PDA

View Full Version : Former Marines that Joined the Army roll call

99medic
04-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I'll start

US Marine Corps 1992-2000
US Army 1999-present

Yes folks, I joined while still on active duty in the Marines. I got an earfull from the Sergeant Major and the XO. :confused: Until they found out I was going in as a medic. :thumbsup:

Requiem
04-22-2009, 11:49 PM
interesting. one of the guys at my unit just crossed over from reserve side to active Army. He got to retain his rank. Did you out of curiosity?

99medic
04-23-2009, 2:12 AM
interesting. one of the guys at my unit just crossed over from reserve side to active Army. He got to retain his rank. Did you out of curiosity?

My recruiter was a former Marine and he made sure that I did not lose my rank.

Soldier415
04-23-2009, 4:44 AM
I'll start

US Marine Corps 1992-2000
US Army 1999-present

Yes folks, I joined while still on active duty in the Marines. I got an earfull from the Sergeant Major and the XO. :confused: Until they found out I was going in as a medic. :thumbsup:
I can imagine that must have been a difficult conversation to have :rofl2:

MrLogan
04-23-2009, 7:39 AM
I can imagine that must have been a difficult conversation to have :rofl2:

No kidding! lmao

Darklyte27
04-23-2009, 8:29 AM
Well we can at least still honor you for still serving.
One of my friends is Army reserve for the last 10 years or so, he went to OCS and some how dropped out and automatically signed up for 3 yrs active duty and back in Iraq for a 2nd tour right now.
When he finishes up he wants to go chair force now, and after that CHP!!! hahaha crazy friend i tell ya.

Stormfeather
04-23-2009, 8:47 AM
Yup. former devildog, now an army dog. . . not sure whats next. .

Soldier415
04-23-2009, 8:56 AM
Yup. former devildog, now an army dog. . . not sure whats next. .
Ahoy Sailor!

:chris:

biglou
04-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Just curious. Was it easier to be an Army medic than a Navy Corpsman ? BTW I'm not knocking Army Medics. Anyone serving is appreciated.
:79:

USMCALLEN
04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Just curious. Was it easier to be an Army medic than a Navy Corpsman ? BTW I'm not knocking Army Medics. Anyone serving is appreciated.

I would think standards would be the same. I dont know much about army medics but Navy Corpsman do pretty much the same duties as a nurse in civillian side. Since most Marine Forces are first to fight like my battalion. Corpsmans are our lifesavers, they train hard with the marine units in preparation for deployment. Either way I think both are challenging.

Manong0369
04-23-2009, 10:52 AM
You have to remember that there are two sides for our beloved Corpman, the green side and the blue side. Those that serve in the green side, with the Marine units, have to go through FMSS, or Field Medical Service School (7 weeks?), that prepares them to able to work in the field with Marines. Regardless if it's "Corpsman Up!" or "Medic!" thank GOD for them. Semper Fi!

99medic
04-23-2009, 10:55 AM

It's about the same. Just each one takes a different route to the same place. For example, Army medics are trained right off the bat in field medicine and later on could sign up for M6 school, (LVN). While the Navy corpsman, (any corpsmans out there please correct me) goes through a LVN type school initially and later goes to FMSS school is they decide to go green side.

99medic
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I would think standards would be the same. I dont know much about army medics but Navy Corpsman do pretty much the same duties as a nurse in civillian side. Since most Marine Forces are first to fight like my battalion. Corpsmans are our lifesavers, they train hard with the marine units in preparation for deployment. Either way I think both are challenging.

That is so true. The standards are the same. I always get the B.S. rivalry with Corpsmans in Pendelton when I bring in a patient. Usually by a junior corpsman who does not know any better.

It does not matter what service you are health care providers still have to follow the universal "Standard of Care".

99medic
04-23-2009, 11:08 AM
You have to remember that there are two sides for our beloved Corpman, the green side and the blue side. Those that serve in the green side, with the Marine units, have to go through FMSS, or Field Medical Service School (7 weeks?), that prepares them to able to work in the field with Marines. Regardless if it's "Corpsman Up!" or "Medic!" thank GOD for them. Semper Fi!

Just a heads up, DOD is in the process of consolidating medical assets under one roof. So don't be surprised that you might be deploying with a Army or Airforce medic in the future.

Actually, I am deploying out in a few months and I have Navy Corpsmans working with me.

Army GI
04-23-2009, 7:23 PM
While I don't have a lot of experience, most if not all of the former Marines I've met that have crossed over to the army make it known that they regret it. We are like a lower form of life to a lot of them.

