PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of selling body armor?

FUSE
04-20-2009, 7:48 PM
Can anyone shed some light on how to privately sell personally owned body armor? This question is for level IV ceramic plates.
Would the calguns for sale forums be a good place to post?
Are there any legal requirements that need to be met?
What is the best and safest way to do a transaction?
Is there any liability if the person who buys it goes nuts?
Is there anyway of protecting the seller?
(I've seen body armor for sale at the gunshows so I'm assuming that it would be ok if someone purchased some, then later wanted to get rid of it to someone else. Since there is no background check or anything, at least I think. Either way, I'd like to learn more about this from all of you guys out there.) Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Fuse-

edward
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Can anyone shed some light on how to privately sell personally owned body armor? This question is for level IV ceramic plates.
Would the calguns for sale forums be a good place to post? Yes it would :thumbsup:
Are there any legal requirements that need to be met? No, IIRC.
What is the best and safest way to do a transaction? What is the best and safest way to do any transaction? Cash upfront, no givesees-backsees :p
Is there any liability if the person who buys it goes nuts? Not quite sure, logic would tell you no, but I wouldn't put it past the grief stricken relative of a victim to push a lawsuit. Don't know if that has ever happened though.
Is there anyway of protecting the seller? See above, there are no laws regarding body armor except that if you use it in a crime you get a sentence enhancement, and IIRC, something having to do with gang members. That part I could just be delusional on though.
(I've seen body armor for sale at the gunshows so I'm assuming that it would be ok if someone purchased some, then later wanted to get rid of it to someone else. Since there is no background check or anything, at least I think. Either way, I'd like to learn more about this from all of you guys out there.) Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Fuse-

All info is to the best of my knowledge and should not be counted on one bit. ;)

Saigon1965
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Can't sell to a felon - That's it - Post the ad -

Dont Tread on Me
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Can't sell to a felon - That's it - Post the ad -

I think it is more a felon cannot posses. How do you know he/she is a felon? I'm just trying to say that I think the burden lays with the buyer.

Saigon1965
04-20-2009, 10:39 PM
You're right - I stand corrected -

johnny_22
04-21-2009, 7:36 AM
CT requires a face to face transaction. No other state had this limitation, since I last researched (2004).

FUSE
04-22-2009, 8:59 PM
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Add is posted..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2362930#post2362930

calnurse
04-22-2009, 9:19 PM
Check with the CA DOJ website