PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else SICK & TIRED of the term "assault rifle"??

ErikTheRed
04-18-2009, 12:48 AM
"Assault", as defined by the dictionary:

assault, pronunciation [uh-sawlt]

–noun

1. a sudden, violent attack; onslaught: an assault on tradition.
2. Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.
3. Military. the stage of close combat in an attack.
4. rape 1 .

–verb (used with object)

5. to make an assault upon; attack; assail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOT ONE of those defines me or ANY of my rifles. Its a demonizing term which suggests what one could do with a rifle, but it in NO WAY describes what I would, might, or will do with my rifles. Therefore, despite what the Kalifornia political hacks are trying to suggest, I do not own an assault rifle. Sure, if I were active military and fighting a war, then it would be an assault rifle as its helping me do exactly what I'm supposed to do-- assault the enemy. In which case, the enemy needs assaulting. But the term "assault rifle" as used by the likes of these nitwit liberal gun-grabbers and the mainstream media hardly describes military situations. They use it only to make the rifle seem evil, and to insinuate that the rifle itself in some way possesses it's owner, causing him/her to become an assailant when they otherwise would not be. When will they ever understand that guns do not think? They do not act? They have not working eyes nor opposable thumbs nor a heartbeat? That only the PERSON BEHIND THE GUN is bad, and not EVER the gun itself? Why won't they use the term "assault person"? Its seems its always the guns fault, never the bad guy. And if they mention the bad guy, then he's only bad because of the gun. What I own are defense rifles, so those A-holes need to get it straight! (yeah, right.)

defense, pronunciation [dee-fens]

-as verb, -fensed, -fensing.

–noun

1. resistance against attack; protection: Two more regiments are needed for the defense of the city.
2. something that defends, as a fortification, physical or mental quality, or medication: This fort was once the main defense of the island.

technique
04-18-2009, 12:50 AM
not really. Except when people use "assault weapon" to describe an Ca compliant rifle.

Richy
04-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Can't say that I am.

ErikTheRed
04-18-2009, 1:09 AM
I guess I'm just pissed off at the media and the politicians with their constant "assault weapon" drumbeat, and more importantly, the reason they do it. I also notice that no matter what rifle is used in a crime, its almost always an "AK-47". I really don't think the media realizes that theres any other kind of rifle in existence, and certainly none as evil or scary or dangerous.

nick
04-18-2009, 1:11 AM
I've no problem with the term 'assault rifle'. It's an accepted military term for mid-range medium powered select-fire rifle. Now I still don't know what the heck "assault weapons" are.

dchang0
04-18-2009, 5:46 AM
Well, we could always coin the term "assault politician" as in "assaulting our rights."

Hollywood7
04-18-2009, 5:56 AM
What else would the anti-gun media call it. They usually follow it up with "Military looking weapons". Their job is to scare people into thinking that anyone that owns a "Assault Weapon" is planning to shoot up a school or take over the government. Sure, there are a few whack jobs out there that use rifles for criminal purposes, but what percentage of gun owners is this? Every time some nimrod uses a gun in the commission of a crime it's one more reason the media & politicians have to start up the Assault Weapon ban talk.

kstocali
04-18-2009, 6:16 AM
Well, we could always coin the term "assault politician" as in "assaulting our rights."

Brilliant! I'm moving forward with this one!

B Strong
04-18-2009, 6:22 AM
The only people we have to blame are ourselves and the firearms manufacturers.

Look up the old HK print ads from the early 1980's.

Look at the "Assault Weapons" annuals put out by various publishers at the same time.

Remember gun shows in the old days? big banners "Assault Weapons!" at every other booth.

The media is wrong in it's usage of the term more often than not, but WE were the ones that brought the term into the civilian mainstream.

bartt
04-18-2009, 6:34 AM
I am sick of the term assault weapon, it's really meaningless.
As far as I am concerned anything pointed at me is an assault weapon. So we should start with Rocks and Sticks and go all the way to rifles and bombs.

An anology would be emergency status: When everything is raised to the level of "emergency" then nothing has a higher priority and none of it is an emergency.

Turbinator
04-18-2009, 6:49 AM
Count me in as SICK OF IT. It's just a rifle until it is actually being used to assault someone. Even then, if it's in self defense for example, the rifle itself is not evil.

I think the term "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" should be BANNED.

