PDA

View Full Version : PPT question, 5 guns per year?

Oldnoob
04-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi, just a quick question. Was there a law says that we can only ppt out 5 guns per year? or was I thinking something else?

Shane916
04-19-2009, 1:09 PM
Yeah. Do you want the PC for it?

B Strong
04-19-2009, 1:09 PM
Hi, just a quick question. Was there a law says that we can only ppt out 5 guns per year? or was I thinking something else?

"NOTE: The infrequent sale, lease, or transfer of firearms between individuals - meaning five or fewer sales per year of any number of handguns or irregular and occasional sales of other firearms is allowed. However, such sales/transfers must be completed through a dealer licensed pursuant to Penal Code section 12071."

Oldnoob
04-19-2009, 1:19 PM
"NOTE: The infrequent sale, lease, or transfer of firearms between individuals - meaning five or fewer sales per year of any number of handguns or irregular and occasional sales of other firearms is allowed. However, such sales/transfers must be completed through a dealer licensed pursuant to Penal Code section 12071."

Sorry, I'm kind of slow here. So this mean, I can PPT in or out as many as I want, but I can't only SELL (usually means to ffl store) 5 per year. Am I correct?

DDT
04-19-2009, 1:35 PM
It would seem to read 5 handgun PPT events (of as many handguns as you like) plus occasional PPTs of other firearms. This doesn't have any effect of selling them to a dealer because it appears to only impact the sale of firearms "between individuals."

B Strong
04-19-2009, 2:47 PM
Sorry, I'm kind of slow here. So this mean, I can PPT in or out as many as I want, but I can't only SELL (usually means to ffl store) 5 per year. Am I correct?

No - you can only sell a maximum of 5 handguns per year through PPT, you could sell as many as you'd like to an FFL.

No restrictions on how many PPT purchases you make.

Librarian
04-19-2009, 4:06 PM
No - you can only sell a maximum of 5 handguns per year through PPT, you could sell as many as you'd like to an FFL.

No restrictions on how many PPT purchases you make.

Odd. You already posted the correct answer, now this.

PPT stands for Private Party Transaction.

A transaction may include any number of firearms, but as a seller you are restricted to 5 transactions per year.

PC 12070 (c) (1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being
concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar
year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person.
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without
regularity.

Oldnoob
04-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Ok, So I CANNOT transfer out/sell through PPT more than 5 handguns per year.
So was this per calender year or I need to keep tracking when I transfer out my first gun?

FortCourageArmory
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
So was this per calender year or I need to keep tracking when I transfer out my first gun?
No....You may PPT any NUMBER of handguns in a year but the maximum number of handgun sales TRANSACTIONS per year is limited to 5 or less. That means you can PPT 10 handguns to your buddy today in one PPT transaction and then 10 more next month in another transaction and so on as long as you have 5 or fewer total handgun transactions per year. Making sense?

ke6guj
04-19-2009, 11:14 PM

Here's the code;

(A) For pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being
concealed upon the person, less than six transactions per calendar
year. For this purpose, "transaction" means a single sale, lease, or
transfer of any number of pistols, revolvers, or other firearms
capable of being concealed upon the person.

Its 5 transactions per calendar year, with a transaction being any number of handguns being transfered to a single person.

Oldnoob
04-20-2009, 6:35 PM
I see, thanks guys. I guess I need to plan things ahead from now on. I'm down three already, only two more and year is not half way pass yet.

The SoCal Gunner
05-19-2009, 11:17 AM
So what is the consensus about putting a gun on consignment? Does that apply to the "less than 6" transactions?

weezil_boi
05-20-2009, 12:08 AM
the solution... rather than focus on selling fewer than 6 times per year... figure out how to buy 10 times per year ;)

Mayhem
05-20-2009, 12:23 AM
So whats the penalty if you make 6 or more transfers per year?

ke6guj
05-20-2009, 12:33 AM
So whats the penalty if you make 6 or more transfers per year?

12070. (a) No person shall sell, lease, or transfer firearms unless he or she has been issued a license pursuant to Section 12071. Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

ugly1
05-20-2009, 12:46 AM
so, just to be sure we beat this dead horse thoroughly, this limit of 5 or less applies to handguns only?

ke6guj
05-20-2009, 12:50 AM
yes, 5 or less applies only to handguns.

For long guns, the definition of "infrequent" is not quantified.

12070(c)(1) As used in this section, "infrequent" means:
(B) For firearms other than pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, occasional and without regularity.

WHenderson
05-20-2009, 8:42 AM
I did not know this, thanks guys. -W