PDA

View Full Version : Tons of uppers for sale in parts and accessories section

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 7:51 AM
Have you guys looked lately? its been flooded with uppers. Its 850 AM and I just saw like 5 posts of Bravo Co uppers. Seems like no one is buying for themselves but buying and reselling for profit. just crazy.. haha they range from 550-1000$
Orig cost was what? 475$?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174673
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=173247
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174655
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174222
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174571
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=174787

Hoop
04-18-2009, 7:55 AM
People are still asking a bit much for them, but yes the parts craze seems to be leveling off now.

nic
04-18-2009, 7:58 AM
^
Thank goodness. I hope that soon the prices will level off accordingly.

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 7:59 AM
too funny, they all posted all within a day or so.

whats also funny is that some people think they are going to make a 500$ profit!

Intimid8tor
04-18-2009, 8:04 AM
A bunch of people got their orders in from being backordered. We are seeing more stuff coming available. Uppers, lowers, LPKs, etc are all showing up more frequently.

I bought a lot of stuff over the last few months and I'll never regret the purchases I made. I really kept the prices in line and waited until I found something that fit my price requirements.

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 8:07 AM
I think those uppers were bought recently not backorders, Bravo co had listed those in stock a few weeks ago, and again last week or so.

also what happened to the housing market, will it happen to uppers too? be a flood of uppers and other stuff and drive prices down and people have to take a loss?

BillyGoatMachine
04-18-2009, 8:11 AM
I think those uppers were bought recently not backorders, Bravo co had listed those in stock a few weeks ago, and again last week or so.

also what happened to the housing market, will it happen to uppers too? be a flood of uppers and other stuff and drive prices down and people have to take a loss?

I hope only the greedy sellers will take losses and we'll be able to score them for pennies on the dollar:43:

Hoop
04-18-2009, 8:11 AM

No, but I think they will go back to retail prices by late summer. Also half a dozen for sale in the parts section is hardly a windfall - most large retailers are still perpetually out of stock.

wcnones
04-18-2009, 8:24 AM
This is the argument I made - the parts shortage was caused by two things: an AWB prompting people to buy rifle parts for a personal build, and would-be-rifle tycoons trying to profit off of the possible AWB.

Joe Builder buys one upper, Joe Gouger buys 10. Parts supplier runs out of parts, and John Builder can't buy one without looking for another vendor. The other vender sells one upper to John Builder, and Joe Gouger follows with another 10 upper purchses. And so on and so on...

Two things were bound to happen: Joe and John Builder would run out of money to build personal rifles with, and parts manufacturers would catch up with the demand cause by Joe Gouger.

What we see now is both things having occured. Everyone blew their wads, and there's no cash left in the pockets of builders to buy parts. Joe Gouger is frantically dumping all the uppers he hoarded onto the market, and it coincides with the catch up in manufacturing. What we'll see soon is an enormous supply of parts on the primary and secondary markets, with no builders left with any cash.

Prices will plummet. Joe Gouger will file BK and slither away. As jobs return, cash flow returns, and Joe Builder has a few extra bucks, he'll slowly start buying new stuff. But not for a while.

I hope Joe Gouger loses everything because of his greed. One of the reasons why Joe Builder has no cash is because he was forced to pay $300 for a BCG, $100 for an LPK, $1000 for a railed upper, etc etc.

missiontrails
04-18-2009, 8:27 AM
I know that I may be selling a BCM midlength upper monday, because the day after I bought it my Sabre Defense midlength shipped from an order I placed about a month ago. I won't be looking for "stupid" profit though. I think combined with the DD Omega rail and RRA BCG and charging handle, I will probably round up the price to net me $68 proffit. Those who are selling the barebones uppers for $650 or more are smoking crack.

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 8:45 AM
I agree, I mean sure, they had the opportunity to buy before anyone else did great. sell for a hundred or two of profit. but double the price! I feel sorry for the newbie that wants to build a rifle and end up thinking hes getting a deal buying a upper for 800 900$ when they can be had for 450-550$. that extra 300$ could have paid for a lower, parts kit etc.

Its one thing to make profit, but to sell something double the price, its if as they want to get a free rifle and a free lunch too!

