PDA

View Full Version : High Capacity Magazine Permit w/ OLL

eltee
04-19-2009, 9:33 AM
Can somone (dealer) with a Cal. DOJ High Capacity magazine permit use his highcaps in an OLL with Raddlock? I went and did a search and looked at the flowchart a number of times. Neither resulted in specifically addressing the issue.

My initial guess is NO, because it's my understanding that someone with legally owned highcap mags (owned before the ban date) cannot put them into an OLL and I am applying that logic to the use of highcaps by a highcap magazine permit holder. However, I'm double checking.

soopafly
04-19-2009, 9:40 AM
Large capacity magazine permit or not, ANY semi-auto centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds is defined as an AW. Having a large cap mag permit does not exempt you from AW law. The flowchart covers this.** The large cap mag permit only covers, well, large cap magazines. It does not cover rifle configuration pertaining to AW status.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h59/soopafly_photos/Picture1.png

BigDogatPlay
04-19-2009, 9:41 AM
Putting a magazine with a capacity above 10 in an OLL with any evil features manufactures an AW. Having a permit to sell high / standard capacity magazines wouldn't trump the AW laws as I understand it.

No evil features and pre-ban mags can be used.

B Strong
04-19-2009, 9:52 AM
You're correct eltee - you can't use high-caps in a OLL with a maglocking device.

High-caps are only legal for use in non-featured OLL builds.

hoffmang
04-19-2009, 10:05 AM
An FFL would need an AW permit to place a 11 or more round magazine in a centerfire rifle with features and a mag lock.

However, if you had an AW permit, you just wouldn't use a mag lock.

-Gene

bwiese
04-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Can somone (dealer) with a Cal. DOJ High Capacity magazine permit use his highcaps in an OLL with Raddlock? I went and did a search and looked at the flowchart a number of times. Neither resulted in specifically addressing the issue.

My initial guess is NO, because it's my understanding that someone with legally owned highcap mags (owned before the ban date) cannot put them into an OLL and I am applying that logic to the use of highcaps by a highcap magazine permit holder. However, I'm double checking.

As Gene said above.

Just to clarify, the Hicap Mag Permit is ONLY for hicap mags and does not change any restrictions on AWs.

Hicap mags & AWs are covered under two completely separate bodies of law: the only place where there's a bit of collision is the alternate 12271.1PC generic AW definition, "semiauto centerfire rifle w/fixed mag holding over 10 rounds".

eltee
04-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for confirming that it is a NO.

soopafly
04-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for confirming that it is a NO.
I hope you understand why the answer is no, and that it has nothing to do with the large cap mag permit.

And to clarify this statement:
...it's my understanding that someone with legally owned highcap mags (owned before the ban date) cannot put them into an OLL...
This is not the correct understanding. You indeed can use a large capacity magazine, detachable no less, on an OLL as long as the OLL does not have any prohibited features.

packnrat
04-19-2009, 4:04 PM
As I see it all the talk is about "oll",
not with standing would it be legal for me to use my "standard cap" mags (15 / 30 count) in my m1carbine?
or must I go out and buy some aftermarket 10 rounders?

packnrat
04-19-2009, 4:05 PM
And yes all owned before the ban.

JeffM
04-19-2009, 4:18 PM
I plan on using my pre-ban large capacity magazines in an OLL with a radd-lock installed.

...the OLL radd-lock has two positions.

I plan on using the first setting (locked mags < 10 rounds of course) when it's used with SB23 features. I'll set the radd-lock to the second setting (detachable mags) after removing the AW features and use my large-cap mags.

So yes, it is ok to use large capacity magazines in an OLL with a radd-lock installed, in some cases.

pewpewguns
04-19-2009, 5:05 PM
As Gene said above.

Just to clarify, the Hicap Mag Permit is ONLY for hicap mags and does not change any restrictions on AWs.

Hicap mags & AWs are covered under two completely separate bodies of law: the only place where there's a bit of collision is the alternate 12271.1PC generic AW definition, "semiauto centerfire rifle w/fixed mag holding over 10 rounds".

Where do we report to register our pre-2001 mags?

ohsmily
04-19-2009, 5:07 PM

Huh??? :confused:

ohsmily
04-19-2009, 5:07 PM
not with standing would it be legal for me to use my "standard cap" mags (15 / 30 count) in my m1carbine?

Why would you NOT be able to and why are you questioning whether you can? I assume your M1 Carbine doesn't have a maglock device.

eltee
04-25-2009, 9:13 AM
If a guy (dealer) with the high cap mag permit wants to use post-ban hicaps in a rimfire for "testing" purposes at the range (i.e., Spike's dedicated 22LR lower+upper, 10-22, etc) is that permissable? I've seen the text of the permit and in addition to importation / exportation permission the FFL is permitted to, "...the activities associated thereto specified in Penal Code sec. 12020." 12020 doesn't specifically address using a mag in a gun.

wash
04-25-2009, 3:42 PM
I plan on using my pre-ban large capacity magazines in an OLL with a radd-lock installed.

...the OLL radd-lock has two positions.

I plan on using the first setting (locked mags < 10 rounds of course) when it's used with SB23 features. I'll set the radd-lock to the second setting (detachable mags) after removing the AW features and use my large-cap mags.

So yes, it is ok to use large capacity magazines in an OLL with a radd-lock installed, in some cases.
I would like to point out that features or not, a centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that takes more than 10 rounds is an "Assault Weapon".

So if you install that standard capacity magazine with the radlock in the locked position you have created an "Assault Weapon".

As for the permit holder with standard capacity rimfire magazines, they can legally posess the magazines and there is no law against using legally posessed standard capacity magazines in a featureless or rimfire semi-automatic rifle. I don't think the pretense of testing is required at all.

I don't think a person who has illegally acquired a standard capacity magazine could be prosecuted for using it (once again in a featurless or rimfire semi-auto rifle), only the importation/manufacture which is hard to prove.

Sniper3142
04-25-2009, 6:20 PM

WTH are you talking about.

You do not (currently) have to register greater than 10 round magazines... period.

They have NO SERIAL NUMBERS normally anyway.

Young Version
04-25-2009, 6:31 PM
A hi-cap magazine ceases to be an independent entity when it's loaded in a BB-equipped rifle. At that point, you have a fixed-magazine rifle that carries more than 10 rounds, which makes it an assault weapon.

When it's fixed in the rifle, it's part of the rifle rather than a separate part.

CSDGuy
04-25-2009, 6:34 PM

And yes all owned before the ban.
The answer is this: Is your M1 Carbine a listed Assault Weapon? Does it have any "evil features" in addition to the detachable magazine? Just follow the flowchart. On an "featureless" rifle, you can use magazines that are >10 rounds, as long as you legally possessed them in California prior to the ban...

And as the poster above states, one you go Fixed Magazine (as in NOT detachable without the use of a tool) capacity >10 rounds is forbidden.