds it up. I've learned to finess the recoil managment (or just pay someone to port the barrel), he just brute strengths it. different tactics are needed because of our different construction.

'course if everything went sideways, I'd shoot whatever was handy, but really, the ones that make me feel I'm not in control of the gun are the ones I don't like shooting.

so all that to say, if you're helping the GF pick a gun, I'd look for what she feels in control of, because that will bring her fear in line, and not worry about what size it is. the less fear, the more fun, the more time spent shooting and the more options she'll eventually be interested in.

as to your dropped gun... if she was expecting a 22 reaction in her hand and got surprised, that can happen (shouldn't, but can)... good to emphasize the difference between what she's used to and what you're giving her next so she knows to brace up.

megan

Liberty Belle
09-07-2009, 10:43 PM

mz

All I know is that my ammo bag always has at least 3 tubes of lip gloss in it and I'm actively looking for a Chanel rifle sling.

As to what to call a guy that dropped one of my guns? Nothing. I'd just snarl, unhinge my jaw and swallow him whole.

9-12
09-08-2009, 8:03 AM
I had a friend yers ago that gave his girlfriend a 9mm for a birthday present. Took her to the range and tought her to shoot.
We visit his grave once in a while. No lie.
Don't teach your GF to shoot untill you know her VERY well....;)
You women who like to shoot...you're awsome, but hormones, PMS, and a loaded gun???
Yes, dear....whatever you say dear...:D

mmartin
09-08-2009, 9:50 AM
Don't teach your GF to shoot untill you know her VERY well....;)
trying to work out the corollary to that... would that be "don't date guys with guns?" since by definition you don't know him well when you start dating?

maybe the rule just ought to be "treat kindly".

You women who like to shoot...you're awsome, but hormones, PMS, and a loaded gun???
Yes, dear....whatever you say dear...:D
well, not that we're *all* PMS-ish and hormonal types... but you know what they say about an armed society being a polite society... maybe it applies to households too.;)

megan

kemasa
09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
The real thing is to teach people properly. Part of that is start them with shooting from a bench rest and only put in one round at a time (same thing with a new firearm). You can instill bad habits for life if you don't do it right, so take the time to learn how to teach people.

ERdept
09-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Most of my GF's and my current one shoot and if they don't, I can't even make it past a second date.

But I have heard the OP's talk from gunstore customers. Madness!

My woman loves her .45, 1911. Indeed, I like the idea that my significant other can protect me and the house as well.

5hundo
09-15-2009, 9:35 AM

That's lame...

My GF shoots .357s better than a lot of guys at my local range. Some guys need to chill with the whole Macho-man thing...

...after all, don't you ladies love a pompous, arrogant, know-it-all who thinks that the only firearms a woman can handle is a .22...? :rolleyes:

fullrearview
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe sometimes, she asks him to go along and do all the talking. Me and the misses have an understanding. If its something that I know more about, I do the talking and vise versa.

Texwanders
10-18-2009, 12:55 AM
At last count I've taken 4 different women out shooting for their first experience. I started all with a .22. Four of the five graduated up to centerfires, without any problem. Short of a woman having a disability, a 9mm or .38/.357 revo is fine. The ex-wife eventually wound up with a .357 Python, and she used to get a kick of going to the range in skirt & heels, shooting the Snake with full house Blue Dot handloads and watching guys stare.

If women have trouble with the slide on an auto, the trick is usually to have them keep their arms straight, and twist the shoulders to work the slide. Safe muzzle direction and finger off the trigger are of course mandatory

The last one I took shooting owned her own Ruger .22 pistol, and was quite good with it when I met her. She wanted nothing to do with anything bigger, however. I talked her into shooting a .38 Super 1911 (pretty mild recoil) once, and she fired one shot, set it down, and shook her hand going, AAAAAAAHHHHH! She insisted on sticking to her .22.

Adehtla
10-18-2009, 8:07 PM
About two weeks ago me girlfriend told me that she wants to get a gun. I had taken her shooting before and found that for her 9mm is a bit much-- I know, to almost everyone 9mm is like a cap gun, but not her. She asked about getting a .22LR, and I didn't discount it (in fact, I would love to have a Walther P22 available to shoot), but I really wanted her to try something near 9mm since she wants it for when she's home alone.

We talked about it and reached a compromise: .380 Auto or .32 ACP.

Today we went to Target Masters West and started off by renting a Sig P232 (.380 Auto). It was the right size to fit her smaller hands and was easy to get around. I had her load up the first magazine and she let five fly.

