PDA

View Full Version : San Diego County BoS.. Appointing Sheriff on June 23

swaits
04-21-2009, 5:09 PM
They met this morning.. here's what they decided:

http://www.10news.com/news/19241983/detail.html

If you haven't already, it's time to reach out to all of the supervisors. Let them know that you don't support Gore, and that you don't think it's right for them to appoint a Sheriff to such a long term to a position that so highly respects incumbency.

Looks like Kolender's hand is playing out exactly as he planned.

--Steve

swaits
04-21-2009, 5:25 PM
Another article here: http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/apr/21/bn21sheriff134150/

Five candidates have filed paperwork to run for sheriff in 2010: Undersheriff William Gore; former undersheriff Jay La Suer; former San Diego police chief David Bejarano; former sheriff's sergeant Bruce Ruff; and James Duffy, a former sheriff's lieutenant who is Supervisor Ron Roberts' chief of staff.

Gee.. I wonder who Roberts (my supervisor) will support?

Let's pull together for Jay!

GuyW
04-28-2009, 4:07 AM
Here's the Authoritarian in action, whom the Supes want to appoint as Sheriff For Life....

Sequence of events:

1. Sheriff Kolender wanders around in traffic (on foot), clueless as to his location (I'm dang sure he was armed, too), about Oct. 2007;

2. Roger Hedgecock and other media report same;

3. Ian Trowbridge (former SD City Council candidate) appears at the Board of Supervisors to express concern about Kolender's fitness for duty;

4. WITHIN 1 hour, William Gore phones Ian Trowbridge, demanding to know who Ian was and why was he saying those things about Kolender in a public forum.

You guys in Orange County might recognize the chilling effect such actions by LE can have on citizens' free speech rights....

...especially when the same trigger-happy Authoritarian approved the "shoot on sight" orders that caused government sniper Lon Horiuchi to make a head shot on Randy Weaver's wife while she was holding her infant...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=167834&highlight=ruby

If this guy remains in power, what do you think the Sheriff's Dept will become?

What does it take to get San Diegans riled up??

Show up June 23rd and tell the Supes NOT TO APPOINT GORE

swaits
04-29-2009, 4:20 PM
I will try to get there. It'd be great to have a nice CGN presence.

GuyW
04-29-2009, 5:43 PM
3. Ian Trowbridge (former SD City Council candidate) appears at the Board of Supervisors to express concern about Kolender's fitness for duty;

4. WITHIN 1 hour, William Gore phones Ian Trowbridge, demanding to know who Ian was and why was he saying those things about Kolender in a public forum.

BTW, here's a campaign website for Ian....Gore knew damn well who Ian was before he called him - it was intended intimidation, nothing less...

http://www.smartvoter.org/2005/11/08/ca/sd/vote/trowbridge_i/index.html

AEC1
04-29-2009, 6:32 PM
Any one have a phone list for the BOS?

Bill_in_SD
04-29-2009, 7:54 PM
http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/general/bos.html

GenLee
04-29-2009, 7:58 PM
More kickin our ***.

swaits
04-29-2009, 8:26 PM
Anyone know anything about James Duffy?

Mazilla
04-29-2009, 9:17 PM
I'll go as long as nothing unforseen happens.

DDT
04-29-2009, 10:22 PM
If people choose to call the BoS it needs to be simply about Gore's excesses. If your calls are about Gore's opposition to CCW rather than about him in general it will get you nowhere.

The San Diego BoS doesn't care about CCW or 2A like all of us do. They do care if their constituents don't like the way they vote on certain things.

Bill_in_SD
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
How about

"In these tough economic times, we need a Sheriff that understands budget concerns of the county as a local government while balancing that with public safety. Undersheriff Gore has a long career in law enforcement that unfortunately does not reflect any experience that will be useful in this current economic crisis, in the near future or the long run."

Then go on about how your favorite candidate has experience in Law Enforcement and as a representative of the people.

I agree about the 2nd and CCW issues.

swaits
04-30-2009, 6:17 AM
I also agree, BoS could care less about CCW. In fact they'd probably be happy to have an anti in the seat.

Personally, I'd bring up his Ruby Ridge and pre 9/11 actions.

Jay LaSuer has a very fine military and LE career. He's a fair man, a true patriot who still believes in LIBERTY.

We know Gore & Ruff are bad. We know LaSuer is great. What do we know about the other "candidates"?

AEC1
04-30-2009, 2:27 PM
Got this back from Ron Roberts:

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your concerns about the County Sheriff appointment.

It is very important for me to hear from those individuals and organizations that have an interest on this issue. The participation of the public in the decision making process is a fundamental element of responsible government.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this matter. I always appreciate the thoughts and input of constituents. If you have further questions, please contact my office at (619) 531-5544.

Sincerely,

RON ROBERTS

Supervisor, Fourth District

swaits
04-30-2009, 3:19 PM
Mr. Roberts is my supervisor. I've left telephone messages several times with his secretary and chief of staff expressing my desire that Mr. Gore not be selected.

To be really fair they should appoint someone who agrees not to run in '10. The electorate should choose its sheriff, not Mr. Kolender, and not the Supervisors.

I'm going to call his chief of staff again now, because I believe he is in the running (James Duffy?).

DDT
04-30-2009, 3:48 PM
Guys, unlike the legislature where individual lobbying for gun laws will go no where WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE HERE.

If we don't harp on CCW the BoS will respond to San Diego residents calling to voice concern about Gore and what he represents. The underhanded way in which he rigged the system to ensure that he was appointed instead of having to run against others for the seat and others things are reasons that should be brought up.

CALL YOUR BoS!!!!!!

I'm not in San Diego county or I would be working the phones.

jnojr
04-30-2009, 6:05 PM
If people choose to call the BoS it needs to be simply about Gore's excesses. If your calls are about Gore's opposition to CCW rather than about him in general it will get you nowhere.

Too true.

Stick to the fact that it gives any candidate appointed an unfair advantage next November. Tell them to let Gore run the department as Undersheriff, and let the voters decide.

