PDA

View Full Version : AB 962 passes Public Safety, AB357 doesn't

RP1911
04-21-2009, 9:17 AM
AB962 just got voted out of Public Safety Committee. This the De Leon Ammunition registration bill.

AB357 did not pass and is held for possible reconsideration.

Read posts below for additional details.

pullnshoot25
04-21-2009, 9:18 AM
This is good, right? Like, it got trashed?

yellowfin
04-21-2009, 9:19 AM
No, it's bad, and it shows a couple of committee members are just empty shells.

SwissFluCase
04-21-2009, 9:19 AM
Not good at all.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

DarkHorse
04-21-2009, 9:23 AM
This is good, right? Like, it got trashed?

Nope. I think it means the Bill was approved for discussion on the chamber floor. Which means it is going forward. Which is bad. For us. And for freedom. :(

RP1911
04-21-2009, 9:35 AM
AB357 is now being heard

pullnshoot25
04-21-2009, 9:39 AM
Gosh dammit...FARK!

RP1911
04-21-2009, 9:40 AM
CA Sherrif's Association is against AB357

GMONEY
04-21-2009, 9:41 AM
Umm why is nordyke not working?

Mr. Magoo
04-21-2009, 9:43 AM

Nothing in 2A about the right to bear ammunition :P

mblat
04-21-2009, 9:45 AM

Why would it? This bill can be killed much easier using interstate commerce issue. Same as all bill(s) that attempted to kill internet sales of wine.

DarkHorse
04-21-2009, 9:45 AM
CA Sherrif's Association is against AB357

Seems logical.

RIght now, w/discretionary issue, the Sheriff's have a privilege they can hand out to whomever they choose (Not saying ALL sheriff's do this, but it can't be that hard to imagine that at least SOME of them act in such a manner).

Also, some people genuinely believe, for one reason or another, that letting private citizens arm themselves is bad juju. Some of these people believe that CCW holders would be more likely to shoot somebody during a road rage incident, or commit some other crime, because they are now allowed to carry a gun.

Basically, it is a power/responsibility they now have, and they don't want to give it up.

wash
04-21-2009, 9:46 AM
There is very little publicity about Nordyke.

We need to spread the word.

It can't change things if no one knows about it.

RP1911
04-21-2009, 9:54 AM
AB357 is held for reconsideration if I heard it right.

Frijolito1988
04-21-2009, 9:56 AM

i heard that too, but what exactly does that mean ?

yellowfin
04-21-2009, 9:58 AM
It means it could be reheard, but there is little chance of that unless something major happens. http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/BAClanton/hijack.jpg

PatriotnMore
04-21-2009, 9:58 AM

Yes but, there was only one Aye, and one abstain by my count, all other votes were no. The abstain was asking for a middle ground in casting a vote, I just don't see how that is possible.

RP1911
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
It means it can be brought back again for an up or down vote.

I suspect a compromise might be in the works that could get it through. I believe that was asked by the chair.

glockman19
04-21-2009, 10:07 AM
There is very little publicity about Nordyke.

We need to spread the word.

It can't change things if no one knows about it.

I called EVERY member yesterday and allerted them that 9th Circut Court of Appeals "Incorporated the 2nd amendment through the 14th amendment throught their decision in Nordyke v King"

I told them that this makes AB962 Unconstitutional and unenforceable.

Deleon is taking advantage of the fact that he is the chair of the committee. Not to mention as I do over and over, he has introduced this same exact legislationis back to back to back sessions violating Assembly Rules.

All he has to do is find ANYONE alse to sponsor it...he hasn't.

He is one dangerous politician who has ABSOLUTELY NO RESPECT for the law...the state constitution, or the federal Constitution. He is one that needs to go. Is there ANY Cal Gun member in his district? there is a campaign contribution I'd love to make.

Bruce
04-21-2009, 10:08 AM
No surprises since the Dems run the legislature. Until they're removed from office, we will get no help from either house or that panty waste governor.

evan69
04-21-2009, 10:09 AM
So they said no, but it can be brought back later? I'm a bit confused.

Macadelic4
04-21-2009, 10:42 AM
What a crappy day in the Assembly overall. It was painful to listen to the streaming audio.

CCWFacts
04-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Usually what they do for this kind of thing is let the bill die in committee. It's never heard again, so it never comes to the floor for a vote.