Her smile said it all. Not only was this the cartridge, it might be *THE* gun. She put 100 rounds through the Sig and very few wandered outside the black. She actually had a few people watching her shoot. I better start shooting even more, or she's very quickly going to be better than me, haha! And if she does, you'll not hear a single gripe from :-)

After shooting we looked at some guns. She wanted me to ask for guns to see, and I kind of did (I was willing to get the ball rolling, but the rest was up to her). I asked if she could see something in .380 Auto that had a manual thumb safety (this is something she really wants). The poor guy at the gun counter must have missed the "she" because he tried to hand the gun to me. Once I redirected him to my girlfriend, she got her hands on four guns. Sadly, they only had one other .380 Auto that fit her hands: a Bersa Thunder 380. I'm gonna call around to a few shops, see if there are any other guns I can have her check out before she makes a choice.

With our three year anniversary is coming up on the 27th of October I was considering getting her a gun as a gift, but it seems a little tacky to me. It's okay though, I already got a gift :-)

mmartin
10-18-2009, 9:26 PM
About two weeks ago me girlfriend told me that she wants to get a gun. I had taken her shooting before and found that for her 9mm is a bit much-- I know, to almost everyone 9mm is like a cap gun, but not her. She asked about getting a .22LR, and I didn't discount it (in fact, I would love to have a Walther P22 available to shoot), but I really wanted her to try something near 9mm since she wants it for when she's home alone.

We talked about it and reached a compromise: .380 Auto or .32 ACP.

Today we went to Target Masters West and started off by renting a Sig P232 (.380 Auto). It was the right size to fit her smaller hands and was easy to get around. I had her load up the first magazine and she let five fly.

Her smile said it all. Not only was this the cartridge, it might be *THE* gun. She put 100 rounds through the Sig and very few wandered outside the black. She actually had a few people watching her shoot. I better start shooting even more, or she's very quickly going to be better than me, haha! And if she does, you'll not hear a single gripe from :-)

After shooting we looked at some guns. She wanted me to ask for guns to see, and I kind of did (I was willing to get the ball rolling, but the rest was up to her). I asked if she could see something in .380 Auto that had a manual thumb safety (this is something she really wants). The poor guy at the gun counter must have missed the "she" because he tried to hand the gun to me. Once I redirected him to my girlfriend, she got her hands on four guns. Sadly, they only had one other .380 Auto that fit her hands: a Bersa Thunder 380. I'm gonna call around to a few shops, see if there are any other guns I can have her check out before she makes a choice.

With our three year anniversary is coming up on the 27th of October I was considering getting her a gun as a gift, but it seems a little tacky to me. It's okay though, I already got a gift :-)

good job on helping her find the right gun!
sounds like you're on to the way to help her have fun with this. that smile we get is cool, eh?

as to the gift... well, depends on the kind of girl she is.
I'm a tool user, so buy me a gun, I get that grin. power tools work too.
ok, so *some* jewelry works, but guns and power tools, that works every time. I'm thinking a full swoon could be had from one of those long, gold boxes of long stemmed roses, nicely packaged up with a gun in the box too... think of it as a gun bouquet...
megan

Adehtla
10-18-2009, 10:23 PM
good job on helping her find the right gun!
sounds like you're on to the way to help her have fun with this. that smile we get is cool, eh?

as to the gift... well, depends on the kind of girl she is.
I'm a tool user, so buy me a gun, I get that grin. power tools work too.
ok, so *some* jewelry works, but guns and power tools, that works every time. I'm thinking a full swoon could be had from one of those long, gold boxes of long stemmed roses, nicely packaged up with a gun in the box too... think of it as a gun bouquet...
megan

She's a definitely jewelry girl. Just mention Tiffany's and she'll light up, haha! I'm just glad she knows what "budget" means. I like to buy her something each year, but I'm having to scale back since I'm setting aside money for an engagement ring.

inkedshooter
10-18-2009, 10:53 PM
She's a definitely jewelry girl. Just mention Tiffany's and she'll light up, haha! I'm just glad she knows what "budget" means. I like to buy her something each year, but I'm having to scale back since I'm setting aside money for an engagement ring.
Ha your girl like Tiffany's too?? Yeah mine is the same also Coach handbags ha ha. My fiance' is new to shooting so I got her a Ruger 10/22 and a Buckmark pistol to start. Showed her a few basics, how to make the firearm safe, and how to load the mags.... seriously with in a few mags through each firearm she was shooting better than some people that have been shooting for years. It's something now her and I can enjoy together. I don't realy know if she's ready for a larger caliber yet, but I'll wait till she says she's ready. Oh... showed her some pics of the pink AR's floating around the net and she got a smile on her face :D.....maybe one day.....

