PDA

View Full Version : LAME--Spike's .22LR firing pin broke after only a few hundred rounds

dchang0
04-18-2009, 10:37 PM
My newest acquisition, a Spike's .22LR upper, just died after about 300rnds. The firing pin split inside of the bolt and fell out the back of the BCG.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why was it so weak? I was surprised to find that it's the relatively weak alloy that the rest of the kit is made of, instead of a hardened steel.

I'm sure Spike's will replace it under warranty, but it would sure be annoying for me to go through one or two firing pins every time I go to the range--it's ridiculously easy to burn through .22LR in a single range trip.

nakoomba
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
i have fired 1000's of rounds all different velocities and haven't had any broken firing pins. Not sure why yours broke so quickly maybe you should ask the spike's guys what can cause that.

Jicko
04-18-2009, 10:45 PM
My newest acquisition, a Spike's .22LR upper, just died after about 300rnds. The firing pin split inside of the bolt and fell out the back of the BCG.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why was it so weak? I was surprised to find that it's the relatively weak alloy that the rest of the kit is made of, instead of a hardened steel.

I'm sure Spike's will replace it under warranty, but it would sure be annoying for me to go through one or two firing pins every time I go to the range--it's ridiculously easy to burn through .22LR in a single range trip.

Check on BlackDogMachine's website, they got upgraded parts. I think that is a known weak link in the design....

Did you "dry fire"?

dchang0
04-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Check on BlackDogMachine's website, they got upgraded parts. I think that is a known weak link in the design....

Did you "dry fire"?

Dang known weak link... Just checked BDM and their heat-treated firing pin says "will not work with Spike's Tactical conversion kit." Grea-ate!

Nope, didn't dry fire. Just went to the Appleseed event in Corona and put hundreds of rounds downrange in a fairly nonstop manner. Maybe I just got a lemon firing pin...

Seesm
04-18-2009, 11:46 PM
call spikes I bet they can get you a new one easy... in life things break... its not if it is WHEN... no matter what you have...

offrdmania
04-19-2009, 8:11 AM
It may just be that billet that they turn them out of had a weak point in it. No worries, Spikes will take care of you

Chunky_lover
04-19-2009, 8:53 AM
Over 4 thousand rounds with original firing pin, I suggest buying the firing pin kit and recoil spring kit as spares, but when one breaks im sure spikes will send replacement since the bolt has a lifetime warranty, that way you spend $60 on repair parts and can have it running instantly, then contact them about the broken part and they probably will send a new part for free. I also bought alot of e clips and plastic washers from this one site here in ca. You put the plastic washer against the e clip so the recoil of the bolt wont break the clip, that is another known weak area ( the e clip ). Spikes may be working on a new part but for now this is what some people are doing.

http://www.bondcar.com/gunstuff/st22/recoil_buffer.jpg

Parts http:
//www.mcmaster.com/#90295a070/=1iii0p (http://www.mcmaster.com/#90295a070/=1iii0p)
http:
//www.mcmaster.com/#98408a117/=1iii0w (http://www.mcmaster.com/#98408a117/=1iii0w)

Shipping doesnt show up in the checkout but was under $5 to san diego, came in a couple days.

If anyone wants a few of these parts I can mail some out, since I have a boat load of them.

Seesm
04-19-2009, 12:45 PM
that washer is a killer idea btw....

Chunky_lover
04-19-2009, 2:43 PM
You can also use tiny o rings, but they only last about 1 session. Havent tried the nylon washer yet, but I have it installed, it also may change the tuning, but after a few hits it will flatten out a little.

Born2Lose
04-19-2009, 4:53 PM
If anyone wants a few of these parts I can mail some out, since I have a boat load of them.

I just got the conversion kit and haven't gotten to take it out yet. I also live in SD. Could you mail me a few spares?
Thanks.

PS what is the difference between the bright spring and the dark spring they ship with the kit?

Chunky_lover
04-19-2009, 7:43 PM
When I got mine I wasnt lucky enough to get an extra spring, they only send them out if they have extra, but i did order replacement springs and they arent the same color and lengths, so I dont think it means anything.

dchang0
04-19-2009, 8:25 PM
Thanks, guys, for the help, especially the idea about the nylon washers. I'll definitely get that--I'll PM you my mailing address.

