PDA

View Full Version : officer reserves?

RedMongooSe
04-21-2009, 5:24 PM
hello all

is an officer reserve just basically a part time LEO? or is it intended for older semi retired officers? is this a position that can be held by "new" guys?

thanks for your input

rm

RudyN
04-21-2009, 6:03 PM
At the time I was a reserve Deputy Sheriff (20+ years ago) It was a position where you did some paid jobs & worked in the jail. It was a position where new guys could join and then maybe later go to the academy later to become a full time employee. It has changed a bit in the last few years. The best thing to do would be to contact the department you are interested in and ask them for their requirements.

tyrist
04-21-2009, 6:11 PM
Yes it can be held by new guys...how much academy it requires depends on what level you are. The highest level you have full time police status and everything but have to work a certain amount of hours a deployment period. You will be going out in the field and be a full time Officers partner.

ryang
04-21-2009, 8:03 PM
How hard is it to google "reserve police officer california"?

1911su16b870
04-21-2009, 9:27 PM
A reserve does everything a regular does, but on your own nickle and doesn't get paid.

CaliTheKid
04-21-2009, 11:39 PM
hello all

is an officer reserve just basically a part time LEO? or is it intended for older semi retired officers? is this a position that can be held by "new" guys?

thanks for your input

rm

Both actually. Some departments pay reserves and other don't making it part time work for some and a volunteer community service for others. I also know a few full timers who once they retired or went back to the private sector became reserves.

I've met reserves from 21 to 71 years of age, so essentially it's a pretty wide range of people who get involved. Most that I have met have their hearts in the right place and want to help the community and fight the good fight. Always a few like in any other business are jerks but they tend to sort themselves out pretty quickly.

sgtbuck
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
DUPE:dupe: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=163989