Hoop
04-18-2009, 9:06 AM
One of the reasons why Joe Builder has no cash is because he was forced to pay $300 for a BCG, $100 for an LPK, $1000 for a railed upper, etc etc.

DON'T BUY THE DAMNED THING!

If you buy the thing at an inflated price all you're doing is feeding the "LOL 1000$ UPPER LOL" frenzy.

This stuff will calm down once people get it through their heads that an AWB isn't going to happen tomorrow.

JeffM
04-18-2009, 9:08 AM
Its one thing to make profit, but to sell something double the price, its if as they want to get a free rifle and a free lunch too!

There is so much ignorance in this thread it's tough to know where to start.

People buy and sell for profit every day to eat. It's called work. It's called business.

Do you have a 401(k)? Do you own a house? If you could go back and sell 2 years ago, would you? I sure as hell would.

I am not in the business of buying and selling guns but I have backorders that are coming due and bills to pay.

People change their minds. People loose their jobs. People want to earn some profit from their hard work or simple forsight.

I don't expect to take a loss on anything I sell, nor have I.

Buying and selling for profit is what this country was founded on. Look up the "Protestant Ethic" and do a little reading somewhere other than a gun forum where people ***** and moan because they missed the boat.

cheese
04-18-2009, 9:33 AM
I have a bcm upper posted for sale for 600 with handguards or 800 complete. Seems like a fair price to me. Considering these things sell out in minutes when there even available it doesnt seem like a huge premium.

Hoop
04-18-2009, 9:37 AM
I have a bcm upper posted for sale for 600 with handguards or 800 complete. Seems like a fair price to me. Considering these things sell out in minutes when there even available it doesnt seem like a huge premium.

If it sells it sells, if it doesn't sell it doesn't sell. That seems to be the most reliable metric right now.

Blacktail 8541
04-18-2009, 9:59 AM
I know that I may be selling a BCM midlength upper monday, because the day after I bought it my Sabre Defense midlength shipped from an order I placed about a month ago. I won't be looking for "stupid" profit though. I think combined with the DD Omega rail and RRA BCG and charging handle, I will probably round up the price to net me $68 proffit. Those who are selling the barebones uppers for $650 or more are smoking crack.

I don't think anyone would begrude you that amount. But the people who are marking up 5o to 100 % or more well that is a different story.

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Didnt miss the boat got my rifles last year.
just stating clearly that probably not coincidence that all 5+ BCM uppers showed up pretty much at the same time around a week or two they were for sale from Bravo Co's website a week or two ago and they show up on calguns.

Good luck on your sales haha :chris::thumbsup:

There is so much ignorance in this thread it's tough to know where to start.

People buy and sell for profit every day to eat. It's called work. It's called business.

Do you have a 401(k)? Do you own a house? If you could go back and sell 2 years ago, would you? I sure as hell would.

I am not in the business of buying and selling guns but I have backorders that are coming due and bills to pay.

People change their minds. People loose their jobs. People want to earn some profit from their hard work or simple forsight.

I don't expect to take a loss on anything I sell, nor have I.

Buying and selling for profit is what this country was founded on. Look up the "Protestant Ethic" and do a little reading somewhere other than a gun forum where people ***** and moan because they missed the boat.:chris:

Jwood562
04-18-2009, 10:56 AM
its all about "Hey i found some goods in stock, I will byuy 2 and make 100% profit so I will get mine for free."

I cant say I have not done this but I gouge on eBay where people are willing to be gouged. I was selling magpul trigger guards all day long for $40. So I would buy 3 at a time. keep one and sell two and have a free gaurd and $20 profit.

I have not gouged on here though because in my short life as a cal gunner all I have seen is fiendly people willing to help one another

gd-bh
04-18-2009, 1:16 PM
I'd say this is one of the first steps in the return to sanity of the market. Let these sit for sale for a month or so, credit card bills will come due, and the prices will start to fall. As the commercial vendors start to slowly get product, there are more choices available, thus buyers become less and less paniced, and sales will slow down even more.

I see nothing wrong with those selling for whatever the market will bear, but boy, don't expect any sympathy when the "bubble bursts", and supply catches up with demand, and you lose your money. There's an old saying "play with fire, you're gonna get burned"...