TO ALL WHO ARE DISAPPOINTED (which includes me):

This shouldn't be unexpected. This bill had little chance of getting out of committee. THAT'S OK! The point is to start opening up the debate. Ok, we'll try again and again. In most states that have gone shall-issue, it has taken half a dozen attempts to get the bill to pass. So, this is our second attempt. That means we need to do it at least 4 more times.

evan69
04-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Usually what they do for this kind of thing is let the bill die in committee. It's never heard again, so it never comes to the floor for a vote.

TO ALL WHO ARE DISAPPOINTED (which includes me):

This shouldn't be unexpected. This bill had little chance of getting out of committee. THAT'S OK! The point is to start opening up the debate. Ok, we'll try again and again. In most states that have gone shall-issue, it has taken half a dozen attempts to get the bill to pass. So, this is our second attempt. That means we need to do it at least 4 more times.

I think you are talking about ab357, and I am talking about ab962. haha. Now I'm really confused.

CSDGuy
04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Yep. Exactly. It's probably dead for this session, but the possibility is there for it to come back. Like suppose the progeny of Nordyke threatens to blow 12050 out of the water this session... this bill might be able to be quickly resurrected in an attempt to moot the court case, at political cost, but that might be "better" for those in power than to lose in court.

And I'm referring to AB357.

CSDGuy
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I think you are talking about ab357, and I am talking about ab962. haha. Now I'm really confused.
AB 962 has a ways to go before it becomes law. I would imagine that once Nordyke is finalized, there'll be much more concern about whether or not that bill would be enforceable.

CCWFacts
04-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Oh yeah, I posted in the wrong thread!

evan69
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
AB 962 has a ways to go before it becomes law. I would imagine that once Nordyke is finalized, there'll be much more concern about whether or not that bill would be enforceable.

Thanks. Let's hope somebody displays some common sense in this bill's future...

CALI-gula
04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
The Public Safety Committees ALWAYS pass gun bills across the board - I've never seen them turn one away or vote no. Looking at who sits on these committees it appears they are RIGGED to pass anti-2nd Amendment bills.

jgaffney
04-21-2009, 12:12 PM

No bill ever really dies in the California Legislature until the session ends in January 2010. If you follow the news, you remember how hundreds of bills were churned through the Legislature in its closing days last year. Many of these bills had either died in committee or on the floor. Then, they are magically resurrected, gutted, completely re-written and sent to the floor.

What this means is that we can never rest againt the relentless attacks from liberals like DeLeon who think they know what's best for us.

glockman19
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
so which is it. Legislators are ignorant of the law or disrespect it. Either way not people I want making laws up. How about you?

demnogis
04-21-2009, 2:13 PM
These politicians are like diapers...

Hopi
04-21-2009, 2:29 PM
I called EVERY member yesterday and allerted them that 9th Circut Court of Appeals "Incorporated the 2nd amendment through the 14th amendment throught their decision in Nordyke v King"

I told them that this makes AB962 Unconstitutional and unenforceable.

Deleon is taking advantage of the fact that he is the chair of the committee. Not to mention as I do over and over, he has introduced this same exact legislationis back to back to back sessions violating Assembly Rules.

All he has to do is find ANYONE alse to sponsor it...he hasn't.

He is one dangerous politician who has ABSOLUTELY NO RESPECT for the law...the state constitution, or the federal Constitution. He is one that needs to go. Is there ANY Cal Gun member in his district? there is a campaign contribution I'd love to make.

This is a violation of Joint Rule 54 (c). Can we get clarification on how and why this violation is being ignored by the PSC?

yellowfin
04-21-2009, 2:39 PM
This is a violation of Joint Rule 54 (c). Can we get clarification on how and why this violation is being ignored by the PSC? They're anti gunners, so rules don't apply to them.

Hopi
04-21-2009, 2:43 PM
They're anti gunners, so rules don't apply to them.

Heh.

Calguns.net has been making anti-gunners follow the rules for 4 years now.

Bizcuits
04-21-2009, 3:05 PM
These politicians are like diapers...

Not true at all, you eventually change and throw away your diapers.

CAL.BAR
04-21-2009, 9:08 PM
You can't tell me anyone is actually surprised by this one (the makeup of the committee is 5-2 democrat)

CCW holders are less than 1 tenth of 1% of the CA population (in all counties - including those where you CAN get one)

KylaGWolf
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Well just because it made it out of committee doesn't mean it will make it further. Time to crank up the letters to your rep saying you do not want this approved or you will do all you can to make sure they are not re-elected.

glockman19
04-22-2009, 6:26 AM
Who do we petition to get DeLeon Repremanded/cencured/ or best, removed as chair for Contempt.

Would a complaint to the CA DOJ be the appropriate body?