PDA

View Full Version : Buttstock options for featureless with MM grip?

Fjold
04-17-2009, 4:40 PM
I have a featureless AR style rifle with the MM grip and an A2 buttstock. I'd like to change to a different buttstock that would work with the MM grip.

Any suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/EBR.jpg

Wildhawk66
04-17-2009, 4:55 PM
Rock River Arms Entry stock with Fulton Armory's adjustable butt plate installed. Not as short as an Entry stock (too short in my opinion), but shorter than an A2 stock. Also allows for adjustable length and rifle height in relation to shoulder position (requires a tool to adjust). This is my favorite MM grip build stock and it's perfect for a Eotech build like the one in your post.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/wildhawk66/IMG_5351.jpg
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp110/wildhawk66/IMG_5352.jpg

Fjold
04-17-2009, 7:26 PM
The only issue I have with it is that I have an extra 1/2" thick buttpad on my A2 stock because it fits me better. I really don't want to go shorter.

bobfried
04-17-2009, 7:38 PM
The only issue I have with it is that I have an extra 1/2" thick buttpad on my A2 stock because it fits me better. I really don't want to go shorter.

You must be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, seriously, no one I know that's under 6'5" would think that an A2 with a 1/2" buttpad is perfect. Where's your cheek-weld? Are you already shooting NTCH (Nose To the Charging Handle) and can be comfortable with such a long stock? I'd be VERY SHOCKED if you were shooting NTCH with such a long stock as that would give you an unreal length of pull, ala Michael Phelps. Most people up to around 6'2" will find anything past the 2nd notch on a collapsible too long if they are shooting NTCH.

I personally run a Sully stock which I find perfect for my LOP and NTCH shooting style. It is slightly longer than the RRA Entry stock and also offer a 1" butt pad to put it out a bit further. It's about the same length as Wildhawk66 setup with his adjustable butt plate.

Fjold
04-17-2009, 7:54 PM
I have my custom and adjustable stocks built to a 14" length of pull on all my rifles.

Jicko
04-17-2009, 8:19 PM
ANY non-telescoping stock..... A2, Entry, ACE-FX, ACE-FX-E, Magpul PRS, and many others...

Variable2147
04-17-2009, 8:36 PM
i dont mean to hijack but i was wondering if anyone has trimmed an a2?

my next build will be mmg/featureless and i would like to trimm an a2 to the exact same length as my CTR on the second position back

my worry is that the buffer tube might get in the way or maybe something else im overlooking.

Hopi
04-17-2009, 8:58 PM

my next build will be mmg/featureless and i would like to trimm an a2 to the exact same length as my CTR on the second position back

my worry is that the buffer tube might get in the way or maybe something else im overlooking.

Why not just use the CTR stock and 'permanently' fix it in the 2nd position?

gemini1
04-17-2009, 9:01 PM
Wildhawk, why is the the Fulton adjustable butt plate mounted like that? can it be mounted in the same alignment as the stock? or if not, is there an after market butt plate that will fit the RRA entry stock to extend it by at least 2"?

Variable. That also cross my mind, though in my case I was thinking about trimming the A1 stock, I'm just not sure if the the buffer tube short enough to allow such trimming.

bobfried
04-17-2009, 9:02 PM

You can't as the buffer tube runs all the way back. To have what you want just get a Sully stock with a 1" spacer, it is exactly where a CTR is on the second notch.

Variable2147
04-17-2009, 9:08 PM

I am doing two different builds and I want to keep my ctr for my bullet button build.

Does the sully stay flush with the mmg fin? Or maybe an entry with a thick pad will do the trick. I've seen something like this in the mmg pic thread in the pictures forum.

Jicko
04-17-2009, 9:12 PM

HOW to permanently fix a CTR?

Wildhawk66
04-17-2009, 9:14 PM
Wildhawk, why is the the Fulton adjustable butt plate mounted like that? can it be mounted in the same alignment as the stock?

Sure, it can be mounted flush with the edges of the stock. I have it set-up this way as this is the best set-up for me for fast heads up targeting with an Eotech.

The butt pad is completely adjustable (with an allen wrench) and allows:
1) the length of pull to be changed,
2) the pad to be mounted higher, lower or flush with the stock.
3) the vertical plane of the buttpad adjusted so that it is different than that of the rifle (twisted or pivoted left to right on it's center point).

Hopi
04-17-2009, 9:22 PM
HOW to permanently fix a CTR?

Send 2 of them to me. I'll mod them and send 1 back to you. :thumbsup:

Wildhawk66
04-17-2009, 9:23 PM
To clarify the funtion of the Fulton butt pad, you can:

Loosen the screw on the back of the pad to move it vertically as far as the groove seen in picture #2 allows (in either direction).

or

Loosen the two screws on the right edge of the pad in picture #2 to slide the pad (mounted on an aluminum rod) front to back or to twist it

Jicko
04-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Send 2 of them to me. I'll mod them and send 1 back to you. :thumbsup:

Why don't you just post a "how to".... to help out the community.... I don't really have a need for a fixed CTR.... since my fav fixed stock is still the ACE-FX....

Fjold
04-18-2009, 7:48 AM
ANY non-telescoping stock..... A2, Entry, ACE-FX, ACE-FX-E, Magpul PRS, and many others...

I'm trying to get away from the A2/entry stock look, I like the Ace-FX-E but feel that it will considered a thumbhole stock, The MM grip doesn't come close to filing the gap to the FX and magpul PRS stock bottom lines.

Thanks

gemini1
04-18-2009, 9:27 PM
Thanks Wildhawk. I'm waiting for an RRA entry stock I got at the FS thread. I might go your way with the Fulton butt pad if I find the stock a little short for me.