PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 coming soon?

SirMikeAlot
04-21-2009, 3:00 PM
I just read this article and was drooling. :thumbsup: Here is the link: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/smith-wessons-mp15-22-rifle/

According to info it will be out soon (around June, MSRP under $500). Just wondering if anyone has heard about who will carry it, anyone taking preorders, etc. and how much they will sell for.

Arteel
04-21-2009, 5:12 PM
Everyone is saying it should be out around June for 450-500. so we'll see. Much rather get one of these as opposed to getting a dedicated upper for 600+.

VtotheZ
04-21-2009, 5:51 PM
WOW! Awesome cant wait

Shane916
04-21-2009, 7:55 PM
This, plus the Sig 522 and the Colt .22 are all coming out this year. Very excite.

Ronco
04-21-2009, 8:06 PM
Oh great...

I better start acquiring .22 ammo now before the hoarders get going.:willy_nilly:

BroncoBob
04-21-2009, 9:30 PM
Have to compare this to the new Sig 522. Jury still out on poly carbonate lower and upper. Must feel like the Bushmaster Carbon 15 top loader except you can drop the mag on this one.

robairto
04-21-2009, 9:47 PM
Have to compare this to the new Sig 522. Jury still out on poly carbonate lower and upper. Must feel like the Bushmaster Carbon 15 top loader except you can drop the mag on this one.

Why folks still dismiss the firearms made with polymers. I understand that you can't beat on them with a hammer yet they are tried and true in most cases. I want to see S&W and the other makers start making 9mm ARs in mass. Ammo cost will continue to push low cost ammo firing weapons to the front like you see with these AR22s

Chunky_lover
04-22-2009, 6:34 AM
Yeah probably feel cheap and break down like this plastic one.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o56/mikegigabyte/Bushmaster/IMG_0013-1.jpg

offrdmania
04-22-2009, 6:43 AM
Keep in mind that the polymers had problems due to recoil vibrations. 22's barely have recoil and I doubt that any harm would come to the upper or lower

pbrand
04-22-2009, 8:30 AM
If you own an AR-15 and shoot one often I dont think you will be happy with this rifle. Ive never shot or held an MP5 so the GSG looks and feels cool to me, but I do own an AR15 and I think I would be disappointed with all the plastic on the rifle. I could be wrong though.

Defense Shooter
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
wow... i was thinking about doing an archangel kit on a 10/22 but i think i'll wait for one of these.

SirMikeAlot
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Everyone is saying it should be out around June for 450-500. so we'll see. Much rather get one of these as opposed to getting a dedicated upper for 600+.

Exactly what I was thinking. :thumbsup: I can't wait. :hurray:

SDgarrick
04-22-2009, 7:43 PM
Some one needed to do it:
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/swrifle-large.gif

One Shot, One Dropped
04-22-2009, 9:20 PM
Do you guys think they will be able to use BlackDog magazines? Or, do you guys think it will use that ugly proprietary mag?

Seed
04-22-2009, 9:22 PM
I hope the mags come out CA legal when this thing hits the market.

Saigon1965
04-22-2009, 9:24 PM
Side by side with my HK94 - The weight and feel is similar -

If you own an AR-15 and shoot one often I dont think you will be happy with this rifle. Ive never shot or held an MP5 so the GSG looks and feels cool to me, but I do own an AR15 and I think I would be disappointed with all the plastic on the rifle. I could be wrong though.

Saigon1965
04-22-2009, 9:26 PM
I can certainly see this going for a lot more than the MSRP of 500 - The GSG is 500 - Try to find one at that price -

socalgunrunner
04-22-2009, 9:35 PM
Side by side with my HK94 - The weight and feel is similar -

I agree that the weight is similar, but the cheap plastic stock, and plastic receiver on the GSG5 do leave something to be desired.

bobbyblank
04-22-2009, 9:37 PM

Why? Is the reciver interchangeable with a regular lower? If not, then i dont see the point.

if you build an AR-22 then if you decided to build another AR, you have a lower reciver you can switch around. Buy this, and you just have another .22. I just dont see the point with the tacticool .22's such as the GSG-5 and this one. For the price of a GSG or this rifle, You can tacticool a 10/22 to the brim and still have cash for ammo, or just get a conversion kit for an existing AR, ooooor for a few more bones.. get a dedicated upper on a multi-cal lower and have an extra lower to use in a pinch...

