PDA

View Full Version : examples of gun control for antigun control paper

darkiceman56
04-19-2009, 1:20 PM
I think I'm posting in the right section, I need help on getting examples for the "regulation of the use of guns" (I used Webster's definition). I just need a short example. Thanks!

B Strong
04-19-2009, 1:32 PM
Are you looking for an example of a specific law, or a general description of the concept?

darkiceman56
04-19-2009, 1:47 PM
a general description of the concept (for the regulation of the use of firearms)
ex: regulation of selling is that buyer must be 18/21 for long gun/handgun + waiting & background check

CaliforniaLiberal
04-19-2009, 2:20 PM
Ya gotta go to original sources kid....

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

CaliforniaLiberal

B Strong
04-19-2009, 2:22 PM
Straight from the horse's...oops.

http://www.caag.state.ca.us/firearms/

darkiceman56
04-19-2009, 2:25 PM
Thanks for links guys!

yellowfin
04-19-2009, 2:58 PM
Use some of the nasty ones like New York's Sullivan Law or CA's Mulford Act.

Dr Rockso
04-19-2009, 3:07 PM
I think one of the best examples is DC's total handgun ban (Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975). Then you can talk about the logic behind the Heller decision, which overturned it. As far as foreign gun control laws go, Britain's Firearms Act of 1997 (outright ban) is a good example, especially when coupled with articles like this one (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article2328368.ece).

nicki
04-19-2009, 3:26 PM
In the mid 1970's, Jamaica passed a very draconian gun law, it was so bad that 60 minutes did a story on it, they turned the country into a police state and crime went up 300 percent.

They set up special "Gun Courts", they banned movies and TV shows from even showing guns, I mean, everything and the kitchen sink.

Police could and did seal off whole neighborhoods and did warrantless searches.

If you want gun control, do a google search. If I was doing a paper and wanted to shock people, I would show this.

Bear in mind, that alot of countries where they have Victim disarmanent, they have also lost other "rights" as well, of course, for the public safety.

I assume you are in school. In hostile territory, I adjust my argument that I am not against reasonable gun regulations for demostrated real public saftey concerns.

Certainly there has to be a balance between individual rights and compelling public safety concerns[/I], but the various gun proposals aren't gun control laws, because criminals won't obey the various proposals anyway.

If prohibition is effective social policy, how did we wind up with the Mexican and Columbian Drug Cartels?

Disarming potential victims means that only criminals and law enforcement will have guns and the population gets caught in the cross fire, hence, promoting Victim Disarmanent(VD) is a insane public policy.

Gunfacts.com is also a great source for info.

Nicki

cousinkix1953
04-20-2009, 6:33 AM
In the mid 1970's, Jamaica passed a very draconian gun law, it was so bad that 60 minutes did a story on it, they turned the country into a police state and crime went up 300 percent.

They set up special "Gun Courts", they banned movies and TV shows from even showing guns, I mean, everything and the kitchen sink.

Police could and did seal off whole neighborhoods and did warrantless searches.

If you want gun control, do a google search. If I was doing a paper and wanted to shock people, I would show this.

Bear in mind, that alot of countries where they have Victim disarmanent, they have also lost other "rights" as well, of course, for the public safety.

I assume you are in school. In hostile territory, I adjust my argument that I am not against reasonable gun regulations for demostrated real public saftey concerns.

Certainly there has to be a balance between individual rights and compelling public safety concerns[/I], but the various gun proposals aren't gun control laws, because criminals won't obey the various proposals anyway.

If prohibition is effective social policy, how did we wind up with the Mexican and Columbian Drug Cartels?

Disarming potential victims means that only criminals and law enforcement will have guns and the population gets caught in the cross fire, hence, promoting Victim Disarmanent(VD) is a insane public policy.

Gunfacts.com is also a great source for info.

Nicki

And now Jamaica has to deal with a nutcase who is trying to hi-jack a Can-Air plane to Cuba at gun point. Not one of those network news imbeciles even mentioned that guns are illegal in GonjaLand. Ammo is illegal too; but what did you expect from those pot smoking politicians, who belong to saint Bob Marley's Rastafarian Church...