Adehtla
10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Coach bags... I swear, those things are a disease.

My girlfriend wants the gun to protect herself when she's home alone. The house is 4,000 sq ft with 15 doorways (if I'm counting correctly) to the outside, one of which can't lock due to the house settling. It's also in a relatively remote part of the city she lives in. Both her and I agree that she should have the most gun she can handle.

I'm not knocking you for getting a 10/22 and a Buckmark, those are awesome guns. I may buy my own 10/22 just to tacticool it out ;-)

People learn to shoot for different reasons, but I think that as gun owners we all eventually come to a point where the reasons we had for learning no longer are the main reason we shoot. We all eventually find that what matters is enjoying shooting and feeling comfortable in our ability to safely handle almost any gun, and defend ourselves if absolutely necessary.

sevensix2x51
10-19-2009, 8:13 PM
edit- gonna start a new thread- sorry for derail

mmartin
10-19-2009, 8:30 PM
if she's happy shooting one thing, no need to change her to anything else. if she's happy, you're happy, right?

but if you REALLY WANT to get her shooting something else, when she asks is good...

if she's not the asking sort, bring what she likes shooting, and the next thing you think she might like... you shoot that one.

after she's warmed up on what she's familiar with, and before she gets tired, and after you've shot the other one, offer her the one you're shooting.
if she's interested, she'll take it. if not, she'll keep shooting the other.

it's all good, either way.

megan

KylaGWolf
11-24-2009, 11:58 PM
What is sad when I first started looking at a gun for me I was considering a 22. Ended up buying a 9mm and now thinking of getting a 1911 .45. :D In my case I really was worried about being able to handle a gun.

Steyrlp10
11-25-2009, 12:41 PM
That's the spirit -- you can never go wrong with shopping for upgrades, especially 1911s!

RP1911
11-25-2009, 3:53 PM
I thought my wife how to shoot. Started her on a .380 acp. She now has 5 of her own handguns and a .22 rifle.

The one she likes the most is the Browning Hi-Power 9mm Practical

sofine354
11-27-2009, 9:57 AM
I was at the gunstore looking at a .22 revolver for my wife. Mostly because she wants something small and light. The salesguy tried to push a glock, but I explained to him that if she ever has to carry it in her purse, I would be concerned that the semi-auto may get gummed up with mascara bits, lotion, etc. They all looked at each other, and the guy said "I've never considered the ramifications of carrying a gun in a purse."

He suggested a lady smith .357 snub-nose. This is where I get into trouble, because my revolver is from the 1930s and weighs quite a bit. I also don't like hammerless anything because I want to be in control. He then said that if she pulling it from her purse, I wouldn't want her pulling out her four pound lanyard key chain on the edge of the hammer, would I? Good point, so I held the Lady Smith and, wow, the entire pistol weighs as much as the cylinder on my old case hardened revolver. So, she's probably getting a lady smith, as long as she likes it when I bring her back.

pTa
11-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Kudos to you guys for teaching your ladies to shoot.
At least for encouraging them. Here in CALI it seems there aren't enough women shooters.

I'm lucky I learnt when I was young.

also Kudos to gun store employes for being helpful to me and my gfs when we come in to shop around.

sofine354
11-28-2009, 2:13 PM
Just re-read some of this thread, and think its a mountain out of a molehill. I would carry a .22 revolver even though I handle a 1911 with no problem. Sometimes it means surviving or not. For the house, 12 gauge all the way (though she would probably reach for the lever 30-30). But for walking around with, a small round is reasonable. Its stupid that Cal CCWs don't allow anything smaller than .380.

The fact is my wifes hand is not physically capable of managing say, a .38 Derringer, while mine is. So in that instance, small calibers are better for her in a small firearm.

diginit
03-15-2010, 8:40 PM
I hate it when guys think girls are weak and can't handle a large caliber. My X was a black belt and one tough lady. And still, a lady she was. Even though she could kick most men's arses. These guys need to get a clue.
Most women have learned to defend themselves. Their not stupid...
It never hurts to look after them anyways...Just don't belittle them because of their sex. Waaaay Oldschool.

CHS
03-16-2010, 10:17 AM
I hate it when guys think girls are weak and can't handle a large caliber. My X was a black belt and one tough lady. And still, a lady she was. Even though she could kick most men's arses. These guys need to get a clue.
Most women have learned to defend themselves. Their not stupid...
It never hurts to look after them anyways...Just don't belittle them because of their sex. Waaaay Oldschool.