Bill_in_SD
04-30-2009, 7:41 PM
Tell them to let Gore run the department as Undersheriff, and let the voters decide.

I like this idea the best - the public has little time to make a decision on a very important position in the county. Allowing the remainder of the term for the voters to learn about other candidates makes sense.

Other than that, I like the agreement that the appointee not run in the 2010 election. I believe the City of Poway did this with their mayor, due to costs of running a special election. A compromise that still allows for the democratic process to work with a normal election coming later.

nicki
05-01-2009, 2:49 AM
When Randy Weaver was tried, the jury wondered why government agents weren't being prosecuted for murder.

Randy Weaver and the DOJ settled out of court for a few million dollars.

Appointing Gore sheriff sends a message that cuts across the political spectrum.

If the BOS appoints this POS, perhaps you need to consider recall elections on BOS members.

Nicki

GuyW
05-01-2009, 1:27 PM
When Randy Weaver was tried, the jury wondered why government agents weren't being prosecuted for murder.

We need more hard background information on this aspect. This is an albatross to hang around Gore's neck (and the BoS)...

Who wants a Sheriff who should have been tried for murder??

swaits
05-01-2009, 1:33 PM
BTW, all of the editors on this morning's "Editors at the Roundtable" on KPBS felt that this was a done deal. Gore is in, that's it.

They mostly agreed that this is 100% politics, and generally pretty nasty business. The Ruby Ridge and pre-9/11 stuff was even briefly mentioned. Bottom line, the County Charter says in this case the BoS can appoint anyone. It doesn't matter if that hands over incumbency.

I think Gore's background is important, and I plan to do all I can to get there on June 23rd. I will continue to call and write not only my supervisor, Ron Roberts, but the entire board.

I hope others do the same. Have you called or written yet???

nicki
05-01-2009, 2:03 PM
From what little I know of Gore, he sounds like exactly the type of person the average person in San Diego would be appalled at having as sheriff.

The issues are more than just CCW. You won't get people angry at the appointment on his CCW stance.

People will be pissed that someone who gave the order to shoot a "Mother" in the the head would be their sheriff.

Follow Orange counties example, see if you can find a friendly supervisor and have a public forum on the sheriff appointment and flood the chambers.

If the chambers are flooded with Jay supporters, that just might do the trick.

If the suprevisors vote the wrong way, not only run a recall on the sheriff, but on all the supes who voted for him as well.

You don't have to win a recall, if you file one and actually get it qualified, it catches there attention.

Something like this would help chip away at the incumbency advantage Gore would have against other candidates.

Nicki

DDT
05-01-2009, 2:07 PM
Follow Orange counties example, see if you can find a friendly supervisor and have a public forum on the sheriff appointment and flood the chambers.

If the chambers are flooded with Jay supporters, that just might do the trick.

THIS.

Keeping Gore from ever sitting in the Sheriff's seat is critical. Pack the chambers. Having the help of an anyi-Gore councilmember would be most helpful.

Also, find other orgs against Gore now to coordinate a bigger turn out

Kid Stanislaus
05-01-2009, 2:12 PM
I'll go as long as nothing unforseen happens.

Boy, you're just one gutsy sonuvagun!!

swaits
05-05-2009, 2:49 PM
Potentially fantastic news here..

I spoke with James Duffy ("Jim") yesterday via telephone. He is the Chief of Staff for Ron Roberts, my County Supervisor (District 4).

He is also running for Sheriff. Since he was on the clock, he could not talk to me about his own campaign. He said he will call me after hours. I plan on asking about his position on CCW Issuance and will certainly report back here. For now though, I want you all to know that I believe we may have a very good friend in Jim Duffy.

He was able to give me some details about the process..

Applicants have until June 10th to submit their applications.
He believes that the Supervisors are all professionals, and will consider all applicants. Word on the street seems to say otherwise, but we can hope.
The first public hearing will be on June 16th. Each member of the public is entitled to two minutes.
The second, and final hearing is on June 23rd. The Supervisors will select, by majority vote, our new Sheriff.
July 2nd, Kolender retires.
July 3rd, new Sheriff seated until '10 election.

After thinking about this quite a bit more, I think our tactic should be to discourage the selection of Gore, and encourage the selection of LaSuer or Duffy.

Crying about handing over the incumbency, etc. will go nowhere. Why? The Supervisors are authorized, actually required, by the County Charter to select a new Sheriff. If we don't like that, we should change the Charter. But, for now, I think it's best we stick to what the Supervisors should be most interested in hearing, which is the merits of each candidate.

The best thing we can do is show up in numbers, and stay on a consistent, thoughtful, sensible message. Who's doing this?

--Steve

P.S. Have you called and talked to your Supervisor yet? http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/general/bos.html If not, why not? DO IT NOW!

Legasat
05-05-2009, 2:56 PM
Sounds like a good plan.

Thanks for the update!

AEC1
05-05-2009, 3:57 PM
Got this back from Diane Jacobs office.

swaits
05-05-2009, 4:02 PM
Nice work AEC1!

AEC1
05-05-2009, 4:09 PM
:thumbsup:Nice work AEC1!

In the words of the Beasty Boys...

You gotta fight...

for your right...

TO CARRY!!!

rynando
05-05-2009, 6:03 PM
Got this back from Diane Jacobs office.

I got the same reply from her (or her staff) quite some time ago . . . Hopefully the candidates for Sheriff will show up to the BOS meeting and make a lot of newsworthy noise about this. I doubt that will happen however as LE "top-dogs" are hesitant to be very heavy handed with eachother in public where the serfs can watch.

R

RomanDad
05-05-2009, 6:21 PM
Guys... I wouldnt play "Hide the ball" on the CCW issue.

That was the approach we tried in Orange County and it blew up in our faces. Now we all know what weve been able to accomplish SINCE we came out of the closet. Clearly our BOS (who we assumed would be against us as well) wouldnt have made the same choices had we made our voices UNDERSTOOD during the selection process.

So, youve got nothing to lose.... Lay your cards on the table, in FORCE.... Your friends to the north are here to help in any way we can.

swaits
05-05-2009, 8:27 PM
Thanks RomanDad. I plan to bring it up. I want a Sheriff who understands and respects The Constitution.