I just dont see it going for $500 so you might as well spend the money building something you can interchange with .223 uppers, ext. Maybe its just me :thumbsup:

pbrand
04-23-2009, 8:35 AM
Why? Is the reciver interchangeable with a regular lower? If not, then i dont see the point.

if you build an AR-22 then if you decided to build another AR, you have a lower reciver you can switch around. Buy this, and you just have another .22. I just dont see the point with the tacticool .22's such as the GSG-5 and this one. For the price of a GSG or this rifle, You can tacticool a 10/22 to the brim and still have cash for ammo, or just get a conversion kit for an existing AR, ooooor for a few more bones.. get a dedicated upper on a multi-cal lower and have an extra lower to use in a pinch...

I just dont see it going for $500 so you might as well spend the money building something you can interchange with .223 uppers, ext. Maybe its just me :thumbsup:

+1!

SirMikeAlot
04-23-2009, 9:13 AM
Some one needed to do it:
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/swrifle-large.gif

Thanks. I wasn't sure how to post an image.

I certainly hope we can use blackdog mags. If not, like others said, hope they come out with 10 round mags quick. :thumbsup:

I really do like what Spikes has, but for the price of a dedicated .22lr AR you can have this M&P15-22 and a GSG. Now if you already have an AR and want to buy a dedicated .22lr upper, it will run about $600 from Spikes. I am sure it is worth every penny, but I personally would prefer an entire rifle for about $100 less than a dedicated upper.

At the end of the day I hope everyone gets all the rifles, uppers and so forth that they can afford to purchase. Whichever way you go, GSG, M&P15-22, Spikes .22lr upper, the new Sig 522 or a good ole 10/22 I am all for it. :thumbsup: I say buy 2 or 3 of each :gunsmilie:.

Arteel
04-23-2009, 12:30 PM
All personal preference. I would rather have a dedicated rifle in 22lr than switching and swapping everything around. I am not intending to buy something like this to look cool. It will be my range slut for praticing and for others to practice with to get a good feel for the AR style rifle without blowing hundreds on .223.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to get an interchangeable upper. But for the money, I would rather have a complete rifle than spend more for just the upper.

I was never really into those GSG-5's and when I do get my 10/22, it certainly wont be all tacticool. Ohh I'm fallin' hard for 22's. :D It's all your fault bobby. :)

vf111
04-23-2009, 1:49 PM
I'll skip this as I have a Spikes dedicated upper which they build on real aluminum upper receivers including the forward assist (useless on the 22lr). Beauty of the Spikes compared to the S&W (assuming the lower is only good on a 22) is a person can change from 22lr to 223 just by switching uppers and therefore don't have to buy a complete 223 AR to shoot 223. Doesn't matter to me as I have plenty of toys but may matter to someone on a tighter budget.

IDPA4U
04-23-2009, 2:36 PM
I believe the big appeal for this rifle will be that the bolt release functions like a centerfire AR. Its the one thing I wish my Spikes could do and the reason the upper isn't compatible with standard lowers. Other than just a tacticool .22 this rifle was designed to be a true inexpensive trainer for civilians and LEO. Everyone is getting hit by the cost of ammo so if a department can buy these as trainers, officers could get ten times the trigger time. I just hope its accurate, reliable, and they sell 10 round mags (I'm pretty sure the Blackdogs will not work as the operating system/bolt is very different but I hope I'm wrong).

Chunky_lover
04-23-2009, 3:15 PM
I dont see the need to get one of these unless for legal reasons in the future. My spikes conversion bolt takes about 10 seconds to change and I use the same setup im used to, I dont have to change rifles, grips, sights, etc. Since I only have 1 rifle I better get used to it and how all the parts work. Its hard enough finding 223 ammo anyways for a good price, but now all my sources for 22lr have dried up and im worried that me be going to be hard to come by.
Another thing about buying the conversion is the no 10 day wait, except for shipping and if its not in stock, but theoretically if a store had one you could shoot it the same day. It doesnt wear out any existing rifle parts, but you may have to tweak some to get it running, but for $200 it beats having to buy another rifle. With the conversion im not expecting to to dime sized groups, im expecting to have fun shooting it which I do until I have to scour the streets for more ammo. I was going to buy a gsg5 until they were so popular no one had them in stock, so I saved $300 and bought the bolt instead.

