PDA

View Full Version : serial number different from paperwork

oceanwest
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
This might sound like a dumb question but it seems like a good idea these days to cross all t's an dot all i's.

I just bought a new rifle from a local dealer's shop. After the Ten day wait I went to pick it up and they handed me a different gun than the one all the paperwork was done on. This one was still in the box and hadn't been on the shelf like the other one. When I got home I realized that the sales receipt (the only paperwork I have for the gun) shows a different serial number.

Is this a problem?

I have never not had the serial number of a gun not match all my paperwork, but I thought I would ask before going back into the store.

(I did try searching but didn't find what I was looking for)

Thanks!

Blackhawk556
04-22-2009, 11:39 AM
sounds like your clear then :)

BONECUTTER
04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Rilfe serials are not important like handguns. No numbers are registered to you.

They probably started the paperwork with a make/model and filled out the serial number with a new rifle when you can in to pick up. Thats fine.

You can call and ask them what number is on the 4473. If it matches your gun you are fine. If not go back and have them fix the paperwork. But it has nothing to do with the state.

DROSing a long gun does not record and numbers, make, or model.

oceanwest
04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks Bonecutter! I was worried there for a minute. So is form 4473 DROS?

Is the serial only important for warranty then?

BONECUTTER
04-22-2009, 11:59 AM

4473 is the federal form that is filled out in all states. It shows what gun came into the FFL and what went out.

Warranty would be what ever the manufacturer needs.

oceanwest
04-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Got it now, thanks!

CHS
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
4473 is the yellow booklet you filled out.

DROS is the white sheet that you signed and thumbprinted.

4473 is federal (and where serial numbers are very important), DROS is for the state and unless for a handgun, SN's don't matter.

Sgt Raven
04-22-2009, 2:24 PM

For warranty purposes you might want to get your sales receipt corrected. :thumbsup:

jrcarr2
04-22-2009, 2:29 PM
For warranty purposes you might want to get your sales receipt corrected. :thumbsup:

Now I've never sent a firearm in to a manufacturer for warranty work, but do they request the receipt? My dad has done this many times and I can't recall him ever saying that they have asked him for such.

Heck, he's sent in guns he bought from someone at a gun show (he lives in NM) and they do the work without asking.

sfpcservice
04-22-2009, 2:52 PM
isn't form 4473 the form that the invaders in Red Dawn were looking for to determine who in the town had weapons?

deleted by PC police
04-22-2009, 3:02 PM
I believe this could be a problem for the FFL down the road. You should at least call him, he may log out the same weapon twice and have no record of your weapon going out. I'm sure the ATF would want to kill the ffl's first born child for that.

CHS
04-22-2009, 3:04 PM
isn't form 4473 the form that the invaders in Red Dawn were looking for to determine who in the town had weapons?

Yup!

oceanwest
04-22-2009, 6:26 PM
I called the FFL and they say that they switched the number to my new gun, and everything is proper. Whatever it is that they did they said they couldn't do it for a handgun but for a rifle it was OK.