HK Dave
04-18-2009, 1:18 PM
These sellers are smoking some good ganja. I hope this bites them in the ***.

nicoroshi
04-18-2009, 1:33 PM
Karma is a powerful force.
I have seen it come around too many times to write it off as pure coincidence.
We don't have to do anything at all. The market will only bear what it will bear.
Some of the people gouging will make the sale, and some won't but all that are building bad karma will get theirs in the end one way or another.
Carry on about your lives, and worry not about what others are doing in the marketplace. Stick by your guns (figuratively, and literally), and the prices you're willing to pay for what you want.
Patience is rewarded more often than not.

Kishfisser
04-18-2009, 4:38 PM
If someone is willing to take the time to find these deals, and front the money. They deserve to sell to whatever end the market will support. The question is will these sellers making profits pay income taxes on the profits? That is where the "Karma" may lie. If someone is paying the taxes, they made a good positive investment. Impatience of the buyers to get something and the willingness to pay an arm and a leg only drive this side bussiness. Yeah it is rough seeing the insanely high prices, but I fight it by refusing to pay inflated prices. Not paying the prices will eventually bring the prices down.

A324
04-18-2009, 5:07 PM
The wise know that if you wait, you will be rewarded with selection and price.

rbetts
04-18-2009, 8:27 PM
Economics 101 and the law of supply and demand. Caveat Emptor!

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 8:40 PM
Yes, when THEY find the deal, but not when us fellow calgun'ers find the deal to share with fellow calgun'ers who want one for themselves, not for profit.

If someone is willing to take the time to find these deals, and front the money. They deserve to sell to whatever end the market will support. The question is will these sellers making profits pay income taxes on the profits? That is where the "Karma" may lie. If someone is paying the taxes, they made a good positive investment. Impatience of the buyers to get something and the willingness to pay an arm and a leg only drive this side bussiness. Yeah it is rough seeing the insanely high prices, but I fight it by refusing to pay inflated prices. Not paying the prices will eventually bring the prices down.

gobabygo
04-18-2009, 8:46 PM
Why bother buying parts when there's no ammo to shoot?

technique
04-18-2009, 8:55 PM
I overheard a few guys at the Reno show discussing their plans to buy lots of upper while there and resell them for profit.

Hope those that were genuinely looking for an upper for them selves got a chance to get one too.....

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 8:58 PM
If you look at gun broker, thats where 50% of the ammo is..
I just looked for 7.62x39 and saw TONS of ammo there. about 80% of those selling wont ship to CA.

A324
04-18-2009, 9:24 PM
If you look at gun broker, thats where 50% of the ammo is..
I just looked for 7.62x39 and saw TONS of ammo there. about 80% of those selling wont ship to CA.

It's all those darn 16 year olds using their parent's credit cards to order ammo I bet.

Mozzetti
04-18-2009, 9:37 PM
Some of you all need to start doing some research outside of this forum and understand markets better.

People are actually investing in gun parts and ammo instead of the stock market, gold, real estate, and CDs right now. Let's face there are better profits in this right now. There was an artical in the Wall Street Journal just the other day regards to this. It could get worse after they published that, but lately it is slowling down from what I can tell. People are going to start unloading some inventories after Obama's latest comments regards to the AW ban.

The sad thing is there are a lot of newbies and people that have no idea about guns and ammo that are jumping in and trying to make some cash. It is pretty funny actually. You are up against people like myself that have been into guns for 20+ years and people like myself that are salesmen by trade in my full time career.

I make some money on this stuff as I tell everyone I sell to, but I am by no means gouging. No way am I going to do this for free neither. I am offering a service and I am undercutting every gun show and dealer I know of. I pactically don't have to list anything on here anymore with all the PMs, emails and phone calls I get from people that are looking for stuff. If I don't have it I send them to who does, so it is not all about me. It is about getting people what they need when they need it.

I love being the lowest price with the best service. :) Especially being I am buying on the secondary market and I am still able to do it without dealer pricing. Plus I have more inventory than the dealers.

Next week I will be offering more uppers than ever and then I plan to cool it a while. I need to pay down the bills.

If you don't like the prices then just don't buy it. That is what regulates the market. Well if enought people do it, but that ain't about to happen for some time.

