PDA

View Full Version : Possible legal defense for AB 962

Cromwell
04-23-2009, 5:37 PM
AB 1645 (La Malfa - R) Confiscation This bill Prevents confiscation of firearms from law-abiding citizens during emergencies. The nation saw the appalling situation in New Orleans in the aftermath of a catastrophic hurricane, where individuals were put in further jeopardy by law enforcement who removed their firearm protection forcefully from their possession, leaving them vulnerable and at the mercy of the lawless. GOC supports this bill.

Assemblyman Doug La Malfa

Summary:

In a crisis/emergency the Governor has authority above and beyond to address unusual needs. This bill stipulates that the seizure or confiscation of firearms or ammunition from anyone who is lawfully carryng or possessing them can not be authorized.

What happens if I want to give my father 51 rounds of ammo during an emergency? Am i a fellon? What do you guys think of this tactic to use as some of the defense against AB 962?

DDT
04-23-2009, 6:17 PM
I don't even see a connection.

First, there has to be a declared state of emergency for AB 1645 to even be in effect. Second, it prevents confiscation from anyone "lawfully carrying or possessing" if you illegally transferred the ammunition to him he wouldn't be lawfully carrying or possessing so the law wouldn't apply.

Much better to simply defeat 962

Swiss
04-23-2009, 7:27 PM
AB 1645

What happens if I want to give my father 51 rounds of ammo during an emergency? Am i a fellon? What do you guys think of this tactic to use as some of the defense against AB 962?

Section 12061(b)(5) states that AB962 shall not apply to "Sales or other transfers of ownership of handgun ammunition between immediate family members, spouses, or registered domestic partners."

So your father's OK but your next door neighbor is not.