Oh, if it helps to know, when I opened up my AR, there was a lot of little silver-colored flakes in the receiver. I didn't figure out where these came from until I saw the firing pin and the rear face of the bolt carrier where the hammer strikes--both had been worn through.

Also, I had a lot of failure to feed problems resulting in the hammer striking the bottom edge of the bolt carrier and then driving the bolt home but not firing, so that may have resulted in the early failure of the firing pin.

Oh well, I'll learn to carry spare parts.

Thanks!

nakoomba
04-20-2009, 1:00 AM
The 22lr doesent like notched 2 stage hammers like the one in some 2 stage triggers. If you are using one of those triggers you should replace it.

dchang0
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I read that warning that came with the upper and am not using a notched hammer. It's a regular MILSPEC single stage. I *didn't* replace the hammer spring with the weaker one, because I switch uppers and lowers.

Chunky_lover
04-23-2009, 3:47 PM
Well I got around to trying out the new e cilp I ordered, with the plastic washer. No problems, I fired around 300 rounds and had the normal 4 stovepipes. The washer was barely crushed so should last maybe 1000 rounds before needing to be replaced.

To those of you I sent the parts to let me know if they come and also if you get charged postage. I happened to mail one yesterday with another package at the post opffice and they felt it up and asked what was in there, I told them and they wanted more postage for special handling. I said ive mailed out 5 of them with no returns yet, and they said it could tear up there machines:eek: I usually put them out in my mail box.
So who knows I wrapped the parts in tape so there flat but im not sure if they will make it through there machines in one piece or there just trying to get more money from me. So there could be a chance of extra postage due but I doubt it, just let me know if they come in and if the envelope survived.

Born2Lose
04-23-2009, 4:30 PM
I got the clip and the plastic washers in the mail a few days ago. (thanks again)
Took mine out today to Ocotillo Wells for the first run.
The washer is already pretty crushed after about only about 200 rounds. I didn't do anything with the E clip as i didn't know what or how to do it.

I ran almost flawlessly on Winchester 333 bulk packs and had quite a few FTE, FTF, and Stovepipes with the Federal Red Box bulk packs. I even ran one magazine with the Remington Golden bullets and what a dissaster that was. I had two seperate stovepipes that caused it to fire out of battery. Thank God it's only a .22.
Also when i switched back to .223 to blow the crud outta the gas tube and brake some junk shot out and went 8 feet back and behind me and got my friends forehead and leg. It was just a minor burn (not even red after an hour) but the way he reacted i might as well have just shot him in the leg.

Chunky_lover
04-23-2009, 4:36 PM
I have a good trick to clean out the gas tube, I have a air nozzle with a 6 inch long metal tip that fits perfectly in the barrel, I squirt some gun scrubber in the gas tub and let it drain towards the barrel, then with a free hand I plug up the barrel at the chamber side and blow the air out the gas tube, making it free from buildup as I can see the liquid flowing out into my upper chamber area.
Usually around 1000 rounds the tube will get clogged up enough it wont cycle 223 for about 5 rounds, but it will clean itself out, I dont mind spending a few minutes to do it at home and save money on 223 ammo, that and I use a regular button for the mag release so I dont have to change it out to shoot 223.

Born2Lose
04-23-2009, 4:46 PM
That sounds good to clean it out. Mine's a monsterman grip so it only take a minute to thow the regular grip on or off.
I didn't trim the spring at all. It's still odd to me that the Federal had as many problems as it did since everyone raves about it.

Jicko
04-23-2009, 4:53 PM
When I got mine I wasnt lucky enough to get an extra spring, they only send them out if they have extra, but i did order replacement springs and they arent the same color and lengths, so I dont think it means anything.

If you contact them saying that you didn't receive that spring, they will mail one out for you.

The replacement spring is for the purpose if you want to "tune" your spring.

Jicko
04-23-2009, 5:00 PM
I use a regular button for the mag release so I dont have to change it out to shoot 223.

Raddlock seems to be the best.... if you want to switch between locked and detachable mag...