The Govt. will eventually take away our rights, but they don't do it overnight. They do it slowly without most noticing it.

Darklyte27
04-18-2009, 10:27 PM
moz, we need to talk, where should we set up shop?

Mozzetti
04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Now that Obama made those last comments maybe we should. I was waiting for something like that to buy more time in this. It wasn't worth investing in this until comments like that come out. He must be just thinking ahead towards being re-elected.

If he had said something the other way this all could have been very short lived. Yes, things would have skyrocketed, and some would have made a killing, but that is not what I am in this for.

Silicon Valley/Pennisula is place to set up shop. Plenty of money still here and very easy to beat out the rest of the dealers, atlhough most of them are not worth beating out. Pretty cool shops over all, but they need to figure out how to get what people want. I just don't like it when one or two of them are not at all that competitive. Maybe put them in check a little and let the strongest survive.

All and all I can't give up my full time job just yet. :)

doughboy334
04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
These threads pop up everytime a BCM upper goes on sale ;). You guys either pay to play or need patience. For me it was patience that finally managed to snag a BCM. Guns are not my whole world, hopefully they aren't yours either. Eventually stock will catch up with demand, and if you can't wait then be prepared to pay.

:)

doughboy334
04-18-2009, 11:05 PM
btw I'm not doing this again without doing research about the current market
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=138349

I sold my upper and Eotech $100 off from the price I got it, right when the craze was beginning lol :P

unamused
04-19-2009, 2:27 AM
so being a newbie just getting into the ar game....

What is a fair price for a complete upper?

mzagg
04-19-2009, 2:52 AM
Why bother buying parts when there's no ammo to shoot?

Haha so true..

But I agree, the pricing is outrageous right now.

Nessal
04-19-2009, 2:54 AM
so being a newbie just getting into the ar game....

What is a fair price for a complete upper?

IMO, 625-650 is a fair price for a COMPLETE upper in new condition. Of course you can find better deals from retailers once in a while.

Darklyte27
04-19-2009, 6:12 AM
depends what kind of upper, and when you buy it.
I got my Stag 2HL upper for 539$ Shipped and lefty models cost 50$ more

Californio
04-19-2009, 8:07 AM
In my opinion this sites primary purpose is to foster the 2nd Amendment and to reverse course on the many bad California Gun Laws. Many contribute $$, time, grey matter and energy to that end. I have learned so much about gun laws but also about how the general political game is being played in America and how to breakdown the current system in the Courts and burn the phones in the State Capitol.:)

So to all the contributors I salute you.

On the other hand many just signup to use Calguns as a commerce vehicle and nothing else. Econ 101 be damned, I consider it affront to the site owner to use this site for personal greed it is not the intended purpose of the site. I support the registered Vendors and ignore the unofficial markup men that seem to live only in the For Sale section of this site.

missiontrails
04-19-2009, 8:12 AM
IMO, 625-650 is a fair price for a COMPLETE upper in new condition. Of course you can find better deals from retailers once in a while.
Yes. The problem is that all these guys trying to make $100-300 on these "non-complete" uppers is that they don't realize that most of the newbie builders out there don't have BCG's either, which takes away most of the "sizzle" of paying $200 over list- for something that is still not ready to shoot. That is why all those carbine uppers are just "sitting" in the FS section. Pay $650, then add a BCG and CH, now you have a $850 upper- WITH STILL NO HANDGUARDS AND NO BUIS.

gobabygo
04-19-2009, 8:13 AM
What's up with all the thread crapping? ;) Just like we're not allowed to post comments about the outrageous prices in the for sale threads, I think people (profiteers) shouldn't be thread crapping in this thread where people are complaining about the insane prices for everything.

Darklyte27
04-19-2009, 8:52 AM
You got to wonder, how many did bravo co get? and how many will end up here? how bout calguns impose a 50 cents under 150$ and 1$ per item over 150$ listed! calguns can keep its server up and running hah

Californio
04-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I think that people that sell multiple copies of the same item should a least pay a vendor fee to the site, its not fair to the registered vendors that support the mission of the site on a daily basis.

There is a big difference in buying/selling on the For Sale thread for/from your personal collection, which I do, than abusing the For Sale thread as a quasi-vendor and cheating the site of vendor revenue.

