PDA

View Full Version : Can you OC in

Striker08
04-22-2009, 9:41 AM
National forest's in CA???

Thanks

gunsmith
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
generally yes, but do a search, there is a ton of info...the issue has been talked about ad infinitum

pullnshoot25
04-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes, you can. Lots of places restrict discharge to shooting areas or hunting, but the easiest way to get around that is to get your Hunter's Safety certificate, as coyote and pigs are always in season.

demnogis
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes, you can OC in national forests. You cannot however OC within a national/state park within a national forest, or in national or state parks in general. Possession and carrying of firearms within national and state parks is strictly prohibited. The only way to keep a firearm even at your campsite is if the firearms is not readily operable and locked up.

MP301
04-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Yes, you can OC in national forests. You cannot however OC within a national/state park within a national forest, or in national or state parks in general. Possession and carrying of firearms within national and state parks is strictly prohibited. The only way to keep a firearm even at your campsite is if the firearms is not readily operable and locked up.

Can you provide statute for this? It doesnt sound correct, but i would like confirmation on your info please..thanks!

Quiet
04-23-2009, 1:26 AM
Yes, you can. Lots of places restrict discharge to shooting areas or hunting, but the easiest way to get around that is to get your Hunter's Safety certificate, as coyote and pigs are always in season.

If you are "hunting" pigs, you'll need to get a Resident Wild Pig Tag in addition to your Resident Hunting License.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntdescrip.html

cineski
04-23-2009, 8:27 AM
I'm not sure about state parks, but while camping, your campsite is considered your home and you can conceal carry.

The only way to keep a firearm even at your campsite is if the firearms is not readily operable and locked up.

pullnshoot25
04-23-2009, 8:47 AM
If you are "hunting" pigs, you'll need to get a Resident Wild Pig Tag in addition to your Resident Hunting License.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/hunting/huntdescrip.html

Coyotes don't need a license, right?

fairfaxjim
04-23-2009, 9:54 AM
Here is the code:
BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
TITLE 14. NATURAL RESOURCES
DIVISION 3. DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION
CHAPTER 1. GENERAL
This database is current through 4/10/09, Register 2009, No. 15
4313. Weapons and Traps.

(a) No person shall carry, possess or discharge across, in or into any portion of any unit any weapon, firearm, spear, bow and arrow, trap, net, or device capable of injuring, or killing any person or animal, or capturing any animal, or damaging any public or private property, except in underwater parks or designated archery ranges where the Department of Parks and Recreation finds that it is in its best interests.

(b) Nothing herein contained shall be construed in derogation of the use of weapons permitted by law or regulation and to be used for hunting in any unit, or portion thereof, open to hunting.

(c) Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, other unloaded weapons or devices such as traps, nets, and bows and arrows may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.

Note that while (b) allows weapons in areas of state parks/reservations that allow hunting, these are VERY few.

(c) appears to over rule the PC allowing Concealed Carry in campsites unless it is in a manner that "will prevent their ready use."

As another note, the legal department has issued an opinion that peace officers and those with valid CCW's are exempt from the firearms rule:
The California Department of Parks and Recreation through its legal section, has determined that CCR 4313 exempts the following:

1) California Peace Officers who are otherwise permitted to carry firearms
2) Honorably retired California Peace Officers with concealed weapons privileges
3) Citizens with concealed firearms privileges

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Adrian E. Itaya

California State Parks
Public Safety Division

(916) 651-0403

demnogis
04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks fairfaxjim, I was trying to find that section with no luck.

vladbutsky
04-23-2009, 12:46 PM
...any weapon, firearm, spear, bow and arrow, trap, net, or device capable of injuring, or killing any person or animal...

Does it mean I cannot have a knife on me?:confused:

fairfaxjim
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Does it mean I cannot have a knife on me?:confused:

Technically, this law is very broad, and even a pocket knife could be considered to be in violation. I have seen (not first hand) reports of a conversation with a State Park Ranger (in Kern County) where the ranger said knifes are prohibited. When asked about pocket knives. He said the law is so broad that technically a pocket knife is prohibited but he looks at things like that from a commonsense point of view.

I guess you have to trust each rangers sense of "commonsense" and decide if you feel lucky today. I am sure that if ANY knife were to ever be involved in an attack (or a defense of an attack for that matter) then this one would be piled on top of whatever criminal statute they decided to pop you for.

darkshier
04-23-2009, 1:10 PM
Hey all,

I don't post here as much as I should, but I was going to ask this same question. I will be going backpacking in May to the Los Padres National Forest and was going to carry my .45, in my hip holster, loaded, but not one in the chamber. I won't be doing any hunting, nor will I have any hunter's safety certificate or hunting license. Am I going to be in the clear? Or do I have to do unloaded open carry? Or should I just leave it at home? What say you Calguns?!

Thanks everyone,

Randy

MudCamper
04-23-2009, 1:11 PM
Can you provide statute for this? It doesnt sound correct, but i would like confirmation on your info please..thanks!

Operable firearms are not allowed in California State Parks per CCR Title 14, Div 3, Chap 1, s 4313 (a).

Operable firearms are not allowed in National Parks per 36 CFR 2.4 (a).

There are NO exceptions to these rules.

I'm not sure about state parks, but while camping, your campsite is considered your home and you can conceal carry.

You are referring to exceptions to CA PC code 12025 and 12031. These exceptions only prevent you from violating those codes. You still cannot have firearms in State Parks or National Parks because of the codes I listed above. You can never have an unlocked/operable firearm in a State Park or National Park.

National Forests allow firearms. So does BLM land. Only State law applies while in NF and BLM, so LOC (loaded open carry) is legal where shooting is not prohibited and UOC (unloaded open carry) is legal elsewhere. The "campsite = residence" exceptions also apply here so load up in your campsite.

We just had a similar discussion over on OCDO (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/24426.html). The reason people get confused about all this is that we are talking about different laws and federal vs. state law. Just because you may not be violating one law due to an exception (like 12031 in your campsite) does not mean that you are free to violate another law (like CCR Title 14, Div 3, Chap 1, s 4313 (a) or 36 CFR 2.4 (a)).

Now, as for hunting, there is 12027(g) which which exempts you from 12025 while hunting or unloaded while traveling to/from a hunting trip. This still does not allow firearms in State Parks and National Parks. This only applies where hunting is legal, like NF, BLM, and private lands.

MudCamper
04-23-2009, 1:14 PM
I don't post here as much as I should, but I was going to ask this same question. I will be going backpacking in May to the Los Padres National Forest and was going to carry my .45, in my hip holster, loaded, but not one in the chamber. I won't be doing any hunting, nor will I have any hunter's safety certificate or hunting license. Am I going to be in the clear? Or do I have to do unloaded open carry? Or should I just leave it at home? What say you Calguns?!

You can LOC (loaded open carry) where shooting is not prohibited. You can UOC (unloaded open carry) everywhere else. Prohibited areas include: near structures, developed areas, roads, bodies of water. You can load in your campsite.

See: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml
and take this with you: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

darkshier
04-23-2009, 1:17 PM
You can LOC (loaded open carry) where shooting is not prohibited. You can UOC (unloaded open carry) everywhere else. Prohibited areas include: near structures, developed areas, roads, bodies of water. You can load in your campsite.

See: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml
and take this with you: http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Awesome, thank you so much for the quick reply MudCamper! Very much appreciated.

-Randy