Turby

Variable2147
04-18-2009, 9:45 AM
There's nothing wrong or evil with the terms "assualt weapon" or "assault rifle". I agree the media does try to vilify firearms, but those terms describe the specific purpose in design. The "assault rifle" was designed for the military term "assault" "the stage of close combat in an attack". Just because you don't "assault" people doesn't change what it is. If you have a 4x4 and you don't go offroad doesn't make it a crossover.

Eroland7
04-18-2009, 9:48 AM
I like the term "tactical rifle"

chefdude
04-18-2009, 9:55 AM
Its that buzz word that stirs emotions among the Sheep......wouldnt a sling shot also be an assault weapon as well, or a car used in a hit and run...

supersonic
04-18-2009, 10:04 AM
AS far as the OP question: HELL YES!!!!!!!! "AR" doesn't mean "assault rifle", it originated from ArmaLite: AR-15 : Part/catalog # ARmalite (model) 15. What does "AK" stand for? Assault Kalashnikov???? People are really stupid.:rolleyes:

evan69
04-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I hate that "assault weapon" means anything they find to be scary looking or exotic. That's about it.

hellraiser
04-18-2009, 10:30 AM
the term assault weapon is the medias insult weapon...;)

Cal-Irish
04-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Bullet button equipped anything should be called something different entirely.

lorax3
04-18-2009, 10:48 AM
There is no problem with an "assault rifle" when used in proper context. Remember an "assault rifle" is defined in the penal code, so when used consistent with that definition it is fine.

I have an issue with the negative conotation of the phrase, as most people assume having an assault rifle means you are a criminal or build one illegally. They forget that many people own RAW's.

Also using Assault Rifle to define any other black rifle, even a bullet button build(Which is not an assault rifle in terms of the PC).

As far as the name itself goes, I can see where you are coming from. Why do they have to use the word assault? Well, blame those who commit crimes, or the movie Heat. :p

-lorax

ViPER395
04-18-2009, 11:17 AM
quite

supersonic
04-18-2009, 11:30 AM
? Well, blame those who commit crimes, or the movie Heat. :p

-lorax
YES!!! I'll be the first to admit that it was a great MOVIE, with realistic gunfighting.....but man, there are sooo many HEAT "fanboys" on CG alone that use the names & pictures of all the "bad guys" (basically:thieves & scumbags who will murder anyone who might get in their way) as their CG "handles" & avatars!!!!! I just don't get it. My avatars have always represented something about myself. Why would anyone want to associate their "image" with such despicable characters??? If you are such a HEAT fanboy, why not go with the goodguys (they were "bada**es," too, if that's what you are looking for!):confused:

EDIT: while going on this "rant," I found a great pic of Al (Vincent) shooting his FNC & decided to use it for a while!!!!!! Good Guys!!:thumbsup:

missiontrails
04-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I love to tell regular people that I have "assault rifles", it makes them think I have a screw loose.

fairfaxjim
04-18-2009, 2:31 PM
Not as sick as I am of the term "green" :mad:

Suvorov
04-18-2009, 3:13 PM
Nothing wrong with the term Assault Rifle. The term is an accurate description for the post WWII rifles that were designed for relatively close combat (300 yards or less) that had automatic fire capability and fired an intermediate cartridge. Seems to me that these rifles fit with the following definition:

Of course the rifles that the majority of us have access to are not assault rifles, they are semi-automatic rifles that share their lineage with assault rifles. I don't mind assault rifles being called assault rifles and I don't mind military style semi-automatic weapons being called military semi-automatic weapons or "tactical rifles." The two are NOT the same thing and thus should not be confused. Unfortunately the media as well as many uneducated gun owners do not make the distinction. In the case of the gun owners, it is largely ignorance just like "clip versus magazine" but in the case of the media, it is largely on purpose and meant to further their leftist agenda.

As far as the term "Assault Weapon" goes, it is purely a term designed by Hoplophobes who wish to scare the masses and further their agenda.

-hanko
04-18-2009, 3:39 PM
I like the term "tactical rifle"
Except "tactical" is what you do with the assault rifle, not the rifle itself;)

Bullet button equipped anything should be called something different entirely.
Maybe "Girly rifle":eek:

-hanko

pMcW
04-18-2009, 4:01 PM
Assault rifle does not bother me when applied correctly. When applied slightly incorrectly to reference military-style semiautomatic rifles, it only slightly bothers me (depending on the tone of voice with which it is spoken). I'm also not bothered by term battle rifle, which can be applied accurately to several of my rifles.