Chunky_lover
04-23-2009, 5:01 PM
Wish I knew about calling them for the extra spring, mine didnt come with one so I ordered the extra spring kit from them. I use american eagle, and federal value pack blue box, they are exactly the same ammo just different fps, both made by federal. My spring is 3 coils smaller then they recommend and I have a lighter hammer spring that came with my recoil spring kit. Havent used my new springs yet since I have such good luck now with my setup. Golden bullets dont even fit in the chamber, and some cci also dont fit. That may be causing alot of problems if the brass is a hair to big and the chamber doesnt close tight every shot.

Chunky_lover
04-23-2009, 5:04 PM
Raddlock seems to be the best.... if you want to switch between locked and detachable mag...

Tried the raddlock but seemed to have to push hard to eject the mag, basically im only going to shoot 22lr through this setup since its so much cheaper, and I really like the feel of the regular button, once you go regular mag button you dont go back.:) BTW I do use the prince 50 mag button with the set screw hole incase I want to top load.

Born2Lose
04-23-2009, 5:10 PM
Or the new red screw in button they sell to convert to bullet button to detachable in like 10 seconds.

Jicko
04-23-2009, 5:20 PM
Or the new red screw in button they sell to convert to bullet button to detachable in like 10 seconds.

The one that is INSIDE the BB feels too small..

The external one that you put on... you can easily loose that piece..

Black Majik
04-23-2009, 6:02 PM
Mike broke somewhere around 20K+ rounds. I tried the BDM titanium firing pin and got mediocre reliability (light strikes). Called up Angela and they sent me a new pin.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/spikesbolt9-9-08001.jpg

Still tickin'. They'll take care of you.

Chunky_lover
04-23-2009, 8:06 PM
Mike broke somewhere around 20K+ rounds. I tried the BDM titanium firing pin and got mediocre reliability (light strikes). Called up Angela and they sent me a new pin.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/RChang824/spikesbolt9-9-08001.jpg

Still tickin'. They'll take care of you.

20,000 rounds seems quite impressive for a firing pin, did you ever clean that bolt or is it one of the black types

Black Majik
04-23-2009, 8:21 PM
20,000 rounds seems quite impressive for a firing pin, did you ever clean that bolt or is it one of the black types

It was the older pre-nickel bolts. I think a lot of it contributed to firing on an empty chamber. I now use the BDM mags with the bolt hold-open followers.

pbrand
04-23-2009, 8:48 PM
This is the very reason why I would not want to purchase a GSG or any of those more plastic style tacticool 22's. If the parts can break on something that is high quality what in the world will happen with those things. And when it does happen can you call the company 20,000 rounds later and expect to have your part replaced?

BTW...I too have an AR raddlock and I am not very impressed with it. I was using it for my Spikes upper and that thing sucks once in the unscrewed position. It feels flimsy. I am going to put on the BB with the little red attachment and try that. Of course I could always just install my dedicated Spikes Multi cal lower with a regular magazine release since its rimfire.

dchang0
04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Tried the raddlock but seemed to have to push hard to eject the mag

Really? Wow, mine is so easy to push that I have accidentally dropped the mag twice now, when I wasn't careful with my trigger finger when keeping it off the trigger.

Radd's good about fixing you up, so if it's a problem still, send it back to him for a replacement, or you could trade with pbrand, since he wants one that's a tighter fit.

dchang0
04-23-2009, 11:17 PM
It was the older pre-nickel bolts. I think a lot of it contributed to firing on an empty chamber. I now use the BDM mags with the bolt hold-open followers.

I wonder if the nickel's all that good because of all the nickel flakes I found in my lower. What's the primary alloy of the Spike's conversion kit? It doesn't seem to be steel--too light. Aluminum would probably be too soft. They should've made it of stainless steel with a hardened steel pin and polished it super smooth...

Chunky_lover
04-24-2009, 6:41 AM
My nickel doesnt chip off, ive even filed it where the hammer rubs and it still looked plated. My lower to me looks like either sand particles or bits of brass from the shells.

Born2Lose
04-24-2009, 7:37 AM
My nickel doesnt chip off, ive even filed it where the hammer rubs and it still looked plated. My lower to me looks like either sand particles or bits of brass from the shells.

+1 on that. I see pieces of either the brass from the shells or the copper platting from the bullet.

Chunky_lover
04-24-2009, 8:08 AM
thats what it is the copper plating, probably gets a little shaved off sliding into the chamber

dchang0
04-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeesh, no wonder my firing pin broke early. If the nickel was flaking off and yours was tough enough to withstand filing...

