PDA

View Full Version : School Zone

xzw151
04-22-2009, 10:48 AM
So I just moved into a new appartment, all excited, and then a few days later it dawns on me I'm in a school zone :kest: So I tried to look up the law and got confused, tried to use the forum search tool and failed miserably, so I will ask the question to you. I only have long rifles, what do I have to do to stay legal, and does any of this apply to my residence or can I still store my long arms as I choose in the appartment. My M-1 Carbine is my go to gun so I store it unloaded with the magazine near by.

Roadrunner
04-22-2009, 10:53 AM
So I just moved into a new appartment, all excited, and then a few days later it dawns on me I'm in a school zone :kest: So I tried to look up the law and got confused, tried to use the forum search tool and failed miserably, so I will ask the question to you. I only have long rifles, what do I have to do to stay legal, and does any of this apply to my residence or can I still store my long arms as I choose in the appartment. My M-1 Carbine is my go to gun so I store it unloaded with the magazine near by.

If I understand the law 626.9 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=4264556929+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve) exempts people that own residential and business property adjacent to school property. I believe it also makes an exception for firearms that are locked in a container in the trunk of your car.

DDT
04-22-2009, 10:54 AM
AFAIK Nothing changes inside your home. Since you live in an apartment you will need to have them in a locked case for transport to/from your car.

Librarian
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
DDT has it.

See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones

Untamed1972
04-22-2009, 2:29 PM
So does the truck of the car qualify as a locked case? Or does it have to be in a seperate locked case while in the trunk?

This is something I am concerned, especially if the 1500ft zone goes into effect.

Seems kinda silly, because as the crow flys I am at least within 1500ft of a school, although on block over and there are 2-3 other houses between my house and the school.

It's crap like that makes me think the school zone thing needs to be reduced to school property only. Or even now the school zone thing should only apply during hours of school operation. Would seem stupid to get dinged in a school zone at 2am when there is no one around.

Librarian
04-22-2009, 3:41 PM
Trunk qualifies, but getting the gun from your house or apartment to the vehicle may require the locked case, if that path takes you across public-access property such as a sidewalk or a shared parking lot.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
So does the truck of the car qualify as a locked case? Or does it have to be in a seperate locked case while in the trunk

Trunk qualifies

Firearm in trunk, driving onto school property to pick up / drop off kids. Ok? Need a locked case? Not ok at all?

tombinghamthegreat
04-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Trunk qualifies, but getting the gun from your house or apartment to the vehicle may require the locked case, if that path takes you across public-access property such as a sidewalk or a shared parking lot.

I have heard something on this forum that since the federal law is not really enforceable, the state law only applies meaning that the school zone would only apply to concealable handguns. Long guns could just be carried though a school zone without a lock assuming the federal law does not play a role?

Librarian
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I have heard something on this forum that since the federal law is not really enforceable, the state law only applies meaning that the school zone would only apply to concealable handguns. Long guns could just be carried though a school zone without a lock assuming the federal law does not play a role?

Yes.

But I'm not comfortable asserting "the federal law is not really enforceable" as a basis for action.

DDT
04-24-2009, 12:22 PM
AFAIK the federal law is still enforceable. It will almost certainly not withstand scrutiny but that would require a lawsuit. There are better ways to created standing than getting tossed in jail.