However, I am bothered by assault weapon, which seems to be the term that CA, the media, and the politicians use to vilify those military-style semiautomatic rifles that I like so much, and so many other completely unrelated firearms.

Assault rifle is valid military and historical classification of a certain type of firearm, just like machine gun, sub-machine gun, battle rifle, and so forth. Assault weapon is a made up term used by antis to categorize all "scary-looking" weapons that they don't want us to own, including many that are not the type of weapon that you'd seriously want carry when actually assaulting an enemy position (Walther P-22 with threaded barrel, for starters).

5150Marcelo
04-18-2009, 4:04 PM
not really. Except when people use "assault weapon" to describe an Ca compliant rifle.

Plus mutha freakin 1 !!!!!!!!

ErikTheRed
04-18-2009, 4:05 PM
Not as sick as I am of the term "green" :mad:

Oh dude..... BINGO. When I hear the word "green", my face turns a pale shade of "green" just before I hurl. Friggin' sick of that crap too.

I think my original post should have been titled "sick of the term assault weapon" rather than "rifle". The media uses "weapon" far more often. But as that other fella pointed out, since "assault" is actually the action taken, wouldn't anything be an assault weapon? A stick? A rock? A rubber band? A patty of meat from your triple cheeseburger? Anything one might use to assault someone is an "assault weapon", but the media ONLY uses the term to criminalize certain inanimate objects--- namely any rifle used in a crime.

5150Marcelo
04-18-2009, 4:05 PM
I even dubbed my kid "full auto" right now cuz he's got a stomach virus. His but is like an assault weapon. Just keeps sprayin out the poop!

mister dize
04-18-2009, 4:17 PM
What bugs me is how they make the word "semiautomatic" sound really really scary.

Semiautomatic high-powered rifle

I should start calling my 10/22 a semiautomatic low-powered rifle.

Weasel
04-18-2009, 4:25 PM
I wasn't sick of the term "assault rifle" until today!

Today I went to my favorite range to break in my new GSG-5 ( I know, I know... this is a centerfire forum, but it goes perfectly with this thread. Believe me, I posted this in the rimfire forum as well). I know that pistol caliber centerfire and rimfire is allowed at this range (it's indoor) so I thought I'd be good to go. When I went to sign in the guy behind the counter asked me what I had in my bag and I told him it was a GSG-5. He stated I couldn't shoot it. I was confused so I told him it was a 22 caliber and he stated that he knew that but they didn't allow "assault style" rifles at their range... I was BLOWN away! This is really disappointing because this was my favorite range to go to...

Anyone else think this is ridiculous????

Bob Ragen
04-18-2009, 4:26 PM
Lets call them SUR's Sport Utility Rifles. I saw this on another thread. Lets use it and get the term out to the public. I've been telling my freind to use the term.:44:

hoffman259
04-18-2009, 5:48 PM
How about just Utility rifle? Anyone else tired of every time there is a news strory they use the term assault rifle and show an AK or AR as the picture?

evan69
04-18-2009, 5:53 PM
How about just Utility rifle? Anyone else tired of every time there is a news strory they use the term assault rifle and show an AK or AR as the picture?

What I hate is when they call an AR and AK, or vice versa. It just shows how little they know/care about these guns, they just care that it looks scary and SHOOTS HEAT SEEKING DEER COOKING BABY KILLING BULLETS.

ugh.

Flogger23m
04-18-2009, 5:58 PM
Count me in as SICK OF IT. It's just a rifle until it is actually being used to assault someone. Even then, if it's in self defense for example, the rifle itself is not evil.

I think the term "assault weapon" and "assault rifle" should be BANNED.

Turby

I am not sick of the term assault rifle... I am just sick of how the media ect. label semi auto rifles as assault rifles, or an SKS, M14, Uzis and other firearms that are not assault rifles and never were.

As for assault weapon, I am sick of that term since, to my knowledge, it does not exist outside of the media. Though, believe the real meaning of an "assault weapon" is a rocket launcher or similar weapon, but I am not sure.

supersonic
04-18-2009, 6:24 PM
I wasn't sick of the term "assault rifle" until today!