Yeah, you might need to polish your feedramp a bit to stop the copper shaving; that definitely shouldn't be happening.

I think I'm going to buy a CMMG kit for my regular AR as a backup--I plan to qualify rifleman with the Spike's, but if it gives me problems like it did, I'll be blocked yet again by equipment failure. And trying to qualify with 5.56 is too pricey and somewhat more difficult because of the recoil.

Chunky_lover
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeesh, no wonder my firing pin broke early. If the nickel was flaking off and yours was tough enough to withstand filing...

Yeah, you might need to polish your feedramp a bit to stop the copper shaving; that definitely shouldn't be happening.

I think I'm going to buy a CMMG kit for my regular AR as a backup--I plan to qualify rifleman with the Spike's, but if it gives me problems like it did, I'll be blocked yet again by equipment failure. And trying to qualify with 5.56 is too pricey and somewhat more difficult because of the recoil.

Yeah I tinkered around with polishing the feed ramp and slightly filing it, also the area where it drags over my hammer ive filed it smooth and the rails. Not sure how often to do it but ive done it twice in the 4000+ rounds ive put through it. Been meaning to work on the chamber hole a little since some brands are a hair bigger. I figured I would let it break in a little more before tweaking it.

dchang0
05-12-2009, 5:04 PM
Update: Spikes replaced the pin for free under warranty, and with the parts Chunk_Lover sent over, it's better that it was before. I cut my charging handle's latch spring to improve the bolt-close on initial charge, cut off 1/4" for the nylon washer, and am no longer having any trouble.

I'll be testing various brands of ammo and tuning it further till it runs like a champ.

Flying Bones
07-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Just had the same issue today. Snapped the pin...It was a major bummer. The 22 is everyones favorite! It happened about 10 minutes into the shoot. ugh. Looks like I'll be calling spikes. Chunky, do you have any nylon washer's left?
I want to ask about the spare spring too, any advice?

Chunky_lover
07-12-2009, 7:19 AM
Just had the same issue today. Snapped the pin...It was a major bummer. The 22 is everyones favorite! It happened about 10 minutes into the shoot. ugh. Looks like I'll be calling spikes. Chunky, do you have any nylon washer's left?
I want to ask about the spare spring too, any advice?

There is a guy selling a recoil rod with machined in e clip, so its all solid. Under $14.
Spikes tactical says they are coming out with same product soon too, not sure if they are related. Since the guy doesnt take paypal im hesitant on sending in a MO, might wait to see how much spikes part will be. Here is the e mail address guiderodsales@gmail.com
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/septic-tank13/img_0837.jpg

I do have nylon washers left.

Flying Bones
07-12-2009, 8:26 AM
Ok...I didn't think I saw an eclip on your setup. It looked like just the washer. Did you have an e clip and the washer? The washer is the "buffer" right?

Sig357
07-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Is Spikes warranty transferable?

I purchased an upper from a fellow Calgunner, and am curious if they will replace a firing pin when I finally break one.

Chunky_lover
07-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Ok...I didn't think I saw an eclip on your setup. It looked like just the washer. Did you have an e clip and the washer? The washer is the "buffer" right?

Yeah I have a clip, and use the washer as a buffer, the pics above arent mine, but shows the solid rod that guy is selling, that way you never break a clip. If you break a clip it could cause your spring to get bent or eaten up by the rifle, and you will have to repair the parts before shooting.

Flying Bones
07-12-2009, 1:40 PM
Yeah I have a clip, and use the washer as a buffer, the pics above arent mine, but shows the solid rod that guy is selling, that way you never break a clip. If you break a clip it could cause your spring to get bent or eaten up by the rifle, and you will have to repair the parts before shooting.

Thanks for the clarification...maybe i'll risk it on the new rod.

Flying Bones
07-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Just got off the phone with Spikes. They are going to send me a new firing pin free of charge. I went ahead and ordered the firing pin and the field repair kit...which was a mistake, I only needed the field repair kit I think...now I will have 2 extra firing pins. Oh well.

dchang0
07-13-2009, 3:12 PM
Anybody try the improved guide rod yet? I'm eating through e-clips and nylon washers too quickly... Or would CMMG's guide rod work with the Spike's kit?

