PDA

View Full Version : Weighing My 22lr Options (10/22, AR, GSG5)

Nate74
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Iíve done loads of reading on this topic but have probably confused myself beyond hope at this pointÖ but here goes.

Iím looking at a couple options for a 22lr rifle to use at my local indoor range and maybe to keep costs down when I actually find time to get to an outdoor range.

I currently have a 10/22 that I have a .920 barrel on along with some trigger mods; sort of a mini-sniper setup. Great fun at 50 yards on the bipod, but not so much off hand at 7 yards.

So Iíd like something a little more plinker-ish; open sights, etc.
Hereís what Iím considering and what I see to be the pros/cons of each. Iíd love to get some other thoughts on these of course!

1. Get another 10/22 and maybe ad a Tasco or Specter Arms S-54 stock to it. Pros: $400 and Iím good to go, already have Ruger magazines, like the familiarity with a 10/22. Cons: I donít know much about the S-54 stock or Tasco, itís just not as cool as the other options.

2. Get a conversation kit for my AR. Pros: only about 200 bucks, my Navy buddy swears by them and claims his group is still using them extensively with no problems. Cons: Iím reading a lot about how the .223 barrel isnít really set up for .22lr and that the upper may accumulate crap on the vitals, accuracy may be questionable

3. Get a dedicated 22lr upper and use it on my existing lower for a while and maybe eventually build a 22lr AR. Pros: Accurate, I get a new gun (long term):), I have a better option than the conversion kit. Cons: $600 for just the upper if I can find one, another $600 or so to finish it up. A $1200 22??? Hard to find the uppers recently.

4. Get a GSG-5. Pros: seems to be a cool looking rifle, I like the MP5 look. Cons: Iíve heard people here refer to them as ďair soft likeĒ, $600 plus another $100 for the transfer

Not in a huge rush, but would love to hear thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

pbrand
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
I have a 10/22, great fun, but not your tacticool plinker. I have tried a few tacticool options for it, krinker plinker & tapco, and I like it best as is.

I have held a gsg and it feels pretty good. I love the looks of it. However, I have read a lot of things about them and I can see where people say it feels airsoft.

I have a Spikes Tactical dedicated upper and it is amazing. You really do get what you pay for. I was originally going to do the conversion, but decided to go all out with the dedicated upper.

Knowing what I know now about your options I would'nt think twice about getting the Spikes dedicated upper. Awesome customer service/warranty. Looks and feels like a quality product. Runs super smooth and is accurate. Cleaning is easily one of its best qualities. This is the easiest .22lr I have ever cleaned. [I also have a walther p22 & savage 64b].

Nate74
04-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Yes "tacticool" is the word I was searching for :thumbsup:

I'm leaning towards the Spike's...

k0ncept
04-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I have a GSG and the only thing "airsofty" about the gun is the Stock and foregrip, but not unlike anything on an AR or similar rifel.. This rifel is rock solid and built much better than my Ruger 10/22 or my Marlin Mod 60 .22 This thing is just pure sexy! All the OG MP5 Parts from HK BOLT RIGHT ON to the GSG.. And the people who make the GSG are the ones who left HK to start GSG, and now they are getting sued BIGTIME over the GSG and HK wants its money..

Nate74
04-21-2009, 1:23 PM
Yeah, I don't fully understand the interchangability of airsoft stuff and the GSG... but it seems to open up some pretty cool options.

pbrand
04-21-2009, 1:28 PM
Yeah, I don't fully understand the interchangability of airsoft stuff and the GSG... but it seems to open up some pretty cool options.

My whole thing was that I wanted to buy a rifle that worked flawlessly out of the box. No mods and "add ons" required. I wanted a rifle that was backed by a no questions asked warranty in case anything happened. One post on AR15.com and you better believe Spikes will be popping up on their begging you to send in your problematic part. I am very impressed with the customer service I have witnessed from them.

Nate74
04-21-2009, 1:46 PM
...One post on AR15.com and you better believe Spikes will be popping up on their begging you to send in your problematic part. I am very impressed with the customer service I have witnessed from them.

That alone may do it for me. Maybe the GSG can be my Christmas present ;)

pbrand
04-21-2009, 3:01 PM
From AR15.com:

Originally Posted By fml:
I purchased a spikes kit and it ran excellent out of the box, but the adaptor tube split after 500 so rounds, less than a full box of federal bulk. i checked the spent casings and no sign of any bad ammo. called spikes, guy said he would get back with me, never heard from them, oh well.

Spikes:
Send it back and Ill replace it no questions asked.

Jaiofspam
04-21-2009, 4:13 PM
#2 if you are on a budget, you know... gotta feed the kids, plan a vacation with the wife etc etc

#3 if your single lol... GO FOR IT!!!

dchang0
04-21-2009, 5:07 PM
My new Spike's dedicated upper's firing pin broke after less than 300rnds and they were cool and told me to send it back for replacement.

It does bug me that they aren't using a hardened steel firing pin, though. Seems like it should ship with one...

viras
04-21-2009, 6:14 PM
I just purchased my first 10/22 and I'm still in my 10 day waiting period as I type this. I was gonna keep it in it's Out Of Box configuration for a while, and then eventually put a tommy gun kit on it when I have some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket :D ...

