PDA

View Full Version : OC GOP Central Committee to Vote Tonight on "No Confidence" Measure

OrangeCountyCCW
04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
The Republican Party of Orange County Central Committee is meeting tonight, and will consider a resolution expressing "no confidence" in appointed Sheriff Sandra Hutchens' CCW policy. The resolution passed the Resolutions Committee 7 to 0.

The SAFE OC political action committee today called upon the Central Committee to pass the "no confidence" resolution. A copy of the letter sent to the elected officials who are members of the Committee ex officio is attached.

The Central Committee meets at 7 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency in Irvine.

yellowfin
04-20-2009, 11:27 AM
How strong is the language of the resolution?

OrangeCountyCCW
04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
This is the text as published by Red County:

--
Whereas, the Republican Party of Orange County firmly supports the positions outlined in the California Republican Party platform which declares:

“The United States Constitution guarantees the right of its citizenry to keep and bear arms. One of the first acts of a totalitarian society is to disarm its people. California’s gun control laws only serve to disarm law abiding citizens, not criminals. We oppose any further gun control legislation and support the right of all California citizens to own and bear guns and ammunition for any lawful purpose. We call for statewide legislation to allow qualified law abiding citizens in California to carry concealed weapons. We support allowing citizens to use deadly force to protect lives and property. We also support including all of these rights in the California constitution.

Finally, we call for the elimination of waiting periods to purchase firearms and instead support complete implementation of instant background checks.”

And whereas, the Republican Party of Orange County supports and promotes principles of limited government, individual responsibility, and the defense of freedom with fair and equal treatment of law-abiding citizens; and

Whereas, the Sheriff of Orange County, a registered Republican, recently launched efforts and policies to retroactively review, revoke, expire and eliminate several hundred previously issued and valid carry concealed weapons permits or CCWs, adversely affecting permit holders.

Whereas, these revocations without cause, violate an agreed-upon contractual relationship for a defined period of permitted use between the Sheriff’s Department and CCW permit holders, resulting in a limiting of freedom and abuse of discretion by an officeholder.

Whereas, the Sheriff claims she is merely following “the law” yet Sheriffs in California are empowered with wide discretion regarding issuance of CCW permits, and Orange County recently ranked 43rd of 58 California counties in CCW permits issued per capita; and

Now, therefore be it resolved that the Central Committee of the Republican Party of Orange County adopts a position of “NO CONFIDENCE” in the CCW policy of the Sheriff and urges the Sheriff to revise her policy.

The Central Committee also urges the California legislature to adopt AB357 to make California a “shall issue” state as it relates to the citizens right to carry a concealed weapon.

yellowfin
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Can that be amended to be much more strong? Take out the wide discretion part and change it to the sheriff is in flagrant disregard of the Constitution and in violation of moral, ethical, and professional standards. "No confidence" is far too weak.

tango-52
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
It is my understanding that OCCCWS has contacted key members of the OC Republican Council this morning following the Nordyke decision and that it will be brought up. :thumbsup:

OrangeCountyCCW
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
It is my understanding that OCCCWS has contacted key members of the OC Republican Council this morning following the Nordyke decision and that it will be brought up. :thumbsup:

*Great*! I for one think it's a good thing if the Committee hears from multiple people, multiple organizations and multiple PACs about this issue. That can't do anything other than *increase* the importance of this matter on their agenda.

Roadrunner
04-20-2009, 1:26 PM
I would love to be there but I'm out of the area. Does anyone think that Hutches will bring her goons to intimidate the audience?

tango-52
04-20-2009, 1:29 PM
I would love to be there but I'm out of the area. Does anyone think that Hutches will bring her goons to intimidate the audience?

This is not a Board meeting, she does not control the security. She will probably just bring her security detail. Maybe only 20 or 30 goons. LOL.

Roadrunner
04-20-2009, 1:34 PM
This is not a Board meeting, she does not control the security. She will probably just bring her security detail. Maybe only 20 or 30 goons. LOL.

LOL thanks for that.

Is it mandatory for her to be there? Does anyone anticipate her saying anything? What are the ramifications of her symbolically flipping them the bird and not showing up? Will comments be accepted from the audience?

Today has been an incredible day. I wonder how long this positive energy will last?

RomanDad
04-20-2009, 2:43 PM
Can that be amended to be much more strong? Take out the wide discretion part and change it to the sheriff is in flagrant disregard of the Constitution and in violation of moral, ethical, and professional standards. "No confidence" is far too weak.

"No Confidence" is the parliamentary way of saying "You Suck."

(and remember its not the language..... ITS THE EFFECT.... EYES ON THE BIG PICTURE..... THESE PEOPLE CONTROL THE PURSE STRINGS FOR THE ORANGE COUNTY REPUBLICAN CAMPAIGN MACHINE.... THIS RESOLUTION CLOSES THAT PURSE TO HER).

OrangeCountyCCW
04-20-2009, 3:03 PM
This is correct. In parliamentary systems of government, a resolution of "no confidence" will often bring down the officeholder. Were that it were so here with respect to our appointed sheriff!

A resolution of "no confidence" will be a HUGE blow to Hutchens and will cut off a number of sources of funding and support. However, the work will not be done. I am continually surprised to see a higher level of support for her, even after all she's done, than what I would have expected. Many are still misinformed about her actions (for example, thinking that CCW and the Reserve Deputy programs are the same) and/or are held captive by "identity politics" (the "it's so wonderful that we have a female sheriff" mentality).

Her first fundraiser was rumored to take in $75,000. There will be a number of high level donors backing her even if the Party doesn't. I have a feeling a victory tonight will be the beginning of the battle; not the middle, and definitely not the end.

Paladin
04-20-2009, 8:18 PM
Now, therefore be it resolved that the Central Committee of the Republican Party of Orange County adopts a position of “NO CONFIDENCE” in the CCW policy of the Sheriff and urges the Sheriff to revise her policy. The vote isn't a "no confidence" vote on her, it is a no confidence vote on her CCW policy. The resolution doesn't say "You suck," it says "Your CCW policy sucks. Please change it."

Despite that, I hope it still has the effect you guys say it will.

RomanDad
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Long night guys....

There were several attempts to kill the resolution.... Ultimately they dropped the "No Confidence" language and replaced it with "We oppose her CCW policy and want her to support AB357".

That passed by a vote of 41 to 14. And the door is certainly left open for us in the future to revisit "No Confidence".

All in all, one hell of a day.

Roadrunner
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Was Hutchens there? Did she say anything? Did others voice their opinion?

RomanDad
04-21-2009, 6:25 AM
Was Hutchens there? Did she say anything? Did others voice their opinion?

She was not in attendance, nor would she have been allowed to speak if she were as I do not beleive she is a member of the committee.

Assistant Chief Jack Anderson was there in his capacity as an executive member of the committee. He spoke passionately and eloquently on the Sheriff's behalf, and in favor of her policy, however his comments did not resonate with the vast majority of the committee members in attendance. He can certainly without a doubt go back to the Sheriff this morning and say he gave it his best effort, as in doing so he ruffled quite a few feathers.

yellowfin
04-21-2009, 8:02 AM
Get him fired, then. She can't go sooner but he can.