PDA

View Full Version : Thumbhole Stock and the Americans with Disabilities Act

NunyahBusiness
04-23-2009, 4:53 PM
So here's an interesting situation and I'm hoping one of the legal eagles takes an interest;

I have a rare skeletal displasia and multiple orthopedic issues, am unquestionably "disabled" and as such theoretically protected by the ADA (Americans with Disabilites Act) from discrimination. I recently realized that autoloading centerfire long rifles with the ability to use a detachable magazine can not have a thumbhole stock.

My problem is, due to the shape of my hand... the only way for me to safely and acurately handle a long riffle is with a custom tailored thumbhole stock!

I asked the California DOJ if there was any special dispensation or permitting process for someone in my situation and they say my only recourse is to render my centerfire rifles incapable of accepting detachable magazines.

I suspect that I (and others) may have some protection under the ADA. I don't know that I want to spend my life in court though!

NiteQwill
04-23-2009, 5:00 PM
That's a great question since the ADA is a federal law. I would like to know what other, more insightful folks here on the board would have to say on this subject.

Granted, knowing CA law, folks would just resort to saying, "Don't shoot a rifle," but I'd be disappointed to hear that suggestion.

domokun
04-23-2009, 5:06 PM
That's a great question since the ADA is a federal law. I would like to know what other, more insightful folks here on the board would have to say on this subject.

Granted, knowing CA law, folks would just resort to saying, "Don't shoot a rifle," but I'd be disappointed to hear that suggestion.

I think this will be the case. CA will just tell you to shoot a centerfire rifle without a thumbhole stock or use a magazine lock with it as a centerfire rifle with a magazine lock may have a thumbhole stock installed on it. I believe this will be the only way to get around it without spending lots of time in court or in jail. :(

jamesob
04-23-2009, 5:24 PM
i was thinking about this a few weeks ago. they have exemptions with bows and rifles while deer hunting for people that are disabled. to me it sounds like a good lawsuit if you had a ton of money.

calixt0
04-23-2009, 5:40 PM
I would assume that this would be mighty reasons for an "assult weapon" if you can send in a doctors note saying why a regular stocked rifel doesn't work for you in your situations. again I'm certainly no lawyer and can't even begin to imagine how a aw law got passed in the first place.

just my thoughts