Flying Bones
07-13-2009, 4:18 PM
Anybody try the improved guide rod yet? I'm eating through e-clips and nylon washers too quickly... Or would CMMG's guide rod work with the Spike's kit?

I'm going to go for it. I'll let you know.

Gregchico
07-13-2009, 4:51 PM
Is Spikes warranty transferable?

I purchased an upper from a fellow Calgunner, and am curious if they will replace a firing pin when I finally break one.

Yep, it is transferable. They don't care who owns it, just that it works. Tom is great that way.

Didn't I send you an extra firing pin?

I've got over 12000 rounds on my first upper and yet to break anything. My basic philosophy is that if I have the replacement parts "in stock" I will never need them.

dchang0
07-13-2009, 7:42 PM
Thanks, Flying Bones. I've emailed the guy (thanks Chunky Lover), but he hasn't responded yet.

Gregchico: Are you saying you haven't broken the e-clip yet? Mine broke after about 750 rounds, and it was even being protected by the nylon washer Chunky Lover sent me.

I love shooting this gun, so I'll buy whatever parts I need to keep it running. Sure is nice to be able to go through a few hundred rounds in a range session and not spend more than $20 on ammo!

Sig357
07-13-2009, 7:46 PM
Yep, it is transferable. They don't care who owns it, just that it works. Tom is great that way.

Didn't I send you an extra firing pin?

I've got over 12000 rounds on my first upper and yet to break anything. My basic philosophy is that if I have the replacement parts "in stock" I will never need them.

Hey Gregchico,

That's good to hear. Yes you did send me one, and I am probably set for a while. I was just curious if Spikes would honor the warranty since I am not the original buyer.

Thanks again. I am really happy with this upper. Here is what she looks like.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z271/rickdvs1/DSC_0584.jpg

Gregchico
07-13-2009, 8:24 PM
Thanks, Flying Bones. I've emailed the guy (thanks Chunky Lover), but he hasn't responded yet.

Gregchico: Are you saying you haven't broken the e-clip yet? Mine broke after about 750 rounds, and it was even being protected by the nylon washer Chunky Lover sent me.

Yes, I'm saying that nor I, the total of 4 uppers I have owned/possessed, nor of my three friends that have ST-22 uppers for a total of 7 uppers have ever broken off an E clip. With that said, I do plan to add one of the heavy duty guide rods to my tool box when they come available from Spikes.

Problems I/we have had/seen:
1) My buddy did break a firing pin at 13,000-ish rounds. Oh well....
2) My first upper did have to back to Spikes last year for tuning out of the box (there was nothing I could do right to make that one work right), but since then it has been 99.9%. Only failures come after about 500-ish rounds when the chamber/gun are dirty. When a failure happens, I field strip the gun, wipe off the conversion and I'm good to go for a long while. It is going on 12000-ish rounds now.
3) I did have a rough chamber adapter in one of my .223 conversions that needed replacing as it would lead up in under 100 rounds. Sent the kit to them to "check out" and received a new unit 2 weeks later.

Yes, I'm totally a Spikes "Fan Boy" and love their products and customer service.

Sig357, I'm glad you like that upper. I almost sent you an email last month offering to buy it back as that was a great upper.

In case anybody is wanting the shorter magazines, Spikes has them on sale for $22 each in the ARFCOM section. I do believe their shipping is not cheap, but if you want a few or get together with someone.....

dchang0
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Holeeeeeee....

Wow, I'm just speechless. You got amazing round counts before failure there. Not sure why I broke a firing pin at 200rnds and an e-clip at 750... It's not like I'm running super-hot ammo here. Federal Bulk Blue Box for the first 500rnds and various brands for the next 250...

Ah well, at least it runs great. I can get near perfect performance with everything except CCI Mini Mags (which always had feeding problems--the bullet would scrape something and get deformed, which would then prevent the bolt from closing all the way) and Federal Auto Match, which is a little underpowered and causes stovepiping.

Everything else has been great--plink, plink, plink!

And then I get home and find the busted e-clip...

I love my ST-22 upper and will keep it, just want to make it run like a top so I can go compete with it.

dchang0
07-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey, are you guys using speed loaders for your Black Dog Machine mags? If so, what brand are they and where do I get them? I'd heard of a design that can load an entire mag in one action, not like the "thumb loader" by Christie's Products that BDM currently sells.