Today I went to my favorite range to break in my new GSG-5 ( I know, I know... this is a centerfire forum, but it goes perfectly with this thread. Believe me, I posted this in the rimfire forum as well). I know that pistol caliber centerfire and rimfire is allowed at this range (it's indoor) so I thought I'd be good to go. When I went to sign in the guy behind the counter asked me what I had in my bag and I told him it was a GSG-5. He stated I couldn't shoot it. I was confused so I told him it was a 22 caliber and he stated that he knew that but they didn't allow "assault style" rifles at their range... I was BLOWN away! This is really disappointing because this was my favorite range to go to...

Anyone else think this is ridiculous????

Which range was this??????

Arteel
04-18-2009, 6:36 PM
The Gun Room.

ErikTheRed
04-18-2009, 8:13 PM
Lets call them SUR's Sport Utility Rifles. Lets use it and get the term out to the public.

Bad idea. Calling them "sport utility rifles" will just fire up those ignorant liberal media shills even more....... then they can demonize the evil rifles AND mention that they're gas-guzzling environmental nightmares that contribute to global warming. Before you know it, if they're not outlawed altogether, we'll be paying carbon taxes and having to register our guns with the DOJ and the EPA. They'll be calling for less-evil, environmentally-friendly green hybrid versions to cut down on emissions.

JTROKS
04-18-2009, 8:17 PM
What bugs me is how they make the word "semiautomatic" sound really really scary.

Semiautomatic high-powered rifle

I should start calling my 10/22 a semiautomatic low-powered rifle.

Then they should call AKs and ARs, "semi-automatic mid-powered rifle".

Seesm
04-18-2009, 8:23 PM
I hate the word assault for any of my guns personally YES.

BUt when I hear Assualt basball, golf club, wrist rocket etc etc I love it... :)

snupples
04-18-2009, 8:31 PM
"Sporting Rifle" sounds nice and innocent.

Unfortunately, until you get dictionaries (like American Heritage) to change their definition of "assault weapon" and "assault rifle", the media are going to continue to use the terms liberally.

There really is too much blame for "the media" here -- that term includes just about everything these days, including gun mags and even this forum. The real problem is firearm-ignorant news staff at major news organizations. They're not necessarily anti-gun, although ignorance of any subject often seems to come hand-in-hand with a fearful attitude toward it.

Most reporters aren't experts on firearms and are forced to report whatever informed sources tell them (which would almost always be a police spokesman). It's like this with any technical subject. These words are then checked by editors who may also be ignorant about firearms. If they were unsure, who do you think they would call? -- that's right, the guys who are trained with the guns: police.

Journalists are notoriously sensitive to accusations of bias. DO NOT accuse them personally of bias, but it wouldn't hurt to write and subtly imply that they may have unintentionally given that impression.

If you ever see a news story that unfortunately (although not incorrectly, according to the major dictionaries) calls an OLL-based rifle an "Assault Weapon" or an "Assault Rifle", politely point out to them that as a sporting gun-aficionado yourself, you find the term "assault rifle/weapon" to be offensive and politically-charged, and that in any case, "assault-style weapon" is more precise, and according to the AP-Stylebook, more objective and correct. There is a very important distinction there in that a "styled" weapon is not an "Assault Rifle", which traditionally refers to a full auto rifle, or an "Assault Weapon", which carries the close connotation of the highly political AWB. Well some of them may get it...

Weasel
04-18-2009, 9:19 PM
Which range was this??????

It was the Gun Room... Sucks because I liked going to that place...

Bongos
04-18-2009, 9:46 PM
well, it a hi-capacity hunting rifle... does that sound better?

a1fabweld
04-18-2009, 9:55 PM
My rifles are "sport shooting rifles" regardless of their looks. If I assaulted someone with them, then they could be classified as "assault weapons". I guess the next time I'm looking for a baseball bat, I should ask the kind folks at Big-5 to show me their selection of "assault bats" as well as baseball bats.

Weasel
04-18-2009, 9:56 PM
My rifles are "sport shooting rifles" regardless of their looks. If I assaulted someone with them, then they could be classified as "assault weapons". I guess the next time I'm looking for a baseball bat, I should ask the kind folks at Big-5 to show me their selection of "assault bats" as well as baseball bats.

That would be hilarious! Although, unfortunately, most people probably wouldn't understand what you were talking about... :(

a1fabweld
04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
That would be hilarious! Although, unfortunately, most people probably wouldn't understand what you were talking about... :(

They probably would understand & call the cops.:p

CALI-gula
04-19-2009, 12:01 AM
I propose the term "Defensive Rifle" - and I also propose people start using that term wide-scale, whenever discussing such firearms in the media and on websites.