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

I was weighing the same options you were last weekend, and finally decided on the 10/22 because of it's long history and the vast number of after-market parts available for it. At one point I was leaning towards the GSG and would have gladly shelled out the cash for it before I saw the tommy gun kit... that sealed the deal for me on the 10/22. I'm gonna use it for Halloween...

This dumbass has poor trigger discipline...

http://www.caufields.com/ProductImages/halloween/480/images/00718.jpg

r08ert209cali
04-21-2009, 6:15 PM
as you said indoor range. Have you considered a browning buckmark or ruger mark 2,3 pistol.they are very fun to shoot and can be had for around $350 out the door.Just something to ponder in your quest.good luck.

mcat707
04-21-2009, 6:38 PM
I just purchased my first 10/22 and I'm still in my 10 day waiting period as I type this. I was gonna keep it in it's Out Of Box configuration for a while, and then eventually put a tommy gun kit on it when I have some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket :D ...

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

Here's a teaser for ya...There is a fungun kit currently for sale:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174761

River Jack
04-21-2009, 7:35 PM
For me, it would go like this:

1) Dedicated spike's AR-22 upper or entire rifle (assuming you can afford it). I've had great luck with mine. Looks as sweet as any other AR, functions great, feels solid as a rock, awesome gun. One of my favorites. I enjoy shooting . Get lots of questions at the range. Other people love shooting it too.

2) A WASR-22 (good luck finding one).

3) 10/22. Like others have said, there are a million ways to go this route. You can accessorize all day long, spend as much as you can afford, and build a very accurate shooter.

4) Wait for the Sig 522. I'm looking forward to the day this one becomes available to the public.

5) Although I love and sorta collect 22's, I haven't been impressed by the GSG-5. To me it feels too much like a toy. I don't like the light, plastic feel. I also don't like the look of the long barrel extension that is necessary to bring it to the requisite 26" overall lenght and 16" barrel.

CSACANNONEER
04-21-2009, 8:32 PM
Since you already have a 10-22, you already know all of the pros about them. If you get another one, you'll have interchangability of parts&mags between the two. Of course, I really like my GSG too. But, I doubt it will stand up to half the use and abuse a 10-22 does. I've got a Carbon 22 upper as well. That would be my last choice. I've been toying with the idea of getting a conversion kit instead. The most fun semi-auto, rimfire plinker I have is my WASR22. Have you considered a pump action? You can still find shooter Winchester gallery guns for under $300 if you search. I really like the '06's I have.

Nate74
04-21-2009, 8:32 PM
as you said indoor range. Have you considered a browning buckmark or ruger mark 2,3 pistol.they are very fun to shoot and can be had for around $350 out the door.Just something to ponder in your quest.good luck.

:) Robert - I smile because the summer I turned 13, I helped my dad reshingle our house. He paid me some small wage and with the money I bought a Ruger Mark II. I've had a lot of guns since then but that one holds a VERY special place in my heart.:)

I just got wrapped up with a vendor that has 1 Spike's in stock. He's supposed to get back to me in the morning on shipping. He was convinced he couldn't ship to CA so he's "checking on it."

I guess for about $400 I could do the lower half?

bplvr
04-21-2009, 8:59 PM
J-K Supply {Ryan} :thumbsup: has of late had both complete Spikes uppers and Spikes 22 lowers. Spikes makes a dedicated .22 LPK with lighter springs for the .22 and an un-notched hammer . There is just so much more you can do with the AR platform. If you use a conversion kit on a .223 the twist will be a lot slower than the 1/16 twist of the Spikes upper.

Nate74
04-21-2009, 9:08 PM
Great suggestion. It looks like I'm going to be getting that Spike's Upper. I'll start with my existing lower, but I can see selling one or two more musical toys (mixers, speakers, basses, etc.) and I'll be starting a lower for the 22:):)

pbrand
04-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Great suggestion. It looks like I'm going to be getting that Spike's Upper. I'll start with my existing lower, but I can see selling one or two more musical toys (mixers, speakers, basses, etc.) and I'll be starting a lower for the 22:):)

Believe me, you wont regret it. I sold my AK47 for my Spikes. I havent looked back once. I too did the complete build with a Spikes lower to match. I purchased mine directly from Spikes. They have plenty in stock last I checked.

Jbox
04-24-2009, 9:45 AM
Have you thought about a 10/22 with the Nordic conversion kit? Its a little pricey but if your looking for the tacticool look with the reliability of a 10/22 then you cant go wrong. I installed the kit on mine and have not noticed any difference in accuracy or performance.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/nordic-components-ar-22-lr-trainer/

Mason McDuffie
04-24-2009, 9:48 AM
I just picked up my GSG-5 on Monday and shot it Weds. I cannot tell you enough how fun that gun is. I love my 1022 dont get me wrong, but that damn GSG is freaking awesome!

Gator Monroe
04-24-2009, 9:51 AM
WASR 22 ($350.00 Hunters lodge AZ):thumbsup: Rimfire AKM !