PDA

View Full Version : How does the 10/22 rotary mag work?

BTF/PTM
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I found a video on how to disassemble the mag, and I understand generally that some mechanism in the rifle rotates the mag as it cycles, but does anyone have a video (like maybe a CAD thing) or diagram of how the action actually moves? It's really wierd to me how that mag rotates, and yet you can plug in a single-stack aftermarket mag and it works just as well.

p.s. - are there any recommendations on single-stack 10-round mags for the 10/22? Which brands are good? The lil rotary thing is annoying.

AlliedArmory
04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I found a video on how to disassemble the mag, and I understand generally that some mechanism in the rifle rotates the mag as it cycles, but does anyone have a video (like maybe a CAD thing) or diagram of how the action actually moves? It's really wierd to me how that mag rotates, and yet you can plug in a single-stack aftermarket mag and it works just as well.

p.s. - are there any recommendations on single-stack 10-round mags for the 10/22? Which brands are good? The lil rotary thing is annoying.

wow you dont like the rotary mag? i think its awesome. single stack mags will stick out the bottom of the rifle...and at least to my eyes, looks very ugly.

leggsman
04-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I like Butler Creeks steel lips .They function flawlessly.

RedRocket
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
in a ruger 10/22 the rotary mag does not get "rotated" by the action of the rifle.. think of the rotary mag as a single stack bent into a circle... spring tention brings the next round into poition after the rifle chambers the top round... they make clear rotary mags.... load one up and strip it by hand to get a better picture of how it works.

The standard 10 round 10/22 magazine stores the cartridges in a rotary fashion, rather than stacked, as seen in a box magazine. This allows the magazine to fit flush into the rifle without protruding from the stock. The action of the rifle strips a cartridge from the magazine with each shot, allowing the next cartridge to feed into place.

BTF/PTM
04-24-2009, 5:20 PM
I took my own mag apart, I understand it now. What a clever little machine. I must publicly apologize to Ruger for calling their rotary mag annoying, it's nothing of the sort - not nearly as complex as I thought it was. I like it when being proven wrong ends up working to my benefit.

bobbyblank
04-24-2009, 8:26 PM
Lol, never had a 10/22 but i do like the idea of thier rotary mags. Thats why i use 5 rounders in my savage, they only stick out of the stock about 1/4", unlike the 10 rounders. I like my .22's to NOT look like .22's :D. Hope i can grab a 10/22 next time i see them on sale.

lawnrevenge
04-24-2009, 8:36 PM
I got the hotlips mags you can clip 3 10 rounders together and there are 30 rounds ready to go on the rifle. Of course if you move into the free world, or if we get full capacity mags back in California they sell super high capacity mags for the 10/22.

TKM
04-24-2009, 8:45 PM
I've read here and there that they are assembled by "special" folks.

Sometimes they need a little tune-up.

calixt0
04-24-2009, 9:06 PM
if you think the ruger rotary mag is complex try looking the calico 100 round mag i love mine... its like the energizer bunny... they just keep going and going

Chunky_lover
04-24-2009, 11:12 PM
dont they also make a double helix mag for the 10/22, looks like a short churro

lawnrevenge
04-26-2009, 7:55 PM
Midway sells a 50 round rotary mag that looks more complex than the original 10 rounder.

bohoki
04-26-2009, 8:51 PM
Midway sells a 50 round rotary mag that looks more complex than the original 10 rounder.

hmm that brings up a good point is the 10 round rotary magazine technically a "drum"

jman11
04-26-2009, 9:31 PM
hmm that brings up a good point is the 10 round rotary magazine technically a "drum"

good guestion?

domokun
04-26-2009, 9:38 PM
I got the hotlips mags you can clip 3 10 rounders together and there are 30 rounds ready to go on the rifle. Of course if you move into the free world, or if we get full capacity mags back in California they sell super high capacity mags for the 10/22.

How are the plastic Hot Lips? I got a bunch of the 10 round Steel Lips due to reports saying the feed lips on the Steel Lips last longer than their plastic counterpart?

bohoki
04-28-2009, 3:32 PM
How are the plastic Hot Lips? I got a bunch of the 10 round Steel Lips due to reports saying the feed lips on the Steel Lips last longer than their plastic counterpart?

the steel lips will outlive the body but in my experience the hot lips feed better

xibunkrlilkidsx
04-28-2009, 5:09 PM
I like Butler Creeks steel lips .They function flawlessly.
my 25 rounder doesnt feed for crap, i tinhk the spring is just weak and doesnt have enough tension to push the round up far enough so the bolt can catch it.

but my 10 rounders with the plastic lips work real well. its my go to magazine.

lawnrevenge
04-28-2009, 7:49 PM

Mine work as well if not better than the original magazine. No problems and thousands of rounds through them.