PDA

View Full Version : Magpul "rebuild" kit legality question

Gryff
04-18-2009, 9:08 PM
I've seen postings on Calguns selling Magpul "rebuild" mag kits. I have three questions:

1) Were Magpul mags produced before the hi-cap ban?

2) Is it legal to use a Magpul rebuild kit to rebuild a standard GI magazine? (It wouldn't make sense that this would be allowed, but I'm not well-versed in the legality of rebuild kits).

3) What defines a "rebuilt" magazine? What parts are you allowed to replace? What original parts have to remain to qualify as a "rebuilt" magazine?

Thanks!

G17GUY
04-18-2009, 9:22 PM
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Frijolito1988
04-18-2009, 9:24 PM
No magpuls where not made prior 2k i belive,

yes you can COMPLETELY rebuild your old GI mags with magpul mags,

you can are allowed to use ALL the parts to assemble a magazine to rebuild your old high caps.

CA laws reguarding rebuid kits

1) Buy rebuild kits and keep them dissasembled just for the heck of it , or out of state fun

2) Rebuild pre 2k mags

3) Buy rebuild kits and rebuild them into 10 rounders 10/20 , 10/30 ect ect.

Jicko
04-18-2009, 9:32 PM
you can are allowed to use ALL the parts to assemble a magazine to rebuild your old high caps.

I challenge you to that.... I have an old high cap USGI mag.... I don't think i can use ALL the parts of a BETA MAG to assemble a magazine to rebuild it...

I don't think you can use ALL the parts to assemble a magazine to rebuild your old high cap mag at the same time.

thedrickel
04-18-2009, 9:39 PM
You can also use them to make 10/30 mags . . . use them out of state . . .

HiveDR.
04-19-2009, 5:50 PM
I read the letter from DOJ g17guy posted. It says nothing about using the "part kits" to build into a ten round mag as being legal. Where does the interpretation that you can use a kit to build a ten round mag come from?

Sorry if this has been answered before, I can find it.

shark92651
04-19-2009, 6:36 PM
I read the letter from DOJ g17guy posted. It says nothing about using the "part kits" to build into a ten round mag as being legal. Where does the interpretation that you can use a kit to build a ten round mag come from?

Neither does it explicitly state that you can assemble the empty magazine body and floorplate into a pencil cup but that would be legal too. Normally the law states what is illegal, and by infererence, anything else is legal.

G17GUY
04-19-2009, 8:15 PM
You may used 30 round mag parts to build 10 round mags. The mag parts are legal, and a 10 round mag is legal.

ohsmily
04-19-2009, 8:24 PM

Your post troubles my soul.

FACT: Disassembled magazine parts are legal to own/possess
FACT: 10 round magazines are legal to own/possess/manufacture

Why on Earth could you not legally use parts that never become a functioning high cap mag to build a 10 round mag and why are you worried about it......????????

SJgunguy24
04-19-2009, 8:33 PM

Dude a 10 round mag is a 10 round mag. I dosen't matter what you build it from or what it looks like, if you can't get more than 10 rounds of ammo in the thing then who effn' cares.

There are 10 round mags made with 50 round drums for the Thomson, 100% legal because they only hold 10 rounds.

Ohsmily, bro i'm with you. This is disturbing, the law is plain as day and if somone is worried about building a legal mag with legal parts they need to sell their guns and go play with cars.

bohoki
04-19-2009, 8:36 PM
what is that one boat that they change rotted planks every year and if it is the same boat since none of it is origional any more

oh yea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Bruce3
04-19-2009, 8:37 PM
Neither does it explicitly state that you can assemble the empty magazine body and floorplate into a pencil cup but that would be legal too. Normally the law states what is illegal, and by infererence, anything else is legal.

you forgot you need a bullet button for that pencil cup! dibs on first batch!

Sgt Raven
04-19-2009, 9:17 PM
I challenge you to that.... I have an old high cap USGI mag.... I don't think i can use ALL the parts of a BETA MAG to assemble a magazine to rebuild it...

I don't think you can use ALL the parts to assemble a magazine to rebuild your old high cap mag at the same time.

The PMags and GI Mags both use the same springs and you can then use their mag body, follower, and baseplate to repair your damaged pre-ban mags. :rolleyes: Then when the spring wears out, use the new spring to repair it.

RomanDad
04-19-2009, 9:18 PM
Your post troubles my soul.

FACT: Disassembled magazine parts are legal to own/possess
FACT: 10 round magazines are legal to own/possess/manufacture

Why on Earth could you not legally use parts that never become a functioning high cap mag to build a 10 round mag and why are you worried about it......????????
ohsmily made me: :)