Gregchico
07-14-2009, 6:49 AM
I purchased one of BDMs speed loaders based on the 10/22 loader with their custom AR adaptor. It cost me just under $120 delivered during a sale they had at election time, but it is the best loader I have used for the BDM magazines.

I just tried to link it up on their web site for you but I can not find it so I'm guessing they stopped making it. I bet if you look around you can find one used, but even then I will bet it will not be cheap.

Flying Bones
07-14-2009, 8:08 AM
I purchased one of BDMs speed loaders based on the 10/22 loader with their custom AR adaptor. It cost me just under $120 delivered during a sale they had at election time, but it is the best loader I have used for the BDM magazines.

I just tried to link it up on their web site for you but I can not find it so I'm guessing they stopped making it. I bet if you look around you can find one used, but even then I will bet it will not be cheap.

I bought the same loader. It hurt when I paid for it but it was worth it. When I bought that loader he said it was the last one they had for sale. That was a few months ago. He said that they are working on a new design that hopefully wont cost too much...back then he thought it would be done in a couple of months...as I feared, it's not yet out, which is why I paid the big bucks.

dchang0
07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Oh well, guess I gotta wait. Thanks for confirming that they made one--I'd heard about it from others but never seen one for sale...

Flying Bones
07-14-2009, 6:28 PM
Still waiting for an address to send $$ for the guide rod...Maybe it's not a good idea to send this guy money.

Chunky_lover
07-14-2009, 7:20 PM
he sent me his address, if you want it pm me. I would rather wait for spikes, because they take credit cards, that way if there is a problem it can be dealt with easier, that guy only wants money orders.

Flying Bones
07-14-2009, 7:38 PM
he sent me his address, if you want it pm me. I would rather wait for spikes, because they take credit cards, that way if there is a problem it can be dealt with easier, that guy only wants money orders.

AJ? Is that they guys name at spikes? Made it seem like they weren't even working on it...maybe I misunderstood him.

Chunky_lover
07-14-2009, 7:53 PM
AJ? Is that they guys name at spikes? Made it seem like they weren't even working on it...maybe I misunderstood him.

I dont think the guy works for spikes, I think he makes them himself, and maybe spikes is copying his design. The one guy at spikes is tom I think.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=282&t=173292

dchang0
07-15-2009, 1:21 PM
I went ahead and ordered from the guy (Charlie, aka guiderodsales@gmail.com) via Postal Money Order.

Don't worry too much about the Money Order thing. Postal Money Orders are issued by the federal government, and as such, any failure to perform becomes a federal crime and is investigated by the Postmaster General as mail fraud. I buy things with Postal Money Orders all the time.

Will let you guys know how it goes with the guide rod when I get it--I'm hoping he made it tough enough to withstand thousands of rounds. God, I love my .22LR!

And yes, Tom is at Spike's Tactical. I think there's also an AJ over there too.

Flying Bones
07-20-2009, 8:03 PM
Got the new firing pin. How do you put that sucker in?

dchang0
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Are you talking about the firing pin or the guide rod? If firing pin, then you'll need a small pin punch (I think 1/16") to partially push the firing pin roll pin about halfway out. The firing pin roll pin is the one that goes horizontally across the bolt and has both ends showing, one on the right, one on the left. It crosses the firing pin perpendicularly and just above.

I wish it were easier to replace. It would be nice if it were completely field-replaceable like on 5.56 ARs.

dchang0
07-22-2009, 9:10 PM
I got the new guide rod from Charlie today. It's NICE. Seems to be made of stainless steel, nicely polished. It is a teeny bit longer and slightly thinner than the original guide rod, so the spring "waves" a little bit, but it's not anything problematic.

The butt end fits perfectly into the backplate of the Spike's kit.

Sig357
07-22-2009, 9:26 PM
I got the new guide rod from Charlie today. It's NICE. Seems to be made of stainless steel, nicely polished. It is a teeny bit longer and slightly thinner than the original guide rod, so the spring "waves" a little bit, but it's not anything problematic.

The butt end fits perfectly into the backplate of the Spike's kit.