AEC1
05-05-2009, 8:30 PM
So are the hearings comming upopen to the public, if so I will be there. I might even put on a tie!

Mazilla
05-05-2009, 8:35 PM
Boy, you're just one gutsy sonuvagun!!

Thats how I roll. :thumbsup:

swaits
05-05-2009, 8:38 PM
AEC1 - yes, these are PUBLIC HEARINGS. Your presence will be appreciated.

Each member of the public is allowed to address the Board for two minutes.

The more CFGers we can get there the better.

AEC1
05-05-2009, 9:01 PM
The lawsuit filed today will help will it not, let them know that another sheriff like Kolender will get the county sued!!!

GuyW
05-20-2009, 1:20 PM
The first public hearing will be on June 16th. Each member of the public is entitled to two minutes.

The second, and final hearing is on June 23rd. The Supervisors will select, by majority vote, our new Sheriff.

Guys - the FIRST HEARING IS THE BIG ONE IF YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE ONLY ONE TO ATTEND AND SPEAK. (please attend both)

Things are happening now in our favor, BUT we need pro-2nd Amendment folks to show up and cover the bases in public testimony...the more, the better:

1. Gore's intimidation of a member of the public (Ian Trowbridge). I'm going to focus on this...

2. Ruby Ridge actions, and Idaho's attempt to prosecute Gore and other FBI agents for murder (there was evidence to allow this). I'd like one or more or you to become the expert(s) on this topic.

3. Gore's (FBI) lack-luster performance regarding the 9/11 conspirators in SD...Who needs an incompetent Sheriff??

4. Kolender's (and hence Gore's) reduction in CCW isuance. COMPARE to and CONTRAST with the 40 shall-issue states....hammering on - CCW works there, and WILL work here...law-abiding San Diegans will be assaulted, robbed, raped, and murdered because GORE will deny self-defense. (My opinion is there's no reason to run from this issue - it just can't be the only issue)

Folks - IMHO this is the most important pro-2nd activity that we can do in San Diego this year.....more important than open carry events....(yeah, maybe not as much fun...)

We can help you get ready to speak.

Please contact me offline to discuss your participation.

swaits
05-20-2009, 2:37 PM
I plan to be there, and I plan to take the CCW issue head on. I also plan to mention some of Gore's evils.

ZepoL
05-21-2009, 12:10 AM
This thread has been such a great read on this important topic.
Subscribed.

GuyW
05-22-2009, 6:40 PM
"Gore has been busy raising money from the usual bunch of downtown kingmakers, including Mission Valley hotelier C. Terry Brown; port commissioner Stephen Cushman; his brother Larry Cushman; ex–city schools chief and airport board chairman Alan Bersin; Bersin crony William D. Lynch of Rancho Santa Fe; real estate mogul Malin Burnham; Cloud 9 president John Hawkins; and onetime Pepsi bottler Frank Alessio."

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/apr/15/under-radar-1/

AEC1
05-23-2009, 8:03 AM
So I PM'd you 4 days ago about what you wanted me to handle and havent heard back...

GuyW
05-23-2009, 10:59 AM
So I PM'd you 4 days ago about what you wanted me to handle and havent heard back...

Sorry - today...

AfricanHunter
05-24-2009, 4:22 AM
I sent the following letter to all of the Bos. I also have a family member who knows all of the Sup's on a personal or semi=personal basis and will be bringing the matter up with them one on one.

Feel free to use the following but if you do, please change the formatting/language/etc so they dont get 100 emails of the same letter as this will lessen the effect somewhat.

Hello Supervisor,

I am contacting you today to voice my strong opposition to the appointment of Undersheriff William Gore as San Diego Sheriff for the following reasons;

1. Gore's intimidation tactics against Ian Trowbridge after Trowbridge questioned Kolender's fitness for duty in relation to the incident where Kolender was wandering around in traffic on foot. Attempting to intimidate a member of the public for bringing up a valid point to the Board of Supervisors is completely unacceptable. If this is what Gore did as Undersheriff, I would hate to think of the environment he would create as Sheriff.

2. Gore's involvement in the Ruby Ridge debacle(specifically giving the "Shoot to Kill" order which resulted in a 43 year old unarmed mother holding her infant in her arms being shot in the head) is not the kind of history I want my SD Sheriff carrying around with him. This is not the kind of judgement under pressure I want in the head law enforcement officer of SD.

3. Gore's extremely lackluster performance in relation to the 9/11 conspirators in SD.

For the above reasons and many more please do not vote for Undersheriff Bill Gore for SD Sheriff.

Aside from this, we have not had a serious Sheriff election in SD for at least 10 years. Due to the very serious incumbent advantage in this position, appointing Gore to this position will be tantamount to the Board of Supervisors choosing our next Sheriff. That is a decision that should be left to the 1.5 million voters in San Diego County, not the five members of the Board of Supervisors.

In my opinion, the best approach would be to put another person in charge of the Sheriff's Office who will swear to not seek the position during the next election. This helps guarantee a fair decision-making process for the voters and allows some open dialogue about what the residents of the City of SD really want in a sheriff versus just having the incumbent rubber stamped into office next year.

If Gore is voted into office and allowed the ability to run for Sheriff in 2010 I will strongly support a recall of the position as well as that of any Board of Supervisor members who voted him in. I feel the safety and security of the citizens of this county is important enough to warrant it.

I would also like to voice my very strongest SUPPORT of Jay LaSeur for the position. I feel he will bring fresh new ideas to the office without all the negative baggage that Bill Gore has around his neck.

Thank you for your time and I hope you will give the points I raised your full attention.

Regards.

AfricanHunter
05-24-2009, 4:24 AM
Also, I am pretty well up to speed on the other issues but can someone expand on the 9/11 conspirators in SD thing?

Maybe this thread should be stickied to get as much exposure as possible? Seems if the OC CCW BoS issue warrants a sticky that this does as well.

