PDA

View Full Version : What does the CA DOJ say about making an AK from a flat?

pfl101
04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
It's been pointed out that the BATFE will allow private parties not holding any FFL privileges to make, for their own use (initially, at least), an AK from a flat and a parts kit.

What does the CA DOJ say about this? Are there issues regarding the potential of a "zip gun" charge like that served against Theseus?

Do you have a prove that you bent the flat, etc. in order to make a gun built at a "build party" legit in the eyes of the authorities?

Josh3239
04-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Do you have a prove that you bent the flat, etc. in order to make a gun built at a "build party" legit in the eyes of the authorities?

The burden of proof is on the state. Remember Miranda? You have the right to remain silent? That is considered an acceptable defense. The state needs to prove that someone else rolled your flat, you don't have to prove squat.

bwiese
04-19-2009, 11:44 PM
The DOJ BoF probably will say nothing or something incorrect.

It's irrelevant.

Zipgun charges don't fly on a real normal gun design (as opposed to a pen gun, boomstick, etc.) and which is exempt from ATF tax payment.

Remember that burden of proof is on the accuser. Now, iIf you are getting questioned about this by a *state*/*local* LEO, assert your innocence/ legality and refer further questions to a lawyer.

[If you are being questioned about this by a *Federal* agent, do not say ANYTHING - including assertions of innocence! - other than, "I need to consult with my lawyer" due to 18 USC 1001 and risk of "Martha Stewart" situations.]

Quiet
04-20-2009, 1:44 AM
I believe some calguns members have sent in Firearm Ownership Record (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) forms to CA DOJ BOF in order to register their home built AK pistols and they have recieved confirmation from CA DOJ BOF that they were registered as handguns.

GuyW
04-20-2009, 1:45 AM
...do a search for "zip gun" and "zipgun" here...

pfl101
04-20-2009, 4:24 AM
Bill,

Elsewhere, you mentioned a guy being sent some pre-bent Ewbanks flats (receivers, essentially). Without going into who this person was, can you tell me how to avoid having this happen? Did they ask for the stuff or was it included without solicitation/prior notice and then an attempt made to charge them for its presence?

Is buying a Romy G kit and asking for NO full auto parts and no receiver/flat to be sent enough to keep you out of trouble from a purchasing standpoint?

Gun broker has many Romy kits for sale and the people seem amenable to removing the auto crap from the package. As for the flat, one could buy directly from AKbuilder.com, presumably engaged in a safe transaction?

RomanDad
04-20-2009, 4:44 AM
...do a search for "zip gun" and "zipgun" here...

Searchy no workie