Saigon1965
04-23-2009, 7:25 PM
I highly doubt that - LOL -

Ahoy Sailor!

CavTrooper
04-23-2009, 7:55 PM
ISince most Marine Forces are first to fight like my battalion.

Please tell me when and where the Marines have been the "first to fight"?

Manong0369
04-23-2009, 8:41 PM
Marines have always felt that we are the first to fight because of our seaborne capabilities. Yes, we are not as big as the Army, but can be there quicker. We can be off the coast of a hostile country with the ability to put boots on the ground with armor, artillery and air power (both Navy and Marine Corps). Somalia seen the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) land first. In Afghanistan, the 11th MEU was one of the first ground troops in country taking Camp Rhino. Luckily, I was part of that operation.Yes there were Army units (Special Forces) but not in the since of regular ground troops. Marines may not be the first to fight, but we have the ability to be the first to fight. This may not satisfy or answer your question but that's my honest opinion. (Prior Army 11B/13F but 0311/0369 all the way!)

Desert_Rat
04-23-2009, 8:48 PM
While I don't have a lot of experience, most if not all of the former Marines I've met that have crossed over to the army make it known that they regret it. We are like a lower form of life to a lot of them.

Former Marine here 1994-1998
Joined CARNG 1998-2001

For me it wasn't a "LOWER FORM OF LIFE" thing,as much as it was a complete different community.In said community, I fit in as well as a square peg in a round hole.So I only got along with a small handful of Soldiers.It seemed like every time I turned around somebody was testing or challenging my knowledge, or experience in some fashion or another.

99medic
04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Former Marine here 1994-1998
Joined CARNG 1998-2001

For me it wasn't a "LOWER FORM OF LIFE" thing,as much as it was a complete different community.In said community, I fit in as well as a square peg in a round hole.So I only got along with a small handful of Soldiers.It seemed like every time I turned around somebody was testing or challenging my knowledge, or experience in some fashion or another.

I experienced the same thing ever since I switched over.

USMCALLEN
04-25-2009, 10:37 AM

Iraq invasion in 2003 lead by RCT 5 first to cross the border to start the war first to sweep through and get to bagdhad exceeding the predictions on when we will make it there. Took over one of saddams palace and set up shop there for all other forces to come in and setup. After that were sent home because we did our job and army turn to take over.

Army GI
04-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Iraq invasion in 2003 lead by RCT 5 first to cross the border to start the war first to sweep through and get to bagdhad exceeding the predictions on when we will make it there. Took over one of saddams palace and set up shop there for all other forces to come in and setup. After that were sent home because we did our job and army turn to take over. To be honest I was quite dissapointed with the airborne forces on my second tour in fallujah when were sent to relieve them because of so many deaths and casualties. Thats the only reason marines were called back because they couldnt hold the fort. The airbornes tactics at that time was if they patrol and get shot at they run back to base. That happen when we did our ride along with them hahaha. Marine tactics you get shot at you hunt them down and make sure it dosent happen again.
You're talking about the 101st, right? I heard from some 82nd AB troops that they weren't doing too well which is why they got sent in to relieve them.

USMCALLEN
04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
You're talking about the 101st, right? I heard from some 82nd AB troops that they weren't doing too well which is why they got sent in to relieve them.

Yeah I think we relieved the 101st

Soldier415
04-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm under the 101st right now

Manong0369
04-25-2009, 11:51 AM

My experience goes the other way for me. After joining the CA NG, I went RA then got out and did some college time. After two years, I joined the Marines, after jumping through hoops to get in. Aside from going to basic training, or boot camp again, I joined my unit without a hitch. However, I did know another prior Army who had a hard time adjusting. The mentality was just different in the since of pride one got being called Marine. In our service uniforms, no one knows what MOS you are, but in the Army it's all about what you wear. IMO it seems that if you aren't Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger, SF or wear that blue cord in general, you are nothing special. Don't get me wrong. Every MOS is essential to fight the fight, but thid is what I see and felt.

dwa
04-25-2009, 2:41 PM

don't you know the marines are the only ones to ever fight anything anywhere. the army just comes in to occupy.

CavTrooper
04-25-2009, 4:09 PM
Iraq invasion in 2003 lead by RCT 5 first to cross the border to start the war first to sweep through and get to bagdhad exceeding the predictions on when we will make it there. Took over one of saddams palace and set up shop there for all other forces to come in and setup. After that were sent home because we did our job and army turn to take over.

So tell me.. .

Where was 3ID( 1-64AR, 3-15INF, 3-7CAV) , 173AB, 101AB, while all this Marine butt-kickin was going on?

