PDA

View Full Version : CALL on AB357 CCW NOW - Hearing on Tues AM

Rivers
04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I just spoke with a staffer at the Vice-Chair's office (Republican) and he said that the phone traffic was big a few weeks ago but has since died down to nothing. With the meeting tomorrow AM, he recommended that we light up their phones and faxes TODAY, keep the pressure on and make sure they know that this is not a forgotten issue.

It took me all of 15 minutes to call all the Dems. (The staffer suggested that the "R" column supports AB357.) If you need to watch your time, call the Democrats. Be nice, be concise and make your voice known.

Copied from another's post on AB357:

ASSEMBLY COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY:

Assembly Member Jose Solorio (D-69) - Chair
(916) 319-2069
Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Curt Hagman (R-60) - Vice Chair
(916) 319-2060
Assemblymember.Hagman@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Warren T. Furutani (D-55)
(916) 319-2055
Assemblymember.Furutani@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Danny D. Gilmore (R-30)
(916) 319-2030
Assemblymember.Gilmore@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Jerry Hill (D-19)
(916) 319-2019
Assemblymember.Hill@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Fiona Ma (D-12)
(916) 319-2012
Assemblymember.Ma@assembly.ca.gov

Assembly Member Nancy Skinner (D-14)
(916) 319-2014
Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov

Aegis
04-20-2009, 1:30 PM
I called each of the Democrats on the list. We need to keep the phone calls going.

If AB357 does not make it out of the committee hearing, then we may not see shall issue CCW for a long time even with incorporation.

MudCamper
04-20-2009, 1:32 PM
It could help to remind them that today's Nordyke v King decision strikes down Hickman v Block, which ruled that our discriminatory issue CCW permit system was legal because we do not have an individual right to keep and bear arms in California. We will eventually win shall-issue CCW in the courts. The legislature could take the initiative and pass AB357 instead, saving many dollars in court costs.

supersonic
04-20-2009, 1:52 PM
Called 'em all. Took less than 5 minutes. Assemblyman Gilmore's secretary told me the "YES list" from these calls is HUGE. Encouraging, but I just don't see these PRK politicians allowing this to even happen (no matter what it takes;)).

dasmi
04-20-2009, 1:56 PM
Call them up!

Rivers
04-20-2009, 1:59 PM
I called Vice-Chair Hagman's office again right after the Nordyke decision was announced. I advised the staffer of the importance of this decision and the inexpensive opportunity the Legislature had to actually fix a flawed law BEFORE they had to pay pro-gun/civil rights attorney's fees from the law being overturned. He was not aware of the significance of Nordyke so I referred him to..... Calguns.net!

I also suggested that he look at what happened in Ohio and the road it took to "shall issue" ccw, courtesy of its courts and a distaste for loaded open carry.

supersonic
04-20-2009, 2:23 PM
I called Vice-Chair Hagman's office again right after the Nordyke decision was announced. I advised the staffer of the importance of this decision and the inexpensive opportunity the Legislature had to actually fix a flawed law BEFORE they had to pay pro-gun/civil rights attorney's fees from the law being overturned. He was not aware of the significance of Nordyke so I referred him to..... Calguns.net!

I also suggested that he look at what happened in Ohio and the road it took to "shall issue" ccw, courtesy of its courts and a distaste for loaded open carry.

Bravo, man. You deserve a Heineken.:thumbsup: Speaking of Heineken, if AB357 passes tomorrow, anyone in SacTown who can show me proof of a CCW denial under McGinny (or that other fruitcake he succeeded): COLD ONES are on ME!!!!!!!!

jasilva
04-20-2009, 2:33 PM

I mentioned these considerations to ALL the Assembly members on the committee when I called them.

AEC1
04-20-2009, 2:53 PM
Call made AND E-mail sent

evan69
04-20-2009, 3:01 PM
I am emailing them all now, what should I say when I call though?

ChrisSig
04-20-2009, 3:12 PM
Called them all. Furutani's voicemail box was full :D

shooter4ever
04-20-2009, 3:22 PM
Here's what I've sent to them - hopefully it's more appealing to their frame of mind:

Dear Assembly Member,

Please vote to support AB 357. It’s a win-win proposition for California.

Providing uniform regulation across the State will benefit everyone:

It will create jobs and help CA collect taxes on revenues: CCW applicants will have to take training classes, purchase ammunition, supplies, equipment, etc. In addition, the State will collect “Licensing Fees.”
It will reduce crime because it will be riskier for the criminals to attack law abiding citizens. Moreover, statistics show that only a negligible percentage of CCW holders are involved in any criminal behavior.
Issuance of more CCWs will not change the balance of power for the Police as only law abiding citizens will be able to get a CCW permit.
Given current budget shortages and increasing unemployment, having more people with CCW will help reduce crime without additional strain on the CA budget.

If you are truly concerned with the well-being of the CA State you’ll vote to pass AB 357.

lawaia
04-20-2009, 3:24 PM
e-mails sent to all listed.

CCWFacts
04-20-2009, 3:25 PM
I called them all.

It was funny, when I called Solorio's office, I said, "I'm calling to ask Assemblymember Solorio to support a bill that is coming up in Public Safety tomorrow." She said, "Ok, thanks, I'll let him know", and it sounded like she was going to hang up. I said, "wait, I didn't tell you which bill." She said, "is this AB 357? the phones have been ringing all day on it." Ha ha.

nicki
04-20-2009, 3:29 PM
We have 7 people who have committed to be at the hearings, if at all possible, try to make it.

This will be the first round of Cal gun bills post Nordyke. The Victim Disarmanent VD advocates have got to be crapping in their pants.

Nicki

nick
04-20-2009, 3:37 PM
Called them again. I'll send an email, too.

stover
04-20-2009, 3:59 PM
Just emailed all of the members.

Vin496
04-20-2009, 4:15 PM
Just emailed all, will now call.

EDIT

Furutani"s email keeps getting kicked back to me.

Standard
04-20-2009, 4:44 PM
Emailed them all

Bizcuits
04-20-2009, 6:17 PM
We have 7 people who have committed to be at the hearings, if at all possible, try to make it.

This will be the first round of Cal gun bills post Nordyke. The Victim Disarmanent VD advocates have got to be crapping in their pants.

Nicki

What's the location of the hearings. I'm off at Midnight, but am thinking about going.

supersonic
04-20-2009, 8:42 PM
Man, I'm starting to get a bit worried that I'll end up having to buy a KEG!!!!!!!:p