As soon as some TV talking-head gets wind of it, they are bound to ask "What's a defensive rifle ?" and thus one could proudly say, "You know, AR15s, AK47s, HK MP5s, UZI's, etc." No doubt that will get some repeated play.

If firearm enthusiasts started using that term on a grand scale, it would really throw the anti-2nd Amendment folk for a loop, confound the politicians, and give the media hounds at CNN, ABC, NBC, and MSN a headache when we constantly correct them any time they use the term "Assault Rifle" - you would say "What's that? Oh, you mean a Defensive Rifle".

It would really turn their screw. Especially when you start using i's acronym as "DR".

( " Is there a DR in the house? " ) ;)

ErikTheRed
04-19-2009, 12:31 AM
I propose the term "Defensive Rifle"

Thats what I suggested in the OP...... "Defense Rifle", since thats PRECISELY what mine are specified for. If ever they were used for "assault", then I guess I wouldn't be bothered by the term "assault rifle".

Take, lets say, a classic wood-stocked bolt-action 30-06. If I use that rifle for hunting, its a hunting rifle. If I use it to defend my home, its a defense rifle. If I use it to sit in the gun cabinet and look pretty, its a collectable rifle. If I use it to shoot cans and stuff, its a hobby rifle. If I use it to compete in shooting events, its a target rifle. But if I use it to rob a bank and kill people in the process, THEN its an assault rifle. Oh, the many roles just one rifle can play.

Media scum constantly cry about "tolerance" and "diversity" and "stereotyping", yet not one among them is tolerant or diverse when it comes to my way of life, my guns and/or my Constitutional rights, and the word "stereotype" could be accurately defined by describing what those looney liberal media hacks do to my rifles on a daily basis. The whole thing just absolutely drips with hipocracy.

snupples
04-19-2009, 1:26 AM
Media "scum"? Yeah that'll help...

ErikTheRed
04-19-2009, 1:58 AM
Media "scum"? Yeah that'll help...

Call em as I see em, my friend. I'm not what one would call, "politically correct". If it walks like a duck........

Hollywood7
04-19-2009, 6:35 AM
We went through this a few years back when I used to play Paintball. It sems like something happened overnight that we couldn't call them "Paint Ball Guns" anymore... From here on out, they will be referred to as "Paint Ball Markers".

I thought then as I do now, that this is a ridiculous name for this type of "Gun"

Blacktail 8541
04-19-2009, 6:43 AM
Don't like the term, but it does not get under my skin.

By the way, you can thank Hitler for the start of that terminology.

ViPER395
04-19-2009, 8:25 AM
I mentioned this in another thread the other week:

At what point did paintball guns become paintball "markers"

We went through this a few years back when I used to play Paintball. It sems like something happened overnight that we couldn't call them "Paint Ball Guns" anymore... From here on out, they will be referred to as "Paint Ball Markers".

I thought then as I do now, that this is a ridiculous name for this type of "Gun"

Fate
04-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I vote for calling them LPW rifles.

(Liberal-Pants-Wetting)

rageagainst1984
04-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm a little tired of Komifornia calling SEMIAUTOMATIC rifles with detachable mags (with any of the seven deadly sins) assault weapons or anything that is really not full auto or select fire!!!

gunzor
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
I've never been fond of the term "assault rifle", but I don't mind that as much as people making posts about their new "toys". Every time I see "CHECK OUT MY NEW TOY" in a title, my teeth itch and my neck aches. I saw 3 posts in a row on another forum yesterday talking about the "toy that followed them home" and I almost punched my monitor.

Guns are NOT toys, people!

[/rant]:mad:

snupples
04-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Call em as I see em, my friend. I'm not what one would call, "politically correct". If it walks like a duck........

It has nothing to do with being "politically correct".

If you're not part of the solution......

RideIcon
04-19-2009, 4:38 PM
I am! especially when someones talking about a CA compliant firearm

Linus
04-19-2009, 5:18 PM
nope, the term "assault rifle" don't bother me.

jlb
04-19-2009, 5:27 PM

–noun

2. Law. an unlawful physical attack upon another; an attempt or offer to do violence to another, with or without battery, as by holding a stone or club in a threatening manner.
4. rape 1 .