Which Marine corps unit was it that swept through Bahgdad? Was that before or after the "Thunder Run"?

USMCALLEN
04-25-2009, 5:09 PM
So tell me.. .

Where was 3ID( 1-64AR, 3-15INF, 3-7CAV) , 173AB, 101AB, while all this Marine butt-kickin was going on?

Which Marine corps unit was it that swept through Bahgdad? Was that before or after the "Thunder Run"?

The 3rd ID was in the area along with us. You can check all the history books and it will tell you. They publicized much of the thunder run but we were already there they just took another area. Marines particularly 1/5, 2/5/, 2/4/ and 3/5 were all there. We even were on the news about the fact we moved so fast logistics couldnt keep up with us which meant we had to ration water and mre's. After we made it to bagdhad and took over Saddams main palace alot of army forces started to come in to take over. We even did special missions to find intel with Army Special Forces. After that we turn everything over to the army and then we were sent home because we did our job. The thunder run was just an operation to push to bagdhad from another direction it dosent say the first, marines came from the south all the way up north our other attachement 2/4 marines took most of the east. The airborne was still holding down najaf. 3rd ID armor probably made it to one of the palaces first but it was mostly marine infantry that took majority of bagdhad and after just turned over to the army. We have our story similar to the thunder run called the gauntlet.

goathead
04-25-2009, 5:29 PM
The 3rd ID was in the area along with us. You can check all the history books and it will tell you. They publicized much of the thunder run but we were already there they just took another area. Marines particularly 1/5, 2/5/, 2/4/ and 3/5 were all there. We even were on the news about the fact we moved so fast logistics couldnt keep up with us which meant we had to ration water and mre's. After we made it to bagdhad and took over Saddams main palace alot of army forces started to come in to take over. We even did special missions to find intel with Army Special Forces. After that we turn everything over to the army and then we were sent home because we did our job. The thunder run was just an operation to push to bagdhad from another direction it dosent say the first, marines came from the south all the way up north our other attachement 2/4 marines took most of the east. The airborne was still holding down najaf. 3rd ID armor probably made it to one of the palaces first but it was mostly marine infantry that took majority of bagdhad and after just turned over to the army. We have our story similar to the thunder run called the gauntlet.

her comes the BS

99medic
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I guess this thread turned into a "I got a bigger dick contest"

biglou
04-29-2009, 1:53 PM
One of my Devil Dog co-workers was one of many Marines that was first to sweep thru Baghdad. USMCALLEN explained it well. Read your history. Marines don't need a act of Congress. The President just has to say those famous three words "Send the Marines !". Semper Fi

CavTrooper
04-29-2009, 4:47 PM
One of my Devil Dog co-workers was one of many Marines that was first to sweep thru Baghdad. USMCALLEN explained it well. Read your history. Marines don't need a act of Congress. The President just has to say those famous three words "Send the Marines !". Semper Fi

Im having a hard time finding all this "history", all I can seem to find is 10thSFG, 3ID, 101st and 173rd....

goathead
04-29-2009, 5:14 PM
Im having a hard time finding all this "history", all I can seem to find is 10thSFG, 3ID, 101st and 173rd....

CAN I GET A HOOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fat_Rat
05-05-2009, 9:18 PM
Good article on teamwork Marines rescure army pups can we all get along.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/13/sprj.irq.war.main/index.html

Marines free seven U.S. POWs in Iraq
Sunday, April 13, 2003 Posted: 11:10 PM EDT (0310 GMT)

Seven U.S. POWs were recovered safely in Iraq. CNN's Bob Franken

TIKRIT, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. Marines advancing on Tikrit -- the last major Iraqi city not under coalition control -- freed seven U.S. prisoners of war Sunday before racing to the front.

The POWs were recovered by Marines who had been sent into Samarra to keep traffic from interfering with an armored column approaching the battle, Brig. Gen. John Kelly told Matthew Fisher, a reporter with Canada's National Post newspaper. Samarra is about 75 miles [120 kilometers] north of Baghdad.

An Iraqi policeman approached the Marines and asked if they had come for the prisoners. He led the Marines to a nearby building, Fisher reported, where they found the seven Americans guarded by at least one Iraqi soldier.

The Marines surrounded the prisoners to assure them they wouldn't be abandoned and gave them fresh clothes, Fisher said. They were given first aid and then whisked away on Army helicopters to a coalition air base 65 miles [104 kilometers] south of Baghdad. (Dramatic rescue)

U.S. Central Command identified the freed POWs as Spc. Joseph Hudson, Sgt. James Riley, Spc. Shoshana Johnson, Spc. Edgar Hernandez and Pfc. Patrick Miller -- members of a convoy from the U.S. Army's 507th Maintenance Company that was ambushed March 23 near Nasiriya -- and chief warrant officers Ronald Young Jr. and David S. Williams, pilots who were captured March 24 after their Apache helicopter gunship went down south of Baghdad.

