PDA

View Full Version : Starting La County Sheriff's Academy 5/11

realmswalker
04-21-2009, 6:48 AM
Wish me luck everyone, I start the LA County Sheriff's Academy on May 11.

1911su16b870
04-21-2009, 7:08 AM
Good Luck! Buy your self two good pairs of shoes and start running now! :)

Eagle Five Zero
04-21-2009, 7:11 AM
Hydrate .... then run...hydrate..pee...then run. Keep your wits about you in the Academy - and think TEAMWORK and MUTUAL SUPPORT.

trapshot68
04-21-2009, 7:41 AM
Cooperate, to Graduate.

Don't take things personally.

Chose honesty rather then looking bad.

Triad
04-21-2009, 7:50 AM
Just be a team player. Don't get mad at the people who are slower or aren't picking up the material as quickly. Help them - they will be your partners one day.

yzernie
04-21-2009, 8:29 AM
Good luck, learn fast and stay under the radar!!

sgtbuck
04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
TEAMWORK and the eye of the tiger....... Good luck and keep us posted.:)

SuperSet
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Congrats and best of luck bud!

realmswalker
04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the support guys, I am already a custody officer with the department and have already been through an academy although a shorter one. I at least have that in my favor.

I heard a rumor we are going to get issued S&W M&P's. If we are I can give a pretty good review on how the gun holds up in extended shooting sessions and combat courses.

I have been running and am up to a little over three miles, I have also been doing circuit training classes with the DI staff so I think I will be ok physically.

As for staying under the radar, no way that will happen. all the DI staff know who I am through work. I think I will be class sergeant as soon as possible so I can knock it out quick.

One thing I am certainly not looking forward to is being pepper sprayed again, I hated that.

Dirtbiker
04-21-2009, 11:13 AM
No kidding on the OC spray. I'd rather take a bath in CN than be OCed again.

How are your pushup skills?? My class did 500 (total) the first day.

ilbob
04-21-2009, 11:13 AM

I saw bits and pieces of a reality series based on a class there.

Good luck.

trapshot68
04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
May 11? That Whittier or COC?

realmswalker
04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
My pushup skills are OK, I can push out up to 50 at a time, hopefully be up to 60 when black monday comes around.

It's at whittier.

It's not just OC spray, it's the freeze +p which is a mixture of OC spray and tear gas. Bleh.

fullrearview
04-21-2009, 1:50 PM
Thanks for all the support guys, I am already a custody officer with the department and have already been through an academy although a shorter one. I at least have that in my favor.

I heard a rumor we are going to get issued S&W M&P's. If we are I can give a pretty good review on how the gun holds up in extended shooting sessions and combat courses.

I have been running and am up to a little over three miles, I have also been doing circuit training classes with the DI staff so I think I will be ok physically.

As for staying under the radar, no way that will happen. all the DI staff know who I am through work. I think I will be class sergeant as soon as possible so I can knock it out quick.

One thing I am certainly not looking forward to is being pepper sprayed again, I hated that.

Good... stay in the radar.... It helps getting that job(Don't know if your sponsored). These are tough times in CA LE. Get as far ahead of the class as you can, while carrying them with you. Obviously being a team player is paramount, but there are plenty of things in the academy that are individual.

last but not least.....Have fun!!!!:)

Ron-Solo
04-21-2009, 3:56 PM
Best of luck ! Hang tough, start studying radio codes and the "Core Values" now. I guarantee if you don't know the core values on Black Monday, you'll get plenty of push-up practice. Don't 'double tap' any tests, or you're done. Wash out and it may be a while before you get a chance to recycle. Hiring has really slowed down. Hopefully you'll be done before the real hot weather gets here (Although today was a scorcher)

The rumor that you will use the S&W M&P 9 is probably pretty good. I know several of the range staff and they are ready to go with it, just waiting on final approval at the executive level.

LASD Class 190, 08/04/78 to 12/01/78

:thumbsup:

OIF_VET
04-21-2009, 5:23 PM
What facility are you working at now?

p24
04-21-2009, 5:34 PM
How are your pushup skills?? My class did 500 (total) the first day.

