PDA

View Full Version : Process of getting a handgun in CA

avdrummerboy
04-24-2009, 3:07 PM
Hey all,

I am just shy of 20, so I have a little while to go, but I figured that this would be the best forum to ask this.

What is the process of attaining a handgun in CA. What paperwork, costs aside from the gun, etc do I have to look forward to?

I am looking at Glocks pretty closely, so that'll probably be the first buy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe
04-24-2009, 7:23 PM
A glock 19 would be a great first gun.

You can either wait till your 21 and buy the gun yourself. You'll need:
-The money
-A handgun safety certificate(HSC)(can be acquired at the same time of purchase, its an extremely easy, short test)
-Proof of residence(like vehicle registration)
-A drivers license(maybe california ID would work here also)

Or, at age 18+, you could have your dad get the gun and then perform an intrafamiliar transfer and give you the gun. He would have to purchase the gun and complete all the above steps when he purchases it, wait ten days, then bring the gun home. You can get your HSC when he does then when he gets the gun home you print out the form online, fill it out, and mail it along with a check for $19 to the DOJ. The gun will then be legally yours and registered to your name.

Quiet
04-24-2009, 7:53 PM
In addition to what Joe posted.

If your dad is not willing to do the intra-familial transfer, your mom or grandfather or grandmother can also do the intra-familial transfer.

Also, your grandparent/parent doing the intra-familial transfer needs to be a CA resident.

Glock619
04-25-2009, 2:31 AM
since on the subject, how soon could we get the transfer?
our 10 day ends on tuesday, the 28. is there a waiting period so it wouldnt be considered a straw buy.

Joe
04-25-2009, 1:30 PM
You can fill out the paperwork and send it to the DOJ on the 28th if you'd like. Personally I'd wait a day or two, its not like you have to go through another 10 day wait so there really isn't any rush at this point. There is no law against your dad transferring the gun to you, you just have to do it legally.
Regarding the straw purchase:
The thing you've heard about is what is called a "straw purchase" in which a person who is prohibited form buying a firearm (like a felon) has someone else buy it with the intent of giving it to them. This is done to hide the identity of the person who ultimately will receive the firearm, who would be prohibited form buying it on his own. Father/son transfers are fine to do this way, if the child is over 18 (must be 18 years old to possess a handgun in California), the aforementioned form is filled out, and the child is not a prohibited person (felon, etc..)

Glock619
04-25-2009, 7:43 PM
thanks a lot joe, i really appreciate that info

avdrummerboy
04-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Too many freakin hoops to jump through, this is gonna be fun.

Joe
04-26-2009, 11:49 AM
No problem.

It seems like a lot, but in the end it isn't too bad. I did this when I was too young to buy a handgun myself. Pretty much your dad buys the gun legally. You get a HSC. Then when he picks up the gun you send the form and check to the doj.

avdrummerboy
04-26-2009, 1:25 PM
Problem is I am the only one in my family who is a "gun-person" :)

Glock619
04-26-2009, 8:33 PM
thats exactly what i did, tomorrow i finish last part of exposed firearm permit class.

Requiem
05-04-2009, 4:04 PM
Hm... I think I may just do something similar. I wish I'd heard about this before... I really want a 4" or 5" XD pistol... Can someone provide a link to that inter-family transfer thing?

ke6guj
05-04-2009, 4:25 PM
Can someone provide a link to that inter-family transfer thing?http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf .

That covers you if both parties are CA-residents. If your parents live in a different state, and you are less than 21, then federal law prohibits it.

avdrummerboy
05-04-2009, 8:54 PM
Well, I have my first age 21 purchase in mind.

A quick question, do you have to be 21 to get the HSC, a previous post made it sound like you don't have to be.

ke6guj
05-04-2009, 9:01 PM
No, you don't have to be 21 to get an HSC. IIRC, the PC allows for it once you turn 18. However, some dealers won't allow you to take the HSC test because they think you have to 21, or, they want to ration their HSC cards to only those people actually purchasing a handgun from them. And since an 18 to 20-year old can't purchase or PPT a handgun through a dealer, it doesn't benefit the HSC-instructor to "waste" an HSC card on you.