99medic
05-06-2009, 5:44 PM
Hesus H. Christ!

This was suppose to be a friendly rollcall of former Marines that is currently serving in the Army.

Not a I have a bigger green weenie contest.

Let's keep this civilized.

gwl
05-08-2009, 6:50 AM
Okay, I guess I'll come out of the closest. I enlisted in the Army after the Marines too.

Having a great time I might add. Finally doing the MOS I was originally supposed to do.

Hey 99medic, I like your avatar. Gives me flashbacks to the days of putting promotion packets together.

steelrain82
10-11-2009, 12:10 AM
i know this is an old thread but every unit thinks they were the first into iraq. special forces units are obviously different because who truly knows except the government. i do know that in invading iraq as far as regular units go 1st bn 5th marines were the first in. they went in before anyone else to secure the ramalla (sp) oil fields before they were destroyed they were also the first unit to lose a man. also the first units to start the war were to secure the off shore oil platforms and were a combined unit of (navy seals, marine fast co. and the polish grom who had an airforce controller with them i believe.) we had a guy from the army who joined the marines and he said the marines had a greater sense of comraderie and esprit de corps than the army. we also had a guy join the army but he was killed. usmcallen you have a pm inbound.

ilbob
10-11-2009, 8:55 AM
Years ago I used to shoot with a guy who had been in the active Navy and AF, and then in the army NG.

He went to basic training 3 times, the last one was an abbreviated version for people going from one branch of the service to the army.

I have not seen him in a long while. He retired and moved somewhere warmer 10 or 15 years ago or so. He had a lot of good stories.

Wango Tango
10-17-2009, 4:52 PM
I got out of the USMC in June of 08 and I am going active army Feb 2010.

Joe
04-12-2010, 1:48 AM
Just curious. What are your guys reasons for going army?

desmark6
04-12-2010, 6:39 AM
I did it as well. Marines from 1/96 to 11/03, my primary MOS was an 0341 and I was the Forward Observer Squad Leader for 81's WPNS 1st Bn 5th Mar.

I left 1/5 on 9-1-01, to go train recruits, little did I know 10 days later we would be going to war.

So, I did everything including talking to the Commandant to get released from training recruits and get sent back to 1/5. HQ Marine Corps decided promoting me to SSGT and giving me orders to recruiting duty was a better idea.

So, I got out of the Marines, walked into a CA National Guard office. When they asked what I wanted to do in the Army, I told them I wanted to go to Iraq to serve my country. After the recruiter quit laughing and regained his composure he was able to as me if I was serious, since every one else had been asking just the oposite, wanting to know IF THEY WOULD HAVE TO GO since they just needed the college money!!!

Needless to say, 6 weeks later (Marines DO NOT have to repeat boot camp to join another service, although I believe we have to go through 8 weeks of sensitivity training before joining the Air Force!! LOL) I was on a plane headed to Ft. Hood for pre-mob training and then off to the Sandbox.

I went in on a "try 1" contract, but I fell for the tax free 15,000 bonus while in country.

Never got to spend any of that money though, the ex-wife spent it all taking vacations with the SOB that lived next door.

So, I am now divorced, lost my house and re-enlistment bonus and came home to a checking account that she had overdrawn by $1200 and an Army contract that doesnt end until 10-2011!!!! Things that make ya say, Darn it, that was dumb!!!!

Oh well, at least I got to come home in one piece, SFC Lawson did not get to come home with us, and he is missed.

Anyway, that's my sad little story of how I got "stuck" in the Army. I agree with some of the other posts, about the only people in the unit I get along with are also former Marines.

If I had it to do all over again, would I? Absolutely, no greater honor than fighting for your country and leading men into battle. Semper Fi!!!!!!

famas619
04-14-2010, 2:39 PM
99Medic, keep up the good work. Former marine here and currently in the CA National Guard. I dont regret it. I just hate hearing all the im better this and that. We all sacrifice and we should respect that.

Josh3239
04-14-2010, 3:09 PM
Just curious. What are your guys reasons for going army?

I'm wondering the same thing. What made you guys decide to make the switch?

odysseus
04-14-2010, 3:11 PM
Ahoy Sailor!

LOL.

or:

U pilot?