We did about that many on Day 1 of CTC-III 08 (California Highway Patrol), I washed out due to injury, and hoping to go back... (Damn shin splints and bum knee grrr)

pushups... the bain of PT...

good luck!

realmswalker
04-21-2009, 7:31 PM
What facility are you working at now?

Star Center, Recruitment Unit.

Jwood562
04-21-2009, 8:26 PM
good luck. I think everyone touched on all the important topics of a police academy. My academy was the best six months of my life that I NEVER want to do again. haha

good luck and be safe

a308garand
04-22-2009, 6:54 PM
Good luck to you. The LET working our jailer spot is slated for the very same academy class.
Get those radio codes memorized and help out your fellow recruits.
No kidding on the push-ups and running, fun fun fun :)

97F1504RAD
04-22-2009, 7:10 PM
Good luck

CaliTheKid
04-22-2009, 8:24 PM
Best of luck-- none better than the Tan and Green!

veeklog
04-22-2009, 9:10 PM

My buddy start Star Center I think on May 18th, a week behind your class. I only wish I could be there on his first day so I could throw a flash bang like the DI's did with my class a long time ago!!

Tonight I was getting ready for an OP in the same parking lot as the extended police academy, and as I was getting dressed, they kept on calling me "sir." I'm too young to be called sir, but I was amused. Good luck, keep your head straight, and don't let the games rile you up.

DR-G
04-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats. Stay in the fight and never fall out:thumbsup:

Jonathan Doe
04-23-2009, 4:05 PM
What is the class number? I usually teach a 3 hour block for the academy on crime scene issues.

Darklyte27
04-23-2009, 4:31 PM
congrats on applying and being accepted
gl

CnCFunFactory
04-24-2009, 3:23 AM
Just be a team player. Don't get mad at the people who are slower or aren't picking up the material as quickly. Help them - they will be your partners one day.

....or possibly the next sheriff or chief :)

one417
04-30-2009, 7:59 PM
Good luck. I'll be looking for you :chris:.

BTW, the S&W MP9's were un-authorized and the current class (COC) had them taken away, boxed and replaced with 92F's due to weapon performance issues.

eta34
05-01-2009, 7:49 AM
Congrats on your acceptance. Unfortunately, you will be attending a second-tier academy. Orange County being the ONLY first tier academy, of course :)

heyeugenio
05-01-2009, 10:02 AM
good luck. I think everyone touched on all the important topics of a police academy. My academy was the best six months of my life that I NEVER want to do again. haha

good luck and be safe

Well said...if I can just add one thing, it's not an army of one. You are ONE class and WE are ONE brotherhood.

Make sure you support the "slugs" as well as the "aces". On any given day, both at the academy, and more so, in the field, you too may find yourself in either boat, or even worse, alone waiting on back-up. The men and women next to you in class may be the first ones there to help you.

Be safe and KNOCK 'EM DEAD!:thumbsup:

FLIGHT762
05-03-2009, 6:26 PM
The one thing that kept me out of trouble and to make it to retirement without too many bumps in the road is: Not only doing the right thing when everyone is looking, but doing the right thing when no one is looking. That is what we get paid for. It takes a strong person to admit to mistakes when they're made.

I've seen many Officers terminated for not being truthful on minor mistakes. Always be truthful.

Good luck to you.

CaptMike
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Congratulations

Make sure you know your Core Values before you start and read that recruit training manual cover to cover and in detail when you receive it. good luck and keep your head up. Stay safe

Cesardajr
05-08-2009, 2:49 PM
LEO's rule to live by

You Lie... You Die...

Good Luck

7222 Hawker
05-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Don't volunteer to get tazed!!!

johnsta
05-11-2009, 6:28 PM
So today was your first day, right? How was it?

Unit74
05-11-2009, 7:54 PM
Don't volunteer to get tazed!!!

I don't think he'll have a choice. I don't know about LA Co, but in SD, all the academy recruits
get a free ride.

Prowler
05-11-2009, 8:08 PM
How does the LASD academy equate to military boot camp?