Let us know how it shoots with the new guide rod.

dchang0
07-23-2009, 12:10 AM

Will do, though it may be a while before I get out to the range.

Flying Bones
07-23-2009, 4:41 PM
Are you talking about the firing pin or the guide rod? If firing pin, then you'll need a small pin punch (I think 1/16") to partially push the firing pin roll pin about halfway out. The firing pin roll pin is the one that goes horizontally across the bolt and has both ends showing, one on the right, one on the left. It crosses the firing pin perpendicularly and just above.

I wish it were easier to replace. It would be nice if it were completely field-replaceable like on 5.56 ARs.

Ok...Im missing something. I popped the roll pin you mentioned...ok. But when I put the new firing pin in and attempt to put the roll pin in it will drive right into the firing pin??? The only notch on the firing pin is to far forward on the bolt to allow the roll pin to clear. What am I doing wrong?

Flying Bones
07-23-2009, 4:53 PM
SON OF A. I don't have the right bolt! Did spikes make an earlier version?

dchang0
07-23-2009, 8:49 PM
SON OF A. I don't have the right bolt! Did spikes make an earlier version?

Yes, I think so. It sounds like you have the Ciener firing pin. See this photo--the notch is much further back than on the Spike's pin:

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/ciener-firing-pin.aspx

You got the old firing pin out, right? You should be able to tell from that which you need.

Also, check to make sure you are inserting the spring in the proper order--that might be a possibility for why you're having trouble with the new firing pin, if it turns out to be the same type.

Gregchico
07-23-2009, 9:29 PM
On top is a Ceiner pin, below is a Spikes.
Also make sure you have the groove up when installing the pin.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/DSC_1896.jpg

Yes, they did make an earlier version that was basically a Ceiner kit before they went to a nickled bolt.

Flying Bones
07-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I ground an extra new spikes version down but took off too long of a strip of metal, now the firing pin backs out to far after a fire and when struck delivers a light strike...I've got a ceiner coming from black dog.

dchang0
07-26-2009, 8:00 PM
Dang, that sucks! But oh well, the one coming from Black Dog is reinforced, so you're going to end up better off anyway.

Flying Bones
08-02-2009, 7:39 AM
Range report:
Spent all day at the range yesterday. VERY VERY IMPRESSED.
I finally took the time to do the work outlined at AR15.com, that paid huge dividends. There were a couple of FTE, but not enough to count. Everything worked great, still won't feed the Remington gold, but whatever.

Also, I bought one of the ceiner kits from marks armory for $135, just because it was cheap. That kit is a machine! I think I might prefer the kit over a dedicated. It launches the shells out (just like you told me blacktail :D ) and seems very solid.

Oh, the bad news is I burned up 1k rounds of .22lr. LOL.

Thanks for the help guys.

dchang0
08-30-2009, 6:16 PM

Finally got out to the range today. I took the Spike's to the SSA Steel Madness match in Norco. CRAZY FUN.

I think I shot maybe around 400-500 rounds. The .22LR rounds weren't enough to knock down the heavier steel plates, so I put seven to ten rounds on each one just for the heck of it.

The new guide rod ran super-clean--no busted e-clips for me any more! There is no visible wear on it or the spring.

And the Spike's kit ran clean too. I did get some stovepipes from the weaker Federal Automatch--maybe about ten per 500 rounds. Not great, but I've gotten pretty good at clearing malfunctions now, so I don't care.

The best part was when we got to clear the "shoot house." The steel targets were pretty damned close--maybe 10ft away. And the splashback from the .22LR rounds were minimal. I remember getting hit repeatedly in the chest by little fragments while peppering a particularly stubborn plate with repeated rounds.

It is so much fun to shoot this Spike's upper--I am going to have to buy a kit for my 5.56 AR so I can have some of my buddies shoot with me.

dchang0
09-06-2009, 4:42 PM
Ah, oh well. The new guide rod isn't working as well as it should. It's thinner than the original guide rod, and because of this, the spring bunches up a bit (zig-zag). And as a result, the rod is creating a kink in the recoil spring right where it ends.

The good news is that Spike's has put out their own guide rod for $7.95, but the bad news is that with their insane shipping, it won't be cheaper than these third-party one-piece guide rods. I can only hope that Spike's rod is as thick as it needs to be to protect the recoil spring.