PDA

View Full Version : French MAS 36/51 Cali legal or AW?

Steyr_223
04-19-2009, 4:29 PM
Looks interesting..But is it legal here? A bolt action with a GL? An know a Semi-auto rifle with a GL is an AW. But a bolt action with GL?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127313073

Saigon1965
04-19-2009, 4:58 PM
This is the last piece to my French collection - But it would be neutered because of the GL -

Steyr_223
04-19-2009, 6:08 PM
This is the last piece to my French collection - But it would be neutered because of the GL -

Whats odd is I have seen the Mas 36-51 with the GL intact for sale at the Cow Palace show and at least one store in the South bay since back around 2002 or 2003..

River Jack
04-19-2009, 6:24 PM
To answer your question: a GL on a bolt action does not make it an AW, as I believe only semiautomatic centerfire rifles (either named by make & model or those having certain "evil" features (including GLs) were/are designated as AWs; however the GL (with or without the rifle) is classified as a "destructive device" under CA law and therefore illegal to own.

Saigon1965
04-19-2009, 6:25 PM
I think I know the vendor you're talking about - He has the gun there but no price tag - I had enquired and he said that he couldn't legally sell it as is thus no price tag - I do believe some folks think that it doesn't apply to C&R -

bigstick61
04-20-2009, 2:13 AM
I believe it depends on the diameter of the GL. If it is a NATO spec one, then it is illegal. If it has a diameter of .6 in or less, it should be legal.

M. Sage
04-20-2009, 4:52 AM
Looks interesting..But is it legal here? A bolt action with a GL? An know a Semi-auto rifle with a GL is an AW. But a bolt action with GL?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127313073

A grenade launcher is a destructive device in CA (despite the fact that you can't even get grenades for the damn thing), so no - it's not legal.

Keep your eyes open; in the 60s, IIRC, the French re-barreled some of these rifles in 7.62x51, put a birdcage flash hider on them and issued them. I have a friend who has one and thinks it's awesome.

crazy
05-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I am new to Calguns. Lots of reading to do. Where can I find the exact laws about the gl on a MAS 1936-51. I have seen them for sale in CA before but it was a few years ago.

M. Sage
05-08-2009, 5:03 AM
I am new to Calguns. Lots of reading to do. Where can I find the exact laws about the gl on a MAS 1936-51. I have seen them for sale in CA before but it was a few years ago.

The GL falls under PC12031: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12301.php

Specifically PC12031(a)(4):

(4) Any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device of a diameter greater than 0.60 inch, or any launching device therefor, and any rocket, rocket-propelled projectile, or similar device containing any explosive or incendiary material or any other chemical substance, other than the propellant for that device, except those devices as are designed primarily for emergency or distress signaling purposes.

The same applies to the Yugo Zastava 59/66 (the "Yugo SKS"). The GL has to be altered to be non-functional before it can come in state.

To illustrate how moronic this law is, note that they consider putting dry ice in a pop bottle to be the same as having an anti-tank rocket. :rolleyes:

singleshotman
05-08-2009, 8:44 AM
I agree that this whole thing makes no sense.If i had enough money, i'd build me a 16"MLR-that's British for muzzle loading rifle(cannon to you).That's 100% legal, but would cost a lot of money, would love to shoot one.

crazy
05-08-2009, 8:55 AM
Next question. How do you remove the GL or is it part of the barrel? I found one for sale for a good price. I also remember them at gun shows back around 2000 +/-. It was at the Cow Palace and they were being sold. One person was filling out paper work while I was admiring one. If they weren't legal, why would a dealer be selling them?

ravenbkp
05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
The muzzle device is threaded on the barrel and may involve a lock ring .....its bee awhile..... once you get that off the remove the sliding ring on the barrel as that is part of the system too..... um mines a 56 so details may vary, if it has a flip up sight the drum it hinges on is held by a circlip work that off and push the drum out the other side and you are done express the parts to a cousin out of state for safe keeping.

M. Sage
05-08-2009, 5:00 PM
No. Don't bring it into the state until the parts are removed!

IIRC, they were tack-welding sleeves over the 59/66 muzzle devices so that a grenade wouldn't fit anymore.

crazy
05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I think some of you are talking about a SKS. I am asking about the French MAS 1936-51 bolt action rifle. Does it come off the same way?