Buying multiple copies of X and then turning them makes a Vendor in my eyes.

missiontrails
04-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I would not go so far as to say that someone who sells 2 or 3 uppers is a vendor. That is a stretch.

Darklyte27
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
is 1$ much to ask if you are making one to a few hundred profit?
or maybe donate?

my understanding is that vendors pay calguns to advertise on calguns, and in return we shop at the vendors. We are a pool of customers looking for places to shop and share knowledge amongst ourselves.

missiontrails
04-19-2009, 1:25 PM
Actually, I would pay $5 on any Item I sell over $100 just to support Calguns if there was a way for them to implement that.

Wildhawk66
04-19-2009, 1:32 PM
Actually, I would pay $5 on any Item I sell over $100 just to support Calguns if there was a way for them to implement that.

:thumbsup: I would too

nic
04-19-2009, 1:35 PM
Free market capitalism aside, it is slightly sketchy when you see members buy stuff off the for sale section here, then resell exactly those items a week later at inflated prices...

Richy
04-19-2009, 1:41 PM
I sold 2 BCM uppers at cost what I bought them from BCM. Just feeling nice since I have a couple dozen of them, don't plan on selling any others either :)

Darklyte27
04-19-2009, 2:00 PM
see, Ritchy is s a great calgun'er, I couldnt sell at cost as I would have to at least get the shipping and other small costs back and a small profit. If I had a few extra uppers right now, id sell them for at least 50-100$ max profit, for one, to help pay my bills because im unemployed, help out fellow calguners who are actually building a rifle for themselves.

Mozzetti
04-19-2009, 2:15 PM
see, Ritchy is s a great calgun'er, I couldnt sell at cost as I would have to at least get the shipping and other small costs back and a small profit. If I had a few extra uppers right now, id sell them for at least 50-100$ max profit, for one, to help pay my bills because im unemployed, help out fellow calguners who are actually building a rifle for themselves.

This is exacly what I am doing. Nothing is for free in this world. Small profits like $50 to $100 when you have to do a lot of work sourcing stuff is fine. My buyers can back me up as on my latest sale post.

I sold one of those BCMs to a guy for about a $50 profit after all the shipping charges from sourcing products from 3 different places to complete it.

Mike

Darklyte27
04-19-2009, 2:17 PM
moz, pm me, my cuz is in the market for a upper whenever you get more.

sreiter
04-19-2009, 2:50 PM
MOZ - same here pm me..giving a guy 50-100 over is ok if i want it now and cant get it

giving a guy 300 over...i'll wait it out . dont need it THAT bad

missiontrails
04-19-2009, 2:54 PM
My $68 profit still stands on my BCM Middy w/DD Omega 9, BCG and CH. It will probably be up tomorrow at some point, because my Sabre Defense Middy will be here Tuesday.

Jerkdog
04-19-2009, 3:42 PM
What's up with all the thread crapping? ;) Just like we're not allowed to post comments about the outrageous prices in the for sale threads, I think people (profiteers) shouldn't be thread crapping in this thread where people are complaining about the insane prices for everything.

Amen. I suggested something similar a few months back and got slammed by a few folks.

Mozzetti
04-19-2009, 5:28 PM
6 CMMGs and 2 Stags, 3 Double Star complete kits coming tomorrow and the next day. M4s. People are taking them already.

PM if interested. I am taking a break after these are gone.

Mike

HK Dave
04-19-2009, 5:36 PM
I sold 2 BCM uppers at cost what I bought them from BCM. Just feeling nice since I have a couple dozen of them, don't plan on selling any others either :)

Holy moly... couple dozen? :thumbsup:

JeffM
04-19-2009, 5:37 PM
This thread reads like something from the IRS or idiots that wear Che t-shirts :puke:

http://www.accountingworldcpa.com/images/irs1.jpg

http://www.hfontova.com/images/CHE.gif

maxicon
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM

For sale forums are for selling, not discussion. Discussion forums like this one are for discussion of the thread topic. That includes both sides of the story.

Comments in for sale threads are off topic, just like offering parts for sale in this thread would be off topic.

ETA: Mozetti's post, for instance, is off topic, and should be in the For Sale forum.