GuyW
06-01-2009, 9:32 PM
Sheriff's candidates to hold forum Tuesday
UNION-TRIBUNE
4:05 p.m. June 1, 2009

- —

SAN DIEGO – All five declared candidates for San Diego County sheriff are expected to attend a forum at the University of San Diego on Tuesday night.

The candidates will meet at 7 p.m. at the Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice, 5998 Alcala Park.

The election is one year away, although the county Board of Supervisors this month is expected to name someone to serve out retiring Sheriff Bill Kolender's fourth term.

Three of the supervisors have endorsed Bill Gore, the current undersheriff, in the 2010 race. The other candidates are former San Diego Police Chief David Bejarano, former Deputy Sheriffs' Association President Jim Duffy, former undersheriff and Assemblyman Jay La Suer and former sheriff's Sgt. Bruce Ruff.

The forum, hosted by the Deputy Sheriffs Association of San Diego County, is free and open to the public.

swaits
06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Dang, I'm out of town and won't make this. I'll look forward to your report.

GuyW
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Dang, I'm out of town and won't make this. I'll look forward to your report.

I can't make this either :(

lorax3
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Any Calgunners going tonight?

N6ATF
06-03-2009, 1:11 PM
Small editorial in The East County Herald, May 28-June 3, page 4 (had to hand-copy, no web version available):

With the San Diego County Board of Supervisors now accepting applications for Bill Kolender's seat, a bit of chatter has ensued as to how a board-appointed Sheriff would be able to list his (or her) ballot designation during the 2010 election cycle (assuming the selected person runs to keep the seat).

Some consultants have come to the conclusion that the Sheriff is the Sheriff, regardless of how the officeholder gains the title, and thus the appointee would be able to use the term as is on the ballot.

Any consultants with such an opinion might be dead wrong, and would do best to seek additional advice on the matter.

More later.

Barry is a longtime GOP activist, governmental affairs/media relations consultant and retired 16-year member of the La Mesa City Council. he can be reached at barryjantz1 @ cox.net

swaits
06-03-2009, 6:16 PM
N6ATF - that's a fine point, thanks for posting.

GuyW
06-03-2009, 9:46 PM
Read the comments.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/01/bn01sheriff-holding-forum/

swaits
06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Those comments turned into a deputy pissing match!

taloft
06-04-2009, 6:21 AM
The UT comments ALWAYS turn into a pissing match. Sheer idiots posting there, and usually the same group of fools.

motorhead
06-04-2009, 9:26 AM
that hannibal lector guy is a nutty m/f.:43:

swaits
06-08-2009, 9:55 PM
Ok, we're only a week away from the June 16th public hearing on the candidates for Sheriff.

I believe that Jim Duffy is of the shall-issue mindset, in addition to Jay. I have not been able to confirm this. I appreciate anyone confirming this with Mr. Duffy.

Who is going to be there with me next Tuesday?

See my original post on the process details here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2429885&postcount=26

AEC1
06-09-2009, 5:30 AM
Ok, we're only a week away from the June 16th public hearing on the candidates for Sheriff.

I believe that Jim Duffy is of the shall-issue mindset, in addition to Jay. I have not been able to confirm this. I appreciate anyone confirming this with Mr. Duffy.

Who is going to be there with me next Tuesday?

See my original post on the process details here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2429885&postcount=26

I should be there, what time does it start and where is it at?

swaits
06-09-2009, 7:25 AM
We still have to wait for the County to officially list it on the agenda, which should be by tomorrow.

But the meetings happen on Tuesdays, at 9am, at the San Diego County Administration Center on 1600 Pacific Highway.

GuyW
06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
June 16

Item 13

2 pm "Time certain"

"Filing the Vacancy of the San Diego County Elective Office of Sheriff"

Held at 1600 Pacific Highway, Room 310

swaits
06-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks GuyW. Do you know if it's ok to arrive just before 2pm? Or would we be required to go at 9am and sit through the entire meeting?

Either way, 2pm is just about the worst possible time for me. :(

GuyW
06-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks GuyW. Do you know if it's ok to arrive just before 2pm? Or would we be required to go at 9am and sit through the entire meeting?

Either way, 2pm is just about the worst possible time for me. :(

I'd arrive upstairs at 1:30....don't cut it too close.

GuyW
06-15-2009, 2:36 PM
TOMORROW's the DAY! 2 PM 1600 Pacific Highway, 3rd floor

Speakers need to fill out and submit a speaker's form at least 5 minutes before 2 pm.

Dress "nice"....

swaits
06-15-2009, 2:59 PM
Worst timing possible for me. Those that do make it, please report back here. Best of luck, and thanks for representing those of us who cannot make it!!!

I'll call my supervisor (Ron Roberts) on Wednesday to encourage him, once again, to consider CCW in his selection.

GuyW
06-15-2009, 3:03 PM
I'll call my supervisor (Ron Roberts) on Wednesday to encourage him, once again, to consider CCW in his selection.

Better call the others, too......Roberts is anti-gun, especially anti-handgun....

....yeah - he's a RINO....

swaits
06-15-2009, 3:10 PM
Thanks.

Mr. Duffy is Supervisor Roberts' Chief of Staff. Furthermore, he lists Supervisor Roberts under "Endorsements" on his Sheriff's Candidacy website (http://www.duffyforsheriff.com/endorsements.html).

I believe Mr. Duffy is a friend to CCW; though that should be confirmed with him on the record.

AEC1
06-15-2009, 3:46 PM
Barring unforseen emergency's I am there.

sdyeti
06-15-2009, 3:47 PM
I will be there as a San Diego resident who loves his second amendment and is disgusted with Gore's record.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Bill_in_SD
06-15-2009, 3:55 PM
I plan on being there, is there any plan to meet ahead of time like 1 ish to compare notes?

GuyW
06-15-2009, 8:19 PM
I plan on being there, is there any plan to meet ahead of time like 1 ish to compare notes?

I'll try to be on the bayside of the building at 1 pm +/-

BTW, the are metal detectors at the entrances - if you usually carry a knife, leave it in the car....

N6ATF
06-15-2009, 8:28 PM
Better call the others, too......Roberts is anti-gun, especially anti-handgun....