–verb (used with object)

NOT ONE of those defines me or ANY of my rifles. Its a demonizing term which suggests what one could do with a rifle, but it in NO WAY describes what I would, might, or will do with my rifles. Therefore, despite what the Kalifornia political hacks are trying to suggest, I do not own an assault rifle. Sure, if I were active military and fighting a war, then it would be an assault rifle as its helping me do exactly what I'm supposed to do-- assault the enemy. In which case, the enemy needs assaulting. But the term "assault rifle" as used by the likes of these nitwit liberal gun-grabbers and the mainstream media hardly describes military situations. They use it only to make the rifle seem evil, and to insinuate that the rifle itself in some way possesses it's owner, causing him/her to become an assailant when they otherwise would not be. When will they ever understand that guns do not think? They do not act? They have not working eyes nor opposable thumbs nor a heartbeat? That only the PERSON BEHIND THE GUN is bad, and not EVER the gun itself? Why won't they use the term "assault person"? Its seems its always the guns fault, never the bad guy. And if they mention the bad guy, then he's only bad because of the gun. What I own are defense rifles, so those A-holes need to get it straight! (yeah, right.)

I'm not sick of it...I like it...it is a definition

read the 'Military' section of the definition on the OP....it is pretty much the definition of the gun....an "assault rifle" -- the stage of close combat in attack....that is what the rifle is for basically
yeah it doesn't have select fire and all the other exact features of an "assault rifle" as defined by the DOJ but.....

I just don't like how the media or people who aren't firearm enthusiasts use it in a negative manner saying that the only reason to have one is to kill a bunch of people at a school or your work place

ErikTheRed
04-19-2009, 7:28 PM
It has nothing to do with being "politically correct".

If you're not part of the solution......

Well you just go on ahead trying to catch those flies with honey and see where you end up. If you need some advice on that, might I suggest you Google Jimmy Carter or Neville Chamberlain for starters. That should help.

I'm not an appeaser. The mainstream media today is comprised mostly of un-American SCUM, and if that hurts their feelings, tough crap. I ain't gonna play nicey-nice word games, and I'm not gonna give hugs and sing Kum Ba Yah just so they "feel" better. If they're gonna act like nimrods, then they should be prepared to be called nimrods. Or in this case, scum. The end.

Fate
04-19-2009, 7:46 PM
I've never been fond of the term "assault rifle", but I don't mind that as much as people making posts about their new "toys". Every time I see "CHECK OUT MY NEW TOY" in a title, my teeth itch and my neck aches. I saw 3 posts in a row on another forum yesterday talking about the "toy that followed them home" and I almost punched my monitor.

Guns are NOT toys, people!

[/rant]:mad:

Once upon a time, long ago, I made this for someone else who shared your passion. :)

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_91/221_146/boombooms-vi.jpg

SCMA-1
04-19-2009, 7:51 PM
I say we all renounce these senseless weapons of mass murder.......we should at least do it for the children!:)

rumble phish
04-19-2009, 7:56 PM
I, for one, am sick and tired of the term "assault" rifles.

From this point forward, I shall only refer to these weapons as "apepper" rifles!

So it is said, so it shall be done!

RomanDad
04-19-2009, 8:44 PM

–noun

4. rape 1 .

–verb (used with object)

defense, pronunciation [dee-fens]

-as verb, -fensed, -fensing.

–noun

1. resistance against attack; protection: Two more regiments are needed for the defense of the city.
2. something that defends, as a fortification, physical or mental quality, or medication: This fort was once the main defense of the island.

I am....

I have begun referring to them as "modern, semi-automatic rifles."

And for some very important reasons, the rest of you should as well.

ErikTheRed
04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
"Assault" is an action. Referring to our rifles as "assault" connects that action to the item, and instantaneously we all become "assailants" simply because we own an item that is capable of assault. And that is the media's agenda! IMO, just because I own something that is capable of assault does NOT justify using the word "assault" in its name. Using that logic, I guess I'll correctly refer to my golf clubs as assault clubs.

Sure, I understand the arguement, that my golf clubs were not designed nor ever intended for the purposes of assaulting anyone, even though they could be used for that purpose. I understand that an AR-15, for example, was designed and built for that purpose. But isn't it equally logical to deduce that an AR-15 was also designed for reliable defense against assault? So why does everyone insist on only "assault"? Is it the cool factor? "Assault" sounds way more cool and mean than "defense", right?

Either way, to me, its kinda like saying that everyone who drinks a beer or has a shot of whiskey does so for the sole purpose of getting drunk simply because both contain alcohol. Personally, I drink beer because I like beer. Ain't been drunk in years.