PDA

View Full Version : Using Registered AW's

Mojamz
04-22-2009, 5:10 AM
Guys

What is the best procedure to use when bringing legally, CA registered AW's to our local ranges? Should I bring my DOJ letter? Has anyone had any issues?

Thoughts?

Mo

Soldier415
04-22-2009, 5:13 AM
Guys

What is the best procedure to use when bringing legally, CA registered AW's to our local ranges? Should I bring my DOJ letter? Has anyone had any issues?

Thoughts?

Mo
Hi Mo,

Welcome to the forum. I have noticed a few of these threads today from you and it is great that you are seeking to become knowledgable with the firearms laws in this clusterf*cked state.

However, the questions you have asked have already been answered in great detail over the years here on the forums, run a search for the information you are looking for and 9 times out of 10 you will find all the information you need.

Dan

Racer-X
04-22-2009, 5:13 AM
I've never had an issue, although I do keep a photocopy of my DOJ letter in my case just in case...

Mojamz
04-22-2009, 5:44 AM
Will do...thanks Dan!

cousinkix1953
04-22-2009, 6:08 AM
You might to compile a list of the clubs and ranges where you can use them. Registered or not, some gun people pander to the enemy...

Soldier415
04-22-2009, 6:14 AM
You might to compile a list of the clubs and ranges where you can use them. Registered or not, some gun people pander to the enemy...
Good idea, some places are squemish for some odd reason.

SCMA-1
04-22-2009, 7:19 AM
I always carry a copy of my AW registration with me whenever these guns are anywhere besides my home. It spares me the expense/hassle of having to clear myself after being arrested and my property confiscated.

SCMA-1

M1A Rifleman
04-22-2009, 7:21 AM
The best procedure is to comply with the law :confused: Read the requirements for such on DOJ's page. In short, unloaded, and within a locked container. The range needs to be public or you need to have the specific permission from a private property owner. Not required but a good idea is to keep a copy of your registration with your weapon.

Pvt. Cowboy
04-22-2009, 8:56 AM
Keep your papers handy, but don't show them to anyone. If anyone who actively works the range asks if your RAWs are indeed registered, say yes. Anyone else who asks can bug off.

cousinkix1953
04-22-2009, 9:13 AM
Good idea, some places are squemish for some odd reason.
Not everybody who owns guns, thinks that you should have an AR-15 assault rifle. In that case, you will run into privately owned shooting ranges who will give you crap. Look for a NRA affiliated club and join them. The CMP groups might not bother you either because they shoot military weapons most of the time any way.

The Brady Bunch started a NRA spin-off group, for some hunters, who don't give a damn about any other group of gun owners rights. That bunch will cut deals with Dianne Feinstein and sell you out. And that is why we have morons who suggest that the 2nd Amendment is about killing a defenseless animal...

CCWFacts
04-22-2009, 9:29 AM
I always carry a copy of my AW registration with me whenever these guns are anywhere besides my home. It spares me the expense/hassle of having to clear myself after being arrested and my property confiscated.

Me too. It's not required by law but it's a good idea. The AW registration database should be accessible to an LEO from his computer or over the phone, but what if he mistypes the serial and doesn't find it, or the system is somehow not working. Having a copy of the actual letter could prevent a lot of trouble.

bwiese
04-22-2009, 10:18 AM
transport your reg'd AW locked up and unloaded. [Remember,
some car trunks don't really 'lock' as there's a pushbutton on the
dash to open it, and/or the rear seat can fold down for access,
so you might need a locking case in that instance.]

transport your AW directly to/from the range. Don't drive to
the airport or do a dozen errands on your way to/from range.

It's not required for you to carry your reg paperwork. You
probably should carry a copy of it, though, just in case of an
LEO encounter and his radio/MDT is down or the DOJ database
is acting up.

Ranges run by goverment entities (i.e, Parks & Rec depts,
sheriff's offices, etc.) may require you to show your reg paper,
just because a gov't entity really can't have illegal activity on
their premises. Some private ranges will, because they don't
wanna understandably have risk of felonious conduct on their
premises.

DDT
04-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Never Never Never consent to a search if you are stopped or pulled over.

Put Don's phone number in your speed dial.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Don't drive to the airport

Yeah the Fed's get a might touchy about that. Funny thing is SFPDs main range... is on SFO property. I wonder how many people flying into/out of SFO know that they're flying right over an active rifle/pistol range?

jamesob
04-22-2009, 11:02 AM
and another thing, if a police officer by chance contacts you and runs your aw over the radio, he commited a crime and don't let it slide.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-22-2009, 11:15 AM
^interesting.

Citation?

jamesob
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
^interesting.

Citation?

what the punishment is i dont know, but if they did every criminal that has a scanner now knows you have an aw. it might make a good lawsuit.
12288.5. (a) No peace officer or dispatcher shall broadcast over a police radio that an individual has registered, or has obtained a permit to possess, an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle pursuant to this chapter, unless there exists a reason to believe in good faith that one of the following conditions exist:
(1) The individual has engaged, or may be engaged, in criminal conduct.
(2) The police are responding to a call in which the person allegedly committing a criminal violation may gain access to the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle.
(3) The victim, witness, or person who reported the alleged criminal violation may be using the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle to hold the person allegedly committing the criminal violation or may be using the weapon in defense of himself, herself, or other persons.
(b) This section shall not prohibit a peace officer or dispatcher from broadcasting over a police radio that an individual has not registered, or has not obtained a permit to possess, an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle pursuant to this chapter.
(c) This section does not limit the transmission of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle ownership status via law enforcement computers or any other medium that is legally accessible only to peace officers or other authorized personnel.

bigcalidave
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Very interesting. Good to hear!

QuarterBoreGunner
04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Wow, I never knew that.
Oh calguns, I learn something from you everyday.

CavTrooper
04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
transport your reg'd AW locked up and unloaded. [Remember,
some car trunks don't really 'lock' as there's a pushbutton on the
dash to open it, and/or the rear seat can fold down for access,
so you might need a locking case in that instance.]

transport your AW directly to/from the range. Don't drive to
the airport or do a dozen errands on your way to/from range.

It's not required for you to carry your reg paperwork. You
probably should carry a copy of it, though, just in case of an
LEO encounter and his radio/MDT is down or the DOJ database
is acting up.

Ranges run by goverment entities (i.e, Parks & Rec depts,
sheriff's offices, etc.) may require you to show your reg paper,
just because a gov't entity really can't have illegal activity on
their premises. Some private ranges will, because they don't
wanna understandably have risk of felonious conduct on their
premises.

What about BLM land?

cousinkix1953
04-22-2009, 4:47 PM
I'm surprised that isn't mandatory to carry your AW paperwork. Hunters and fishermen can be cited by a game warden, if they aren't wearing their licenses in public view like a patch on a uniform...

bwiese
04-22-2009, 4:58 PM
What about BLM land?

Dunno.

The real issue is not a legal one as much as BLM not really understanding much state law or having direct database access.

Legal reg'd AWs are legal on BLM land (per 2003 memo from Region 5 director) because of express written permission. BLM rangers may not have easy hook-ins to Calif AFS (Automated Firearms System) database so paperwork may be a good idea.

cousinkix1953
04-22-2009, 7:21 PM
Dunno.

The real issue is not a legal one as much as BLM not really understanding much state law or having direct database access.

Legal reg'd AWs are legal on BLM land (per 2003 memo from Region 5 director) because of express written permission. BLM rangers may not have easy hook-ins to Calif AFS (Automated Firearms System) database so paperwork may be a good idea.
I can just hear the BLM guy having to switch to the local CAL-FIRE radio channel and having them run the background check instead...