....yeah - he's a RINO....

More like AINO (American In Name Only), i.e. traitor against the Constitution.

swaits
06-15-2009, 8:30 PM
Give 'em hell guys!

Bill_in_SD
06-16-2009, 9:34 AM
Today - 2:00 p.m.

See you there-

AEC1
06-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Work energency just came up and I wont be able to make it after all. I am writting what I was going to say (ruby ridge) and will fax it to the reps. Sorry guys...

GuyW
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
My 2 minutes....they do audio record these Hearings...whether its live, I dunno...

• Oct 2007: Sheriff Kolender wanders around in traffic (on foot), clueless as to his location (I'm sure he was armed with his handgun, too);

• Roger Hedgecock and other media report this incident;

• Ian Trowbridge, appears at the Board of Supervisors to express concern about Kolender's fitness for duty;

• WITHIN 1 hour, William Gore phoned Ian Trowbridge, demanding to know who Ian was and why was he saying things about Kolender in a public forum.

• Ian Trowbridge is a former SD City Council candidate and public activist who has been on radio and TV news programs, and is known to 100s of thousands of San Diegans, including yourselves (BoS).

• Gore certainly knew who Ian was before he called him - he intended to intimidate him to shut up him up so that the issue of Kolender’s competence could be swept under the rug...

• Intimidating members of the public for bringing up valid concerns is unacceptable, unprofessional, most certainly un-American, and reveals a person who is willing to throw his official weight around and bully San Diegans.

AND YOU WANT TO APPOINT A BULLY AS SHERIFF?

• You do know that this trigger-happy Authoritarian Mr. Gore approved the "shoot on sight" orders that caused a government sniper to shoot Randy Weaver's wife in the head while she was holding her baby, yes?

• Imagine - a mother shot in the head by a high-powered rifle bullet - that’s more than enough Gore for all of us, for the rest of our lives!

• You do know that the Idaho jury members stated that Mr. Gore and the FBI should be prosecuted for murder, don’t you?

AND YOU WANT TO APPOINT A MURDER SUSPECT AS SHERIFF OF SAN DIEGO COUNTY?

• You think you have the downtown establishment and the U-T and TV stations. So what?

• We have the internet and talk radio. I promise you that the facts about Mr. Gore’s bullying, murderous activities, and incompetence at the FBI will be fully developed and disseminated, and will be the talk of San Diego.

• Do what’s right for all of San Diego, and do not appoint Mr. Gore.

• Some say there’s no political advantage to being appointed Sheriff. Fine - then appoint Jay La Suer.

Thank you for your attention.

glbtrottr
06-16-2009, 1:25 PM
Can't wait to hear how this is going....

swaits
06-16-2009, 1:59 PM
Live stream here: http://sdcounty.granicus.com/ASX.php?publish_id=2&sn=sdcounty.granicus.com

N6ATF
06-16-2009, 2:30 PM
My 2 minutes....

HELL YES!

swaits
06-16-2009, 2:40 PM
The guy from OCCCWS was good.

Josh_in_SD
06-16-2009, 2:48 PM
Watching GuyW. Fastening seatbelt...

swaits
06-16-2009, 2:48 PM
GuyW, nice job!!!

whyter
06-16-2009, 2:57 PM
GuyW nice job, I knew she was gonna cut you off even tho she let the others go on.

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:03 PM
Ballots being handed out now. They rigged up some more legal mumbo jumbo requiring candidates to get at least 3 votes to proceed to the finals. It should be the 5 candidates with the MOST votes (not necessarily 3) go to the finals.

They're voting now.. by written (and signed) ballot.

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:06 PM
Gore wins with four votes. Duffy did ok with two, but only Gore will be in the "finals", which they'll finish with a motion.

Bah.. so the three pre-decided Supervisors voted exactly as we all suspected.

edit: Gore had four, not three votes.

N6ATF
06-16-2009, 3:06 PM
Murder suspect Gore won, 4 votes. Duffy got 2, La Suer 1. Once again criminals support their own.

As seen on Cox analog channel CTN 24.

AEC1
06-16-2009, 3:09 PM
Figures. This county is so F'n corunot it is insane...

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:11 PM
It's official. Kudos to Ron Roberts for walking out for the vote. Seemed a bit symbolic to me.

Oh well.. let's hope the courts settle CCW for us. Corrupt indeed.

N6ATF
06-16-2009, 3:13 PM
I just tuned in before they started writing in their ballots, and left the room to post the result. Why did Roberts walk out? I thought he balloted, but then I saw absent on the final approval graphic.

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:15 PM
I just tuned in before they started writing in their ballots, and left the room to post the result. Why did Roberts walk out? I thought he balloted, but then I saw absent on the final approval graphic.
There were two elections. The first was to select finalists. They required three votes in that election to become finalist. At the completion of that Mr. Roberts left. Then they voted on the finalist, Gore - a formality.

Josh_in_SD
06-16-2009, 3:18 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/8zkx1v.jpg

N6ATF
06-16-2009, 3:19 PM
What was Roberts' vote? Trying to figure out the symbolism of his walk-out.

AEC1
06-16-2009, 3:19 PM
How many CG's showed? I bet they dont even read the fax I sent. I touched on the Ruby ridge and a bit more on the family relation ship between Gores dad and Mr kolender. Gores Dad trained and mentored Kolender. So when Gore needed a job after Ruby Ridge then the 9/11 crap, kolender had to give it to him to pay back the favor to Gores father. inbread politocs at it worst...

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:20 PM
What was Roberts' vote? Trying to figure out the symbolism of his walk-out.
His original vote was for Duffy. Once only Gore was selected as a finalist, Roberts left; thereby abstaining in the final vote to select Gore as "Interim Sheriff".

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:21 PM
AEC1, two that spoke. GuyW and the guy from OCCCWS.

AEC1
06-16-2009, 3:22 PM
Is there a break down of who voted for who? I would love to flood the switch board with at least 5 daily calls from me to thank them for appointing a murderer to Sheriff. With that I am off to Jay site to give him another hundered bucks...

