PDA

View Full Version : Ship to self?

Teldin
04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I've searched but i'm still confused. 10 years ago we moved from AZ to VA. Left my S&W pistol with my sister. Got transfered to CA now would like to get my pistol back. I don't suppose her shipping it to me would be "shipping to myself"? Would she would have to ship it to my FFL. I will be out there in a couple months but don't want to hassle with declaring it at the airport. Could I FedEx it to myself if I'm out there?

Thanks.

bondmid003
04-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes, you can fedex or ups your pistol to yourself

lpspinner
04-23-2009, 11:52 PM
It's not that big of a deal to declare. I travel with firearms all the time and it's not a hassle. Just make sure it's packed properly and you'll be fine.

OH and yes you can fedex it to yourself.

cousinkix1953
04-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Don't forget to register it again with Sacramento! They will charge $19.00 to process the paperwork. Since you were transferred to Kalifornia, you can't claim to be just a visitor passing through our anti-gun paradise for a few days...

rabagley
04-24-2009, 12:57 AM
Flying with your firearm is actually quite simple. I have carried something nearly every time I visit family in Texas.

You need a lockable case, declare it, demonstrate that it's unloaded (easy if it's disassembled), lock the case, put the case in your luggage, get on the plane, pick up your luggage, go home.

Really.

Teldin
04-24-2009, 7:17 AM
Well I will have my daughter at the airport also, dont to go that route this time.

When shipping to self, do I have to declare it to FedEx?

Also, do I have to wait to go out there or can sis FedEx it to me?

Thanks for all the help.

hawk1
04-24-2009, 8:18 AM
Don't forget to register it again with Sacramento! They will charge $19.00 to process the paperwork. Since you were transferred to Kalifornia, you can't claim to be just a visitor passing through our anti-gun paradise for a few days...

Wrong. If he hasn't established 'residency' then he is not required to.

Any person who meets the definition of a personal handgun importer who moves into California with the intention of establishing residency in this state, must report his or her ownership of any handgun acquired outside California to the Department of Justice within 60 days

definition:
personal handgun importer
A personal handgun importer means an individual who meets specific criteria, which includes, but is not limited to, any person age 18 or older, who is not a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer, and who owns and intends to possess within this state on or after January 1, 1998, any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person that is not an assault weapon or machinegun, as defined by law. (Penal Code 12001(n).)

glockman19
04-24-2009, 8:25 AM
Yes, you can fedex or ups your pistol to yourself

When visiting Florida, I commonly will red-eye and FedEx my guns to myself. It beats checking in your bags. I send in the afternoon, get on the flight, arrive the next morning and at 10:00am my guns are delivered.

cousinkix1953
04-24-2009, 9:03 AM
Wrong. If he hasn't established 'residency' then he is not required to.

definition:
personal handgun importer
A personal handgun importer means an individual who meets specific criteria, which includes, but is not limited to, any person age 18 or older, who is not a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer, and who owns and intends to possess within this state on or after January 1, 1998, any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person that is not an assault weapon or machinegun, as defined by law. (Penal Code 12001(n).)
And what the hell do you call being transferred by the military or his employer? He isn't a weekend visitor with a handgun in the trunk...

Teldin
04-24-2009, 5:50 PM
I now permanently reside in CA and was transferred via work if that's what your wondering.

I never really got a clear answer about the FedEx shipping but thanks for all the other info guys.

Remember Ruby Ridge!

DDT
04-24-2009, 9:06 PM
Go to fedex and type "firearms" into their search box. You will get a link to the following:

# Firearms

1. Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
______1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S.or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
______2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
2. Carrier cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
3. Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm.
4. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
5. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
6. Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

rsandovaljr
04-24-2009, 9:23 PM
I recently traveled to Arizona with my XD out of SFO. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the airlines. I just told them I was declaring a firearm and a TSA agent screens your luggage and firearm. I took less then 5 minutes to go through screening. The best part about the whole thing is that I didn't have to any extra money. FedEx first or priority overnight can cost 50 to 60 bucks.

tcrpe
04-25-2009, 7:08 AM
It's not that big of a deal to declare. I travel with firearms all the time and it's not a hassle. Just make sure it's packed properly and you'll be fine.

OH and yes you can fedex it to yourself.

Heck, I think I get treated better through the airport when I'm traveling with guns . . . .