Are there any minimum qualifications/requirements for a person who wants to take the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) test?
The only requirements are that the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) applicant must be at least 18 years of age and must present clear evidence of identity and age by presenting a California Driver's License or California Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card.

Requiem
05-04-2009, 9:21 PM
So I found out that since I'm reserve military I don't have to take the test to get the HSC... however what would I have to present the FFL giving proof of that fact? Military ID?

Another thing is, I remember buying my first gun (rifle) a few months back and on the form it said something along the lines of: "Are you purchasing this firearm for anyone other than yourself. Saying yes means you cannot purchase this firearm."

Would that apply in this sense and could the family member be held liable for that?

Joe
05-04-2009, 10:51 PM
The family member would be purchasing the gun for his or her self. Then after legally purchasing and receiving the gun, they could legally decide to transfer it to you.

But they would be purchasing it for themselves.

ke6guj
05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Another thing is, I remember buying my first gun (rifle) a few months back and on the form it said something along the lines of: "Are you purchasing this firearm for anyone other than yourself. Saying yes means you cannot purchase this firearm."

Would that apply in this sense and could the family member be held liable for that?

Here is a copy of the 4473 that you fill out, http://www.atf.gov/press/2008press/100308f4473_pt1_aug2008-sample-rev.pdf . Read the instructions for 11a, it explains that purchasing a firearm as a gift is legal.

andrewj
05-05-2009, 1:14 PM
Too many freakin hoops to jump through, this is gonna be fun.

you have no idea

low94noma
05-11-2009, 3:18 AM
It is easy brotha. Just find someone willing to make the initial purchase when they obtain a HSC. Al they need to do is study a little booklet online, pay the fee at a gun dealer, take a 30 question test, and voila, ready for transfer.

After the 10-day wait, go through the link to print out the form, fill it out, send payment, you will receive a confirmation form the DOJ after it is processed. You are the new proud owner of a handgun. The best bet to get your HSC is to go down to the dealer the same time your family member takes his/her HSC test and have them tell the dealer they want their child to get it to be a safe handgun shooter or something along the lines of that.

Some good persuasive statements to get them to do the transfer/purchase is, "I can't buy ammo until I am 21 anyway, I would need one of you guys", or, "it is registered in my name, it is my responsibility now".

Good luck!

Jimmy310
05-20-2009, 5:09 PM
A glock 19 would be a great first gun.

You can either wait till your 21 and buy the gun yourself. You'll need:
-The money
-A handgun safety certificate(HSC)(can be acquired at the same time of purchase, its an extremely easy, short test)
-Proof of residence(like vehicle registration)
-A drivers license(maybe california ID would work here also)

Or, at age 18+, you could have your dad get the gun and then perform an intrafamiliar transfer and give you the gun. He would have to purchase the gun and complete all the above steps when he purchases it, wait ten days, then bring the gun home. You can get your HSC when he does then when he gets the gun home you print out the form online, fill it out, and mail it along with a check for $19 to the DOJ. The gun will then be legally yours and registered to your name.

Are you sure they accept a vehicle registration for proof of residency?

Glock619
05-20-2009, 6:55 PM
Yes, vehicle reg can be used for proof. I just went through this a few weeks ago. Like states above, some dealers think you have to me 21 to take hsc test. He got proved wrong by his owned son. LOL

Patrol42
09-24-2009, 1:36 PM
Does it have to believe immediate family? I want a Glock 23, but damn I can't wait 2 years.

ke6guj
09-24-2009, 1:50 PM
If you want to legally get a handgun before you are 21, then the only way is through an intrafamily transfer from a CA-resident. An intrafamily transfer is defined as a transfer involving grandparent, parent, child, or grandchild. No other relatives qualify for an intrafamily transfer.