AEC1
06-16-2009, 3:24 PM
AEC1, two that spoke. GuyW and the guy from OCCCWS.

Damn I wish that I could have been there. Had a Junior Sailor get into trouble and was stuck in the Skippers office:mad:

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:41 PM
Is there a break down of who voted for who? I would love to flood the switch board with at least 5 daily calls from me to thank them for appointing a murderer to Sheriff. With that I am off to Jay site to give him another hundered bucks...
All (four) Supervisors other than Roberts voted for him.

AEC1
06-16-2009, 3:43 PM
Of course for that one, he had no oponents, what about the "primary"

swaits
06-16-2009, 3:48 PM
Of course for that one, he had no oponents, what about the "primary"
They voted that way in both.

Though the Chairwoman also voted for other candidates in addition to Mr. Gore, including Mr. Duffy. (In the primary they could vote for as many as five candidates). Mr. Roberts voted for Mr. Duffy (and nobody else) in the "primary".

tango-52
06-16-2009, 4:06 PM
I was the OCCCWS guy. Here is my take:

I just got back from the SD County Board of Supervisors meeting. They interviewed five candidates for Appointed Sheriff and heard comments from the public. Undersheriff William Gore had eight supporters get up and talk. I spoke about the improperness of denying the public their right to vote on the matter. GuyW talked about Gore and Ruby Ridge (Gore was Agent-in-charge and gave the shoot to kill orders). The Supes then took a preliminary vote to narrow the field down to five candidates (there were already five, but never mind logic). A candidate had to get three or more votes to move on to next week’s final vote. Only Gore received more than three (he got 4). With that, a motion was made to change the policy and appoint him as new Sheriff on the spot. Screw the public and what they might want. He takes over as Sheriff on July 3, 2009.

Now the election campaign begins.

sdyeti
06-16-2009, 4:12 PM
I went but did not feel qualified to speak as I know very little of the facts. I learned a lot today. It was my first time at a b.o.supes meeting and it will not be my last. I am very proud of the one cg member that spoke out about the horrible decisions and their actions that Mr. Gore has made. Also of the man from Orange County who must have come a long way to speak out for us. The board members did not act at all surprised or even care that these facts were brought to light about Mr. Gore. It seems pretty obvious that most of them did not care or already knew and just wanted to get it over with. The agenda was well planned from the time that Kolender(or however you spell his name... I am not sure that even he can remember!) appointed Gore as his second in command. I feel bad for the man that he has Alzheimer's but he is anti ccw so he has to go anyway. This was good old boys politics in your face! Cox then made a motion to make Gore the interim sheriff while the lady with the hyphenated last name seconded it and it was done. No June 23rd meeting, done! All of you who could have at least shown up and showed that we cg's care, and you alone know who you are, should be ashamed. Get out and support La Suer and show some guts for a change!

GuyW
06-16-2009, 4:23 PM
Video here:

http://sdcounty.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=2

GuyW
06-16-2009, 5:50 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/16/bn16gore-named-sheriff/?metro

Bill_in_SD
06-16-2009, 7:30 PM
Fast Forward Video to 5:00:00 to the start of the proceedings. Unfortunately I had to leave early, but it sounds like things were a foregone conclusion. :-(

I wondered why the Mayor showed up, I guess it was to congratulate the new Sheriff. Naive of me to think that he was actually interested in the proceedings.

swaits
06-16-2009, 7:50 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/16/bn16gore-named-sheriff/?metro
The article already makes the obvious mistake of calling him "sheriff", instead of "interim sheriff". I'm scared for next November. :eek:

tango-52
06-16-2009, 7:52 PM
Actually, the official title should be Appointed Sheriff, just like Sandra Hutchens in Orange County.

Bill_in_SD
06-16-2009, 7:56 PM
Just watched the video - anyone catch the Mayor of Lemon Grove *knew* that the undersheriff would be appointed today.

Guy you know how to give it to them! Bravo! Now I am afraid that you are 'on the radar'.

swaits
06-16-2009, 8:48 PM
Another thing to look for is.. in the candidates' closing statements (I think) the one guy said that the voters should have a say in this. You can see Kolender in the background shaking his head "no" to the comment. Really disgusted me when I watched it live.

swaits
06-16-2009, 9:16 PM
Does anyone know how to update the main title of the thread? I'd like to change it to "Update: SD BoS appoint Gore as interim sheriff on June 16th".

bwiese
06-16-2009, 9:21 PM
...one guy said that the voters should have a say in this. You can see
Kolender in the background shaking his head "no" to the comment

Did Kolender have his SDSO-paid keeper there?
Was he drooling?
Was the nodding produced by his keeper wiggling his head?
Or was he just shaking his head saying he didn't want any more booze?

swaits
06-16-2009, 9:25 PM
All kidding aside, he seemed pretty alert, aware, and attentive. His reaction to "the voters should choose" of shaking his head no was definitely deliberate.

Though when he got to the podium to pimp Gore to the stupervisors, he did ramble on and on and on. He was all over the place. The chairwoman finally had to cut him off. He and GuyW were the only two who got cut off. Kolender wasn't making sense, and GuyW was scaring the sheep. Pigs gotta keep their pens in order!

motorhead
06-17-2009, 7:11 AM
wow! who'd a thunk it?

GuyW
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Disappointing that the Supervisors wouldn't be moved off the position established by their political masters....

But the fat lady hasn't sung yet, guys.

An effective Anybody-But-Gore campaign can take him out of the race, allow an actual vote by the public, and have significant political blow-back on the Supervisors.

I have NEVER seen a political candidate with as many negatives as Gore.

The whole affair makes me ashamed of some that claim to be Republicans....

N6ATF
06-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Take pride that you are one of the few honorable Republicans left.

GuyW
06-18-2009, 9:13 AM

Gee - this is NOT the article that made it into print - that one made no mention of any inconvenient contrary testimony.

Not an earthshaking occurrence - we knew the UT's corrupt subservience to the downtown business establishment would be in effect for their boy Gore.

That's why "we" need to become expert in political guerilla warfare, via talk radio, internet blogs, dedicated websites, Youtube etc.

