PDA

View Full Version : Any of you guys in a Tank, You know driver,gunner,etc.

mk3mitch
04-23-2009, 2:17 PM
Hey guys, I've always been interested in the Military, and if I were to go that route, I think I would be interested in being the guy who directs the tank(But I'm pretty sure you have to be an E-5 to do that). If you have done it, or been in a tank crew, how is it?

resistor
04-23-2009, 2:55 PM
Where to begin?

Tanking is seriously the biggest rush I've ever had, next to good sex. Shooting gunnery is orders of magnitude above most eveything else. Until you do it, you have NO idea.

You start out as a loader usually, progressing to a driver. You'll do that for a few years till you make SGT, after which you can gun. There are exceptions, where you might get a chance to gun as a SPC, but its rare. Tank Commanders are generally SSG, SGT on occasion. I believe the USMC will let CPL T/C, but you still have to have enough experience, and that comes after tanking for awhile and learning to manage the demands, as well as proving yourself tactically and technically profficient.

If youre ok with getting dirty, eating sand and mud, skipping showers for weeks on end...go for it. The more comitted you are to your profession the more youll enjoy it. Dont get me wrong, the suck you will embrace, but if you can get over that youll be ok.

Requiem
04-23-2009, 4:04 PM
If youre ok with getting dirty, eating sand and mud, skipping showers for weeks on end...go for it. The more comitted you are to your profession the more youll enjoy it. Dont get me wrong, the suck you will embrace, but if you can get over that youll be ok.

You might as well say that about the entire military ;)

CavTrooper
04-23-2009, 6:46 PM
You might as well say that about the entire military ;)

Air Force...

Requiem
04-23-2009, 8:07 PM
Air Force...

damn... youre right. rofl.

no offense airmen ;) but that's 95% plus true.

MrSlippyFist
04-23-2009, 8:23 PM
Never got to run with the big dogs in an Abrams, but manned every position of a M113, which is the souped up tricycle of the tank world. That was pretty fun. Like a diesel powered soda can on tracks.