PDA

View Full Version : can Nordyke be used for other weapons? knife, nunchuck, asp etc?

gunsmith
04-22-2009, 2:34 PM
knife law is less clear than gun law, can we straighten it out with Nordyke?
Nunchukau were banned in the 70's because kids were using them due to the influence of Bruce Lee movies ( LOL, that's why I like them )
I do not like asp/collapsible batons but others do.
I would love to be able to carry and work out with chuks again.

Knives are great weapons, but without preemption it can be a little scary to carry

CCWFacts
04-22-2009, 2:37 PM
I hope all those cases come after a whole lot of firearms-related cases have been decided.

nicki
04-22-2009, 2:41 PM
Can I carry my "Swords":43:

I figure if I were a Kimono, they will match my outfit:rolleyes:

Nicki:p

Calguns2000
04-22-2009, 2:48 PM
Remember, the right protected by the 2A applies to "arms", not just firearms. Nordyke incorporates the 2A against the states in the 9th circuit, so the courts in those states must now respect the fact that the 2A protects an individual right to keep and bear "arms" in those states. Exactly which "arms" are protected and which are not will have to be decided in future cases (but we know that handguns in the home are protected, since that was the core holding of Heller).

There is currently a 2A case regarding nunchuks that is being appealed to the Supreme Court of the US (there is no guarantee the Supreme Court will hear the case)--so its possible you will have your answer regarding whether nunchuks are protected "arms" sooner rather than later: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/mvc.html

Untamed1972
04-22-2009, 2:50 PM
Can I carry my "Swords":43:

I figure if I were a Kimono, they will match my outfit:rolleyes:

Nicki:p

I carry mine at the Ren Fair every year! :thumbsup:

AND...the Ren Fair here locally is held in a county park!! :eek:

lioneaglegriffin
04-22-2009, 3:16 PM
i guess so, so long as they aren't unusual so i guess nijato's are off the table, balisongs (butterfly) knives i dont know how popular they are in other states. Auto's would be last i suppose to challenge. i would love to have a benchmade infidel :43:.

http://www.knifeshop.com/shop/ProdukteBilder/4516_gr.jpg
mmmmmnnnnnnmmmmmm looks good

yellowfin
04-22-2009, 3:41 PM
Please no nunchuks!!!! It's bad enough I gotta go work with folks to deal with that dimwit Maloney. :(
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs004.snc1/2797_679632050035_27431207_40564488_2427994_n.jpg

GunSlinga
04-22-2009, 6:46 PM
Is that really a picture of Maloney? If you look at his picture on this site, www.nunchakulaw.com, and age it a few yaers to lose some hair it could be the same guy..

Librarian
04-22-2009, 9:14 PM
Please no nunchuks!!!! It's bad enough I gotta go work with folks to deal with that dimwit Maloney. :(

When I learned, our instructor told us he had worn his motorcycle helmet while starting with nunchaku. :) He got past it; so did I (though I never got any good at them).

As written, our CCW law is really a concealed handgun law PC 12050 (a)
may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person I don't expect there will be a lot of clamor for concealed Kobudo implements from the general public.

gunsmith
04-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Remember, the right protected by the 2A applies to "arms", not just firearms. Nordyke incorporates the 2A against the states in the 9th circuit, so the courts in those states must now respect the fact that the 2A protects an individual right to keep and bear "arms" in those states. Exactly which "arms" are protected and which are not will have to be decided in future cases (but we know that handguns in the home are protected, since that was the core holding of Heller).

There is currently a 2A case regarding nunchuks that is being appealed to the Supreme Court of the US (there is no guarantee the Supreme Court will hear the case)--so its possible you will have your answer regarding whether nunchuks are protected "arms" sooner rather than later: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/mvc.html

thats the guy that got incorporation squashed in that east coast circuit? 2nd circuit iirc?
I wouldn't trust him to fix a parking ticket.
I aint going back east anytime soon, I wanna carry chucks out west where I belong.

Quiet
04-23-2009, 1:22 AM
"PC 12050 (a)
may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person"

As written, our CCW law is really a concealed handgun law I don't expect there will be a lot of clamor for concealed Kobudo implements from the general public.

Wouldn't "other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person" also include AOWs?

:Pirate:

CA_Libertarian
04-23-2009, 9:35 AM
I hope all those cases come after a whole lot of firearms-related cases have been decided.

I don't see why the two can't happen at the same time.

dragonbait1a
04-23-2009, 10:11 AM
If Heller+incorporation is used to challenge non-gun "weapon" laws I'd like it to overturn the felony Possession or batons and clubs (as the definition is so broad that almost anyone can be arrested for it) and Felony Concealed carry of a "dirk or Dagger" which is so wide as to say a screwdriver in a toolbag is a felony.

Clubs, batons and knives/dirks/daggers etc are not unusual weapons. These laws criminalize simple possession and carry of the commonest weapons of the last thousand years. They make many unsuspecting people felons and are too arbitrarily enforced.

YMMV

RGB

SwissFluCase
04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
If Heller+incorporation is used to challenge non-gun "weapon" laws I'd like it to overturn the felony Possession or batons and clubs (as the definition is so broad that almost anyone can be arrested for it) and Felony Concealed carry of a "dirk or Dagger" which is so wide as to say a screwdriver in a toolbag is a felony.

Clubs, batons and knives/dirks/daggers etc are not unusual weapons. These laws criminalize simple possession and carry of the commonest weapons of the last thousand years. They make many unsuspecting people felons and are too arbitrarily enforced.

YMMV

RGB

+1. A simple stick ought to be protected. Anything else is just insanity. There is enough evidence that these laws were intended to disarm minorities that they should be repealed under 2A/Equal protection laws right there.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

AJAX22
04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't "other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person" also include AOWs?

:Pirate:

Yes, in adition to C&R SBS pistols ;)

gunsmith
04-23-2009, 11:33 AM
+1. A simple stick ought to be protected. Anything else is just insanity. There is enough evidence that these laws were intended to disarm minorities that they should be repealed under 2A/Equal protection laws right there.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

chuks were outlawed due to young Chinese kids wielding them, switch blades I think were favored by "west side story" poor kids of white & latino...and outlawing clubs discriminates against us Cro-Mags!

Freedom, so simple even a cave man can understand it.

ilbob
04-23-2009, 11:50 AM

Regards,

SwissFluCase
Regardless of why they were enacted, they are applied across the board, so I doubt you will get a whole lot of traction there.

GuyW
04-23-2009, 7:11 PM
As written, our CCW law is really a loaded gun law

fixed it.

elSquid
04-23-2009, 11:32 PM

Yup. While it wouldn't be my first choice, if somebody wants to carry a tonfa for personal defense I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to.

As for me, I'm buying one of these:

http://theinfosphere.org/images/thumb/4/45/Ceremonial_Killamajig_Open.png/225px-Ceremonial_Killamajig_Open.png

-- Michael