Anyone interested in freedom around here?

ANYBODY-BUT-GORE

GuyW
06-18-2009, 9:23 AM
Another thing to look for is.. in the candidates' closing statements (I think) the one guy said that the voters should have a say in this. You can see Kolender in the background shaking his head "no" to the comment. Really disgusted me when I watched it live.

Sounds like a Youtube and TV spot to me....

swaits
06-18-2009, 9:45 AM
Yep. I'm on board with the ANYONE BUT GORE campaign. I think it can be quite effective.

lobonegro
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I think that is probably the worst idea I have heard. You will only achieve in getting GORE's name out there more. You need to pick a canidate to back and get HIS name out there, otherwise you are splitting the vote amongst the other canidates at the very best.

N6ATF
06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
"One of the candidates for Sheriff is suspected of murdering an unarmed woman holding only a baby. I am most certainly not that candidate, and will cooperate fully with his extradition when he is charged."

GuyW
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I think that is probably the worst idea I have heard. You will only achieve in getting GORE's name out there more. You need to pick a canidate to back and get HIS name out there, otherwise you are splitting the vote amongst the other canidates at the very best.

As all aspects are, the approach will of course be critically evaluated as to effectiveness and unanticipated consequences.

That being said, many Anybody-but-** campaigns have been successful.

swaits
06-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm not saying I won't strongly support a Pro2A candidate, like Sheriff Jay. But it's a great idea to make sure the public knows about Gore's history, and how he ramrodded his way into office with nothing but political capital.

Old Timer
06-18-2009, 1:22 PM
(H)e ramrodded his way into office with nothing but political capital.Now wait a minute. I too like Jay LaSuer, but Bill Gore was not selected on the basis of political capital alone. Remember, Bill is a life-long law enforcement professional. He received a BA in Public Administration from University of San Diego and a Master's degree in Public Administration from Seattle University. While with the FBI (32 years) he rose to the rank of Assistant Director. He started with SDSO as the Assistant Sheriff in charge of the Law Enforcement Services Bureau. He was promoted to Undersheriff in 2005. He also served as Chief Investigator at the San Diego County District Attorney's Office prior to joining SDSO.

His background undoubetedly qualifies him for the position of Sheriff. However, he has some very strong negatives. He was involved in the Ruby Ridge fiasco, but was not demoted nor connected with the cover up by some agents. He was also criticized for not catching the 9-11 hijackers who got their flight training in San Diego while he was Special Agent in Charge of the San Diego Field Office. And lastly he was one of 4 FBI agents who pled the 5th amendment before the Senate committee investigating Ruby Ridge. (This last one is the one that bothers me most. We need absolute transparency in our government officials. Hiding behind the 5th amendment against self-incrimination, to me, seems like a guilty person who is trying to avoid criminal procecution.)

Let's be fair. The man has some terrible negatives and the election campaign wil get very, very dirty, but he also has the background, education, and experience to more than qualify him for the post even though I don't like his position on CCW and some other matters.

swaits
06-18-2009, 2:42 PM
I see it my way. You see it yours.

GuyW
06-18-2009, 2:48 PM
....the election campaign wil get very, very dirty....

Mmm, I would say something like, "the election will get very, very specific, accurate, and graphic..."

Old Timer
06-18-2009, 4:33 PM
I see it my way. You see it yours.So, what part are you claiming to be untrue?

That he is a life-long law enforcement professional?

That he received a BA in Public Administration from University of San Diego?

That he received a Master's degree in Public Administration from Seattle University?

That he was with the FBI (32 years) and rose to the rank of Assistant Director?

That he started with SDSO as the Assistant Sheriff in charge of the Law Enforcement Services Bureau and was promoted to Undersheriff in 2005?

That he also served as Chief Investigator at the San Diego County District Attorney's Office prior to joining SDSO?

Good grief! That is not political posturing, that is a rock solid background that is more than the qualifications necessary for the job.

My concern is not his qualifications, for it is obvious to anyone with an IQ greater than his hat size that them man is qualified, but it is his qualities that trouble me. He seems to be anti-gun when it comes to handguns being carried by law abiding citizens, and that troubles me greatly. How can a man hide behind the 5th amendment while ignoring the 2nd?

I am a Jay LaSeur supporter. He is equally well qualified but with a much stronger pro gun position, especially as it applies to law abiding citizens carrying guns.

Old Timer
06-18-2009, 4:34 PM
Mmm, I would say something like, "the election will get very, very specific, accurate, and graphic..."
.I agree, as it should. But we must, if we are going to try to take the moral/ethical high ground, also make sure the election rhetoric is, above all, the truth! :)

GuyW
06-18-2009, 4:36 PM
Gore.....Peter Principle.

Peter Principle.....Gore

But - I must say - when you absolutely, must have a mother shot in the head - Gore's your man....

swaits
06-18-2009, 4:37 PM
I don't deny him the "checkmarks" of qualification, nor do I care to argue them point by point.

I stand by my statement that he is where he is today because of politics. My actual statement, "He ramrodded his way into office with nothing but political capital.", is exactly how I see it.

Old Timer
06-18-2009, 4:53 PM
Gore.

Peter Principle.The Peter Principle is that a person will rise to his level of incompetence. I think I have adequately demonstrated that is not the case with Bill Gore. He is abundantly qualified for the position of Sheriff. The problem is not his qualifications, but his qualities, as I explained in my earlier post.
When you absolutely, must shoot a mother in the head - he's your man....
.I am sure that statement is in jest, but it comes very close to seeming to advocate the willful taking of his life because we disagree with his position on the RKBA. That may be an excellent example of the type of rhetoric we should avoid during the next year. Don't allow our own thoughtless statements to be used against us to make us out to be extremists and nut cases. :)

GuyW
06-18-2009, 4:57 PM
it comes very close to seeming to advocate the willful taking of his life

WHAT? It says nothing of the sort.

Show me HOW, and I'll delete it....otherwise, you delete yours....

AEC1
06-18-2009, 6:46 PM
It wasnt political capitol, it was a family favor. Gore's father was Kolender's mentor, so Kolender made sure that in the last few years he put his old friends son in a perfect position to take th CLEO spot, then I am sure made some calls to the BOS....

