PDA

View Full Version : Xdm Legal in CA?

Daddy4zack
04-20-2009, 9:10 PM
Looking to get a Springfield XDm .40 are they legal in CA? I saw they have 16 round mags.. so thats not good for CA. :mad:is there a version of this gun that is CA legal. Thanks for the newbee question.

Aaron

sorensen440
04-20-2009, 9:11 PM
They are legal in california but not on the safe list

That means if your LEO you can buy it or if you keep your eyes peeled you might find a used one from an leo

mzagg
04-20-2009, 9:23 PM
They are legal in california but not on the safe list

That means if your LEO you can buy it or if you keep your eyes peeled you might find a used one from an leo

Exactly. You cannot buy it yourself because they are only manufactured with high-cap mags.

But, if you got it private party from a LEO then, maybe...

sorensen440
04-20-2009, 9:26 PM
Exactly. You cannot buy it yourself because they are only manufactured with high-cap mags.

But, if you got it private party from a LEO then, maybe...
The high cap mags are not why you cant buy it yourself its the fact that its not on the safe list

You could buy it and buy the mags as rebuild kits and then permanently modify them to take no more then 10 rnds

Ishoot
04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Seems to be very nice handguns but so much trouble just to pick one up. Hopefully SA can make a Cali legal one but I wouldn't hold my breath..

sorensen440
04-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Seems to be very nice handguns but so much trouble just to pick one up. Hopefully SA can make a Cali legal one but I wouldn't hold my breath..
Hopefully now that we got incorporation SA wont have to

Daddy4zack
04-21-2009, 7:29 AM
I didnt mean to post this in the Gallery thread.. please delete and i will repost.
thanks for the replys guys.
Aaron

Sheepdog1968
08-08-2009, 9:50 PM
I seiously doubt SA get it on the list. The drop test isn't the problem. The problem is that it is a newly designed gun and as of 2007 newly designed guns in CA need to have it such that you can't fire it when the magazine is removed. XDm isn't designed to do this and I can't see them doing it for CA.

Blue
08-08-2009, 9:58 PM
I seiously doubt SA get it on the list. The drop test isn't the problem. The problem is that it is a newly designed gun and as of 2007 newly designed guns in CA need to have it such that you can't fire it when the magazine is removed. XDm isn't designed to do this and I can't see them doing it for CA.

PITA feature IMHO anyways.

NineteenElev3n
08-08-2009, 10:02 PM

+1. That's what it is, which is officially called the magazine disconnect safety. Our state laws suck! Hopefully, the incorporation will help us out.

VtotheZ
09-04-2010, 9:35 PM
Still not available in CA?

cmth
09-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Still not available in CA?

Unless SA produces a version with a magazine disconnect, or that law is somehow nullified, it will never be available in CA through the normal channels. They can only be acquired through a PPT with a LEO or a personal importer, which is someone who moved here from another state and brought the gun with them. And as SA has not produced any 10 round magazines (to my knowledge) for these guns, the magazines would have to be permanently altered to hold no more than 10 rounds. If you really, really want one, they can be had, but the effort may not be worth it. Expect to pay a premium if you do find one.

Style_Front
09-25-2010, 1:02 AM
You could buy it and buy the mags as rebuild kits and then permanently modify them to take no more then 10 rnds

Are there any good tutorials on how to modify magazines? I actually live in Hawaii but I'm restricted to the same 10 round limitation and wondered how do I modify the magazines to meet the standards of the law.

immaculate
10-21-2010, 4:06 PM
Are there any good tutorials on how to modify magazines? I actually live in Hawaii but I'm restricted to the same 10 round limitation and wondered how do I modify the magazines to meet the standards of the law.

I found a good post on how to modify the mags on CG. here is the link.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=188043
http://www.vaportrails.us/html/xdm.html

If you're lazy/lack materials and tools like me, you can buy them blocked from Tim @ Valkyrie Arms like I did - he did a great job on mine (see thread here) (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5166091&postcount=245)

and here's a photo to complete the thread =]

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1096/5103482236_c74f730ab0_z.jpg

zovich
10-24-2010, 1:44 AM
i might be getting an xdm from an individual,:D so what you are saying is if you get this hi capacity gun from someone that you can block the gun. form shooting 16 rds? so if i use this gun as my home security i wont get in trouble if i shoot an individual doing a home invasion to my house??

Cyc Wid It
10-24-2010, 2:44 AM
i might be getting an xdm from an individual,:D so what you are saying is if you get this hi capacity gun from someone that you can block the gun. form shooting 16 rds? so if i use this gun as my home security i wont get in trouble if i shoot an individual doing a home invasion to my house??

Not any more or less scrutiny than if you used a gun that appears on the roster. Make sure the magazine alterations are permanent.

T-Gill
06-06-2012, 9:28 PM
I have a question. Ok, so I want in the worst way to get a Springfield XDm .45 compact pistol. With it not being on the list of legal hand guns by the CaDOJ, I want to get it through PPT in another state that a family member lives in. My question is; if I get this gun with it not being on the CaDOJ, would it still be alowed as a CCW as long as it has the 10 round mags?

Avedis
06-07-2012, 3:27 PM
Tablerock Arms charges $780 for a XDM9 5.25in + SSE CONVERSION. You could have them do the SSE, then buy the blocked mags from Tim @ Valkyrie Arms

soul
06-12-2012, 10:51 PM
SSE is easier, the only other option is in state PPT. I got both my XDMs through Valkyrie, the XDS is next sometime this year

Sent from my Windows Phone 7.5