If someone gave me the new rifle I would take it, but for now I wouldnt buy one.

bobbyblank
04-23-2009, 3:51 PM
Ohh I'm fallin' hard for 22's. :D It's all your fault bobby. :)

Lol, Dont blame me, they tend to suck people in all on thier own :D

I just gave you the extra "push" off the cliff :thumbsup:

bluestaterebel
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
i like it

nukechaser
04-27-2009, 1:31 PM
I certainly hope we can use blackdog mags. If not, like others said, hope they come out with 10 round mags quick.

Hi All! Am I missing something? Why the concern about magazine capacity limited to 10 rounds? .22LR is rimfire and is therefore exempt from the A/W rules. Correct?

If not, please set me straight. I could have sworn the A/W ban was for centerfire weapons.

If I am correct, then I hope someone comes out with a 50rd mag, quickly. It be nice to have one-mag-per-box.

Thanks!

DRM6000
04-27-2009, 2:11 PM
Hi All! Am I missing something? Why the concern about magazine capacity limited to 10 rounds? .22LR is rimfire and is therefore exempt from the A/W rules. Correct?

If not, please set me straight. I could have sworn the A/W ban was for centerfire weapons.

If I am correct, then I hope someone comes out with a 50rd mag, quickly. It be nice to have one-mag-per-box.

Thanks!

aw laws are separate from mag capacity laws. you are correct, aw laws are for centerfire firearms.

10 rd limit applies to both centerfire and rimfire firearms.

Arteel
04-27-2009, 2:21 PM
Except tube fed devices right?

aw laws are separate from mag capacity laws. you are correct, aw laws are for centerfire firearms.

nukechaser
04-27-2009, 2:35 PM

Dang! I was missing something! Thanks for the clarification. I see now from some further reading that if you owned a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds prior to 01JAN00 that you can keep it. (shows you how long it has been since I bought a mag for my 10/22)

I am now fully aboard the "hope they come out with a 10-round version" bandwagon.

Thanks again for the clarification!

RAMCHARGER
04-28-2009, 2:15 PM
I like it. I'll take one :O)

jordy
05-02-2009, 3:51 PM
any word on who will be have them or if you can get in a group buy

ITZJT
05-20-2009, 7:36 PM
Dang! I was missing something! Thanks for the clarification. I see now from some further reading that if you owned a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds prior to 01JAN00 that you can keep it. (shows you how long it has been since I bought a mag for my 10/22)

I am now fully aboard the "hope they come out with a 10-round version" bandwagon.

Thanks again for the clarification!

you can keep it but can you use it with a rifle bought after that date?

:confused:and how do you tell if the mag was bought before 01JAN00?

dexter9659
05-21-2009, 8:31 AM
Saw this rifle at the NRA Show. It takes a proprietary magazine, which is currently ONLY 30 rounds. Talk down all you want about it, but I am getting one. Unless you have actually felt the rifle, I would hold your tongue.

Daddy4zack
05-21-2009, 8:38 AM
If I can find one i will be getting one also..:43:

usmcchet9296
05-31-2009, 10:46 PM
I was thinking of getting a 22 upper for my post ban registered AR but 500 for a complete rifle cant be beat

usmcchet9296
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Do we know if its CA legal?

PolishMike
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Do we know if its CA legal?

what?

Scratch705
06-01-2009, 12:47 PM
it should be, no reason why it shouldn't? considering its .22lr for one, and they do have 10 rd magazines.

Ladyfox
06-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Has anyone even seen any of these out in the wild yet? I saw in another thread that the Colt one is around and even has had some people put some hands-on time with them. However, I'm a bit leery to try for one until I see more actual hands-on reviews since it's about $100 more than the S&W one.

I'm really craving an AR chambered for .22LR and if I can get one less than a Spike's complete rifle build I'm going to be sorely tempted. Granted, I know that while spending more I'd have the ability to swap calibers but that really is not the point why I'm getting the rifle to begin with.

It's there to itch the "evil black rifle" bug I've got while not driving me into the poorhouse due to ammo costs. I mean, I've already got a .45ACP pistol and 7.62 NATO to do that. ^_^

usmcchet9296
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
The Colt looks interesting too
I would like to look at both side by side to see how they stack up