N6ATF
06-18-2009, 8:30 PM
I am sure that statement is in jest, but it comes very close to seeming to advocate the willful taking of his life because we disagree with his position on the RKBA.

No, we disagree with his position on shooting unarmed mothers holding babies.

Best summed up here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/1ucifer/exterminate.jpg

swaits
06-18-2009, 8:57 PM
It wasnt political capitol, it was a family favor. Gore's father was Kolender's mentor, so Kolender made sure that in the last few years he put his old friends son in a perfect position to take th CLEO spot, then I am sure made some calls to the BOS....
Yep, well, our definitions of political capital may vary, but this is exactly what I'm referring to.

Old Timer
06-19-2009, 5:37 AM
No, we disagree with his position on shooting unarmed mothers holding babies.Sorry, my bad. I misunderstood what was being said, or implied. :)

However, his involvement in formulating the rules of engagement at Ruby Ridge have been more than slightly overstated by his detractors. The rules were laid down by his superior, he passed them down the chain of command without comment. In my opinion he should have objected to those rules and refused to pass them down the chain of command, and, if ordered to do so, handed his superior his badge and gone home. But such personal ethics are rare in the LEO community, where personal ethics are more important than financial well being. :(

Old Timer
06-19-2009, 5:50 AM
It wasnt political capitol, it was a family favor. Gore's father was Kolender's mentor, so Kolender made sure that in the last few years he put his old friends son in a perfect position to take th CLEO spot, then I am sure made some calls to the BOS....Yes, Gore's father was a SDPD detective that took a young, green recruit under his wing, but you can bet your bottom dollar that Kolender would not have appointed Gore if he did not believe him to be eminently qualified for the post. Kolender is too savvy a politician to do something like that. It is far more likely that Kolender believes Gore to be the best man for the job due to his commonality of position on the very things Kolender has championed since being elected (the very things I most vehemently disagree with!).

Again, my position is that we, the RKBA community, must take the high road in this election cycle and not allow the opposition to paint us as a bunch of wack jobs wearing tinfoil hats. And we can best accomplish that by moderating our public statements regarding the principles in this contest. We can be truthful without being perceived as muck rakers. Or, as Jay LaSuer put it before the BOS, we must remain gentlemen.

AEC1
06-19-2009, 5:59 AM
Yes, Gore's father was a SDPD detective that took a young, green recruit under his wing, but you can bet your bottom dollar that Kolender would not have appointed Gore if he did not believe him to be eminently qualified for the post. Kolender is too savvy a politician to do something like that. It is far more likely that Kolender believes Gore to be the best man for the job due to his commonality of position on the very things Kolender has championed since being elected (the very things I most vehemently disagree with!).

Again, my position is that we, the RKBA community, must take the high road in this election cycle and not allow the opposition to paint us as a bunch of wack jobs wearing tinfoil hats. And we can best accomplish that by moderating our public statements regarding the principles in this contest. We can be truthful without being perceived as muck rakers. Or, as Jay LaSuer put it before the BOS, we must remain gentlemen.

Qualified is a broad term. Does hehave the education sure, but that doesent make him qualified. The milatary is a great example. Go to college and get a degree, have a bit of sense and score well on the test and get a commision as an Officer. This makes you qualified to take a platton into battle? trust me I have seen more then enought JO's that are scary as hell and could not lead a starving (your favorite third world country) kid to a McDonalds.

On paper Gore is Qualified. Unfortunately he is incompletent and spineless. You are correct it was his boss that gave the shoot to kill order, But Gore was in the meeting, the decision was made. Not only did he give no input against the order but may have encouraged it, we may never know as he pled the 5th....

taloft
06-19-2009, 6:38 AM
I was unable to attend on the 16th. I was planning to attend on the 23rd. Nice little end run they pulled.:mad:

I'm not surprised in the slightest regarding who they put into office. Hopefully, we'll be able to get him out next year if not sooner.

N6ATF
06-19-2009, 9:19 AM
"I was just following orders" didn't work at Nuremberg, and it won't work here, if that is the excuse used instead of "I refuse to incriminate myself". I'm voting for a Sheriff, not a SUMMARY EXECUTIONER.

There are things that define you, despite inches of resume and transcripts to the contrary. This unconscionably evil act is his.

GuyW
06-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Can you find it again and give us a time stamp?

swaits
06-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Can you find it again and give us a time stamp?
I searched, but can't find it because the stream keeps abruptly stopping. Has anyone managed to download the entire video? It'd be much easier to find than in the stream. Link?

While fighting with their streaming server, I noticed another head shake at ( 6 : 55 : 20 ) in response to Mr. Duffy's claim of being known as an effective leader.

--Steve

GuyW
06-19-2009, 4:45 PM
I searched, but can't find it because the stream keeps abruptly stopping. Has anyone managed to download the entire video? It'd be much easier to find than in the stream. Link?

While fighting with their streaming server, I noticed another head shake at ( 6 : 55 : 20 ) in response to Mr. Duffy's claim of being known as an effective leader.

--Steve

When we find the spot and can study it, then I'll buy the tape from the County....

...yeah, I've had trouble with it stopping too...

swaits
06-22-2009, 9:11 AM
I found it.. it was during Jay's closing statement. Jay explains that he disagrees with this appointment process, that the public should choose its sheriff, and Kolender clearly shakes his head in disagreement. It's at ( 6 : 51 : 35 ).

--Steve

Rhys898
06-28-2009, 10:48 AM
What ever happened with this??? Kolender is still listed as sheriff on the website.

swaits
06-28-2009, 12:55 PM
They selected Gore. It was ugly. He starts next week.

glbtrottr
06-28-2009, 4:06 PM
how was it ugly? I'm curious...couldn't make it...

swaits
06-28-2009, 8:06 PM
In the ways we all expected it to be ugly. Gore was obviously preselected. The hearing was unnecessary because none of it mattered one bit.

GuyW
05-02-2010, 2:09 AM
Bump for any SD newbies...