J_B
04-15-2010, 1:02 AM
USMC '93-'97. Waited till my career in LEO was grounded and my divorce was done before I went back.

USAR '09-present

J_B
04-15-2010, 1:06 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. What made you guys decide to make the switch?

I went to the USMC recruiter and they were good to go till they saw my full sleeve tattoo. That's when they told me about the new tattoo policy so I waited for a bit till my lil brother got back from his 3rd tour in the box and we went to the USAR together.

Plus, my uncle was a SFC in SF and he had passed away. He told me that he had always wanted me to go Army when I had joined the Corps. I figured I'd honor his wish even though it was a little late. He had treated me like a son.

Dooly
04-17-2010, 10:40 PM
wow lots of marines in here

kwest10
04-20-2010, 10:46 PM
99Medic, keep up the good work. Former marine here and currently in the CA National Guard. I dont regret it. I just hate hearing all the im better this and that. We all sacrifice and we should respect that.

How is the CA NG from USMC? I've been thinking about the same thing and going to NG OCS. Is NG OCS like Army OCS? If you wash out you're still contract obligated as enlisted?

99medic
04-23-2010, 4:31 AM

HOOORAH!!!

ReconDoc242
04-28-2010, 12:40 AM
I did the 18D in two services Navy and Army....I can tell you what happens when operators in the Marine Corps, Navy, and Army look like when you tell them that the girly in the last two/port gave them a going away present if you catch my drift....other then that I can truly say grunts are equally retarded in all services...and Marines generally shoot better.

Desert_Rat
04-28-2010, 9:04 PM
^^ Classic!^^
I got Super pissed off when one of My Lance Corporals came to Me aboard the USS Harpers Ferry and said "Sgt.I think I have crabs" So "I asked how long have You thought this?" He says "about 3 days" I hit the roof! 3 days with this guy and crabs in the forward bearthing area aboard the Harpers Ferry!(really small bearth) I made Him field Day that place by Himself.and still others caught the crabs.

99medic
04-30-2010, 8:43 AM
^^ Classic!^^
I got Super pissed off when one of My Lance Corporals came to Me aboard the USS Harpers Ferry and said "Sgt.I think I have crabs" So "I asked how long have You thought this?" He says "about 3 days" I hit the roof! 3 days with this guy and crabs in the forward bearthing area aboard the Harpers Ferry!(really small bearth) I made Him field Day that place by Himself.and still others caught the crabs.

AHH... Reminds me of my deployments with the MEU. Long line at sickbay with stinging pee symptoms. :43:

J_B
04-30-2010, 9:13 AM
One of my PFCs in my squad had a sore throat after libo. Walks up, pulls me aside and starts talking to me in this horrible, hoarse voice.

Tells me he ate the banana several times at the banana show. Gross.

California Major
04-30-2010, 9:55 AM
Happy to have you --

99medic
04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
One of my PFCs in my squad had a sore throat after libo. Walks up, pulls me aside and starts talking to me in this horrible, hoarse voice.

Damn... She's still there doing the show? I fist saw that show in 1993.

desmark6
04-30-2010, 3:41 PM
Ewwwww, havent seen that since 96.....whats wrong with us, guess it's like a car wreck, you dont really want to see it but you can't seem to quit looking................

99medic
05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Ewwwww, havent seen that since 96.....whats wrong with us, guess it's like a car wreck, you dont really want to see it but you can't seem to quit looking................

That's a fact..

My buddy got hit in the side of the head with the banana slice from across the room.

I think she shot expert on the range with her vagigi cannon.:)

buffybuster
05-01-2010, 7:58 AM

Thanks for digging up the long buried memory......:puke:

VictorFranko
05-01-2010, 8:33 AM
Not me, but my friend did two tours in Vietnam as a Marine (six years in all),
then left the Marines for the Army Special Forces.
I think he spent the next 30 years in the Army and Reserve.
He was born for Special Forces and loved it.

11Z50
05-01-2010, 1:49 PM
I was Army, but thru my career I served with the USMC quite a bit. Did Amphib Warfare course in '77, then did a Kernal Blitz with 3-5 in '99. I also worked with the 1st LAR quite a bit in 2001-2002. I talked to few buddies from 1 LAR when I was in Kuwait in 2003, right before the shooting started. Many good friends form those days. I have a few wall-hangers from the USMC. Great times once they get over the inter-service rivalry.

Seesm
05-02-2010, 7:04 PM

THAT is SOOO FREAKING GROSS!!!

Desert_Rat
05-02-2010, 9:14 PM
Gross,sure,but He was the coolest cat on the block for the rest of that night:chris: