PDA

View Full Version : AR-22 or GSG-5

Mojamz
04-22-2009, 4:39 AM
There are some pretty cool options in firearms today chambered in .22LR like the GSG-5 and some very cool AR-22 uppers. I'm struggling with which to go with. I have an AR lower sitting around begging to mated with an AR-22 upper BUT that GSG-5 is pretty cool as well.

With limited funds, which would you choose and why?

BTW: I've already ordered the SIG 522 in case someone suggests waiting but it's months before any of us will be able to fondle that gem.

Thanks guys!
Mo

BroncoBob
04-22-2009, 6:14 AM
GSG will only set you back $500-600. Conversion kits for your AR will run you $200. A dedicated upper for your AR will run around $600. Hope this helps.

Mojamz
04-22-2009, 8:36 AM
It would be between a complete .22 upper and the GSG...I guess it will come down to which is better to shoot.

Gator Monroe
04-22-2009, 8:41 AM
Hunters Lodge (SGN vendor) has WASR 22's again ($349.00):thumbsup:

Faust
04-22-2009, 9:02 AM
AR-22 for me 'cause I will develop more skill with the AR platform.

Gator Monroe
04-22-2009, 9:06 AM
AR-22 for me 'cause I will develop more skill with the AR platform.

Skill chasin tiny springs after they launch ?:confused:

raw24
04-22-2009, 9:19 AM
Have you thought about a Ruger 10/22?

Most accurate of the semi 22's IMO.

I have GSG-5, AR 22 conversion and a 10/22. Like the 10/22 the best.

Dismal_Scientist
04-22-2009, 9:22 AM
I went with the Spike's dedicated upper because I also had a lower sitting around. With limited funds, it might be best to go with a GSG.

GSG and dedicated 22 upper are about the same price, but unless your lower is already complete you'd need to add in the cost of LPK, buttstock, etc.

Gator Monroe
04-22-2009, 9:25 AM
Have you thought about a Ruger 10/22?

Most accurate of the semi 22's IMO.

I have GSG-5, AR 22 conversion and a 10/22. Like the 10/22 the best.

I have a Scoped 10/22 International and a WASR 22 and I like the WASR 22 best !

Mojamz
04-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I have a 10/22 and it is awesome but it's really my daughter's gun... would rather something cooler for me.

high_revs
04-22-2009, 1:45 PM
a GSG can run you up if you mod it. or you can keep it down with cheap/clone optics. cheap mounts around 10-15, or get a real mp5 claw for like $40. clonepoints for like $60 or $80, or get a nice eotech or a midpoint of burris or strike fire. then there's airsoft rail that wil require some work from you. then there's the buttstock if you want to change it.

you can easily run the GSG into the $900 range if you mod it up.

Arteel
04-22-2009, 2:13 PM
If you already have the sig on the way, I'd either get the gsg or a .22 conv for one of your other uppers. Me, I'm waiting to see some reviews on the S&W mp15 22lr.

pbrand
04-22-2009, 3:04 PM
I would cancel the sig and build a complete Spike's .22lr AR

bobbyblank
04-22-2009, 5:19 PM
I would say build up the AR lower to a .22 setup. I just dont get all the hype around the GSG5's. What is so great about them? There not any more accurate then any other .22, and as far as "tacticool" goes... For that price, i could get a 10/22 fully tacticooled out and still have have a hundred and some change to spend on ammo. Build up the lower and that way you still get your cool .22 and you can swap it to a standard .223 upper when you want.

high_revs
04-22-2009, 7:39 PM
it's all about tacticool bobbyblank. i meet a lot of people at the range, so it draws attention over the traditional 22's like the ruger. i'll admin, it's less accurate than a modified 10/22 for example. but 'tis kewl and is a conversation striker.

only thing about the .22lr AR is the trigger spring from what someone told me and i read. gotta use a lighter spring for the dedicated upper. (one comment just earlier on this in rimfire i think).

sb_pete
04-23-2009, 1:06 AM
Well here's my take:

This is assuming that you're deciding between a dedicated .22 AR upper and a GSG5 (You already have a 10/22 and a Sig 522 on the way and don't want a .22 AK).

That said, the Spikes and TacSol dedicated .22lr uppers are very nice, very high quality pieces. The GSG-5 looks and feels kinda air-softy. I haven't handled a Sig 522, but they look the same way to me. The dedicated .22lr uppers (especially the Spikes with a Lothar Walther bbl) take points for having that "Real Rifle" look and feel.

The GSG-5 can be made into a shorter config. Rimfire builds only have to meet the federal 26" OAL requirement, NOT the 30" CA centerfire rifle requirement. They still require a 16" bbl though. With a GSG-5, it is easy to have a collapsing or folding stock and a 26" OAL rifle. With an AR, that means just over 30" unless you ditch the buffer tube and go with a folding stock arrangement like the ZM Weapons lower - this is a whole different ball game though. Practically speaking, you are looking at just over 30" as a minimum for dedicated .22 AR's unless you want to shell out a bunch more cash.

If you already have the Sig 522, then you already have a .22lr black rifle carbine clone. The GSG-5 would allow you to also have a black rifle SMG-clone. The dedicated .22lr AR upper would be another carbine clone. OTOH, this would allow you and a buddy to simultaneously shoot carbine clones at imaginary zombies :p.

The AR will be more accurate though. Especially with the Lothar Walther bbl. I have seen one of these compete in a .22lr tactical rifle match and it accorded itself quite well against bolt action target rifles. Olympic biathlon rifles they are not, but they are damned accurate. GSG's are fun, but not terribly accurate.

If you have any old ceiner std capacity mags, you can rebuild them into Black Dog Machine mags and have hi-cap fun. GSG-5 mags are new so you are stuck with 10 rounders unless you magically come into some (possession not being illegal) std capacity mags or work for an agency that allows you to get them.

You probably already have an AR, a dedicated .22lr upper would allow you to practice using low cost .22lr bulk pack and drop mags. Unless you are one of the very few CA owners of an MP5 or clone, a GSG-5 won't be giving you the same training aid benefits.

I can't make your decision for you, but I hope that helps you figure it out (or convinces you to buy both and invite me shooting:thumbsup:).
-Pete

Mojamz
04-23-2009, 4:57 AM
Pete, thanks for taking the time to write such a well thought out opinion...very helpful! I'm leaning towards buying the Spikes dedicated upper for the reasons mentioned above and who knows, funds permitting, I may pick up a GSG in the future.

Thanks to all for your comments

Mo

dchang0
04-23-2009, 8:15 AM
If it helps tip you over on your lean towards the Spike's dedicated, here's my vote: I have one with a Lothar Walther barrel and am damned impressed with its build quality and accuracy. Worth the five month wait! (Yours won't take that long--I ordered just after the election.) It is set up exactly like my regular AR for practice purposes.

pbrand
04-23-2009, 8:28 AM
only thing about the .22lr AR is the trigger spring from what someone told me and i read. gotta use a lighter spring for the dedicated upper. (one comment just earlier on this in rimfire i think).

I have a Spikes dedicated upper and I have a Stag LPK in my 5.56 lower and a RRA LPK in my .22lr lower and neither have had issues with the spring.

I have held a GSG and it looks cool, but feels no where near like my Spikes. Your spikes rifle is a RIFLE. By that I mean it feels just like your AR-15. Everything about it is high quality.

Gator Monroe
04-23-2009, 8:41 AM
WASR 22 is a real rifle that you could bop someone over the head with and not break the stock off or lose half the furniture (You could even take advantage of it's Bayo lug if you weld the ears back on :eek:):thumbsup:

Chunky_lover
04-23-2009, 3:34 PM
The ar upper or gsg5, which ones has had the most problems with, as far as I know its the gsg5. The spikes uppers almost work right out of the box with minimal tuning of the recoil spring, and maybe a lighter hammer spring and filing down of the bolt stop. All can be done easily in a few minutes, where getting a gsg repaired could mean mailing parts in. I know spikes has a lifetime warranty on the parts and there made in the USA. Also no 10 wait for the upper.

Spikes customer service is awesome if needed and they will mail out parts if you break them.

Also if you have old ciener mags you could possibly rebuild them with the 25 round bdm mags, the gsg isnt compatable with anything so your stuck with the 10 rounders.

I do admit the gsg5 is really nice looking and I have had the pleasure of shooting one and its a blast but there are just too many plastic parts that strip out or break.

mala in se
04-23-2009, 3:45 PM
i agree w/ getting a 10/22. you stated you wanted a good shooter. there are so many possibilites and w/ less than $500 my 10/22 is very accurate.

now my son's 22 looks real weenie and boring, but he is already saving up his allowance to upgrade to something more tacticool.

bobbyblank
04-23-2009, 3:58 PM
it's all about tacticool bobbyblank. i meet a lot of people at the range, so it draws attention over the traditional 22's like the ruger. i'll admin, it's less accurate than a modified 10/22 for example. but 'tis kewl and is a conversation striker.

I understand, i love cool looking rifles as well. most people do :D, i just cant see spending $500 on a "conversation striker" when i could spend less and still have a "cool" looking decked out ruger. I dont think there is a whole lot of "functionality" to the GSG's, not accurate enough to hunt with or anything. If im going to buy a rifle with the only intended purpose is to look cool shooting it or to strike up a chat with other shooters, im getting one of THESE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NxHj1R04g&feature=related)

cuda3x2
04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
gsg 5pk and ar pistol 22

One Shot, One Dropped
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I know someone else probably said it, but I was looking at the same decision, and I went with both...