CaliTheKid
05-11-2009, 8:35 PM
Not even close "in your face" stress wise but there are a lot of different areas you can wash out in so it brings a different kind of stress. Also it's not live in like CHP for example.

bluestaterebel
05-12-2009, 1:50 AM
no more time for caluns?

Jwood562
05-12-2009, 8:10 AM
where is the OP at???? Probably no time for calguns haha

stick with it bro!

CaliTheKid
05-12-2009, 8:12 AM
He's polishing shoes LOL.

Unit74
05-12-2009, 9:47 AM
He's polishing shoes LOL.

And studying his 10 codes at the same time:chris:

SoCalDep
05-12-2009, 7:54 PM
As a leader in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department...

Ah heck...I'm sure you know the rest by now....In seven years you can forget them like me...But don't tell the brass I said that....

CaliTheKid
05-12-2009, 10:20 PM
And studying his 10 codes at the same time:chris:

While on the grinder pushing. :helpsmilie:

Jonathan Doe
05-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Ah heck...I'm sure you know the rest by now....In seven years you can forget them like me...But don't tell the brass I said that....

I never had to learn it. We never had it then. Now, I cannot memorize it even if I tried.

Ron-Solo
05-14-2009, 9:14 AM
I never had to learn it. We never had it then. Now, I cannot memorize it even if I tried.

Amen! :thumbsup:

Ron-Solo
05-14-2009, 9:18 AM

That's part of the problem we have now. Everyone thinks they're a freaking Leader and there's too few out doing the real police work.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians.........

God bless the line troops !

retired
05-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Also amen. I just saw this thread and wish to offer my congratulations also to the OP. Ron-Solo and the others on the dept., even the "outsider" from that 2nd tier dept. (OC):p:D had some good advice.

I had the pleasure of working with Ron-Solo at CJ at the beginning of our careers and Walnut/San Dimas many years later and he is good people, as I'm sure all the others are.

Class #180, June 25, 1976 to September 22, 1976. Yes, it was only 17 weeks long. It was actually 16 weeks, but Sheriff Pitchess was on vacation and since he wanted to be at the graduation, we did an extra week.;)

Ron-Solo and I attended what I like to call the "Men's" Academy at Biscauliz, not the air conditioned one at Star. Oh, we had window a/c in our portable trailer classes, but it seemed the ones covering the cadets always broke down after lunch, during the hottest part of the day.:eek: Of course the a/c for the D.I.s in the rear of the class, always worked.

DON'T fall asleep!! (Thankfully I never did, but some did and oh my...)

Good luck being part of the #1 Department in the country.

johnsta
05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I just took my polygraph. I have a very clean record with NO drug use. I don't think they believed that at all. They grilled me on my polygraph...Told me I was flag on all drug questions. I am completely honest in saying that there was no drug use.

Is this normal?

Ron-Solo
05-20-2009, 1:14 PM
I just took my polygraph. I have a very clean record with NO drug use. I don't think they believed that at all. They grilled me on my polygraph...Told me I was flag on all drug questions. I am completely honest in saying that there was no drug use.

Is this normal?

Oh yeah. They're just trying to see if you change answers. If they didn't believe you, they would have hit you with a battery of questions about having sex with small furry animals........jk :43:

HotRails
05-20-2009, 1:48 PM
That's part of the problem we have now. Everyone thinks they're a freaking Leader and there's too few out doing the real police work.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians.........

God bless the line troops !

Unfortunately, this is happening everywhere, not just in police departments. usually these types are the ones who are incompetent at doing anything productive and like to blab alot and kiss #%$. They want to move up somewhere where they feel they won't be accountable for any actual work.

Jonathan Doe
05-20-2009, 4:36 PM
When I had my background check, the investigator asked me how come I didn't do smoking, drinking, drug, and all the usual bad things. I said I just didn't do it, because I was not interested in it. What more could I say? I cannot change the answers, because I know what I know and believe what I believe.

MIB
05-25-2009, 8:58 PM
Sure you haven't!:rolleyes: Just kidding;) The same thing happened to me on my poly a few years ago...like solo said they're just testing to see if you change your answers and means they didn't find anything to jam you up over. Be proud, most people can't say what you did honestly.

Is this normal?