PDA

View Full Version : My first from scratch build.

VaderSpade
04-17-2009, 7:15 PM
http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Dscn6324.jpg

I started with a RRA stripped lower, and a “V-Match” Bushmaster stripped upper.
I have a target gun so I wanted to build a light quick home defense gun.
Barrels have been hard to come by but I picked one up right here on CalGuns.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=172684&highlight=barrels
Thanks Matt, It seems like a great barrel.
The upper was tight and needed some work, but after a quick trip to the Reno gun show to get the last few small parts, I took it out for a test drive.
For the most part everything worked great; I had a couple of misfires, and on close inspection the firing pin wasn’t leaving much of a mark on any of the primers. I used the forward assist, and I am sure the bolt was fully closed.
If anyone has an idea why the firing pin is not hitting very hard I would appreciate a heads up. I plan on stripping the bolt a little later and checking it out. I do have extra firing pins so I will check the length, and make sure it's clean.

tomd1584
04-17-2009, 7:18 PM
looks good!

Lone_Gunman
04-17-2009, 7:20 PM
Whats that optic? Im starting to think I need (read want) something other than iron sights.

VaderSpade
04-17-2009, 7:28 PM
Whats that optic? Im starting to think I need (read want) something other than iron sights.

Just a cheapy ($59.00) TruGlo I picked up at Cabelas today. I played paintball for years with these red dot scopes. I figured for home defense go with something I'm used to shooting people with.

Jesse996r
04-17-2009, 7:46 PM
What gas block did you use? did you have to drill to install the gas block? was it hard to line up the gas block? What did you use to cut and polish the feed ramps, and was it hard? I'm thinking about doing the same, but just wanted to know how easy it was to assemble the upper. Sorry for all of the questions, but I would like to get it done right, and with easy. Thanks, Jesse

VaderSpade
04-17-2009, 8:06 PM
What gas block did you use? did you have to drill to install the gas block? was it hard to line up the gas block? What did you use to cut and polish the feed ramps, and was it hard? I'm thinking about doing the same, but just wanted to know how easy it was to assemble the upper. Sorry for all of the questions, but I would like to get it done right, and with easy. Thanks, Jesse

I used this gas block; http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23163&title=AR-15/M16%20LOW%20PROFILE%20STEEL%20GAS%20BLOCK

The gas block and tube were cake, everything lined up perfectly, no drilling. I used a drimel with a diamond cone bit for the feed ramps (cheap at harbor fright). That took all of 10 minutes, and most of that was checking and re-checking.
I had and would recommend a upper vise block, and barrel wrench. All in all it was easy.

Jesse996r
04-17-2009, 8:08 PM
Cool... Thank you for the info.

rabagley
04-17-2009, 8:13 PM
The light strikes probably have something to do with how the trigger is installed and specifically if the hammer spring is oriented correctly.

Get someone who knows AR triggers to examine how yours is installed or locate a properly functioning AR lower and put them side by side for a comparison of how the springs are installed.

VaderSpade
04-17-2009, 8:20 PM
The light strikes probably have something to do with how the trigger is installed and specifically if the hammer spring is oriented correctly.

Get someone who knows AR triggers to examine how yours is installed or locate a properly functioning AR lower and put them side by side for a comparison of how the springs are installed.

Thanks, I will double-check that. I have built several lowers, with no problems, but it's worth a look.

jbooker9
04-17-2009, 8:32 PM
Nice build

DREADNOUGHT78
04-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Good job! I have one of Matt's barrels on my bedside Carbine I have yet to fire it as I just got the last few front sight base parts today! But I already plan on ordering another from him.

hybridatsun350
04-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Just a cheapy ($59.00) TruGlo I picked up at Cabelas today. I played paintball for years with these red dot scopes. I figured for home defense go with something I'm used to shooting people with.

Lol! Excellent answer! :D

Matt P
04-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey, nice write up, Im with ragabley on this.
I also think its how you have the hammer spring on the hammer.
Its easy to put it on so that the legs of the spring are not orientated correctly.
Thanks for the buiness.. Looks great.

VaderSpade
04-18-2009, 6:06 PM
Ragabley, and Matt P,

You’re both right, although the springs were pointing the right direction the spring was upside down, or backward, or something.
Sometimes you learn more by making mistakes than by getting it right every time. I will never make that one again.
I took it out today and ran 80 round through it with out a flaw. This is a home defense gun so I didn’t shoot it over 50 yards, but just leaning on the car my groups were in the ½” range at 50 yards (nice barrel).
Then we sat clay pigeons out at about 50 yards, and took turns emptying a clip at a time at them. Buy the time we were finished I was hitting 9 or 10 pigeons in about 10 seconds.

roc
04-21-2009, 9:48 AM
Nice scratch built. I'm contemplating doing one myself soon. Roughly how much $$ and time do you think you put in to it altogether?

VaderSpade
04-21-2009, 5:05 PM
Nice scratch built. I'm contemplating doing one myself soon. Roughly how much $$ and time do you think you put in to it altogether?

Barrel $170.00
stripped upper $160.00
stripped lower $200.00 + $25.00 doj
bolt carrier group $180.00
LPK $70.00
Stock $65.00
gas block, delta ring group, gas tube, hand guard, charging handle; total $80.00
red dot sight $60.00
I think that's about it. Time wise it was just 1/2 hour here and a 1/2 hour there, as parts came in. Just a few hours altogether.
Now tools, that’s another story, I don't want to add those up. Those little go, no go gages are expensive.

VaderSpade
05-01-2009, 7:53 AM
Two more builds, and my first 80% receiver.

http://www.randysrockshop.com/calguns/Dscn6356.jpg