PDA

View Full Version : New here (and firearms in general) - Looking to buy a Mossberg 500.

klick81
04-23-2009, 9:02 AM
Hey guys,

I have very little experience shooting firearms, but I just recently moved into a not so friendly neighborhood. Having said that, I do feel a strong need to have a means of protecting my wife and myself in case of a robbery or break-in.

I've been leaning towards purchasing a Mossberg 500 for this purpose, although I have enjoyed shooting clay targets. I understand that this tactical shotgun is not meant for clay target shooting, but my 1st priority is home defense.

I would appreciate input as to where I may purchase a 500 similar to this one:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50420.jpg

I've tried a local gun shop in Culver City and Bass Pro Shop in Rancho Cucamonga, but one pushed the Remington 870 and another only had a 500 with a regular stock only.

Thanks for your help!

etaon
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
I have that exact one and I like it. No idea where you could get one near you, but it's not hard to just buy a regular stock Mossberg 500 and buy a collapsible stock and pistol grip online separately. You can install it yourself very easily.

The 500 tactical comes with an ATI stock and pistol grip. The Knoxx spec-ops collapsible stock with recoil reduction is the one that comes most highly recommended usually.

Turbinator
04-25-2009, 7:40 AM
klick81, welcome aboard, you've come to the right place.

Since this is your first foray into firearms, suggest you take a look at this book "How to own a gun and stay out of jail in CA" - it may not be the ultimate resource but is a 90% what you need to know here in CA. The book isn't too expensive, maybe $15.

You can also continue to hang out here and ask questions of us, we'd be happy to help.

Turby