PDA

View Full Version : Hot Chase

Steyrlp10
04-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm sure all of you have your share of amusing war stories, but what was your best hot chase?

Jonathan Doe
04-24-2009, 1:52 PM
Once I tried to chase a 300ZX twin turbo or something. I was hitting 115 MPH and the car was pulling away. I was driving the old box car Caprice that I could not get any better speed, and the car started to shake. Without a air unit and a back up unit available, I just let it go. It was not worth the risk safety of others on the freeway.

But, when we switched over to "Shamu" Caprice with ZR-1 engine, it was easy to catch the speeders. That car was fast and very stable. Catching a speeding Corvet was an easy task.

Steyrlp10
04-24-2009, 4:21 PM
Has your dept included the new Dodges?

Up here, they're trying to replace the rusty Crown Vics, so I was curious.

bluestaterebel
04-28-2009, 12:56 AM
So there i was, a rookie (Boot) cop working 77th Division in South Central Los Angeles. Another unit broadcasts that they are following a stolen vehicle.

We are near by and respond to the location of the following. The primary unit broadcasts that they are now in 'Pursuit'. We join the pursuit as the third unit. I am freakin excited cause its my first pursuit.

The stolen car is hauling arse down residential streets. I can see the stolen car as it hits the dips at every intersection at high speeds.

the stolen car is going so fast that the rear end hits the ground everytime it hits a dip causing sparks to fly all over. the same thing with the black and white police cars. the cars were hitting the dips so fast the the rear ends were coming like 3-5 off of the ground. I remember thinking, "this is just like in the movies!"

Then suddenly the stolen car makes a quick left turn. So fast that the primary unit just cant make the turn and hits the center island causing then to spin out right in front of us. I remember thinking, "sucks for them, but now we are second in the pursuit!"

The stolen car is still flying! It makes a quick right on a residential but the primary was going too fast to make the turn and keeps going straight.

My training officer is driving, he is able to make the turn but just barely. we hop onto the curb and come within a hair of hitting a phone pole. I thought that we were gonners.

We are now primary! but wait, that means now I, the Boot, has to broadcast. where the hell am I? Okay i gain my composure and i put out or location. my heart is jumping out of my chest.

The stolen car ends up crashing into a parked car and the a**hole jumped out running. We formed a perimeter and ended up finding the guy hiding in the dark behind a house. needless to say you never want to run from the police and be found in a dark place.

Well maybe its not that exciting of a story but it sure was for me living it. I have others, i may post later.

Steyrlp10
04-28-2009, 6:27 PM
That must have been a rush! Thanks for the story!

Scarecrow Repair
04-28-2009, 8:57 PM
On the USS Midway, 1975 or so, Captain came on the 1MC and said the Soviet DD snoop was following too close for comfort, told us to get out cameras ready, but stay below decks until he gave the word. 5 or ten minutes later, we heeled over and chased that sucker. Water was a bit rough so we were slowly gaining, but we went back to normal ops after a few minutes and the Soviet DD stayed farther back after that.

Steyrlp10
04-29-2009, 7:42 PM
My dad was a tile setter by trade and worked on the Midway. Small world... he used to bring me home decals of the ships that were at Mare Island or Hunters Point for souvenirs when I was a little kid.

Your experience would have made for a good You Tube scene!

Noobert
04-29-2009, 8:10 PM
Once I tried to chase a 300ZX twin turbo or something. I was hitting 115 MPH and the car was pulling away. I was driving the old box car Caprice that I could not get any better speed, and the car started to shake. Without a air unit and a back up unit available, I just let it go. It was not worth the risk safety of others on the freeway.

But, when we switched over to "Shamu" Caprice with ZR-1 engine, it was easy to catch the speeders. That car was fast and very stable. Catching a speeding Corvet was an easy task.

how powerful is that ZR-1? a speeding corvette is pretty fast

bluestaterebel
04-29-2009, 11:02 PM

there comes a point where the suspects ability to drive is their downfall. a fleeing suspect in a corvette is more than likey going to crash and burn.

Steyrlp10
05-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Serves the bad guys right for not being able to drive like Steve McQueen!

Jonathan Doe
05-01-2009, 6:43 PM

I cought the Corvett doing about 100+ MPH on S/B La Cienega near Kenneth Hahn Park. A CHP was next to me in her Mustang GT, but my car drove very well.

bluestaterebel
05-02-2009, 4:34 PM
I cought the Corvett doing about 100+ MPH on S/B La Cienega near Kenneth Hahn Park. A CHP was next to me in her Mustang GT, but my car drove very well.

Thats Southwest LAPD, did you work there?

Noobert
05-02-2009, 4:55 PM
was it an older corvette, not the new C6's?

icormba
05-02-2009, 8:25 PM
was it an older corvette, not the new C6's?

He mentioned the PD Caprice has a ZR-1 engine... which is a highly modified corvette engine which means it has typically more power than the average vette.

The current ZR-1 engine puts out over 630hp, the current C6 starts with ~430hp.