I have met many women that hated shooting based SOLELY on the fact that some man in their life introduced them to shooting for the FIRST time by putting the biggest scariest gun in their hands. Turned them off to shooting for the rest of their lives.

EVERYONE, not just women, should start with a .22. When they are READY, they'll ask for something bigger.

tacticalcity
03-16-2010, 2:54 PM
I have met many women that hated shooting based SOLELY on the fact that some man in their life introduced them to shooting for the FIRST time by putting the biggest scariest gun in their hands. Turned them off to shooting for the rest of their lives.

EVERYONE, not just women, should start with a .22. When they are READY, they'll ask for something bigger.

Pretty sure you and I have had this conversation before. Seems neither of us is a convert.

While I agree in principle that sticking a massive boom stick into a 98lbs persons hand and standing back and watching the show is a bad idea, I'd say a 9mm hadgun (or .223 if learning to shoot a rifle) is a better starting point for adults male or female than a 22lr. Very little recoil and bang - and it actually has a practical use beyond shooting targets.

While the .22 is next to nothing recoil and noise wise, and not intimidating at all, it is also next to nothing when it comes to usefulness in self defense. I’ve seen in real life, just how useless the 22lr can be when it comes to self defense.

A former instructor of mine, a police officer, has a very cool dot and vertical line scar on his forehead. He was shot from about five plus feet away right in the center of his forehead with a 22lr. He then proceeded to charge the bad guy, subdue and cuff him, and toss him the back of the car. Ten minutes or so later when back up arrived they asked why he was bleeding. He did not even know he had been shot. The round did not penetrate bone. Once it hit skull it changed direction and went straight up into his hair line and out the back of his scalp and on its way. The flash and the bang sent him into shock, and thanks to the adrenaline he did not know he had been hit. He was not in real pain until the following day. So when it comes to the ineffectiveness of the 22lr, that guy is living proof.

Now imagine that scenerio in reverse. Some young woman learns to shoot because she has a stalker, then that stalker breaks into her apartment in the middle of the night. She graps her semi-auto pistol, aims and fires a perfect controlled pair into the chest of her attacker - only he keeps coming and takes the gun from her and things only get worse from there.

If those 22lr rounds hit bone at just the right amount of thickness, they are not going to penatrate. Even if they penetrate, there is not enough damage done to stop him in his tracks. A mortal wound might not even slow him down. He could killer, then die an hour or two or even a day or two later. While the 9mm is not a 100% guarenteed solution the odds are strongly in its favor, and the 22lr almost guarentees a failure to stop. Unless she hits him square in the eye, which is tough shot when under stress, he will have the physical ability to keep on coming.

Since 22lr is useless for self defense, as illustrated above, and since most women want to learn to shoot specifically for self defense (or at least that is what they keep telling me) I start them off with what I believe they will most likely want to carry.

I do take recoil and noise into account. Both are very manageable on a 9mm. And there are there are very few failures to stop with a 9mm comparatively speaking. It also helps that I actually own a 9mm handgun, and do not own anything smaller (not because I am a macho jerk but because I wouldn't trust anything smaller to do the trick) so I don’t need to rent anything for them if I start them at a 9mm.

I am a strong believer in shooting what you will actually carry/use in self defense, and only what you will actually carry/use in self defense. Anybody over say 10 should be shooting something more power than a 22lr.

As for the argument about getting trigger control and sight picture and all that jazz down with a 22lr and then moving onto a higher caliber, that is what dry practice is for. Every minute of dry practice (practicing with getting the basics down with an unloaded gun) is like 20 minutes of live fire as far as usefulness at mastering the basics. Live fire adds the element of recoil and noise, but dry fire is where the core work gets done. Without a boat load of dry fire, you’ll never get proficient. The added benefit is that dry fire is free, since you are not shooting ammo.

My main fear with your suggestion is that time and time again I've seen people never advance beyond a 22lr, and walk around thinking they are safe. My mom's boyfriend is perfect example. No matter what I tell him, he thinks is 22lr will be enough to do the trick if he is attacked because, and I quote "it's what the mafia used for executions". I try and tell him, thats when they would sneak up behind a guy, take perfect aim, and hit him where penetration was guarenteed. That is something a bad guy is not going to let you do. It is very different usage than self defense. Yet that myth has made the 22lr a favorite of would be macho men everywhere. Especially amongst my fellow Italian Americans.

All that said, I do understand your argument. It does have merit to it. I am just pointing that if their goal is to learn to shoot for self defense purposes, and not just to gain exposure to guns in general, then one could argue just as strongly that a 9mm is a better place to start.