PDA

View Full Version : 22-AR or WASR-22 pistol?

River Jack
04-24-2009, 4:31 PM
Just something that occurred to me... I've seen a few singleshot AR-15 and AK-style pistols being assembled/transfered recently. It got me thinking, has anyone attempted an AR or AK-style pistol build in .22lr? Seems like a cool way to make a super cool-looking pistol. Any legal or perhaps mechanical/engineering problems with this idea? Could an AR pistol be built without the buffer tube extending out the back of the rifle (I haven't yet embraced that look on the 5.56 pistol builds)?

RJ

Rukus
04-24-2009, 7:13 PM
I think the problem with the WASR is that it comes as a rifle so you cant just chop off the stock and call it a pistol, although I may be wrong...maybe that just matters with centerfires. I believe there are a few pictures in the AR pistol thread of bufferless pistols. Dedicated .22 builds do not need a buffer assembly to function properly, they do however need a maglock because the magazine is located outside of the grip.

River Jack
04-25-2009, 3:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. You are right about the WASR-22. Wouldn't be able to convert it due to it being a rifle and all. I guess the issue with the AR-22 pistol idea would be the fact that no one currently offers pistol length barrels for the 22lr (although I suppose a rifle-length barrel could potentially be chopped; but not by me-yet anyway!). Oh well, it was a nice fantasy while it lasted. When someone starts producing pistol length AR barrels for the 22lr, I may just have to get one of those and build my first AR pistol (**hint**hint**hint** for any barrelsmith out there).

rct442
04-25-2009, 4:48 PM
Its only 25$ + shipping to shorten and crown a barrel to any length you want...

Scroll down about half way (http://www.ar15barrels.com/services.shtml)

Plus, he is a member of this forum as well.

Spike's Tactical also offers full .22LR dedicated AR uppers at decent prices. Plus they do custom lengths as well for only 75$ more.

.22LR Upper with YHM Light Rails (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=116)

River Jack
04-26-2009, 3:46 PM
Just checked out Spike's Tactical website for the first time in a while. As usual, they are way ahead of me here. They're offering a fully assembled AR-22lr pistol. Looks pretty cool. Here in CA, however, would we have to DROS a 22lr pistol lower as a single shot like is required for centerfire AR pistols?

Quiet
04-26-2009, 4:39 PM
Here in CA, however, would we have to DROS a 22lr pistol lower as a single shot like is required for centerfire AR pistols?

Yes. It needs to be imported as a single-shot pistol.
After it is DROS'd and you pick it up after your 10 day wait, you can modified it to a semi-auto pistol with a fixed 10 round magazine.