PDA

View Full Version : Help my friend choose his first rifle

Texas Boy
04-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I managed to get a buddy of mine into shooting - and after about 9 months of shooting his .22LR handgun (and my rifles) he is ready to get a rifle. He has no interest in hunting and isn't concerned with SD or other uses, so he plans to stay with .22LR - which is fine with me since I don't have anything chambered in .22LR and could shoot his! (OK, my son has a 39A, but he won't let dad shoot more than a few rounds).

My friend says he wants a bolt gun, .22LR, and wants to spend <$1k for rifle and scope. I've been steering him toward a CZ. Any other suggestions? He is also considering a Ruger 77, but this seems more of a field gun and he obviously wants a target/match gun. He isn't opposed to used either, and I've told him to keep an eye out in the classified section.

Thanks!
Mark

Fjold
04-24-2009, 3:35 PM
CZ 452 American is a great choice, it has a better trigger out of the box than the Ruger and there are simple drop in trigger spring kits available for them on rimfire central.

22popnsplat
04-24-2009, 5:47 PM
Anschutz match 54 and dont look back.

Vacaville
04-24-2009, 5:50 PM
There are some pretty nice Savage bolt-action .22s.

WokMaster1
04-24-2009, 6:47 PM
Big 5's Marlin 795 for $149.:thumbsup:

Texas Boy
04-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Actually, the Marlin 9xx series are bolt guns (which is what he is looking for). How do these compare to the CZ?

jinggoyd1967
04-25-2009, 11:16 AM
How about trying something different. Check out the Browning T-bolt. http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=021B&cat_id=025&type_id=176
It's classy looking rifle and has a straight bolt-action.

Geo
04-25-2009, 11:21 AM
The CZ American is a sweet rifle... add a Zeiss Conquest or Leupold VXIII and still not break the $1k budget.

04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Another +1 for CZ. Best bang for the buck.

jkchan83
04-25-2009, 1:32 PM
Actually, the Marlin 9xx series are bolt guns (which is what he is looking for). How do these compare to the CZ?

Don't have a CZ for comparison, but I do own a Marlin 925. It's a very nice gun, especially for under $200. The trigger is significantly nicer than on the 795. I put a relatively inexpensive Bushnell scope on it. For under $250, I have a rifle that shoots single-hole 10-shot groups at 25 yards. (Not very far, but I only have regular access to an indoor range.)

Any reason he has settled on a bolt gun in .22? One of the nice things with a .22 is the lack of recoil, so follow-up shots with a semi-auto rifle (e.g., 795) are usually right on the money. Ammo isn't expensive, either, so it's not a burden to shoot faster/more rounds per trip.

Either Marlin is a nice rifle. And thanks/congratulations for introducing a new shooter.

oops
04-25-2009, 1:52 PM
love my savage btvs...

flyer_55
04-25-2009, 8:51 PM
Hello All,

I'm the one looking for a bolt action 22 rifle. Here are my thoughts and justification for this choice:

1. Very inexpensive ammo, burns the same stuff as my Rugar MK III
2. Bolt action is usually a bit more accurate out of the box than an auto reload rifle. At the end of the day, either can be made to be as accurate as you have $$$, but as a baseline, the bolt is simpler action.

I want something that is astheticly pleasing in all respects - machining, stock, etc. Although I will consider a synthetic stock, again for accuracy.

I'm not looking to get into serious compition or field use, just plinking and target for my own enjoyment, maybe some sport events.

The $1K price is a hard stop. I feel that I should have no problem puting a good scope/rifle combo together for this price point.

currently I am leaning heavily towards the CZ, but plan on making a run around bay area shops to see how many different makes/models I can touch and feel. I appreciate all your 'favorate' recommenditions.

Joel

wellfedirishman
04-26-2009, 10:25 AM
If you can get an older US made 22 (e.g., Winchester 75, Mossberg 44, Remington 513T) you will be very happy with it.

The old US 22's are superbly made and incredibly accurate. Scope mounts are readily available for them. I just purchased a scope mount for a Mossberg 44 from Havlin Sales.

For your price range, you should be able to get one or maybe two very nice 22s. Maybe a bolt gun for accuracy and a lever gun for fun.

Good luck.